Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 14:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin

We all chase big dreams..big bikes (Triumphs, Harleys..) and often don't notice that surprises come in small packages. Such package was introduced by Honda Motorcycles, known for their innovations, in April 2016 as Honda NAVI was launched and I immediately acquired one.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...imes-roll.html
Few months back Honda launched a new edition to their 2 wheeler list, which was quite attractive and my son thought that this was the perfect gift he would get for Christmas and also decided to call it Navi's brother..aka Navi-kin, CLIQ was born.
In November 2017 I had already acquired an Aprilia SR150 and a Yamaha Alpha and was now ready for a hatrick.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...e-edition.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-cocktail.html

No Booking and Delivery Experience:
We decided to walk into Pratul Honda dealership and inquire for the vehicle and were told it was available in the color we wanted, Moroccan Blue.
Honda dealership was no lesser than a busy market with prospective customers all over..
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-showroom-1.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-showroom-2.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-showroom-3.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-showroom-4.jpg
While I made the payment through Paytm app (and conveniently forgot to apply for Cashback code, the money was later credited to my wallet after 3 days) and paperwork done, our CLIQ was almost ready to be delivered and all the required accessories(which were part of the deal) were fitted and a teflon coat was being done.
Now we were ready to CLIQ few delivery pictures
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-delivery-2.jpg
I was handed over the Owner Manual which had Service intervals clearly indicated on the jacket cover
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-owner-manual.jpg
The Speedometre showed a reading of 1km and tank was empty,so we rode straight to a fuel station to fill her up.
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-speedometre-1.jpg

Ownership Begins
Honda Cliq essentially shares the same engine, chassis of a Honda Navi but a total radical change in the body shape and slight size difference.
It carries an amalgamation of a retro and a contemporary scooter, meant to tackle urban roads and traffic as well as rural plateau mainly due to its block tyres and agile acceleration.
The initial miles were filled with pure joy and amazement, the pace at which Cliq would accelerate and tackle corners and a subtle attention it got on the road !!!
What I Liked
- Beautiful retro styled Scooter looks
- Ultra cool Moroccan Blue Color with a dual tone interspersed Pearl White
- Large Block Tyres for terrific road grip and stable ride
- improved softer suspension
- Large contoured seat
- Combi Braking system
- Good storage space under the seat
- Fuel Guage
- Integrated Handle bar lock in the Iginition Key.
- Huge rear Grab Rail for convenience and utility.
- Good collection of Accessories

What I didn't like
- Plastic front panel made of bucket quality. Definitely increases a risk in case of a head on collision
- Smaller Built Scooter vis-a-vis seat height and body Height.
- Need a bigger Fuel Tank (just 3.2 Litres isn't enough)
- Lack of Front Telescopic suspension
- Costly Accessories (Even Side Stand need to be purchased)
- Limited Colours offered (Red,Blue,Black and Grey)
- No scope for customization, unlike Navi.
- Strictly a city vehicle, cant even dream to ride on a highway.

Price Factor
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-cliq-price.jpg
Let me demystify my above illustration : 2 Cliqs may not be sufficient to get you an iPhone X (256GB) !!!
I loved the pricing of Navi and Honda didn't disappoint as far as the pricing for Cliq,,it was good enough for me to cliq !!! I Paid :
On road price : 51,300 (delux model)
Less : Accessories : (3,800)
Less : Cash Back : (3,000)
Net Price : 44,500...ain't this sweet

The looks
I simply like Cliq for its retro looks, that with an open handle, cables jutting out, front oblong panel resembling a distinct Lambretta look all over..
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-1.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-2.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-3.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-13.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-14.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-4a.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-4b.jpg
Lambrettaish looks !!
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-5.jpg
Retro looking Handle Bar with exposed cables
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-8.jpg

The Build
Let me begin my thoughts about Cliq with its build quality and finish. Im really impressed with the package of Cliq and how it is built.
Essentially, Honda Navi power unit, a 110cc engine, has been transplanted into Cliq and thats all. Rest is a Cliq different.
The body is much longer with side panels in ABS plastic strong enough, large seat and nice rear grab rail, wider foot board an better tyres.
Only place I have been let down, was the front panels which are rather of bucket plastic quality, which means I can bend them with 2 fingers with slightest human force. In my opinion, Honda compromised here, rather than putting a robust material to withstand any damage to the rider in case of a head on collision.
Since a fuel guage is provided in the speedo console, the conventional petrol tap mechanism(which is visible in a Navi) is done away and also the handle bar lock is integrated in the ignition key assembly.
Otherwise, Honda has done a good job in the overall finish and detailing.Cliq comes in 2 variants : Delux (with Decals), Regular (Sans Decals).
Unfortunately Cliq is a much shorter scooter in its segment: Overall Height 1039mm and Seat Height of 743mm. This implies that taller persons i.e 5ft 10" above, may find it difficult ride and will be inconvenienced by shorter floor board height as well as discomfort while ingress and egress of boarding and seating. Only consolation is a widet and longer seat to adjust knee distance.

The Ride
I rate the ride and maneuverability to be stable and at the same time very agile. The pick up of the Cliq is very good and extraordinary in its segment.
Coming to its suspension, Honda has improved a little on the rear suspension and front suspension is also smooth on bumps and potholes.
Tyres make a big difference on Cliq. Honda has used block tyres, which provide stability as well as comfort during the ride.
Broader seat means, more comfort to the rider and the pillion rider.
The whole riding experience is different with a small console like handle bar with cables, the center of gravity pointing to a small squarish hub, controlling the ride..I mean, taste of the pudding lies in eating it
Engine Heating: Due to an excessive use of fibreglass and ABS Plastic all over the body, I found that the Engine heat discharged is trapped into the plastic body after 90-120 minutes of continuous ride. Im hoping that the fan cooling system works continuously and efficiently to keep the engine temperature in check, especially during Indian summers.
I would recommend Cliq to be used strictly with in city limits. A highway ride is not all advisable.

Braking Prowess
Combi Braking with Equilizer is executed superbly on this braking system,so much so that it can felt on the hands. Combi Braking highlighted through a decal on the front wheel guard. In fact, I have had 2-3 close encounters at a good speed and the combi braking saved the day successfully !!!
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-15.jpg
Another beautiful little,but noticeable change that Honda has provided - Foam Hand Grips with Honda mongram inscribed on it. These foam grip covers provide good comfort to both hands in times of excessive braking in bumper to bumper traffic.
Honda labelled foam hand grips(which are actually an accessory).
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-7.jpg

Tyres
Honda has provided 10 inch (Front & Rear) wide block pattern tubeless tyres,which a little wider and can take rough terrain easily. The ride quality is complimented due to equal size (10 inch) tyres both front and rear.
Navi suffers from this defect as the front tyre is 12" and rear 10",hence the ride is a little rocky.
Block Pattern Tyres have Low heat build-up, good tear resistance, and excellent fuel efficiency. They provide excellent driving and anti-slideslip ability for any weather, even in rains !!!

Auto Headlight On (AHO)
As a BSIV vehicle AHO is mandatory, but as usual Honda has masterminded a small trick. While AHO exists in this vehicle too, unlike rest of manufacturers, the Headlight doesnot get switched on until the start button is pressed and vehicle actually starts..Thats a relief because, when the ignition key is turned on, Headlight is not switched on.
Unfortunately, a Headlight manual overriding switch cannot be fitted as per the technical set up of the switches on the handlebar.
I could simulate small optical illusion with the Speedo Console resembling a Superman Hologram and the Headlight emiting a Batman Signal.
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-console-headlight.jpg

Storage Space
Cliq gets a under seat storage space, big enough to fit a half face helmet and few more smaller essentials.The mobile charger outlet is located in the storage box,
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-10.jpg
Honda provides a storage box as an accessory,which costs about Rs.1450, which needs to be installed on the floor board and placed between both the legs. I tried this accessory, but it was seriously effecting the ingress and egress while mounting and seating. Hence I opted out of this.
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-storage-box.jpg
Another innovation from Honda is the way tool kit is embedded into the under seat portion.
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-tool-kit.jpg

Mileage & Fuel Tank
I have been able to just complete a full tank to empty and recorded an initial mileage of 36.3 kmpl. Im sincerely hoping that the mileage will improve after 1st and 2nd Services
Cliq comes again with a very small fuel tank capacity - 3.25 litres, which is quite less for either urban or rural surroundings.

Accessories
All the recent CVT scooters thrive on accessories. Navi has an adventure kit costing Rs.8000!
Cliq has its own accessories like Visor, Center Storage box etc, subject to their availability.They can be procured on order.
So my accessory package which was an extra freebie to a tune of Rs.3800 included :
1.Side Foot Rest
2.Inidcator Buzzer
3.Extended Rear Grab Rail with additional load carrier
4.Handle Bar Grips
5. Side Stand
6. Floor Mats (They cost Rs.960, taking a Lion's share)
7. Floor Board Rail guard
8. Body Cover
9. CBR Keychain
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-accessories.jpg
A coat of Teflon was also done on a complimentary basis, but it was a mediocre job.
I find that Honda charges astronomical prices for Accessories,which can actually come with the vehicle. A side stand (Rs.350), Floor Mats (Rs.960) and Centre Storage Box (Rs.1450) are some of the examples. If I compare accessories for other models like Activa, Dio and Aviator, I dont understand the rationale of charging more to a model, which has been sold only in single digit numbers of each dealership of Honda 2 wheelers !!!!

VFM Factor
In my humble opinion, Honda has brought out a value for money in making vehicles like Navi and Cliq, which are produced with same Honda patented HET Technology, good combi braking system with robust tyres, Electric Ignition Start, Driving Comfort..all at the cost of half the price of a iPhone X !!! A lot of population,students to adults can benefit out of Cliq for daily commute and chores. My only grouse revolves around highly priced accessories !!!

Now the quintessential question : How does CLIQ fare in looks with its Kin..NAVI. We were only too excited to see them stand as siblings.
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-19.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-20b.jpg
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-22.jpg
Aren't they siblings..You decide!!!

Finally, Yours truly, completing a ride around our iconic Hussan Sagar lake.
Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin-nc4.jpg
Happy and Safe Motoring !!

Last edited by hillram : 11th December 2017 at 00:33. Reason: Alignment,Grammar Correction and Adding more content
hillram is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Cliq : Our Navi-Kin

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 2-wheeled Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 22:50   #3
BHPian

How do you manage so many two and four wheels in your collection? That too with a job!! Kudos to your passion!!
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
How do you manage so many two and four wheels in your collection? That too with a job!! Kudos to your passion!!
Thanks. I keep the wheels in motion and they all stay together with me.
hillram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 11:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Thanks. I keep the wheels in motion and they all stay together with me.
Sir - please put up a thread on how you keep your collection in good condition and also tips and tricks on managing such a large number of vehicles.
sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 12:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Sir - please put up a thread on how you keep your collection in good condition and also tips and tricks on managing such a large number of vehicles.
Thanks Sushil and happy to hear from you.
Automobiles are very close to my heart and they get a top priority in my life.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We all chase big dreams..big bikes (Triumphs, Harleys..) and often don't notice that surprises come in small packages.
You have the most unique bikes in your collection. In the future, it would be amazing to take a look at your collection and walk in the memory lane with the kind of vehicles on sale in the past. I'm happy to see your passion grow and you acquiring more vehicles to your collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
+1. Please share some tips and your usual way of keeping the vehicles in good shape. I'm sure that 'behind the scenes' would involve a lot of Sunday's spent with them.

Please keep it up and may you end up with even more vehicles.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Please keep it up and may you end up with even more vehicles.
Thanks for your kind and encouraging thoughts.
Trust your Vespa is doing fine.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 15:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust your Vespa is doing fine.
Yes. Unfortunately, the usage has reduced a lot. Bad city traffic combined with lack of time is taking a toll. I'm just keeping her in working condition. Thankfully dad takes her out sometimes on his morning walks, but at times, I just keep the engine running for 10-15 minutes once a week if I can't go out.

Also some miscreants managed to break the RHS front indicator lens. Have to take some time out and get that fixed as well. Probably on Saturday I will try.

Hence my request to share the some tips on your bikes. I have just one, but it's not easy. I can only imagine what would happen to you.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 00:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes. Unfortunately, the usage has reduced a lot. Bad city traffic combined with lack of time is taking a toll. I'm just keeping her in working condition. Thankfully dad takes her out sometimes on his morning walks, but at times, I just keep the engine running for 10-15 minutes once a week if I can't go out.

Also some miscreants managed to break the RHS front indicator lens. Have to take some time out and get that fixed as well. Probably on Saturday I will try.

Hence my request to share the some tips on your bikes. I have just one, but it's not easy. I can only imagine what would happen to you.
Sorry to hear about the breakage.
We can discuss about Vespa on my thread,as this is essentially a Honda Cliq page.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4322266
Old 14th December 2017, 21:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honda Cliq wins Scooter of the Year
This certainly puzzled me: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-ndtv...e-year-1787911
I dont think so that Cliq has the sales volumes to win SOTY, though the number game may not be the only criteria to judge the winner.
Old 14th December 2017, 23:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Few months back Honda launched a new edition to their 2 wheeler list, which was quite attractive and my son thought that this was the perfect gift he would get for Christmas and also decided to call it Navi's brother
11 year old son gets a Cliq this year, as compared to Navi last year. Sentimentally his bike - but another addition to your fleet.

Surely you have the biggest garage of vehicles in Team-Bhp, when the sheer number of vehicles are compared.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 00:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
11 year old son gets a Cliq this year, as compared to Navi last year. Sentimentally his bike - but another addition to your fleet.

Surely you have the biggest garage of vehicles in Team-Bhp, when the sheer number of vehicles are compared.
Thanks..The foremost idea is to make my son, responsible for his owned vehicles - Navi & Cliq.
Old 21st December 2017, 18:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

1st Service Report :
One month from date of purchase was up, I got a prompt call from Honda SVC to bring my Cliq for 1st Free service.
Well..it was not a free service after all..I paid for :
- Engine oil replacement : 190.00
- Washer : 1.50
- Drain Cock : 14.00
- Consumables : 50.00
Apart from minor brakes adjustment and full body wash, nothing else was carried on.
Lets see if the FE improves after 1st Service.
Old 18th June 2018, 17:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Lets see if the FE improves after 1st Service.
Did it improve? Updates on the thread will be appreciated.
How it fared in comparison to Activa?

Most Viewed