Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2018, 15:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Mojo UT300 launched at Rs. 1.49 lakh

As a prospective buyer, I will have three questions:

1. How is it better than a fz25 if I tend to do city riding a lot?
2. How is it better than a dominar 400 if I wanna tour a lot?
3. How is it better than r15 3.0 if I am a college goer?

Because all 3 are similarly priced, I have no reason to choose this ugly duckling. No offence to owners.

More than Fi, abs, pirelli tyres , the most important thing Mojo(both versions) lack is USP.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th March 2018 at 15:39.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 09:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Congratulations. Looking forward to your ownership review on this. Nice reviewed summary of pros and cons.

Sure I am all excited to write one post delivery.

Did you consider any other bikes?

I was in the market for a bike that could do it all (commuting, touring, take on the twisties) within a budget of 2 lac. I test rode the Dominar and FZ25 back to back and felt FZ connected better with me. Like yourself I liked the simplicity of the motorcycle. Although FI was a must for me.

Yes, I did consider quite a few bikes like FZ250, Apache RTR 200, Another Royal Enfield (Himalayan), KTM, Kawasaki etc.
I didn't like seat arrangement in Apache and KTM - It's not good for the pillion.
My son and I tried FZ250 and we both liked it and were almost about to freeze on FZ250. However, there were a couple of drawbacks. The seating posture, you have to slightly lean forward. I felt it's not customizable to your needs (This is told by the SA) and I personally didn't like the fairing.
With Himalayan, knowing the poor build quality, never felt like going with it.
Bajaj, I am not a fan of Bajaj bikes. In good old days, I loved those Chetak scooters.
Kawasaki\Harley\Triumph - I have reserved these for my next upgrade.

Yeah, that's smart. If the missing features aren't going to be a deal breaker. it makes sense to put in the extra money saved in some good riding gear.

Well in most of India it's generally hot, hotter, hottest. So best to invest in a mesh riding jacket and riding pants. Riding Pants take some time getting used to, so you can get riding denims also. Other option will be a good solid set of knee guards, that you can wear under or over your normal denims. personally I feel Riding boots are a must that cover your ankle. Check out the gear by Mototech as I use them. They have really good options.
Thanks for your advice. Yes, as a first thing, I would like to invest in a good helmet, A riding jacket, Knee guards and also elbow guards. I do have riding boots already. I will check Mototech. Thanks once again. Appreciate your time and valuable advise.
Make my forest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 17:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make my forest View Post
I didn't like seat arrangement in Apache and KTM - It's not good for the pillion.
I agree. One of the main reasons I switched from a Duke 200 to a FZ25.

Quote:
My son and I tried FZ250 and we both liked it and were almost about to freeze on FZ250. However, there were a couple of drawbacks. The seating posture, you have to slightly lean forward.
Yes slightly lean forward position is there. But you get used to it.

Quote:
I felt it's not customizable to your needs (This is told by the SA) and I personally didn't like the fairing.
That is not true. Lot of mods can be done. The handle bar can be repositioned slightly towards you. Other modifications also can be done. I feel it's a good starting base point for some extra mods. Cosmetic or performance upgrade wise.

Was there any difference in the lighting system of the UT and XT300? I believe LEDs are missing if I'm not wrong.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. Yes, as a first thing, I would like to invest in a good helmet, A riding jacket, Knee guards and also elbow guards. I do have riding boots already. I will check Mototech. Thanks once again. Appreciate your time and valuable advise.
You're most welcome. I assumed you had a good helmet already. Since you are purchasing a Mojo, have you checked out the gear being offered from them? I just had a quick look. They seem to have some good accessories and riding gear. Their helmets are DOT ECE certified too.

You can maybe haggle with the dealer for a discount on accessories and gear. Mojo isn't really doing good numbers and I feel having gear with your bike's brand adds some extra touch of style (if done right).

Note to Mods: Please edit Make My Forest previous Post to multi-quote. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2018, 17:54   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
1. How is it better than a fz25 if I tend to do city riding a lot?
It is any day good to get stuck in hours long bumper to bumper traffic on a liquid cooled motorcycle than an air cooled motorcycle. Not to mention the upright riding position of the Mojo would help jump over potholes and speed breakers with minimal discomfort to rider. Then there's that 10nm more torque that comes up 500 rev's earlier than the FZ25.

Quote:
2. How is it better than a dominar 400 if I wanna tour a lot?
Touring is never all about high speeds or handling but about robustness and in that front the cheaper Mojo wins hands down merely because it comes with a Carburetor. And yeah then there's the riding position again. Not to forget that the Mojo's fuel tank is almost doubt that of the Dominar's.

Quote:
3. How is it better than r15 3.0 if I am a college goer?
The riding position of the Mojo would do a lot more good when it comes to daily commutes and the semester break trip to Goa.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 15:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
It is any day good to get stuck in hours long bumper to bumper traffic on a liquid cooled motorcycle than an air cooled motorcycle.
Tell that to KTM owners

Quote:
Not to mention the upright riding position of the Mojo would help jump over potholes and speed breakers with minimal discomfort to rider.
I've had no issues with tackling bad roads on the FZ25. Suspension is very well sorted out for Indian road conditions. However the upright seating of the Mojo with the extra wide seat and cushioning on the UT300 seats will surely make a difference.

Quote:
Then there's that 10nm more torque that comes up 500 rev's earlier than the FZ25.
This is a good point. But after doing some basic math. Torque/Ton rating for FZ25 is 135 Nm/Ton (considering 20Nm and 148 kg) , whereas for the UT300 it is at 140 Nm/Ton (considering 25.2 Nm and 180 kg). It makes a marginal difference but the FZ25 is lighter and more flickable. Wish the UT300 made the same amount of torque as the XT300.

Quote:
Touring is never all about high speeds or handling but about robustness and in that front the cheaper Mojo wins hands down merely because it comes with a Carburetor.
This point I feel could've been true maybe 5-10 years back, but FI systems are way more advanced and robust these days.

Quote:
And yeah then there's the riding position again. Not to forget that the Mojo's fuel tank is almost doubt that of the Dominar's.
+1 for riding position and with respect to fuel tank capacity Mojo is definitely more of a tourer in this aspect than the Dominar. In fact in this aspect the FZ25 does strike a good balance at a 14 lit. fuel tank.

Quote:
The riding position of the Mojo would do a lot more good when it comes to daily commutes and the semester break trip to Goa.
I agree, well put.

Hope you didn't mind me disagreeing to your points. Just giving my 2 paisa of observations. Peace!
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 21:45   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Tell that to KTM owners
Man! That's unfair considering that the KTM twins are choked for performance.

Though in comparison the Duke 200 and Mojo 300 runs near similar compression and in spite of the 50% bump in displacement the Mojo has better heat management. For all fairness I'm not even going to address the other KTM in the lot that runs crazy compression and heats up crazy.

Quote:
I've had no issues with tackling bad roads on the FZ25. Suspension is very well sorted out for Indian road conditions. However the upright seating of the Mojo with the extra wide seat and cushioning on the UT300 seats will surely make a difference.
Rather than suspension configuration I was going for the posture;

Mahindra Mojo UT300 launched at Rs. 1.49 lakh-mojonewside.jpg

With Duke bars my P220 had a similar seating position as the FZ25 which was engaging and fun when my ass was off the seat but once in a while there's that sneaky pothole/bump that would catch me by surprise and pull a number on my back, but when I went a bit overboard and went for the Discover handle bar setup the posture transformed to a more relaxed one and even without having to get off the seat I was able to tackle aggressive undulation. In my case all factors remained the same except for the handlebar position and that made a world of difference.

Cushioning helps too I guess though personally it has not bothered me much except for an isolated incident on a Fazer16 during college around 2012 when we rode barely for 400 km's in a day and by the time I got home my ass was killing me, though I believe it was due to taking turns and riding pillion at times as pillion seats are always an afterthought for manufacturers.

Quote:
This is a good point. But after doing some basic math. Torque/Ton rating for FZ25 is 135 Nm/Ton (considering 20Nm and 148 kg) , whereas for the UT300 it is at 140 Nm/Ton (considering 25.2 Nm and 180 kg). It makes a marginal difference but the FZ25 is lighter and more flickable. Wish the UT300 made the same amount of torque as the XT300.
Numbers are similar but power to weight is good for timed runs but not a reliable measure when it comes to usable torque and hauling load, and as for the 5nm drop in the UT300's peak torque, I believe a dyno run would give a better picture of the situation cause though EFI show peak gains carburetors take the cake when it comes to average gains.

Quote:
This point I feel could've been true maybe 5-10 years back, but FI systems are way more advanced and robust these days.
EFI's have come a long way from open to closed loops being a common things these days but still irrespective of that when a FI fails it fails, but when a carburetor's jets choke, slide sticks, float pin seizes etc its just a matter of minutes before you're back on the road.

Which might not seem that tempting now but imagine this happening in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere when you're riding solo.

Quote:
+1 for riding position and with respect to fuel tank capacity Mojo is definitely more of a tourer in this aspect than the Dominar. In fact in this aspect the FZ25 does strike a good balance at a 14 lit. fuel tank.
The FZ25 seems promising indeed, it would've been a bang if they'd given it an easy to access halogen headlight and carbureted fueling, cause until the FZ25 came to the market I was recommending the P220 to anyone whose looking to cover some serious miles, I'd still recommend the P220 but not wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Hope you didn't mind me disagreeing to your points. Just giving my 2 paisa of observations. Peace!
More thoughts are welcome, at least we critique and put forth valid points that would benefit a potential buyer more than what any "Vlogger" or the likes could provide.

When someone consults me for a recommendation I like to be able to make suggestion supported by on-the-road facts rather than advertised information.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 8th March 2018 at 21:47. Reason: Attachment Error.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 21:44   #22
BHPian

I am in the market for a bike, my main purpose will be longer rides of 200-300 km around Bangalore and maybe the occasional multi day trip. I'm considering the following bikes, CBR250, Dominar and the Mojo. I plan to buy second hand.

I test rode a Dominar, it was a very well maintained piece and was offered at quite a discount. However, I found the engine noise and vibrations to be too much, though the person said that at highway speeds, it gets a lot smoother. I decided to go test the other bikes before I finalize with him.

I have a couple of queries about the Mojo
- I keep hearing about the butter smooth engine. How does it compare with the Dominar? Is it on par with the CBR?
- What is the future for Mahindra? Do they continue to sell the Mojo or are they going to shut shop. Does it make sense for a new buyer to get in at this time?

I have a couple of Mojos lined up for test drive this week, so want to be clear before I go ahead
Old 26th June 2018, 09:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
I keep hearing about the butter smooth engine. How does it compare with the Dominar? Is it on par with the CBR?
Mojo's engine is definitely more smoother than that of Dominar's. It is almost on par with that of CBR 250's engine, except that it red-lines only upto 9K RPM. Mojo has a superior DOHC engine as opposed to Dominar's SOHC. If you want a bike which is fast and fun but less smooth comparatively then get the Dominar. CBR although a great all-rounder, is really outdated now in terms of power or features. You will find many reviews on YouTube which speaks about the smoothness of the Mojo's engine. (PowerDrift have mentioned about it in quite a few videos)

Quote:
What is the future for Mahindra? Do they continue to sell the Mojo or are they going to shut shop. Does it make sense for a new buyer to get in at this time?
Mojo is Mahindra's baby. They will keep it going for quite sometime. There are reports about come-back of the legendary Jawa brand with modern features. And it is supposedly going to use Mojo's engine. So rest assured, there is no uncertainty about its existence. Yes, Mahindra has closed most of its 2W business but they have kept enough centers open for buying and servicing Mojo in most major cities. They now have the exclusive Mojo showroom-cum-service centers at many places in India.

For your usage which is mostly short/long distance touring, I would definitely recommend the Mojo. If you make up your mind for the Mojo then try to go for the XT300 (FI variant) as its a better package overall.
Old 26th June 2018, 11:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the market for a bike, my main purpose will be longer rides of 200-300 km around Bangalore and maybe the occasional multi day trip. I'm considering the following bikes, CBR250, Dominar and the Mojo. I plan to buy second hand.
If you're going for a second hand bike, go for Honda. They're bullet proof, easy and cheaper to maintain IMO. Plus even though it maybe outdated now it still packs a punch. Plus it seems like you are looking for refinement with a good balance of performance.

Quote:
I test rode a Dominar, it was a very well maintained piece and was offered at quite a discount. However, I found the engine noise and vibrations to be too much, though the person said that at highway speeds, it gets a lot smoother. I decided to go test the other bikes before I finalize with him.
Yes it smoothens out at highway speeds to an extent. But consider the fact where you will be doing the majority of your riding.

Quote:
I have a couple of queries about the Mojo
- I keep hearing about the butter smooth engine. How does it compare with the Dominar? Is it on par with the CBR?
Yes it's smooth and vibe free and on par with the CBR. But I personally feel CBR is better in this aspect. Plus not sure about engine life with Mojo. Honda is a pretty proven product.

Quote:
- What is the future for Mahindra? Do they continue to sell the Mojo or are they going to shut shop. Does it make sense for a new buyer to get in at this time?
There is no clue as to what M&M's 2W division is cooking up. But since they have invested a lot of time and money in the Mojo's development it is unlikely they will shut shop. And ofcourse there is talk of using this engine in the new renewed Jawa and BSA brand of bikes also. But I personally wouldn't trust anything unless and until the machine is on sale and in the showroom.

Quote:
I have a couple of Mojos lined up for test drive this week, so want to be clear before I go ahead
Yes you should definitely take a test ride and see what's what and what will suit you best. Good luck in your purchase. Hope you get to make a good deal.
Old 26th June 2018, 19:42   #25
BANNED

Just to add.

Quote:
Honda. They're bullet proof,
The reason they're "bullet proof" is due to their defensive state of tune, compare the CR's of Honda's with their counterparts from other manufacturers to know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
easy
Long term ownership with a Honda is easier due to the rudimentary technology involved plus it also helps that Honda's being available internationally makes acquiring workshop manuals easier be it OEM or aftermarket, though this is only beneficial for the DIY enthusiast as Honda's demand a premium when it comes to labor charges.

Quote:
cheaper to maintain
Just as baseless as the common notion that Honda motorcycles are of better quality as compared to their Indian counterparts.

Honda spares are comparatively more expensive and harder to source compared to that of indigenous manufacturers in spite of components being manufactured by common suppliers.

Now speaking for the CBR250R, the only reason you should be considering the same is if you really want to own one, the refinement is better comparing other options but that is purely due to its state of tune, there are other more cost effective motorcycles in the market suitable for the use you've mentioned(The RTR ABS or the P220 depending on ABS vs Displacement preference) but none that offers the reassurance that the CBR250R does, slap on a decent pair of rubbers and irrespective of STD or ABS variant the handling would win you over, the motor though not a typical Honda when it comes to the low end performance but makes up for it when the rev's start counting, in fact most people don't realize that the motorcycle is way more fun to ride nearing peak RPM's.

In comparison the Mahindra Mojo is a CBR250R with better low end oomph and without the track pedigree(I know its hard to digest but the CBR250R can kill corners courtesy the heavy front end) or service/ownership support, but the riding ergonomics is worth the sacrifice, not saying that it would make much of a difference considering that you intend to keep your rides under 500 km's but if by chance you intend to explore further in the future then it would help.

Another factor relevant to touring that is not addressed as much is visibility and surrounding awareness. Riding anything with clip-on's your field of vision would be drastically reduced and would require more strain on the highways just to see well ahead or to change lanes, and the more km's you rack up your awareness and focus would be limited to the point that you would develop a sort of tunnel vision. Not a matter of concern if you're not a frequent tourer or if you do not intend on racking as many miles but definitely a point to consider, which would be another pointer to go for the Mojo over the CBR.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 26th June 2018 at 19:59.
Old 26th June 2018, 21:44   #26
BANNED

I recently acquired a Mojo, a used one. The bike had done 3500 km approximately and was a year old. The seller had upgraded to a Kwacker and was letting this go.
The background to this acquisition was that I wanted to do a bit of motorcycle touring. I checked many bikes out including the CBR 250 and the FZ 250.
The deal-breakers were the low handlebars and the rearset footpegs of most modern motorcycles. Only the Bullet and the Mojo met my requirements.
I test rode the Mojo a year ago but couldn't get myself to put down over two lakhs on a bike that I was going to ride sparingly. The bike felt good in almost all aspects.
When the UT version was launched, I headed to the showroom and did yet another ride; the bike felt lighter and nimbler.
Some browsing of the used bikes online had me shortlisting and buying my present steed.
The above narrative is posted merely to emphasize that it was a well thought out purchase. I paid 60 percent of the cost of a new one. The bike feels good, is well put together and has ample power, torque, braking and presence.
Underrated but good.
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 09:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked a blue version of Mojo UT300.
Any updates on your experience so far? Hope you got the bike and are too busy enjoying riding it far and away.
Old 1st March 2019, 16:39   #28
BHPian

Bumping an old thread because I am seeing a 75k employee discount being advertised for the Mojo UT 300. I am not a bike guy and don't have a pressing need for one. Just wanted to understand if this is a good value purchase at that price. I will literally need to learn to ride. If I buy one it will be used for to and fro office trip (instead of using the Estilo) which is a journey of 22 kms each way.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 1st March 2019 at 16:44.
Old 1st March 2019, 16:48   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Bumping an old thread because I am seeing a 75k employee discount being advertised for the Mojo UT 300. I am not a bike guy and don't have a pressing need for one. Just wanted to understand if this is a good value purchase at that price. I will literally need to learn to ride. If I buy one it will be used for to and fro office trip (instead of using the Estilo) which is a journey of 22 kms each way.
Go for it, eyes closed.

The Mojo is a steal for that kinda money, plus I know of riders who bash their motorcycles day in and out and they speak very dearly of the Mojo, hence I see this as a long term investment as well.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 17:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

With monthly sales numbers that mirrors 8 lakh plus bikes.. I am seeing Mahindra putting down the Mojo (can't still get over the name) soon. Also Mahindra now has a pet project called "Jawa" to focus on, which actually seems more promising. In which case, spares availability would be an issue. Not to mention question mark over the After Sales / Service availability.

I have personally had a similar experience by getting myself a Hero Impluse. I was aware of the fact that it was discontinued, but I reasoned how difficult would it be to get spares and service? After all it was a Hero that shared parts with other of Hero's 150 cc models. But boy, I was so wrong..!!

Ultimately I decided to get rid of my after sales and spares nightmare.. even though I really loved the Impulse.

MORAL: It makes sense just to be a member of a Pack than risk being a Lone Wolf. Especially True if you just want to own one for stress free ownership experience.

Last edited by payeng : 1st March 2019 at 17:15.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks