Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2019, 15:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2018 Bajaj Avenger 220 series launched at Rs. 92,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Isn't ABS mandatory from March 2019? I wonder if there's any benefit of manufacturing something with it becoming non compliant in a couple of months.
Guess you missed the previous post - ABS version has been confirmed now.

Bajaj, like other mainstream manufacturers, waiting for almost the last minute to switch to ABS versions as that would result in a price hike.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:03   #17
BHPian

I wish they would modify the rear seat to be bit more wider and comfortable to pillion driver.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I wish they would modify the rear seat to be bit more wider and comfortable to pillion driver.
I agree, the rear seat could be a bit wider. But then there are fantastic third party seats available for the Avenger that are much more wider and comfortable. There is one that has an adjustable front seat back rest as well. Just YouTube for "Bajaj Avenger modifications" video and you will see the options.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 09:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows what is the factory stock setting of the air fuel screw on the Avenger 220. I am talking about the small brass screw that adjusts the fuel flow from the carb.

Recently the service guys messed up with it and now I have problems in cold starts. The bike hesitates a lot until it warms up. It needs a choke for almost half a kilometer before the hesitation stops.

Prior to the service it was absolutely fine and I could start riding within seconds of starting it.

I have opened the fuel screw upto 5 turns and the problem has reduced but not completely gone.

Could it be something else.
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Anyone knows what is the factory stock setting of the air fuel screw on the Avenger 220. I am talking about the small brass screw that adjusts the fuel flow from the carb.
Hi Traveller,
I had the same issue for a long time and I kept fiddling with the fuel ratio screw(brass screw). As the avenger does not have a RPM gauge its difficult for you to set it by your self and leads to a lot of hit and miss.This will be a simple tune up of the carb setting. Suggest you get your bike tuned up by a good local mechanic. I did the same for mine and has been running smooth as butter ever since. It took the mechanic less than 2 minutes to set it right.
Seacat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Recently the service guys messed up with it and now I have problems in cold starts. The bike hesitates a lot until it warms up. It needs a choke for almost half a kilometer before the hesitation stops.

Prior to the service it was absolutely fine and I could start riding within seconds of starting it.

I have opened the fuel screw upto 5 turns and the problem has reduced but not completely gone.

I am not familiar with the carb of the avenger 220. So my 2 paisa comes with riders.

Generally, Carbs have two screws. One is the idle screw and the other is the main jet screw. Idle screw is used only during start and up to say 1st gear ( depends on bike / rpm dependent). Adjusting it would mean turning it fully inside ( full rich ) and then opening it out first by 1.5 turns out. If engine idles ok then turn out further until at one point the engine would just misfire and die out. The screw should be set exactly between these two points. Further once done, please mark it with some marker or something. The main jet screw adjusts the height of the jet needle and used only during higher gears / rpm.

Btw, in almost all carbs, both are brass screws. The screw that is closest to the engine is mostly the idle screw and the main jet screw is on the pipe that holds the throttle body. In some motorcycles (Hondas especially) , the idle screw is even located at some point where you cannot mess around with it. This is needed so as to conform to environmental regulations.

If you can get a workshop manual for the bike, it should IMHO give instructions about the carb settings as per bajaj standards.

Last edited by srini1785 : 23rd September 2019 at 13:14.
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I am not familiar with the carb of the avenger 220. So my 2 paisa comes with riders.

Generally, Carbs have two screws. One is the idle screw and the other is the main jet screw. Idle screw is used only during start and up to say 1st gear ( depends on bike / rpm dependent). Adjusting it would mean turning it fully inside ( full rich ) and then opening it out first by 1.5 turns out. If engine idles ok then turn out further until at one point the engine would just misfire and die out. The screw should be set exactly between these two points. Further once done, please mark it with some marker or something. The main jet screw adjusts the height of the jet needle and used only during higher gears / rpm.

Btw, in almost all carbs, both are brass screws. The screw that is closest to the engine is mostly the idle screw and the main jet screw is on the pipe that holds the throttle body. In some motorcycles (Hondas especially) , the idle screw is even located at some point where you cannot mess around with it. This is needed so as to conform to environmental regulations.

If you can get a workshop manual for the bike, it should IMHO give instructions about the carb settings as per bajaj standards.
Thanks for the information. I am aware of the two screws. Avenger has a idle adjustment screw that basically adjusts the throttle and another brass screw that is the Fuel Volume control screw.

Unlike earlier motorcycles where the air fuel mixture could be adjusted as you explained , in the avenger its only the fuel that can be adjusted. Turning the screw anti clockwise makes the mixture rich and vice versa.

My challenge is to find out what is the factory setting for the Fuel Volume control screw. The workshops folks are of no help and there is no workshop manual available.

Some information I could gather is that the screw is turned 4 to 5 turns anti clockwise from the factory but it is not confirmed.

Someone who has an Avenger 220 could possibly verify this and post.
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:46   #23
BANNED

Quote:
My challenge is to find out what is the factory setting for the Fuel Volume control screw.
I own a Bajaj Pulsar 220.

Workshop manual recommends 2.5 Turns.

I recommend 1.5 Turns.

If you go past 4 Turns there's a high chance that the screw would go missing, irrespective of motorcycle.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I own a Bajaj Pulsar 220.

Workshop manual recommends 2.5 Turns.

I recommend 1.5 Turns.

If you go past 4 Turns there's a high chance that the screw would go missing, irrespective of motorcycle.

Cheers,
A.P.
Wow. I am at 5 turns now. Will reduce it to 2.5. Have you got a copy of the workshop manual by any chance.

I hope your information is correct.
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:54   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Wow. I am at 5 turns now. Will reduce it to 2.5. Have you got a copy of the workshop manual by any chance.

I hope your information is correct.
See for yourself.

Pulsar 220 Workshop Manual ENGLISH.pdf

At 2.5 Turns my FE was about 28kmpl, at 1.5 turns my FE stands at 37kmpl, best ever being 51.1kmpl.

I'm not into FE but I've had this motorcycle for quite some time and the carburetor was left untouched, so one day I got bored enough to play with it and that's how I ended up at 1.5 Turns.

BTW, since you mentioned 5 turns, do read up on 'Bore Wash'
Old 24th September 2019, 11:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
See for yourself.

Attachment 1917541

At 2.5 Turns my FE was about 28kmpl, at 1.5 turns my FE stands at 37kmpl, best ever being 51.1kmpl.

I'm not into FE but I've had this motorcycle for quite some time and the carburetor was left untouched, so one day I got bored enough to play with it and that's how I ended up at 1.5 Turns.

BTW, since you mentioned 5 turns, do read up on 'Bore Wash'
Would you have the service manual for the Avenger 220? I was wondering whats the fork oil capacity for the avenger, Thinking of changing it myself.
Old 25th September 2019, 17:58   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Would you have the service manual for the Avenger 220? I was wondering whats the fork oil capacity for the avenger, Thinking of changing it myself.
Sorry Sir.

I do not, even the P220 one was provided by Vijay Anand.
Old 2nd November 2019, 18:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

So I reached out to Bajaj and sent an email to the top boss. Surprisingly I got the local dealer's call within a couple of days.

The official way to adjust the carb is by hooking up a CO2 meter to the exhaust and monitoring the amount of CO2 being produced.

On further prodding it was told that the Air Fuel Screw on the Avenger should be between 1.75 to 2.5 turns open. So I have now set it to 2 turns.

Kudos to Bajaj for reverting back and taking care of this.

Most Viewed