Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2017, 15:07   #61
BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RR 310 launched at Rs. 2.05 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
If KTM launches RC250 & undercuts rr310 by 5-8k, TVS will have hard time selling the bike.
Propably not, the rc 250 feels its dead on arrival. The apache is better on all counts and is unique when compared to the same stale designs of the rc triplets.

The design is a huge step up and the fit and finish should also be better, there is no way an RC 250 would match the apache on any count.
Thebat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 15:13   #62
BHPian

Good looking bike. I would have gone head over heels on this in my early twenties.

But likes change in the early thirties .

While the bike is designed well, I would like to point out one item that is definitely bound to break - the indicators on the front.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 7th December 2017 at 15:15.
Old 7th December 2017, 15:37   #63
BHPian

TVS Motors via twitter just redirected me to a Hyderabad dealer for Booking. Surprisingly, when I verified with the dealers, they confirmed - they still have not started any bookings and neither do they have the bike on display. The only confirmation they gave was, the bike will be in showrooms by last week of Dec. Does anyone has any information on the exact availability date in Hyderabad?
Attached Images

Last edited by pankajparikh : 7th December 2017 at 15:47.
pankajparikh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 16:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartik5477 View Post
I just reached office coming from TVS Shelar Pune(Taware) and booking the bike, I was the first one to do so(they made a big deal about it) and they are expecting all details next week.
Congrats! I assume you have seen the Bike in real? Please share some pics if you have taken.
Is there only one variant? Color options? Ex.showroom price?
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 17:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartik5477 View Post
Bad:
3) Michelin tyres
Michelin pilot street tyres are not bad at all. I used to hate the Contigos that came stock with CBR250R and changed to Michelin Pilot street. Those were amazing road tyres. For sports touring, these are probably the best out there. If you are going to hit the track a lot, then you are right, you'll probably needs Metz.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 18:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats! I assume you have seen the Bike in real? Please share some pics if you have taken.
Is there only one variant? Color options? Ex.showroom price?
Thank you. I should've mentioned this in the earlier post, I haven't seen the bike yet but I trust a friend who works closely with TVS Racing and hence booked it. I've always wanted to buy the CBR250R since last six years but was never able to. KTMs don't do it for me. Dominar, I did think for a while but it didn't strike a chord with my heart only with the brain. Color options: red and black, I'll go for whichever comes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Michelin pilot street tyres are not bad at all. I used to hate the Contigos that came stock with CBR250R and changed to Michelin Pilot street. Those were amazing road tyres. For sports touring, these are probably the best out there. If you are going to hit the track a lot, then you are right, you'll probably needs Metz.
No, the track is on my list but not a priority, and as TVS mentioned in the presentation that they are going to start track days for the customers with TVS Racing team() to get the track experience. I would've preferred Metz or MRF as stock. Michelin seems to be just ok but not good on the braking side for me, having ridden various bikes.
Old 7th December 2017, 18:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

The bike really looks good. I would say its the best by an Indian auto maker, cars included. Hope TVS gets into e-cars and gives us some well built cars ! I would say good choice by BMW to work with TVS after having considered other Indian makers.

Last edited by srishiva : 7th December 2017 at 18:37.
Old 7th December 2017, 18:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Akula 310 unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The way i see it, RC390 customers are not going to be swayed by 310RR. It is the RC 200 owners who may go for the TVS. Just 30k more, they get a better and faster bike(with ABS).
At least my brother in law was waiting eagerly for it. After waiting for a year or so, he got fed up and bought the RC390. He's not too happy with it mostly because the posture is too aggressive for him - He was waiting for an R3 with ABS, but that didnt happen either.

If you consider the grown up squid market, absolute performance is not the most important thing any more and bhp per rupee is not the only yardstick. They are willing to compromise for safety and comfort, and see value in these things. Until yamaha launches an ABS R3, or honda decides to price their bikes realistically, or Kawasaki gets a full fledged support network, this bike is the only alternative for this segment.

And regarding the pricing being high, 2.05 seems to be a very deliberate number. they could have easily knocked it down to the 1.95-99 range, and made it seem a lot more vfm and gotten better reviews for it, while raising it up gradually once the deliveries begin, but they have not.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 19:05   #69
OSH
BHPian

At the very base level, there's a lot of things common between the TVS Apache RR 310 that has just been launched and the BMW G310R, as both motorcycles have been developed alongside each other and both use the same engine. But there are some interesting differences between the two motorcycles. Here's the top five things that separate the two machines from each other.

Quote:
Frame
The TVS Apache RR 310 and BMW G310Rboth use trellis frames that are nearly identical. There is one major difference though, which is the different rear subframe on the Apache RR 310 which has been developed by TVS to suit its purpose as a sportsbike better.
TVS Apache RR 310 launched at Rs. 2.05 lakh-2017tvsapacherr31098of135.jpg

Quote:
ECU
In terms of technology and hardware, the 313cc, liquid-cooled, reverse inclined single-cylinder engine powering the TVS Apache RR 310 is identical to the BMW G310R's, but TVS Motor has gone in for its own custom ECU to offer better engine and throttle responses, given its more aggressive positioning as compared to the G310R.
TVS Apache RR 310 launched at Rs. 2.05 lakh-2017tvsapacherr310127of135.jpg

Quote:
Purpose
While the G310R is BMW Motorrad's smallest motorcycle yet, the Apache RR 310 is TVS Motor's largest motorcycle yet and also its new flagship product. That aside there is a big difference between their purposes too. The G310R is positioned as a naked motorcycle meant primarily for street riding and commuting, while the Apache RR 310 is a faired sportsbike intended to be ridden on track, apart from being used for commuting and touring as well.
TVS Apache RR 310 launched at Rs. 2.05 lakh-2017tvsapacherr31022of135.jpg

Quote:
Gearing
Both motorcycles use the same six-speed gearbox but the final drive on the Apache RR 310 is different from the G310R's. The Apache RR 310 uses a larger rear sprocket, with 41 teeth, as opposed to the 40 toothed one on the G310R to improve the motorcycle's initial grunt. A larger rear sprocket also means a lower top end, but that's where the aerodynamics of the Apache RR 310 come into play, as the TVS boasts a higher top speed.
TVS Apache RR 310 launched at Rs. 2.05 lakh-2017tvsapacherr310100of135.jpg

Quote:
Fairing
The biggest visual differentiator between the Apache RR 310 and the G310R is the fairing on the TVS. The Apache RR 310 uses a full fairing given its positioning as a sportsbike, and TVS Motor claims the motorcycle has been tested extensively in a wind tunnel and on an air strip to offer best in class aerodynamics. The G310R on the other hand does not get any wind protection at all, being a naked.
TVS Apache RR 310 launched at Rs. 2.05 lakh-2017tvsapacherr31035of135.jpg

Source : Overdrive

Last edited by OSH : 7th December 2017 at 19:15.
OSH is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 19:09   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

If you consider the grown up squid market, absolute performance is not the most important thing any more and bhp per rupee is not the only yardstick. They are willing to compromise for safety and comfort, and see value in these things. Until yamaha launches an ABS R3, or honda decides to price their bikes realistically, or Kawasaki gets a full fledged support network, this bike is the only alternative for this segment.

Squid market is already after D200/RC200 and Pulsar 200/220s.

By the way, if one buys RC390 without considering the fact that it is not a bike meant for comfort, the issue is not with the bike, but with the buyer.

One should spend some time on the bike before buying it. I owned a cbr250r, and i also had an rc200 for a 2 day trial. Rc surprisingly felt very comfortable. May be my height was a factor.

Mature riders buy RC390 only because it is absolute fun around corners, twisties, ghats and track! I am buying one because my usage is relatively more on highways and ghats rather than city traffic or bad roads. If i was living in a city like bangalore, i would choose the apache anyday(if the power delivery is similar to RC390). Infact I was after Apache 310 launch, the deal breakers for me was lack of slipper clutch(once you get used to it, you will miss it around corners), comparatively lazy acceleration and relatively commuterish ergonomics.

By the way, even if yamaha launches BS4 R3 with ABS, it may not find a lot of buyers. R3 posed as a comfortable fast bike in the 300 segment. Now Apache has taken the throne, and at that price, R3 feels absurd!

People are going to buy Apache 310(tight budget but want a classy comfortable bike) or RC390(performance and handling junkies) or the Ninja 400(refinement lovers and if the budget isnt a problem). R3 doesnt seem to have a place anywhere.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th December 2017 at 19:20.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 19:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Fully agree with you on this. Actually, I am looking for a 300cc bike for my office commute (as I find it stressed to drive car in city traffic). RC390 was outrightly ruled out due to its aggressive posture & ride. Ninja 300 dropped due to high maintenance & very few service centers.
Finally shortlisted Yamaha R3, but Yamaha is indefinitely delaying it. Latest update on the launch is Jan/Feb 2018.
But, Apache 310 has come out as a very good option & worth seriously considering.

Last edited by finneyp : 7th December 2017 at 19:55.
finneyp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 22:49   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

People are going to buy Apache 310(tight budget but want a classy comfortable bike) or RC390(performance and handling junkies) or the Ninja 400(refinement lovers and if the budget isnt a problem). R3 doesnt seem to have a place anywhere.
Aptly put, the only way R3 has a chance is of Yamaha goes out of the way and price it super aggressive. If they price it around 3 lacs ex showroom, they might be able to drive some volumes, but I guess that is highly unlikely to happen.

Being in the market for a bike I was so sure that I will end up with apache rr310, but lack of slipper clutch has kind of dampened my spirit. I was in the mindset of booking the bike at day of launch, but will hold on. The acceleration as everyone is saying is too linear, so will have to wait for a test drive.

I am now tempted to wait out ninja 400, it will probably launch at same price as N300, and end up around 4. 5 lacs OTR. The difference though of 2 lacs, would probably be recovered in resale.

Last option I am considering is ninja 650 2017 model, looking for a pre worshipped one, but the product is so new that nothing is available yet. If I am able to get myself one for around 5.25 lacs I guess I am set for next 5-6 years.

Choices, choices, choices... God bless competition.

Last edited by AtheK : 7th December 2017 at 22:57.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 23:22   #73
BHPian

Here is a video explaining the digital console in detail. Quite a bit of info!

PraNeel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 11:21   #74
BHPian

Thats a pretty comprehensive instrument console. Loads of info, but wish there were more keys to make it easy to use. Additionally does anyone know the colour of the backlight? The RTR 200 was white and that looks swell.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2017 at 12:51. Reason: Fixing typo :)
Old 8th December 2017, 11:55   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Thats a pretty comprehensive instrument console. Loads of info, but wish there were more keys to make it easy to use. Additionally anyones the colour of the backlight? The RTR 200 was white and that looks swell.
This one is white too AFAIK, was shown in some video.

here is the video

Last edited by AtheK : 8th December 2017 at 11:58.

Most Viewed