Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2019, 09:47   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
--
Unlike Yamaha FZ16, FZ25 has some known problems - since it's a SOHC 2 valve engine (rumored to be based on 2008 Yamaha XT250 enduro mobike), the valve clearance needs adjustment every now and then.
The only issue which I have faced on my FZ-25 is this (Yamaha FZ-25 damper leakage).

Else, I have managed ~11K and no issues at all, I am not very happy with the bike, but that is because I expected more from it, but you can't expect much from an air cooled [oil cooler or whatever] engine. Front suspension is soft as well, doesn't inspire confidence while cornering.

Strangely, the tires have develop lots of cracks, both tires and on the circumference [aspect ratio], not expected. Will have to replace it in some time.

Rear brakes wearing out is true if the brake lever isn't adjusted. It is not an issue for me, as I don't use the rear brake at all. [Save for on dirt]

Quote:
FZ25 needs 70:30 ratio of front and rear brake for efficient braking.
This is recommended for newbies, once you get the hang of front brake, you can choose to ignore the rear brake completely, save for, dirt or maybe toeing the bike/correcting its line etc. As said, rear brake has many usage, stopping the bike is not one of them.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 10:20   #122
Senior - BHPian

I had the front fork oil replaced, costs Rs1200 for both at 10000kms. There is front wobble, if you lighten the hands at 70kmph speed. This is observed in another 2018 model FZ25 also. QC issue or design flaw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This is recommended for newbies, once you get the hang of front brake, you can choose to ignore the rear brake completely, save for, dirt or maybe toeing the bike/correcting its line etc. As said, rear brake has many usage, stopping the bike is not one of them.
I use mostly the front brake and a light touch of rear brake. But, during a panic braking the rear wheel locked/fishtaling. So, this bike needs front brake almost exclusively. BTW, my previous bike was an RTR180 and it has also similar braking.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 00:00   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed 2 years with only 4,000 km on the odo.

This year the bike was used sparingly due to my shoulder pain.
Last week i took it out for a 100 km spin on the highway and it was definitely fun. I wanted to go further but due my shoulder pain and doctors restriction, i refrained myself from going further.

This December a servicing is due. Am thinking to try out the YamahaLube sporty premium this time, as using the Motul 7100 is an overkill. My bike is hardly covering 1000-1500 km per year.

No niggles to be reported. Till now all is good.

Few things which could have been better in this bike are -

A better top-speed.
A better headlight.
A more stiffer front suspension.

The birthday gift-
Bumper to bumper insurance from Bajaj Allianz.
Damage to pocket - Rs 3688.

Couple of recent pics-

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_1951.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_1952.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 6th December 2019 at 00:27.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 23:15   #124
BHPian

I did an impromptu run last weekend from Bangalore to Sakleshpur and beyond to Karmadi Ghat. It was a reinforcement of what I have felt about this bike, great ergonomics, very smooth engine until 90-95 kmph, I can go on all day and easily cover 300-400 km. It really cries for a 6th gear especially on the Hassan road. Right now am in the middle of a 4 day tour around Ooty. I did around 300 km over two days riding on various ghat roads and it was a pleasure to ride.The top end didn’t matter so much here but will make its presence felt tomorrow as I take the Coimbatore Bangalore highway
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 01:17   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The only issue which I have faced on my FZ-25 is this (Yamaha FZ-25 damper leakage).

Else, I have managed ~11K and no issues at all, I am not very happy with the bike, but that is because I expected more from it, but you can't expect much from an air cooled [oil cooler or whatever] engine. Front suspension is soft as well, doesn't inspire confidence while cornering
Did you ever face any coin ringing sounds around 5k rpm or valve clearence issues sir? Have heard a lot about these issues and is currently slowing down my decision of putting down money on this bike.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 11:55   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
Did you ever face any coin ringing sounds around 5k rpm or valve clearence issues sir? Have heard a lot about these issues and is currently slowing down my decision of putting down money on this bike.
Yes. FZ25 has a decade old engine design (Yamaha XT250 AFAIK). From my experience, tappet settings are needed once in a while. In fact, after adjusting tappets to proper value, after a few 100kms of ride, the tappet noise returns. Some says tappet noise issue will resolve by 20000kms of ride. Mine has only completed 11500kms.

The bigger irritant is coin rattling noise when you revv above 4000 rpm. My bike has this coin rattle sound coming too frequently and continuously at 4k-6k range. This happened after they opened engine side cover to replace plate breather bolts. So, I gave the bike to a relatively competent Yamaha service centre near me ( Vijay Autos, Aluva). The service manager claims that he has adjusted timing chain tensioner to reduce the coin rattle noise. They also had re-glued and tightened plate breather bolts. Overall effect is, the coin rattle sound has reduced. Earlier, the sound was more loud and more frequent. Now, it is still present at 5K rpm range, but is less.

I have no idea about latest FZ25 2019 or BS6 models and if they face the same issues. I would also say - I have read about experiences of few individuals who have to replace crank balancer, timing chain tensioner etc and still does not resolved the engine noise. So far, there is no solution from Yamaha and the service centres are incompetent to report the real issue. I have ridden few FZ25s (2018 and 2019) models and they all have this tappet noise and Coin noise. Coin rattle is not registered by many owners as an issue - You need a keen ear to find this sound OR you picked it up while riding above 70kmph. Other than this engine noises, the bike is very fun to ride and gives a good fuel efficiency - 32-40kmpl depending on the traffic and roads. It is good to flick/filter the traffic due to lighter weight. Only issue is Yamaha is not serious about this model. They fitted a older engine and has not been willing to address the reliability issues.
deepclutch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:47   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. FZ25 has a decade old engine design (Yamaha XT250 AFAIK). From my experience, tappet settings are needed once in a while. In fact, after adjusting tappets to proper value, after a few 100kms of ride, the tappet noise returns. Some says tappet noise issue will resolve by 20000kms of ride. Mine has only completed 11500kms..
Every motorcycle requires tappet adjustments once in a while, the recommended interval is 5k kms if I'm not wrong, but then no one really bothers, my P220 has clocked over 50k on the odo and I'm yet to set the tappets, there is slight noise when listening with the helmet off but as soon as the helmet is on I don't hear it no more.

Quote:
The bigger irritant is coin rattling noise when you revv above 4000 rpm. My bike has this coin rattle sound coming too frequently and continuously at 4k-6k range. This happened after they opened engine side cover to replace plate breather bolts. So, I gave the bike to a relatively competent Yamaha service centre near me ( Vijay Autos, Aluva). The service manager claims that he has adjusted timing chain tensioner to reduce the coin rattle noise. They also had re-glued and tightened plate breather bolts. Overall effect is, the coin rattle sound has reduced. Earlier, the sound was more loud and more frequent. Now, it is still present at 5K rpm range, but is less.
The RPM range you've mentioned is where the resonance vibrations kick in on a single cylinder motorcycle, during which anything and everything that's loose starts to rattle.

A simple fix would be to get yourself the right tools and get the job done yourself or run from pole to post in search of a decent mechanic, the choice is yours.

As for the timing chain tensioner, for over a decade or two now motorcycles come with self tensioning timing chain tensioners, they do not offer scope for manual adjustment, so I'd suggest you take the mechanics claim with some salt.

A single cylinder is prone to vibrate quite a bit even with counter balancers in place, that's its character and a motorcycle has several moving parts inside it and it bound to make some noise, though none that'd go past a decent helmet.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 13:50   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. FZ25 has a decade old engine design (Yamaha XT250 AFAIK). From my experience, tappet settings are needed once in a while. In fact, after adjusting tappets to proper value, after a few 100kms of ride, the tappet noise returns. Some says tappet noise issue will resolve by 20000kms of ride. Mine has only completed 11500kms.

The bigger irritant is coin rattling noise when you revv above 4000 rpm. My bike has this coin rattle sound coming too frequently and continuously at 4k-6k range
Thank you deepclutch for the detailed response. This is very useful for myself and anyone exploring this bike. It's the fun factor that draws people to this bike, but wish yamaha was able to mitigate some of the issues reported so frequently.

After using this bike for over 10k kms, is there any other bike you would have bought if you had a chance now over fz25 in a similar price range?
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 09:31   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you ever face any coin ringing sounds around 5k rpm or valve clearence issues? Have heard a lot about these issues and is currently slowing down my decision of putting down money on this bike.
I don't think I have come across tappet or coin ringing sound as most riders [unfortunately] have faced.

But, others are facing issue, now, how concerning is that, I am not sure, but, please have a word with ASC once [senior mechanic etc]

Quote:
After using this bike for over 10k kms, is there any other bike you would have bought if you had a chance now over fz25 in a similar price range?
I may not, though this is a nice motorcycle, there is no top end worth a 250cc mill, plus, the front end isn't as telepathic as [say] the R15, even the rear is not.

But, mine is a completely different story.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you deepclutch for the detailed response. This is very useful for myself and anyone exploring this bike. It's the fun factor that draws people to this bike, but wish yamaha was able to mitigate some of the issues reported so frequently.

