Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2018, 08:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour : Royal Enfield Continental GT discontinued?

According to reports in IAB and motorbeam, Continental GT is discontinued. Though the official RE website still shows the vehicle as being sold in India, dealers across the country have stopped accepting booking offers for the same. This may be due to (i)new bigger variant GT 650 being introduced this year (ii) poor sales of the vehicle.

Quoting from the original articles :

Quote:
IAB :

In December last year, it was reported that the Royal Enfield Continental GT managed to clock only 3 units in November. The lack of sales can be attributed to the discontinuation of the bike from the Indian market. According to the media site, the brand’s authorised dealerships have stopped accepting the bookings for the bike. However, Royal Enfield is set to introduce a bigger variant, the Continental GT 650, along with the Interceptor INT 650. The GT 650 will be the most powerful cafe racer from the brand, and will still be one of the most affordable cafe racers in the country.

Motorbeam :

Royal Enfield seems to have pulled the plug on the Continental GT 535 in India. While few dealerships who have stock are trying to clear them off, dealers who have exhausted theirs are not accepting new bookings for the cafe racer. The motorcycle might have failed to impress the Indian folks but it does come across as an appealing machine in several international markets. However, the motorcycle still continues to feature on Royal Enfield’s official website.

The vehicle sold just 66, 26 and 3 units in September, October and November 2017 respectively
Mods, please change the thread title if the news is indeed true and not a rumour .
TorqueyTechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:07   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour : Royal Enfield Continental GT discontinued?

I've been reading multiple reports on the same. The Conti GT535 sure did a spawn a wonderful collaboration with Harris Engineering that built that lovely frame. I rate that frame of theirs very highly and good to see RE improving on it and plonking in a new engine. With the new Conti coming in, it won't make sense on having this single cylinder model exist at just a lakh of rupees below the twin. Of course this is assuming the ex-showroom of GT650 will be priced in the 3-3.5 lac range. For now It's good bye Conti-GT535 and Say hello to the new Conti GT650 twin.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

It was a collectors edition the day they launched it. I would buy it just to keep it unless for the ugly engine in it. It did not feel powerful. Heck, my 12 year old CI bullet 500 felt lively. Where this bike shone was its frame and how it hug the roads while carving those corners. It is indeed the best thing to do and relaunch with the 650 engine.

GT650 will be a good addition to that frame and again i would love to get one as a collector edition.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
It was a collectors edition the day they launched it. I would buy it just to keep it unless for the ugly engine in it. It did not feel powerful. Heck, my 12 year old CI bullet 500 felt lively.
I test drove the bike immediately after it's launch, engine in deed was the weak point of the bike, brakes are still the best among RE's of today!

For some reason, just like the Himalayan, the bike didn't receive any attention from the non-enthusiast public, this might be the main reason for it's poor sales.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Spoke to a bangalore dealer. They are not taking bookings for outgoing Continental GT anymore. However, the dealer said that GT650 booking can be made. Expected on-road price in Bangalore: Rs. 3.8 L.
k88k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 11:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
For some reason, just like the Himalayan, the bike didn't receive any attention from the non-enthusiast public, this might be the main reason for it's poor sales.
Continental GT was strange bike for RE - full of contradictions. As a cafe racer it was not particularly fast, it neither had the thump nor "royal" bearing of RE and it was not comfortable to ride! India also does not have the nostalgia of cafe bike culture like West. It is a bike with no market.

Himalayan is different but I think the poor reliability killed it. (and maybe the weak engine).
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 16:24   #7
BHPian

Re: Rumour : Royal Enfield Continental GT discontinued?

This paves way for RE to offer a killer pricing for the Twins. I think both Twins will not be priced very far off from current CGT 535 pricing. And that would have killed the product anyway, as no one would be interested to buy a single cylinder bike when a nominal premium can upgrade him to a twin. This surely gives a positive hint towards RE's pricing/positioning strategy for the upcoming bikes.
Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks