Team-BHP - Mahindra Mojo UT300 launched at Rs. 1.49 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Mahindra Mojo UT300 launched at Rs. 1.49 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/196583-mahindra-mojo-ut300-launched-rs-1-49-lakh.html)

Mahindra has launched a new variant of the Mojo named UT300 at prices starting from Rs. 1.49 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). As an introductory offer, Mahindra is offering a discount of Rs. 10,000 on the UT300 until March 31, 2018.

Mahindra Mojo UT300 launched at Rs. 1.49 lakh-announcementreveal_testridepost.png

The Mojo UT300 is placed below the standard Mojo which is now named as the XT300. In terms of its dimensions, the Mojo UT300 measures 2,115 mm in length, 800 mm in width and 1,150 mm in height. Its wheelbase is 1,460 mm which is 5 mm shorter than the XT300 however seat height has increased to 818 mm. The bike weighs 163.5 kg (dry weight) and comes with a 21-litre fuel tank. It is available in 2 monotone colour options Volcano Red and Ocean Blue.

Mahindra Mojo UT300 launched at Rs. 1.49 lakh-coverphoto_launch_ut300.png

The Mojo UT300 looks identical to the XT300 however it loses out on some features. Instead of upside-down front forks, the more affordable variant gets conventional telescopic forks in the front and a monoshock in the rear. It has a digital instrument panel and twin-pod headlamps but lacks LED DRLs. It also loses the twin-exhaust setup and instead, it gets a single side-mounted exhaust.

Mahindra Mojo UT300 launched at Rs. 1.49 lakh-ut-300-launch-announcement.jpg

The Mojo UT300 is powered by the same 295 cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine however, instead of fuel injection it gets a conventional carburettor. The engine produces 22.7 BHP @ 7,500 rpm and 25.2 Nm of peak torque @ 5,500 rpm and is paired with a 6-speed gearbox. Braking is handled by a 320 mm petal type disc in the front and a 240 mm disc in the rear. To keep costs down, Mahindra does not offer the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres from the XT300 on the UT300. It rides on 17-inch alloy wheels shod with 110/70 and 140/70 section MRF Nylogrip Zapper tyres in the front and rear respectively.

Link to Team-BHP News

Well for me this looks like fantastic value for that silky smooth engine that Mahindra offers, the pricing is just fantastic.

I am in the market for a motorcycle and if it comes to around 1.7 lakhs in Bangalore, Mahindra can count me in. That engine is enough to draw prospective buyers at that price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebat (Post 4366536)
I am in the market for a motorcycle and if comes to around 1.7 lacs in Bangalore, Mahindra can count me in.

On-road Bangalore for UT300 is around 1.93 lacs, with the limited period discount it comes down to 1.83 lacs. Thanks to the high taxes in our state.
When Mojo (XT300) was launched, it was about 1.95 lacs on-road Bangalore, right now its about 2.25 lacs on-road Bangalore. :Frustrati

UT300 is few kgs lighter than XT300 and is more flick-able within the city. Power is enough for city use, but on highways it would struggle to go beyond 130kmph, whereas the XT300 can go upwards of 150kmph. (Just for the numbers, I do not recommend riding at those speeds anywhere in India).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funny (Post 4366550)
On-road Bangalore for UT300 is around 1.93 lacs, with the limited period discount it comes down to 1.83.

UT300 is few kgs lighter than XT300 and is more flick-able within the city. Power is enough for city use, but on highways it would struggle to go beyond 130kmph, whereas the XT300 can go upwards of 150kmph. (Just for the numbers, I do not recommend riding at those speeds anywhere in India).

Hmm, that's strange. Spoke to the people at the Mahindra two wheeler showroom located in Rajkumar road and I was informed that the price would be 1.7 lacs as for the month they are offering insurance at Re.1 and due to the 10k discount the road tax should also reduce marginally.

Now coming to the top speed, shouldn't they be close if not identical between the two? I was under the impression that apart from the silencer the engine mechanicals are the same between the twins. Beside the USD forks I don't see any major changes to the UT, the dual silencer looked silly on a single cylinder anyway.

If this is anywhere close to 1.8 or 2 lacs it would loose pathetically to the dominar which is a better rounded product and the service and support is far better with Bajaj.

If I remember correctly the earlier fuel injected mojo used to develop ~28 HP. Now the carbureted version develops only 22 HP. This is a downer for me.

If TVS can get same horsepower from both carbureted and Fuel injected engines why couldn't Mahindra?

Very ugly bike. Seems like it’s come from the 90’s. I once rode the more expensive version of this bike and was pretty disappointed. Engine though refined, lacks character. The Dominar is a way more accomplished motorcycle and I see no reason to pick this up over it.

An ugly, overexpensive, dull piece of machinery which has now lower quality parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebat (Post 4366536)
Well for me this looks like fantastic value for that silky smooth engine that Mahindra offers, the pricing is just fantastic.

Does it get ABS? If not - it's a sitting duck once again in the market.

The bike lacks a USP now - with major ones the dual silencers (which sounded good too), Pirelli tyres etc gone. And has a major weakness of not having ABS. 22bhp is rather weak too.

Frankly - I don't see why anyone should consider this one over Dominar 400 ABS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4366631)
Frankly - I don't see why anyone should consider this one over Dominar 400 ABS.

That might indeed be the case, this might be a product that's dead on arrival. And yes there IS no ABS.

From what I heard it was supposed to compete with FZ25 and the like, but Mahindra have again not got it right.

The Mojo was always a niche motercycle with its iffy styling and naked/touring credentials and the UT would be no different. I belive its for people who do not want the same run of the mill bikes that are familiar on our roads.

With the way Mahindra is toying with its two wheeler division, they might even shut shop soon.

Mahindra have been playing with MOJO for a long time now..they should have understood long back and moved on.

'Face it'..it is an ugly looking vehicle and desperately needed facelift.

The extreme version is good (components wise atleast). Had witnessed a lot of testing on highways and boy..it was an excellent performer.

But the UT lacks everything..all the good things have been stripped off and what remains is pure ugliness.

Its hard to believe Mahindra actually thought making it cheaper will help them achieve monthly targets!

1. No Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres - MRF Nylogrips
2. No USD fork
3. No FI
4. No LED DRL
5. No FI - (both in UT and UT Extreme)
6. Not a great looker

Mahindra's think tank is surely struggling.

I doubt this will take off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebat (Post 4366563)
Hmm, that's strange. Spoke to the people at the Mahindra two wheeler showroom located in Rajkumar road and I was informed that the price would be 1.7 lacs as for the month they are offering insurance at Re.1 and due to the 10k discount the road tax should also reduce marginally.

Mojo exclusive dealer in Bangalore quoted 1.83 lacs with discounts. I am not sure about other dealers though. You can call them up for exact figures.

Quote:

Now coming to the top speed, shouldn't they be close if not identical between the two? I was under the impression that apart from the silencer the engine mechanicals are the same between the twins. Beside the USD forks I don't see any major changes to the UT.

There is another major thing which is missing - Fuel Injection. Power/torque reduction can be due to the missing FI or maybe Mahindra chose to de-tune the engine on purpose to keep the higher variant (XT300) more compelling. At 1.93 lacs, I seriously don't think why anyone would not pay 25K extra for more power/torque, USD, FI, pilot lamps and the dual exhaust (for its sweet sound), unless one is on very tight budget and prefers that GEM of a engine over competition.

Quote:

If this is anywhere close to 1.8 or 2 lacs it would loose pathetically to the dominar which is a better rounded product and the service and support is far better with Bajaj.

That is the reality right now. With no ABS on offer, I fail to see why anyone would really buy the Mojo right now when competition offer much more for the price. Its high time, Mahindra needs to re-think its strategy. The only saving grace could be the launch of JAWA bikes. please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beco (Post 4366699)
5. No FI - (both in UT and UT Extreme)

You have repeated the FI point twice. (3 & 5) :)
And there is no UT Extreme, there are only two main variants. XT (Extreme Tourer) which is Fuel Injected and UT (Ultimate Tourer) which is Carbureted. There is a special tourer edition kit (leg guard, pannier, aux lights etc) which can be added to Mojo XT for about 20K extra, not sure if the same kit is applicable to UT300.

I come from an old school of thought. I lived and cherished every moment of 16 years with my ex-love Royal Enfield Bullet Delux 350(Cast Iron) version which I departed with about 2 months ago to let her go to another Gentlemen. Prior to that, I rode a 1977 model Bullet Delux for about 2 Years. So it's a love affair of close to 18 Years with Bullet.
Recently I visited Synergy Mojo in Basavangudi area of Bangalore to take a test ride of UT300. Thought it did a decent job. Some of the subtle changes I noticed in UT 300 and XT 300,
1. Perilli Ross Tyres a miss in UT 300
2. USD Shocks a miss in UT 300
3. Yes UT 300 is a carburated version of fuel injection (i find this more reliable)
4. The seat is longer and wider in UT 300 compared to certain colour offerings in XT 300(longer seat version is available only in black and white colours of XT300)
5. Both the side panels are made of mediocre plastics in UT 300 compared to metal ones in XT300
6. Ground Clearance is reduced to 163 mm in UT 300 compared to 170+mm in XT300
7. Single exhaust pipe in UT 300. (I consider this as a boon to get unnecessary weight)

Rest everything remains to be the same. (Hope I have not missed out on anything). So all in all, its nice package offered in an economy mode.

Post-test ride feedback.
1. I felt it has a very linear and progressive power drive with a pillion.
2. Clutch is not super smooth also did not find it too hard to operate
3. I did feel some knocking noise in the second gear at lower RPMs (guess it more of getting used to)
4. It is still front heavy; however, owing to the overall weight reduction, the UT300 comparatively easier to manoeuvre.
5. Turning radius is still high
6. Can cruise at 100s on highways with ease to cover the distance
7. Did not find much of a difference on the front telescopic suspension compared to USD within the city. I am sure, USD will play a crucial role on highways.
8. Seats (long version) are comfortable for both rider and pillion
9. Headlights do a reasonable job. But extra lights are needed for highway rides
10. Most of the times I will be travelling pillion and felt sissy bar is an essential feature.
11. Radiator guard might not be a compulsion but felt good to have
12. Crash Guard is a must is what I felt
13. The rear view mirrors do the job, but better to have extenders

Pros & Cons

Pros:
1.Good Fuel economy
2.Good Colour options (I liked both red and blue)
3.Lightweight
4.Is highway capable
5.Retaining the major offerings at a lower package
6.Long and wider seats comfortable for both rider as well as pillion
7.Reasonably decent power delivery
8.Carburated version is easy to maintain and any roadside mechanic and assist you with troubleshooting and get rid off minor wriggles
9.Low on maintenance
10. Robust construction. Built to last
11. It's moderately customizable

Cons:
1. Front Heavy
2. ABS is must have an option
3. Low-end torque should have been better (Knocking sound in the 2nd Gear)
4. Higher turning radius

That's all I can think as of now. I have booked a blue version of Mojo UT300. I thought of investing the surplus on accessories and riding gears.

Also I request some advice on the must have riding gears for long rides and city rides.

Quite sad. The Mojo was one of the most promising midsize bikes for Indian bikers who are not super-rich. If anything they should have refined it a little more and invested in better after-sales support and servicing, rather than dilute it all down. It's not like the Mojo was too expensive in the first place.

How disappointing :(

Carb version probably would be a bit more reliable on those cross-country rides considering their local-FNG-friendly nature. But they shouldn't have missed the ABS. I guess since the mandate for ABS on new bikes is from April 2018, mahindra launched this now just to beat that.

Doubt how many copies would be visible on the road considering the parent product(Mojo XT300? confused with the names stupid:) itself wasn't that popular. If they had to strip those features(USD fork, Pirellis & almost 6BHP loss etc) , they should have priced this around FZ25 territory. At ~1.5L OTR this would have somewhat made sense but at 1.8L+ Dominar would be the way to go for most

P.S: Never was a fan of how the Mojo looked, but somehow liked this blue one atleast in pictures :D

If the earlier version of Mojo did not find any takers, I doubt if anyone would even consider taking a look at this as an option when considering a bike within 2L budget.

With no ABS, a mere 22bhp at the throttle, and that UGLY looking front fascia, I doubt if it would find any takers.

Dominar being so VFM, I don’t see any point why someone would pick the new Mojo over the Dominar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make my forest (Post 4366743)
. I have booked a blue version of Mojo UT300.

Congratulations. Looking forward to your ownership review on this. Nice reviewed summary of pros and cons.

Did you consider any other bikes?

I was in the market for a bike that could do it all (commuting, touring, take on the twisties) withing a budget of 2 lac. I test rode the Dominar and FZ25 back to back and felt FZ connected better with me. Like yourself I liked the simplicity of the motorcycle. Although FI was a must for me.

Quote:

I thought of investing the surplus on accessories and riding gears.

Yeah that's smart. If the missing features aren't going to be a deal breaker. it makes sense to put in the extra money saved in some good riding gear.

Quote:

Also I request some advice on the must have riding gears for long rides and city rides.

Well in most of India it's generally hot, hotter, hottest. So best to invest in a mesh riding jacket and riding pants. Riding Pants take some time getting used to, so you can get riding denims also. Other option will be a good solid set of knee guards, that you can wear under or over your normal denims. personally I feel Riding boots are a must that cover your ankle. Check out the gear by Mototech as I use them. They have really good options.