Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2018, 20:30   #1
BHPian

Restored Yamaha RX100: Keep it or sell it?

hey Guys,

I restored my 1995 RX 100 completely and it has been running amazing since last 3 years. now with the Green tribunal etc, i am worried that they might ban 2 stroke bikes soon, (just a hunch!). currently, the selling price is about 45k in Bangalore. its a mind v/s head game for me. my heart says not to sell and head the otherwise. waiting for your views. In case I sell it, I might bring home a Thunderbird X sooner or later
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 21:09   #2
BANNED

re: Restored Yamaha RX100: Keep it or sell it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
hey Guys,

I restored my 1995 RX 100 completely and it has been running amazing since last 3 years. now with the Green tribunal etc, i am worried that they might ban 2 stroke bikes soon, (just a hunch!). currently, the selling price is about 45k in Bangalore. its a mind v/s head game for me. my heart says not to sell and head the otherwise. waiting for your views. In case I sell it, I might bring home a Thunderbird X sooner or later
RX100...Thunderbird X..Hmm... Got any social insecurities you're yet to address?

Jokes apart, if you like the RX100 keep it, if not then sell it and I guess you've already made up your mind since this post is up.

Rather than going for a push-rod plagued(too early to judge but Royal Enfield's track record warrants it) with quality issues I'd suggest you try something more reliable which is still air cooled and carburetted keeping robustness in mind.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 21:36   #3
BHPian

I went through a similar kind of dilemma when I bought my NS200. It was a head vs heart decision on whether to keep my old love or not as I was having trouble looking after two motorcycles at the same time. Ended up selling the old motorcycle (Discover ST) and I am glad I did so because now the bike is well looked after. I would suggest you to do the same and get a motorcycle which wouldn't be affected by the laws/get a new motorcycle .
Old 2nd March 2018, 21:50   #4
BHPian

I’d say, keep the RX 100. The RX 100 has something special that no other bike can even come close to. We still have a 1986 RX 100 and use it rarely, mostly only in the weekends. The 2 stroke Ban is mostly not going to affect the RX. There are innumerable RX 100’s on the road and getting them off the road isn’t going to be an easy task. Even if you buy the Thunderbird X, you will certainly regret selling of the RX. It just has a special feeling no other bike has been able to offer.

And also, your resale value seems to be on the lower side, we got a quote for our RX which is close to double of your resale value.

Again, do keep the RX with you. It can prove to be a good companion to the Royal Enfield.

Regards
Prathik

Last edited by Prathiiik : 2nd March 2018 at 21:53.
Prathiiik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sold my RX100 to a friend few months back, only because I had no other choice since I was having few more rides at home! Trust me nothing else will make you feel the same way, I sold it thanks to my Duke 200, but Duke feels thrilling only on high-speed runs, RX was fun everywhere!!!

Specs are something, but fun can never be measured.
giri1.8 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Keep it. Keep it. Don't sell it. I regret selling both of them, every time I see one on the road.
I so badly want one but the price in Bangalore for one is so off the roof, I think it will remain a dream.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 03:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I guess you've already made up your mind since this post is up.
nope, not yet mind up my mind, that is why this post guess i am going to keep it!
Old 3rd March 2018, 03:03   #8
BHPian

Thanks for all your views! I have decided to stick with it. I will be moving from US to India in 3 months and I think keeping it makes more sense at least for now and invest the money that I would have instead invested on the Thunderbird elsewhere.

Mods, please close this thread.
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:23   #9
BHPian

I bought a mint condition RX100 2 years back (i am the 2nd owner). I have not really used it much and its catching dust! I plan to get it serviced and probably spend to get it shiny. Even today when a RX passes by, my head turns. This is one bike which is here to stay.

My advise - DONT sell...
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 17:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I am now into the 28th year of ownership of a mint condition, 1990 RX 100. It is one of my proud possessions. Though I was sometimes tempted to swap it for a new bike, this never happened and may never, now. As already said by many here, its one of a kind and nothing comes close to it even. Moreover, luckily, the OE spares are still available, more than 17 years after the production was stopped.

I just got it fitted with a new 2.50 X 18 Birla tyre, replacing the old MRF (old footwear seen here in the picture). Sadly, except Srichakra and Birla, no other company makes tyres of this size.

I have also got the five year fitness done during the end of 2017 and the bike has added a new lease of five years to its life.

Regarding two stroke bike ban, there are hardly a few left in every city and even the NGT ban has excluded two wheelers in NCR, which is not amusing. It's because apart from we connoisseurs, the lowest strata ( like daily wage labourers and so on) are owners of two stroke two wheelers.

So let the RX 100 rock.

Restored Yamaha RX100: Keep it or sell it?-img_20171012_161025337.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd March 2018 at 17:32.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 13:14   #11
BHPian

Please don't sell it, I have my uncles '96 RXG and have been using it since 2008. Have spent a good amount of money to keep it in good running condition. I use it pretty regularly for short rides (15 kms one way).
Trust me, nothing comes close to the sound, vibrations and feel of the RX's when ridden enthusiastically. I agree that these are not the most ergonomic bikes to ride around but they do bring a smile on your face whenever you ride them.

I have been approached by numerous people asking me to sell my bike to them, my mechanic who has been maintaining it for the past 9 years also keeps asking me to sell it to him, but I don't feel like!

I owned another Yamaha (SZ-R) which I sold in 4 years and now I will be getting another one (FZ-S, used) but I will not be selling the RXG.

Mine is not even fully restored - I got the engine done up a couple of years back. You should definitely keep yours.

Don't worry about the government norms, i'm sure that 100 RX's put together will not match the pollution spewn by 1 ST bus!

Last edited by jomson13 : 4th March 2018 at 13:18.
jomson13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 13:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Keep it. Having it and not using it much is far better compared to looking at it at parking lots and red lights and sighing.

I had one, sold it for peanuts and than bought it again. Have not sat on it in close to a decade but I am still glad I have it. I am assuming the paperwork is alright.

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2018 at 08:10. Reason: typo
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 12:53   #13
BHPian

Re: Restored Yamaha RX100: Keep it or sell it?

Sell it! and make sure you sell it to me as i have been looking all over for one. Jokes apart if you can then you should keep it. Its a timeless beauty.
Old 6th March 2018, 13:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

It's obviously a heart over head decision. I understand perfectly. I have a '94 Shogun at home. Not in running condition, but I know I can get it up and running in a week if I'm willing to spend the time, effort and money on it.

The heart says yes, do it! It was my first bike, my college bike, the bike I took my girl (now my wife) on first, my companion on several rides, my first accident, my first broken arm, etc, etc.

My head says no way! Spend precious weekends looking for parts, deal with a lot of shady mechanics out to scam you, etc, etc. And for what? Nostalgia apart, ANY modern bike is quicker, faster, safer, better designed, less polluting.

It's going up on the TBHP classifieds as soon as I can find the time to dust it and click pics.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:13   #15
BHPian

Guys, I'm looking for a RX100. If anyone of you decide to sell, please let me know. I'll buy. I'm hoping one of your mind gets ahead of your heart

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks