Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2018, 10:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
So i tested this, bike will start if you are in neutral with side stand on, but the moment you slot in gear it will turn off. If you are already in gear, and side stand is down, it will not start at all.
Thank's AtheK, it's the same mechanism as most modern bikes. Any damage to the side stand sensor (Magnet & Switch) in case of a fall or a slide would render the bike to be towed as it wouldn't start at all. The same as the KTM's
dual disc 200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 17:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So i tested this, bike will start if you are in neutral with side stand on, but the moment you slot in gear it will turn off. If you are already in gear, and side stand is down, it will not start at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dual disc 200 View Post
Any damage to the side stand sensor (Magnet & Switch) in case of a fall or a slide would render the bike to be towed as it wouldn't start at all. The same as the KTM's
True. I witnessed this first hand when I was at a car wash center where an RC390 was getting washed. Since it does not have a center stand, the washing guy tried to lift the front wheel by putting the weight on the side stand. It snapped clean off and the bike would not start at all no matter what.

As an aside, sorry if i missed this but the RR310 does not come with a center stand does it?
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 17:29   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
True. I witnessed this first hand when I was at a car wash center where an RC390 was getting washed. Since it does not have a center stand, the washing guy tried to lift the front wheel by putting the weight on the side stand. It snapped clean off and the bike would not start at all no matter what.

As an aside, sorry if i missed this but the RR310 does not come with a center stand does it?
This sure is dangerous, imagine getting stranded on a highway after fall. One you have a fall, and you are sad, Second you can't even go home even if the bike can be still ridden. There should be a fail safe mechanism to disable this feature from the speedometer.

No RR310 also does not get a centre stand.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 20:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
This sure is dangerous, imagine getting stranded on a highway after fall. One you have a fall, and you are sad, Second you can't even go home even if the bike can be still ridden. There should be a fail safe mechanism to disable this feature from the speedometer.

No RR310 also does not get a centre stand.
Depending on the kickstand sensor, it usually needs a magnet to trip off the signal. What I have done in the past with Asahi Denso sensors(pretty much the main vendor for kickstand switches) is take a Hard Drive magnet or a high powered magnet off of McMaster/Amazon. Cover up the kickstand sensor and that should allow you to run the motorcycle. A rubber band or wrap should help.
Bhatman510 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 21:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

We went for an all Apache morning breakfast ride(probably the first ever of India) to Maiyas at hoskote road. Round trip of about 130 Kms and the bike behaved really well. I was able to go till 157 km/h on one of the open stretch of roads.

Was joined by one Team Bhpian, HighOctane, as his new bike got to get the feel of highway for the first time. Was pretty ncie to see 5 projector lights in my rear view for a change(I was leading). The lights are very visible on highway, and tough to miss out even with the sun blazing down. Bike did well and the engine seems to have settled down well. The vibrations are now reduced, but still pretty much there. I was wearing leather gloves, so din't feel them much, other riders said they were evident at high speeds.

High octane feels that his ZMR is more comfortable then the Apache. I will let him elaborate more. The screw from the number plate fell off(Odd), and i missed a beat when i heard so much of rattling sound on slowing down. Had to put a paper at the housing before coming back, surprisingly paper did better.

Had a police checkpoint, just before the destination and they were stopping all bikers, they did not harras us much, just looked at the DL and insurance and let us go. People travelling that side of town, please be aware. They were also testing the exhaust of bikes and revving them, specially bullets. Not sure why always target the bikers, it's kind of become a favorite past time of traffic police. The other way to look at it is, make quick money.

Other then that ride was pretty smooth, had a nice breakfast. Chatted about issues with bikes, pretty much everyone having the same issues as posted above. The windshield quality is pathetic across the 6 bikes, with pretty much all of them scratched. TVS needs to fix this. Let me leave you with some pics, no one had an action camera, so all pics are with bikes being stationery.

Lined up

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-lined-up1.jpg

The Tail View

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-backs.jpg

From the Front

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-front.jpg

In a Line

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-line.jpg

From the other side

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-line-other-side.jpg

The Gang

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-gang.jpg

KTM Gang - Ended up meeting this lovely gang

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-ktm-gang.jpg

Another location and a front pic again

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-another-location-front1.jpg

The Back again

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-bac-again1.jpg

My dear Drakula, ready to eat what comes it's way.

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-drakula1.jpg

An experimental Video

Drakula has completed 975 Kms, and will be going for it's first service next week. I have minor niggles which need attention, and i will revert back once servicing is complete. I am hoping TVS is able to iron out the niggles.

As another thought of an upgrade thinking of getting this 6 position Level Break and clutch, will probably do it after first servicing.

https://www.amazon.in/Guance-Positio...70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks for reading through.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th March 2018 at 21:56.
AtheK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 22:19   #36
BHPian

Hi Athek,

Congrats on the purchase of the Apache 310 and a big thank you for posting such a detailed review of the motorcycle. I am looking at the BMW G310r as a possible upgrade to my 2015 Suzuki gixxer. Since the Apache and the G310r share the same engine, your review has only heightened my anticipation of the G310's launch!

I wish you many more times ten million happy kilometres on Drakula. Do share a review of your first service, looking forward to it! I do have a few queries for you(mostly about NVH levels since I have been spoiled by the refined Gixxer), if you'd be kind enough to answer them.

Is there a particular rev range for the engine vibrations or are they a constant presence like on the earlier Apaches? How about vibes under hard acceleration? Are the mirrors usable on the highway, since fairing mounted mirrors tend to vibrate at speed. Lastly how would you compare the NVH levels of the Apache 310 to the Gixxer or other similar Japanese motorcycles you may have experience with.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 11th March 2018, 22:33   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Hi Athek,

Congrats on the purchase of the Apache 310 and a big thank you for posting such a detailed review of the motorcycle. I am looking at the BMW G310r as a possible upgrade to my 2015 Suzuki gixxer. Since the Apache and the G310r share the same engine, your review has only heightened my anticipation of the G310's launch!

I wish you many more times ten million happy kilometres on Drakula. Do share a review of your first service, looking forward to it! I do have a few queries for you(mostly about NVH levels since I have been spoiled by the refined Gixxer), if you'd be kind enough to answer them.

Is there a particular rev range for the engine vibrations or are they a constant presence like on the earlier Apaches? How about vibes under hard acceleration? Are the mirrors usable on the highway, since fairing mounted mirrors tend to vibrate at speed. Lastly how would you compare the NVH levels of the Apache 310 to the Gixxer or other similar Japanese motorcycles you may have experience with.

Thanks in anticipation.
Hi Shumi,

The bike does well below 5000 rpm, it's after that the vibrations start creeping in. Vibrations don't necessarily spoil the experience, but if you are used to refinement, you might feel a bit put off. I am not in a position to comment on a comparison with any japanese bike, as i have not ridden them extensively. I have upgraded from an apache RTR to RR, and it is quite a bit of step up.

Bike cruises comfortably on 6th gear at around 6000 rpm, the vibrations being minimal at that point. Once you start pushing it, they tend to increase a bit. The plastic body of the bike also i guess adds up to adding to a bit of vibrations, a metal tank would have probably done better. The mirror do a very good job on highway with a good viewing angle, you need to tinker quite a bit to get the best position.

BMW would probably control the NVH better, but i am not expecting it to be a miracle and hugely different. That said wait it out till BMW launches the bike in India, one you can check what premium is BMW asking for, second you can Test drive the TVS by then and also the first set of niggles would have been ironed out.

Best of luck.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 08:03   #38
Team-BHP Support

How I wish that TVS had designed its rear in a such a way that it would not require that ugly hugger. Just see the way Honda managed in the CBR 250R.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 08:31   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Just see the way Honda managed in the CBR 250R.
Or the way how Suzuki did it with Gixxer SF.
Old 12th March 2018, 10:35   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How I wish that TVS had designed its rear in a such a way that it would not require that ugly hugger. Just see the way Honda managed in the CBR 250R.
Yes stands out like an eye sore, will be getting it removed. Still unable to figure out how should we go about adding the frame sliders, guess will need to do a clamp job.
Old 13th March 2018, 23:28   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

So Drakula went through the first service today. Overall the Service experience from Prakruthi was so much better then the Sales experience. It can also be attributed to the fact that not many bikes are on the roads and service center engineers can give a lot of attention to your bike.

I was in and out of the showroom in less then 3 hours and they did the entire servicing in front of my eyes. Prakruthi has setup a seprate floor just to service RR310, it consist of 4 bays, and for today Drakula sat there as a king, the lone warrior, the lone blood sucker :P

The service was a no nosense affair, engineer heard all my issues patiently and acknowledged to fix them, issues reported by me.

1. Sound coming from near chain Sprocket
Solution - Chain tightened and well lubricated, sound has reduced drastically, but still audible in rough patches. Will get it checked again soon.

2. Neutral tough to find.
Solution - Clutch adjusted, problem resolved.

3. Windshield makes a bit of noise
Solution - Windshield tightened, along with all screws of the fairing.

4. Beak pads making some noise
Solution - Removed, properly air cleaned, issue resolved.

5. Tyre hugger to be removed
Solution - Removed and they installed spacers. They had the spacers ready with them as they say 8 bikes that have come for service, 7 have got it removed. TVS already gave them the spacers proactively, expecting this move from customers.

General Service.

1. Bike washed thoroughly.
2. Engine oil changed to Motul Semi Synthetic Oil, They initally were advising to put TVS synthetic oil, but i told them i will get it done in next Service.
3. Oil Filter changed.
4. Chain lubed and Cleaned
5. ECU reading taken/Updated.
6. Bike polishing.
7. Bike tyres deflated and filled with nitrogen. They told me that the bike comes with nitrogen from the company itself. They just remove and refill again.

Total cost - 1137 Rupees.

There is a recall for a part where the rear view mirrors are, the parts have not arrived, but i will be called once they have it and that is the time we will spend time fixing the sound coming from the rear.

Overall a great service experience, and i hope TVS continues with this approach. The engineers are receptive and try there best to help. It might be a placebo effect, but i think the Exhaust is sounding much better after the service has been completed. Now it is time to take it to highway, and see what can this bike do while redlining it on all gears.

Let me leave you with some pics.

Getting a Bath

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-wash.jpg

Enjoying the attention.

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-enjoying-attention.jpg

Notice the 4 bays, on the right we have the customer lounge coming up. RR310 owners can directly come to first floor and sit in the exclusive lounge. Will have AC and a TV with coffee maker, well TVS got this part right. On a side note, maybe this can be the place serving BMW g310 customers as well.

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-g310r.jpg

Ugly Tyre hugger removed

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-tyre-hugger.jpg

The macho look with the Chain exposed.

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-macho-look.jpg

TVS Synthetic Oil

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-tvs-synthetic-oil.jpg

Motul Semi Synthetic (The one i used)

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-motul.jpg

ECU Update

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-ecu-update.jpg

Polishing the bike

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-polishing.jpg

Nitrogen DEflation and Inflation

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-nitrogen.jpg

The descend of the Drakula to the wrold of the mortals

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-descend-king.jpg

Thanks for reading, next up is the engine and ride review after my next highway ride.

Last edited by AtheK : 13th March 2018 at 23:30.
AtheK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 00:22   #42
BHPian

Oh it looks so, so much better without the hugger. Also, the service experience sounds wonderful. Attentive and forthcoming. Just the way it should be Hope they keep it up.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 00:41   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't 15w50 which you used too thick compared to the TVS recommended lube?? What's recommended in the owners manual??
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 00:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Isn't 15w50 which you used too thick compared to the TVS recommended lube?? What's recommended in the owners manual??
I need to check, but in all the youtube videos, Service centres have been using the motul, so i was a bit skeptical. The service centre guy by the looks did not look sure if the synthetic oil was the way to go. They had used motul for previous 7 bikes, when i went they were out of stock. He later got it from an accessory shop nearby.

Last edited by AtheK : 14th March 2018 at 00:51.
Old 14th March 2018, 00:57   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I need to check, but in all the Youtube videos, Service centres have been using the motul, so i was a bit skeptical. The service centre guy by the looks did not look sure if the synthetic oil was the way to go. They had used motul for previous 7 bikes, when i went they were out of stock. He later got it from an accessory shop nearby.
Yes Motuls are one of the best lubes around, no doubt in that. But one should always stick to the recommended viscosity. Motul comes in W30, W40 and W50 grades, but I don't think a modern and refined engine like the RR310's will need such a thick engine oil. W50 is used in Bullets and some Bajaj engines.

Kindly check your owner's manual once.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks