Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:04   #31
BANNED

Re: Need suggestions for a bike - 125 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Thanks for your response.

1) Usage - Fully in Bangalore traffic around 15-20kms per day.
2) Nope
3) Learning towards Function.

-Arun
You need low and mid-end performance, having a general hatred towards Bangalore traffic I would any day suggest to opt for a motorcycle with a self-starter because idling for extended periods doesn't do anyone any good.

But there is a tradeoff here, anything with a self-starter would come with considerable amounts of fibers, and in Indian riding conditions, fewer fibers translate to more peace of mind considering the possibility of damage and cost of replacements that is part of owning a motorcycle with fiber components, if not at least go for one with better part quality and cheaper spares.

Ideally going by the above statements and your requirement for pillion comfort the Bajaj Platina Comfortec is an ideal choice because;

1. Commuter friendly ergonomics and better(over 10mm) suspension travel at both ends considering competition as well as best in class ground clearance.

2. Tourquiest motor in class with 11.8mm stroke over bore dimension. Hauling loads would not be a matter of concern riding two up, and then there's exhaustec which makes a world of difference in how the motorcycle puts down torque at the rear wheel.

3. Bajaj spare quality, pricing and availability is an added bonus if considering longterm reliability and feasibility.

4. The motor is designed to run at peak efficiency hence why it comes with a DTSi head, which would translate to better fuel efficiency and throttle response.

5. Finally what seals the deal is that the Platina Comfortec has all-around DC electricals, which I believe is a first in the sub 150cc category, and just to note even most 150cc motorcycles of today come with AC electricals.

There are more advertised attributes such as better density seat foam etc, but I really don't bother myself with such specifics as they don't make much of difference in the long run.

Anyways do take a test ride and share your thoughts on the same.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Geared commuter bike under Rs 70,000?

I am one of those who believes that "commuter bikes" is just a euphemism for cheap nonsensically outdated bikes that are only lapped up by poorer economies. Nothing stands out on the commuter bikes to me.

This might just be the enthusiast in me, but I swear I feel like there is sense to this one as well. I would suggest taking a look at the Hero Impulse. The tall seating position might give you an edge when it comes to predicting what's ahead in Bangalore traffic and the long travel suspension will provide far better comfort than any commuter bike would. The footpegs will allow you to more easily stand up if you encounter a sudden pothole or undulation that you aren't prepared for (quite common on Bangalore's terrible roads) and the frame which is made of a higher tensile strength steel, ought to withstand any abuse you chuck at it.

In my opinion this would be one of the ultimate commuter bikes. Although I would request ashwinprakas to pour in his insights since he is the most experienced here when it comes to no nonsense commuting on two wheels.
Old 23rd August 2018, 20:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:

2) Nope

-Arun
Suggest the following

1. Honda Shine
2. Victor
3. Unicorn
Old 23rd August 2018, 21:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:

2) Nope

-Arun
My suggestions:

Honda Shine/ Shine SP
Bajaj Discover 125

Discover has slightly more power and torque than Shine. Both gives you disc brakes upfront, with Shine offering CBS.

Discover is very fuel efficient, while Shine is more refined. Both are no nonsense bikes and will serve you for long.
Old 24th August 2018, 00:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:

2) Nope

-Arun
Check out the New X-Pro, lower cc but function wise it fits well. New Engine, no issues reported till now.

I would also suggest Glamour or Super Splendor from Hero - 125cc bikes have lower complaint ratio than even Splendor/Passion 100cc bikes.
kumarshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 10:49   #36
BANNED

Just a few thoughts,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Suggest the following

1. Honda Shine
2. Victor
3. Unicorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
My suggestions:

Honda Shine/ Shine SP
Bajaj Discover 125

Discover has slightly more power and torque than Shine. Both gives you disc brakes upfront, with Shine offering CBS.

Discover is very fuel efficient, while Shine is more refined. Both are no nonsense bikes and will serve you for long.
The Honda Shine is an awesome and underrated performer which is leagues ahead of the Honda Unicorn, the only reason it doesn't sell as much is due to the Indian co-relation between displacement and status. The only downside of ownership would be Honda's reputation when it comes to after sales support and spare availability which is less than ideal for high mileage users.

The Victor comes with Hazard lights from factory which is unique but thats where the unqiueness ends, its a premium variant of the TVS Star City Plus, though much was expected of the new Victor but sales figures say otherwise, which I guess is why there are not so many long term ownership reports out there.

The Discover 110 and 125 have been gaining reputation on the road, both being long stroke motors are well suited for commuting in bumber to bumber traffic, but what I'm a bit doubtful about is the electricals, do they also come with the all DC setup like the Platina Comfortec? If not then I would still weigh in on the Comfortec due to it meeting the OP's requirement and coming with DC electricals. A friend rides the Discover 125 which is his official mode of transport, as per his report the first 10k km's was done in roughly 90 days and the maintenance was mostly trouble free, have asked for a more recent update, will post when available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
Check out the New X-Pro, lower cc but function wise it fits well. New Engine, no issues reported till now.

I would also suggest Glamour or Super Splendor from Hero - 125cc bikes have lower complaint ratio than even Splendor/Passion 100cc bikes.
X-Pro has a shorter stroke, good for highways not so much for bumper to bumper riding. Plus it has a higher compression ratio in comparisson to competition, unless someone who puts at least 15k km's PA vouches for it I would not bother taking the leap of faith.

As for yesteryears 125cc blocks from Hero which is identical on the SS and Glamour is one of the best motors for commuting and offroading considering that it puts down torque way down low, peaking at 4k RPM's which is why some call it the Bolero of 2 wheelrs, but they do not fare well in terms of reliability and can never be compared to the likes of the 100cc Splendor iterations simply due to the the former being based on the latter and the latter having a reputation of being one of the most reliable motorcycles in the world, there is a documentary about the same on YouTube.

Old 25th August 2018, 11:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

The Discover 110 and 125 have been gaining reputation on the road, both being long stroke motors are well suited for commuting in bumber to bumber traffic, but what I'm a bit doubtful about is the electricals, do they also come with the all DC setup like the Platina Comfortec?
Yes, they do come with DC powered electricals (MF battery) with LED DRLs. At the startup, DRLs are turned on. When you switch to the high beam, halogen lamp turns on, while the LED ones goes to low beam. Both front (low beam) and rear lamps are LEDs, which consume less power.

Here's a picture of the headlamp with LED DRLs.
Attached Thumbnails
Geared commuter bike under Rs 70,000?-img_20180825_113918.jpg  

Last edited by knightrider_7 : 25th August 2018 at 11:41.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 12:33   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Yes, they do come with DC powered electricals (MF battery) with LED DRLs. At the startup, DRLs are turned on. When you switch to the high beam, halogen lamp turns on, while the LED ones goes to low beam. Both front (low beam) and rear lamps are LEDs, which consume less power.

Here's a picture of the headlamp with LED DRLs.
I was skeptical about whether the headlight bulb would also be DC powered as in normal cases only the pass circuit and DRL's are DC powered whereas headlight circuit is AC powered for commuter motorcycles.

My friend and fellow enthusiast also confirms that the headlights are also DC powered, which is a welcome addition, all the more reason to go for the motorcycle.

As per his latest report his official motorcycle has covered 40k+ km's in under a year with total maintenance bill coming to over 5k+ which is commendable considering that the motorcycle was serviced at the SVC.
Old 25th August 2018, 18:03   #39
BHPian

My money would be on the Yamaha FZ: Though a 150 and a couple of thousand bucks over the tag / segment suggestions you're looking at, you'll be more than happy with it. Moreover, it ages well (if at all) and retains resale value well. Frugal to maintain too. The additional 25cc of engine go towards hauling an occasional pillion.
And the kid's personal brand equity among friends/peers wouldn't be too badly affected when he's seen astride a Yamaha FZ
Old 20th November 2018, 21:58   #40
BHPian

Kind advise please
Looking for commuter bike.
Usage : daily 30-50km
Comfort level : Must have good comfort level for rider only. Large seat a must
Mileage : minimum 50kmpl
Budget : 80k on road (Mangalore)
What are the options
Old 20th November 2018, 22:41   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Kind advise please
Looking for commuter bike.
Usage : daily 30-50km
Comfort level : Must have good comfort level for rider only. Large seat a must
Mileage : minimum 50kmpl
Budget : 80k on road (Mangalore)
What are the options
Bajaj Platina Comfortec.

The lowest FE a 100cc motorcycle can return is 50Kmpl+, so that fits your requirement.

Comfort is best in class hence the name Comfortec.

Cost would be in the 60~70k bracket considering recent price update, hence that fits as well.

Only downside I've felt is that the motor is a bit too torquey(long stroke motor) down low for my taste, though since the intention is commuting that would be considered as an advantage as there'd be lesser need for frequent shifting and would be well suited for a more mature rider.

*Claimed mileage is around 100Kmpl but we all know too well how that works out in real world conditions, hence personally I just expect half of what company claims irrespective of displacement.
Old 24th November 2018, 16:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

I just took a pic of my Discover125, which turns 15 years old in Feb. Haven't spent a paisa on maintenance, other than normal service. Electricals pose no issues and I have not changed horn etc, so it's stock. It's done 90,000 KMS, and I'll be replacing it with a scooter soon. Bike looks like it's out of the showroom, having received Mother's and Meguiar's wax polish throughout, and is already sold to a Manager in my Bldg. - With a heavy heart, I'm letting it go! So in a nut-shell the Discover is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The Discover 110 and 125 have been gaining reputation on the road, but what I'm a bit doubtful about is the electricals. A friend rides the Discover 125 which is his official mode of transport, as per his report the first 10k km's was done in roughly 90 days and the maintenance was mostly trouble free, have asked for a more recent update, will post when available.
Attached Thumbnails
Geared commuter bike under Rs 70,000?-image12.png  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 19:18   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I just took a pic of my Discover125, which turns 15 years old in Feb. Haven't spent a paisa on maintenance, other than normal service. Electricals pose no issues and I have not changed horn etc, so it's stock. It's done 90,000 KMS, and I'll be replacing it with a scooter soon. Bike looks like it's out of the showroom, having received Mother's and Meguiar's wax polish throughout, and is already sold to a Manager in my Bldg. - With a heavy heart, I'm letting it go! So in a nut-shell the Discover is
Well, sadly they don't make motorcycles like those anymore.

The new Discover's have nothing to do with the one you own except for maybe sharing the name.

The batches after the AHO rule have had electrical issues/inconsistencies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks