Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 16:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode

Google Maps now offers a 2 wheeler mode - with lower destination ETA and extra short-cut route suggestions. I hope the new two wheeler mode does not include instructions like "now take the footpath and save 5 mins"

Car Mode:

Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode-screenshot_20171205155307.png

Two Wheeler Mode:

Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode-screenshot_20171205155316.png

ET Article:

Google will rescue bike-riders caught in traffic jams
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61930319.cms

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th December 2017 at 16:19.
SmartCat is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 16:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I hope the new two wheeler mode does not include instructions like "now take the footpath and save 5 mins"
I will more worried if it asked the rider to take enter a one way road from the wrong side and the lady whisper "Turn on the headlights now".

Apart from that I am sure when you select 2 wheeler as the mode of travel, it will suggest areas under flyover ramps and underpasses as "suggested stops" while it is raining.
paragsachania is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 16:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I will more worried if it asked the rider to take enter a one way road from the wrong side and the lady whisper "Turn on the headlights now".

Apart from that I am sure when you select 2 wheeler as the mode of travel, it will suggest areas under flyover ramps and underpasses as "suggested stops" while it is raining.
Jokes aside - this might be a boon in places like Hyd where 2-wheelers are not allowed on some roads like the ORR.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Live traffic is not available for two wheelers for now, I guess it would come in a while once the usage increases.

Would like to share an interesting incident that happened a while back. I had enabled this bike option by replying yes to "do you ride a bike?" question in Google maps (on my android phone). So one day we were on a Jeep convoy to Coorg where I was the captain slow and last Jeep. But when we compared current location to destination distance, I was kinda ahead of the convoy (remaining distance wise). Later I caught up with the team and then compared the maps, only to figure out since I was on two wheeler mode, Google aunty was guiding me with a shorter route compared to the jeepers lol. I got abused at the end, and no we didn't risk the shorter route my phone was showing, since it was pretty late and unknown territory.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2017 at 17:39. Reason: as per RP
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 18:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I will more worried if it asked the rider to take enter a one way road from the wrong side and the lady whisper "Turn on the headlights now"
Almost there, I tell you :

Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode-screenshot_2017120518432601.jpeg

Courtesy : Twitter

Jokes aside, you can fix the errors easily :

Select 'Send Feedback' option from the left menu in Google Maps -> Edit Map -> Tap and hold to select the road (you can select segments/entire road) - > Update the details (closed road, incorrect one way or two way etc) -> DONE

Klub Class is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 18:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Live traffic is not available for two wheelers for now, i guess it would come in a while once the usage increases.
I'm getting live traffic (red, orange, green strips) including road construction delays etc. Just like the 'car mode'. See the screenshot in first post. I tried the bike mode in my car and I get live traffic while navigating too.

This article seems to indicate that 2 wheeler mode is a part of Android Oreo update.

https://m.gadgetsnow.com/slideshows/...t/61929749.cms

Perhaps you need Oreo on your smartphone for live traffic to work?

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th December 2017 at 19:05.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 18:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm getting live traffic (red, orange, green strips) including road construction delays etc.
wow it was not there in the morning, i checked now and it is showing. I guess now many folks have started using it?? I had checked and shared a screen shot in the morning with few groups, so am sure it was not showing, though i deleted the chats now. Am on 7.1.2 device.

Anyways great! iOS its yet to update even the 2 wheel mode.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 19:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Perhaps you need Oreo on your smartphone for live traffic to work?
No, i don't think so. Mine is still running on 7.0 and I saw this feature on yesterday itself. So, i don't think it is linked to Android version.
Btw, it was not showing live traffic yesterday but it started showing from today.
kavensri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Even on normal directions for cars, GMaps shows arbit u-turns and right-turns even at junctions where there are signboards preventing that. Have faced a situation where an Uber driver took the u-turn depending on google and then was stopped/fined by a cop for the same.

I guess we can expect much more glaring goof-ups on the 2 wheeler routes, especially if they are primarily considering the existing traffic as the means for legal routes than actually getting the details from the streets.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Google Maps introduces 2-wheeler mode

There is something called RAT RUNNING - the practice of avoiding main roads and getting to the destination via residential roads. I wonder if Google Maps will now take commuters via narrow residential areas. This is actually frowned upon in some countries because it turns quiet residential areas into high traffic zones.

More about rat running:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_running

Shortcut-finding app Waze creating residential traffic headaches
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/sh...waze-1.3463004
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Aw man, thats bad news I know some secret lanes in Pune city which I use to bypass traffic. Most people are not aware of those and I use it to my advantage as they are less crowded. Will not be the case going forward.
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Great feature! I do not ride a 2 wheeler but I hope this will help Google distinguish between roads accessible only to 2-wheelers and other roads. I have been sent on countless occasions by Google on to roads where my car does not fit. Hope such experiences will reduce.
feluda86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its a blessing in disguise for four wheelers. The two wheelers can tread into previously unknown territory or shortcuts and thereby reduce the traffic on the main roads.

But seriously, how is a two wheeler expected to refer to Google maps while riding? Through voice navigation, mobile affixed on the speedometer, HUD on helmet?
hrman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:01   #14
BANNED

I can't seem to find it on the app on iPhone. Have tried everything. Killing all apps and restarting phone. Deleting the app and re-installing it. Nothing worked. I can't seem to get the 2 wheeler option at all.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Even on normal directions for cars, GMaps shows arbit u-turns and right-turns even at junctions where there are signboards preventing that.
This is true. GMaps shows an U-Turn which doesnt exist and this was happening only the last 1 month. For Madras locals, the U-turn is shown near CPT on OMR when driving towards Tidel.

Another instance happened in a trip in the weekend where it asked to take a left which was marked as a no-entry.

So I expect lot of anecdotes on the bike directions as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks