Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2017, 17:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Cops remove loud exhausts & crush them with a road roller

In our country, doing anything legally is either stupid or lengthy, and there is no middle ground. The integrity of the police is of course not under any suspicion, it is guaranteed to be malice, unfortunately.

Like somebody said earlier, targeting only RE bikes is sheer stupidity, and very much expected out of these personals. I don't have a problem though if they are able to remove more than 80% of such noise miscreants, legality be damned aside.

I would welcome complete seizure of two-wheelers that drive without the mirrors. More than the noise pollutants, these are most dangerous species on the planet. These monsters are less passionate bikers and compulsive gynecologists.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 17:38   #32
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened to a friend who was riding his RE Bullet recently on the BETL road.
He called up a mechanic known to him who brought along the stock exhaust, fitted it and then rode back. However, the other exhaust wasn't crushed or damaged in this case.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 17:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

A big thumbs up to Bangalore police. This has become a real nuisance off late. Some one mentioned that the entire house vibrates when a bullet passes by and I can vouch that he is not exaggerating. Yes the Police should catch other bikes and cars with modification too, but thumping Bullets are a bit easy to spot I guess. In your face blinking brake lights, blue or white indicator lights, illegible number plates all get away because cops don't take action. Let them do such drives periodically and I am pretty sure the nonsense will stop.
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 18:45   #34
BHPian

The pictures appear to be sourced from different places. The MVD bolero vehicle has KL plates. The road roller picture is from some other state. The parked bulls seem to be sporting KA and TN plates.
Old 12th December 2017, 19:16   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Are we saying the environment is biker's property to spoil freely? When they are spoiling the environment which is NOT their property with so very high level of freedom, what is wrong if Police /Government spoil these bikers property because this is polluting the mother earth?

And if Police is doing this with so much of publicity, I am confident that they have legal approval to do so. Else, they wont invite trouble in indulging such activities. (My opinion only)
Bro, if that is the case, then every vehicle in this country should be destroyed no? Technically every vehicle is polluting mother earth right?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 20:09   #36
BHPian

Here's the video link of the exhausts getting crumpled by the road roller :

Last edited by manaljain : 12th December 2017 at 20:12.
manaljain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 20:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
A big thumbs up to Bangalore police. This has become a real nuisance off late. Some one mentioned that the entire house vibrates when a bullet passes by and I can vouch that he is not exaggerating. Yes the Police should catch other bikes and cars with modification too, but thumping Bullets are a bit easy to spot I guess. In your face blinking brake lights, blue or white indicator lights, illegible number plates all get away because cops don't take action. Let them do such drives periodically and I am pretty sure the nonsense will stop.
Completely agree with you. One of my neighbour is a perfect example. He gets up at 5 in the morning and wakes up the entire street with his modified bullet.
I wish it extends to some of the modified rx100's as well.
kvish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 22:17   #38
BHPian

This is just one of the common nuisances on the road. The others being

1. Taxis (especially the indicates with double barrels) or others with 90/100 driving perpetually on high beam.
2. People using flashing red lights at the tail end
3. Super loud horns

and many more...

While the cops cannot regulate a lot, the traffic police IMO must continue to take stern actions instead of applying spot punishment. Without a court permission or going by the book, the tendency could become to do as they please. Law of the land must prevail and they should follow the law. Period!

It doesn't make sense to do something like this in the name of deterrence as they please and once in a while. That's overriding the law and that's definitely not acceptable. Why can't they confiscate the vehicle, ensure that the changes are made before being let off with fine? Even if it means it takes days to release the vehicles? Punishments must be meted out to the ones per law.
Old 13th December 2017, 07:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

I would love to know on what basis are the BTP deciding that a muffler is loud. If it is by sight or sound.

In the video above, there is a stock muffler that is being crushed. The picture on page 1 has more number of stock mufflers than aftermarket.

There is also a short bottle muffler being crushed which is aftermarket,but is not loud and has a note which is not annoying or irritating.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 08:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

In the video above, there is a stock muffler that is being crushed. The picture on page 1 has more number of stock mufflers than aftermarket.

Could it be a case of damaged or worn out muffler over a period of time causing the bassy/loud sound?
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 08:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Could it be a case of damaged or worn out muffler over a period of time causing the bassy/loud sound?
The chances for that are very less.

The stock muffler (the long one) has some 4 chambers in it. So even if one chamber is rusted or broken , the sound will not increase to an extent it gets too loud.

Last edited by tharian : 13th December 2017 at 08:43.
Old 13th December 2017, 11:12   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The stock muffler (the long one) has some 4 chambers in it. So even if one chamber is rusted or broken , the sound will not increase to an extent it gets too loud.
There are people who modify the stock muffler (by removing the baffles inside) to maintain the stock looks with louder note.
Mr.Boss is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 11:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure of the legality of this step.
However, this step has resulted in at least 4 RE owners in my apartment block to remove the after market silencers and install back the stock ones overnight.

If these kind of stunts by the law enforcement achieve the desired results, then I feel there is no harm doing such antics once in a while.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Bro, if that is the case, then every vehicle in this country should be destroyed no? Technically every vehicle is polluting mother earth right?
The process has already started. First, As of now, we can all see that the rules are made mandatory for implementation.

Examples: Diesel vehicles older than 10 years banned. even dates/odd dates rules, etc

What do you think would be the next step if these rules are simply ignored and not followed at all ?

One fine day, the expected extreme step will be definitely taken by Government.
Old 13th December 2017, 13:08   #45
BHPian

You really can't make out if a silencer will be loud or normal, just based on the looks of it. I have seen bullets with exhausts which look exactly like stock ones, but making a pretty loud noise & there are these with short bottle silencers which don't create so much havoc. Some of the owners just swap the silencers with that of an older model, to just get the beat / thump of a Cast iron bullet, these are not necessarily loud. So its not necessary, that every modded silencer is a very loud one which creates nuisance.

Also Bullets have been plying in our roads for more than 50 years and over the years they have had so many types of exhausts, so how does BTP differentiate between a stock one and a modified one? Is it just based on the sound which the person on the road hears? Or is it based on the sound measured with a Decibel meter?

I am not sure, if we had Decibel levels specified 50 years back even if we had, the limits must have been way higher than what is there currently. So is it the owners responsibility to modify the stock exhaust to ensure that his old bike reaches the current Decibel levels? If it's not, then that brings up another question, does the man on the road have the year/period wise table of acceptable Db levels to enforce the law correctly?

While I agree that loud silencers are a nuisance , what is worrying is the way in which BTP has acted to bring down this down. I am not a legal guy, but in my opinion crushing silencers doesn't look like its legal.
Vishnuk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks