Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2018, 09:21   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yamaha R3 BS4 launched @ Rs 3.48 lakhs

2018 R3 is such an impressive package! We went on a bhpian group ride to kolli hills and I rode the R3 for full distance. Metzelers have transformed the handling and I was able to do as much speed as I would on my RC 390.
Yamaha R3 BS4 launched @ Rs 3.48 lakhs-img20180513wa0090.jpg

Only gripe is that you would be scraping the footpegs if lean angles are more. Also the ABS kicks in too early.
Yamaha R3 BS4 launched @ Rs 3.48 lakhs-img20180514wa0014.jpg
I would go as far as saying R3 is as good as 2017 Duke 390. It would have been awesome if Yamaha gave slipper clutch to R3

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th May 2018 at 09:43.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 09:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I have ridden R3, RC and Ninja 300. From my experience I can safely say R3 is the worst when it comes to handling, at least in the stock suspension setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Metzelers have transformed the handling and I was able to do as much speed as I would on my RC 390.
Nice to see your feedback has changed so much on the 2018 version as compared to the original.

Is it only due to the Metzelers? Or have they done anything to the soft rear suspension?
Old 14th May 2018, 09:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Is it only due to the Metzelers? Or have they done anything to the soft rear suspension?
Suspension remains soft, but it doesn't show as much as it did with the pathetic MRFs of the old R3. But suspension is good enough for a great dose of fun.

If you have ridden a CBR on twisties before, the 2018 R3 is a better tyred, better accelerating, better sounding, better braking CBR to be accurate.
It is easy to throw around the corners, it inspired as much confidence that RC does. Only slight difference is RC you don't even have to plan a corner, it takes you through it
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 00:20   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Same curve, same rider(me ), same line and almost exact entry speed. Look at how similar both the leans are. RC must be slightly leaned more, very slight difference.

Just to emphasize my previous post about how R3 handling has become really impressive with metzelers.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha R3 BS4 launched @ Rs 3.48 lakhs-photo-collage20180519_0000102.jpg  

PrasannaDhana is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 18:22   #20
BHPian

A friend of mine, being owner of 2018 BS4 Yamaha R3, got a call from the dealership last week to come down and meet a few Yamaha personnel who would love to hear about his experience till now.

It was scheduled on Saturday, Oct 6th, and I decided to accompany him to see whats exactly this is about.

We reached around 11 at Monarch Yamaha (Tilak Road) and a job card was created for the bike. We were taken to the first floor (which also sells spare parts and has a service bay) and introduced to a couple of people. There was one Japanese guy and an senior looking Indian person (My bad I did not get the names). The conversation was only between the Indian representative and my friend (and me chirping in when I could not resist). The Japanese guy sat there listening to the conversation, and took notes.

The Yamaha Indian Representative (naming him YIR) first explained the purpose - To understand the impact of the latest changes offered to the customers: Metzellers Tyres and ABS. There will be a questionnaire that will be filled in front of my friend with exact words he will say.

And then we were given water bottles, fruit juice and sandwich.

Meanwhile, we could see the bike in the bay area, ECU connected to diagnostic connector. And we asked the apparent question - "Is this some kind of recall to fix something disguised as feedback session?"

YIR: No, No, not at all. We are just doing general check-up that's it.

Then they started with usual questions like - Who owns the bike, who runs it, is it used by more than one person, personal details, registration details, odo reading etc.

Other imp questions which followed (and as many as I remember) were:
  • Which other bikes you considered along with R3
  • Did you have a budget in mind?
  • Do you ride daily or only on weekends?
  • Who sits as pillion? How often?
  • Are you aware of Metzeler tyres? On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate them?
  • what are the positives and negatives of Metz according to you?
  • How important tyre life for you is as cost of ownership? What would you consider the ideal tyre life in terms of KMS?
  • Are you aware of ABS? If yes, can you please explain?
  • Do you think ABS is imp? Why?
  • How imp are brake pad life in terms of cost of ownership? What would you consider the ideal break pad life in terms of KMS?
  • What the average speed when you ride?
  • Whats the max speed you have ridden?
  • Does ABS adds confidence while riding?
  • What was the speed when you applied brakes and felt ABS kicking in?
  • Did you notice ABS light when it kicked in?
  • What are the positives and negatives of ABS according to you?
  • Are you aware of single channel and dual channel ABS? If yes, can you please explain?
  • If given a chance, would you buy a bike with single channel ABS or dual channel?
  • How likely are you to recommend R3 to friends and family?

The YIR filled the questionnaire online with my friend's answers. During the conversation, my friend pointed out an issue:

His bike chain caught rust with <400 kms of running. He went to the showroom from where he purchased the bike (different than this one) and they just down played it saying it happens in rains, its no big deal etc. They did not even had lube at that time. Later, he got the first servicing done at this same showroom, but they also did not care much about the rust and did not bother to clean the chain.