I bought the bike only 2 months back as a used bike with odo at ~8000kms. I rode ~3500kms by this time. I carefully went through the choices before selecting FZ25, as it ticks my needs especially rear seat which is comfortable. It has simple oil cooled setup. However, I did not know that the bike suffers from manufacturing issues - Coin rattle and Tappet noise which is claimed as engine's character. Apart from the noise, I did not face any performance issues.

I gave the bike to a dealer service and they reset the timing chain tensioner and adjusted valve clearances. The coin ringing noise reduced a little for some time, until I hit the highway for a short ride. It is these two things that you've to bear owning FZ25. Apart from that, the front fork oil leak, rusting of the silencer pipe (service centre repaints the silencer for free).

If I choose now, I don't find any other choices that fit my need (a sporty city commuter suitable for short rides also). May be Mahindra Mojo. But, non-existent service network means that choice is void.
deepclutch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:00   #131
BHPian

Quote:
If I choose now, I don't find any other choices that fit my need (a sporty city commuter suitable for short rides also). May be Mahindra Mojo. But, non-existent service network means that choice is void.
What about the Suzuki Gixxer 250?
BigBrad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:05   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
What about the Suzuki Gixxer 250?
Its a good alternative and can be considered. Only downside I see are the relatively low sales/not as comfortable seating position and low end torque compared to the fz25.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 01:18   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the 5th service done.

Currently the odo reading is at 4,250 km mark.

There was no problem with the bike, so it was only a general checkup with engine oil & oil filter change.
Total Bill - Rs 900.

This time, i went ahead with YamahaLube 10W-40 sporty premium instead of Motul7100, 10W-40.

Few observations after riding for 200 km with the YamahaLube-

The bike feels more free revving with the YamahaLube than the Motul7100. The Motul will definitely fare better if used for more than 3,000 km, but i change oil at every 2,000 km.

Earlier the max speed in 1st gear was around 46 km/hr, now its going till 48/49 km/hr. I do not have any explanation on this. Clutch slippage with Motul?
The top-speed has also increase by around 3 km/hr. It went all the way till 88 Mph by sitting in an inclined position.

Above 8,000 rpm the engine felt more smoother with the Motul. The vibrations on the foot-peg & handle bar was lesser.

A couple of pics after the service-

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_2242.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_2268.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 10th January 2020 at 01:25.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 12:45   #134
BHPian

My colleague Arijit, an owner of Yamaha FZ-25 for 2 years has been doing many exciting road trips which include trips to Gurudongmar, Spiti, Dzongu, Puri, Borong and many more. I was accompanied by him in my last trips to Dzongu and Spiti. I consider his motorcycle to be extremely reliable and competent with a decent torque and fuel efficiency. However there is one factor which has been problematic on multiple occasions is the fork oil seal. There has been leakage while riding on undulating surfaces especially on stony roads. I would like to know if you have received similar complaints or it’s due to his riding style

Snaps from our last Dzongu trip -
Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-81115748_1454264701400480_4800579925645983744_o.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-81230901_1456943527799264_8155976370631999488_o.jpg
PointZero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 00:20   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Around 4,800 km on the Odo.

Low usage continues. Nothing much to update since my last update in Jan. Bike is running absolutely fine.

Apart from a couple of 100 km rides, bike is mostly been used locally.
Mileage is hovering between 27-30 km/L with 90% usage with pillion & town traffic.
Am happy with the Yamahalube, now am sure, its a bit more free revving than the Motul7100, though with Motul7100, vibration at higher rpm was lesser. I will stick to Yamahalube during the next oil change.

Few days back there was a situation, where I had to apply hard braking and by using the front brake 80% and the rear brake 20%, the bike did an excellent job in stopping. It didn't lose it's composure either, though I made sure the handle was straight. The braking is impressive. Mine is a non ABS version, so comparing this with my earlier KarizmaR, this bike has a far superior braking.

Sharing a couple of pics from a small ride-

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_4324.jpg

Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-img_4327.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
However there is one factor which has been problematic on multiple occasions is the fork oil seal. There has been leakage while riding on undulating surfaces especially on stony roads. I would like to know if you have received similar complaints or it’s due to his riding style
From the Yamaha Fz25 WhatsApp group, I have read about the failure of front fork oil seal too. Am yet to face it. Some members have shifted to a thicker front fork oil (Motul 20W). They reported, this change has improved the handling, plus the oil seal failure has reduced. Hope your friend find this info useful.

Last edited by Samba : 10th August 2020 at 00:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks