Team-BHP - Emflux Model 1 is India’s first electric Sports Bike
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Emflux Model 1 is India’s first electric Sports Bike (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/193397-emflux-model-1-india-s-first-electric-sports-bike.html)

Source

Am glad to see startups from India entering the electric mobility space and coming up with some really functional, relevant & good looking designs. Ather looks promising and is close to entering production. Hope that is the case with Emflux as well.
Quote:

Based out of Bangalore, Emflux Motors is a technological start-up working in the direction of electric commuting. Their entry into the market will be marked by an electric superbike, the Model 1, which is also the country’s first electric superbike. The company has hinted towards an India launch of the Model 1 at the 2018 Auto Expo. The second round of funding for Emflux Motors will commence post the launch of Model 1.
Quote:

The Model 1 employs a liquid-cooled AC motor which is fed by Samsung Li-ion batteries. Developing 50 kW (67 BHP) of power and 84 Nm of torque from 0-8400 RPM, the motorcycle offers blistering acceleration doing 0-100 km/hr in 3 seconds with a top speed of 200 km/hr. The company promises a range of upto 200 kms on a single charge. Regenerative braking helps boost the Model 1’s travel range during braking.
Quote:

Braking hardware comprises of mono-block aluminium brakes sourced from Brembo while the suspension setup comes from Ohlins. The Model 1 also gets a dual-channel ABS unit made by Continental. The motorcycle is also loaded with features including a 7-inch TFT touchscreen with GPS navigation, real-time diagnostics, mobile app and bike-to-bike connectivity. The Emflux Model 1 is expected to be priced around Rs. 5.5 lakh (ex-showroom) in India

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS FOR EVs

Kitna Deti Hai? - "How Much Kms would it run on a Single Charge?

200 Kms being promised here. Not bad I would say.

Kitna Leti Hai? - "How Long would it take to Change its battery fully"?

Good to see such machine powered by all electric motor.
Having quick glimpse over the specs it is a clear winner over rest of of the superbikes priced equivalent to it.

Many queries like Aftersales services, third party OEM parts and availability of the same are still unanswered.
Hope to get a detailed overview of the same in upcoming 2018 Auto Expo :)

The pricing is very good for the performance offered, it would smoke a similarly priced 650 and looks good too.
But I can't see myself buying an electric sport bike now, changing the gears and going through the rev band with the exhaust screaming is a big part of the experience.

8500 USD for a E-superbike?? With Ohlins, Brembo, Conti ABS?

In the USA an equivalent bike (Energica/Lightning/Zero) is upwards of 14k to 18k with the Energica EVO going for (16L). That price seems a bit low for the content. Also the biggest thing with EVs is the charger, curious that they dont spec that out.

Amazing 'concept'!

I absolutely love electric bikes and scooters but, all such tech start-ups are a lot over-optimistic about the time frame and availability of their vehicles if it even makes it to launch! (Tork motorcycles comes to mind)

I am really looking forward to actual release of this, as well as the Tork.
But, am really not holding my breath!:)

One look at those ergonomics and that handlebar, tells me all I need to know about a company trying to market this as a sportbike. Ambitious, but I shall remain very skeptical about it until it is actually in production (if ever).

While I wish them well, it's just a pipe dream today, guys. A startup that has built a concept, is making (tall) claims & looking to raise funding.

Their FAQ page has some interesting answers (and typos!!)

Quote:

Where do I get it serviced?

You do not need to go anywhere, we are just a call away. Our cloud based system will automotically detect and guide you, if any service is required.

Just noticed something else about this "concept image" apart from the fact that it has the wrong ergonomics and the wrong type of handlebar, look at the way that rear tyre has been mounted! These guys clearly don't know anything about bikes let alone sportbikes.

Let us not jump to conclusions yet. They are taking part in the Auto Expo next year. Let’s see if they’ll have a working prototype. We should reserve our judgements till then. (Though I personally hate the idea of an electric motorcycle itself).

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 4324251)
Just noticed something else about this "concept image" apart from the fact that it has the wrong ergonomics and the wrong type of handlebar, look at the way that rear tyre has been mounted! These guys clearly don't know anything about bikes let alone sportbikes.

What is wrong with rear tyre mounting? Also I feel concept inages have little bit of creative freedom when it comes to design details. Not necessary the exact same thing will be 3D printed or something

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwin1224 (Post 4324442)
What is wrong with rear tyre mounting? Also I feel concept inages have little bit of creative freedom when it comes to design details

The direction of the tread doesn't seem wrong to you? Sure no one is against crazy materials being used, or eccentric patterns, but getting these basic elements of a "sportbike" wrong is not creative freedom it is just a massive blunder on a scale of which is only possible if this company is only thinking about how to raise cash and isn't interested in the bike itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4324141)
A startup that has built a concept, is making (tall) claims & looking to raise funding.

Looks like this is the case. I registered for a test ride few days back and got the response next day that they will contact me soon, also invited me to check them at the Auto Expo. I am still waiting for the test ride.

Their claim of 200kmph and 200km range (god know at what speed and in what condition) looks too optimistic to me. They might reach at 200kmph, but can maintain for how many minutes? (Again God only know). If I see the spec claimed by them, it is double of what being claimed by Tork motorcycle and is more than double than Ather energy scooter. So if there is only one investor, obviously he will consider Emflux 1.

I worked on lithium ion batteries in my last 2 projects, and based on Manufacturer spec, charging greater than 1C is considered safe only till 50% of the battery capacity. Might be Emflux is underutilizing the battery that will result in the low energy density hence low power/weight ratio.

Whatever I wrote above, irrespective of that, I will be more than happy if they launch a motorcycle with half of the spec they are claiming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetaWatt (Post 4330462)

Their claim of 200kmph and 200km range (god know at what speed and in what condition) looks too optimistic to me. They might reach at 200kmph, but can maintain for how many minutes? (Again God only know). If I see the spec claimed by them, it is double of what being claimed by Tork motorcycle and is more than double than Ather energy scooter. So if there is only one investor, obviously he will consider Emflux 1.

I worked on lithium ion batteries in my last 2 projects, and based on Manufacturer spec, charging greater than 1C is considered safe only till 50% of the battery capacity. Might be Emflux is underutilizing the battery that will result in the low energy density hence low power/weight ratio.

Whatever I wrote above, irrespective of that, I will be more than happy if they launch a motorcycle with half of the spec they are claiming.

A 2018 Zero DSR has 14.3kWs worth of battery to have a claimed distance of 147 miles (240km). Thats with no under utilization of the pack and there using packet cells (Li-Po). Those bikes come more close to 180 to 200 miles so maybe there trying to dig for some power train manufacturers? In order to get close to the power delivery there asking for your looking at upwards of 1000A or more.

I see this as more of a "check us out and give us money" than a we have something tangible.

The whole thing stinks of being vapourware!

A company comes out of thin air and promises an amazing product with computer generated images. Not even a prototype to back their claims. This sounds like the many sad stories on Kickstarter.

Their website lists their top people. Not one of them have any experience in developing a complex product like a motorcycle, let alone a superbike.

I'll believe it's a real product only a working prototype is shown.

Ather energy's struggles with their electric scooter are well known and their product is far more realistic. I am pessimistic about Emflux ever coming out with a real product.

One common thread I see with startups in the manufacturing sector is that many of them are started by youngsters from IIT who have no experience in manufacturing. Their plans start to fall apart when they realise how hard the real world manufacturing industry is - things that are taken for granted in internet-based businesses are tremendously difficult in manufacturing (capital, regulations, labour, raw material, vendors, sourcing, taxation, etc.)