Upon hearing this, the YIR and his counterpart (not the Japanese guy) sprung into action. They inspected the bike multiple times and the rust marks were still there. They called a few service center guys (apparently there was also a person from the first service center as well) and discussed with them (we were not a part of that conversation).

Then they instructed the service guys to thoroughly clean and dry the bike and lube the chain, While this was happening, YIR guys mentioned many times to my friend that they are taking care of it and it should not have happened!

After the bike was done, they came and told us that the issue has been raised and they need availability confirmation from the warehouse. My friend can expect a call within 2 weeks from the service center and they are planning to replace the chain set along with sprockets!!

Overall, we returned mightily impressed. After the end of the feedback, my friend was given a Yamaha T-shirt and they also clicked some pictures (I wanted to be shameless and ask one for myself as well but could not :P)

And now my heart is constantly saying - "Yes Yamaha!"
quickfox11 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
A friend of mine, being owner of 2018 BS4 Yamaha R3, got a call from the dealership last week to come down and meet a few Yamaha personnel who would love to hear about his experience till now.
Fabulous to see that one Japanese giant taking the Indian market's feedback very seriously. Replacing the chain set costs Yamaha nothing in the larger scheme of things but buys tremendous amount of good will. Just yesterday, I wrote on this same forum that Yamaha India was asleep, well after reading your post, I am happy to say that I was wrong

Now how about bringing in 100 units of the R6 and gauging the response from the market?
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:33   #22
BHPian

I wish those Yamaha guys had shown similar interest in my FZ1 (when I had one). Non-availability of basic consumables like oil/ air filter and brake pads with the dealer really put me off.

But the reliability and build quality of a Yamaha ( CBU especially) is legendary and in the 6 years of being with my beloved FZ1 never ever did I face a single mechanical or electrical problem!

Last edited by Crankpin : 9th October 2018 at 16:35.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 17:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
This is completely opposite to the way the way Kawasaki treats its Indian customers. Hope Yamaha also starts CKD of R1, MT-10, MT-09 etc. soon.
Old 9th October 2018, 18:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Overall, we returned mightily impressed. After the end of the feedback
Even I am impressed. The questionnaire was thoughtful and meticulous. And just based on this aspect if I had to choose between R3 and N-300, I would go for R3, but the 2019 version [heard it will have more goodies] or if the MT-03 comes, nothing like it.

Thanks for sharing BHPian .
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 23:47   #25
BHPian

I am impressed reading about the Yamaha in India. Now I will want to give them a try. I had very good experience with my first bike, but then due to non availability of any good powerful bikes I stayed away from them all this while.
Old 22nd October 2018, 00:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up the 2018 Version R3 in Blue from Perfect riders during the Dussehra festival week.

Yamaha R3 BS4 launched @ Rs 3.48 lakhs-r3-first-pic.jpg

Have a temporary registration as the number series I want is atleast a good 2 weeks away.
nkrishnap is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:56   #27
BHPian

[quote=nkrishnap;4482061]Picked up the 2018 Version R3 in Blue from Perfect riders during the Dussehra festival week.

Congratulations on your new blue beast, looks awesome. Sir, kindly share some details on the purchase decision as well as the booking experience. Also, post some more pictures of your new ride when you can.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=greenoval;4482320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Picked up the 2018 Version R3 in Blue from Perfect riders during the Dussehra festival week.

Congratulations on your new blue beast, looks awesome. Sir, kindly share some details on the purchase decision as well as the booking experience. Also, post some more pictures of your new ride when you can.
Will share on the ownership thread. Logging in a few miles to note all the observations. Photo-shoot is due too.
Old 29th October 2018, 23:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Headed out for a quick ride on Saturday night. Finally managed to cross the 400 mark on the odo. The run in is a painful exercise considering how quickly and smoothly this thing revs up to 7,000 rpm.

Need to make some more time out of work, ride more and get the 1600 km mark done and dusted to let it loose.

Yamaha R3 BS4 launched @ Rs 3.48 lakhs-r3-night-ride-2.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 12:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
His bike chain caught rust with <400 kms of running.
Upon hearing this, the YIR and his counterpart (not the Japanese guy) sprung into action.
After the bike was done, they came and told us that the issue has been raised and they need availability confirmation from the warehouse. My friend can expect a call within 2 weeks from the service center and they are planning to replace the chain set along with sprockets!!
UPDATE: NO SHOW AT ALL!

Although everyone was super enthusiastic and made promises to resolve the issue, my friend never got any call or follow-up from the officials or the dealership! He decided against chasing them by himself because of this previous bad experinece with the dealers, and coz he has no contact info of the officials. Well...NO YAMAHA?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks