Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 12:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

2018 Honda CBR 250R launched at Rs. 1.63 lakh

Honda has launched the updated 2018 CBR 250R in India. The bike is offered in two variants - STD and ABS priced at Rs. 1,63,584 and Rs. 1,93,107 (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively.

2018 Honda CBR 250R launched at Rs. 1.63 lakh-cbr250r4.jpg

Like the outgoing mode, the 2018 CBR 250R is based on a twin-spar type frame. It measures 2,030 mm in length, 720 mm in width and 1,127 mm in height. The wheelbase of the bike is 1,369 mm and the seat height is 784 mm. It comes with a 13-litre fuel tank and the ABS version weighs 167 kg.

2018 Honda CBR 250R launched at Rs. 1.63 lakh-cbr250r3.jpg

The 2018 model comes equipped with a full-LED headlight, single-pod instrument cluster with a digital readout and new colours and graphics. It has conventional telescopic front forks and a monoshock rear suspension. The bike rides on 17-inch, 5-spoke alloy wheels finished in black with colour-matched highlights on the rim.

2018 Honda CBR 250R launched at Rs. 1.63 lakh-cbr250r2.jpg

Mechanically, the new CBR 250R is identical to the previous version. It is powered by a 249.6 cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine which is BS-IV compliant. It delivers 26.1 BHP @ 8,500 rpm and 22.9 Nm of torque @ 7,000 rpm and comes paired with a 6-speed gearbox. The claimed top speed of the CBR 250R is 135 km/h. Braking duties are handled by 296 mm and 220 mm discs in the front and rear respectively, while 2-channel ABS is optional. Further, the bike rides on 110/70 section front and 140/70 section tyres in the rear.

2018 Honda CBR 250R launched at Rs. 1.63 lakh-cbr250r1.jpg

The 2018 Honda CBR 250R is available in four colour options - Matte Axis Grey Metallic with Mars Orange, Matte Axis Grey Metallic with Striking Green, Pearl Sports Yellow and Sports Red.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 13:07   #2
BHPian

Re: 2018 Honda CBR 250R launched at Rs. 1.63 lakh

Looks like someone has been poaching the sticker designers from Hero.

Why is Honda even trying? I have a 250R and I totally love it, but this product as such is about 7 years old and I'm seeing zero updates made to it so far. In fact, I think it has taken a step back in terms of top speed. Granted, it's well engineered, but it's about time to make some solid improvements like a better instrument console, backlit switch gear, steel braided brake lines, etc.

No wonder KTM bikes are still selling like hot cakes. Despite the niggles, at least Bajaj is improving its products constantly and making them better. The world gets the CBR300R and recently the 250RR and we get this. Guess Honda is content in sticking to the volume market making Activas while the competitors dominate the market.
evilmessiah is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 13:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Why is Honda even trying? I have a 250R and I totally love it, but this product as such is about 7 years old and I'm seeing zero updates made to it so far.
Seven years sounds like a decade in the motorcycling space.

Even Indian companies like TVS has caught up and marched ahead! I see no reason to prefer a seven year old CBR250R in 2018 as compared to the brilliant new RR310.

Or even save some money to just get the Dominar 400 instead.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 14:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Seven years sounds like a decade in the motorcycling space.

Even Indian companies like TVS has caught up and marched ahead! I see no reason to prefer a seven year old CBR250R in 2018 as compared to the brilliant new RR310.

Or even save some money to just get the Dominar 400 instead.
The Honda apparently does not vibe AT ALL - notes from owners. I think the D400 is cured a bit. The TVS has horrid bone jarring vibes.

The overall quality of the bikes also begs question. I saw a black RR310 upclose. I am sorry, I will not touch the bike. Not comparing it to a versys, but still. I have seen Honda's upclose. The bike is just spot on in terms of finishing.

The D400 has been reported with quality issues already in various fora (those upwards of 10-15k kms) - according to people in the know. I don't care for the bike so I don't follow it. But knowing what comes out of the Bajaj factory, I think there is some truth in these reports.

The Honda CBR 250R is still a very under rated but fantastic motorcycle. If I was in the market for a brand new single cylinder which will just work like the Versys does - The Honda wins, no questions asked.

My next best option will be the twin cylinder R3 - before the Ninja 400.

I feel these new kids on the block will be bought by people who have not fine tuned the nuances of their requirements. That will take some time for them to figure out (few years or more).

There's a reason why the Jap's are the kings of perfectly balanced motorcycles (right power-fit/finish-reliability) to this day.

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th March 2018 at 14:38.
Red Liner is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 15:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Looks like someone has been poaching the sticker designers from Hero.

No wonder KTM bikes are still selling like hot cakes. Despite the niggles, at least Bajaj is improving its products constantly and making them better. The world gets the CBR300R and recently the 250RR and we get this. Guess Honda is content in sticking to the volume market making Activas while the competitors dominate the market.
KTM have pampered Indians. If you look at theie power and price points -
200cc - 28 bhp - 2 lacs
390cc- 43 bhp - 2.75 lacs
...and Indians are happy!

So, a CBR with -
250cc - 25bhp - 2 lacs
with a dated design, seems far less exciting.

Albeit the orange and black combo looks cool.
Beco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 18:08   #6
BHPian

As the owner of a silver CBR from the very first batch, I find the colour options a bit too gaudy for my tastes but I am kind of stoked at the launch news as it means easy availability of spares for some more time to come.

To address the criticism leveled at the bike, I would say the bike is still competitive in real world though it loses out on paper in spec comparisons.
sidhu_hs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 21:02   #7
BHPian

I think the relaunch of CBR 250 is a good move from Honda especially now that the sub 2 lacs bike market is growing and people are wanting bikes in which they can tour, commute daily to office and everything in between plus have decent space for their significant other. CBR may not have the fastest 0-100 time or highest top speed in the segment but whatever it does, it's pretty good - comfortable, reliable, has a fairing for ton plus speeds, ABS, decent cruising ability at 100-120, vibe free engine, good pillion seat, can carry bit of luggage too with a metallic tank allowing magnetic tank bags - a Jack of all trades. Not everyone is looking to break track records or have razor sharp handling considering the horrible roads and worsening traffic. And CBR is just ~10 KMPH slower than a Dominar and does 0-100 in sub 9 secs which is not too bad.
I agree Honda should have upgraded the console and design and more powerful engine (with better low end torque) but the current version isn't too bad itself. Hate the new colour schemes though, a CBR in all black with a smoked visor would just look smashing!
Grease_Monkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 21:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if those graphics on the bike is a sticker job or is that a paint scheme?
Old 20th March 2018, 23:42   #9
BHPian

The new model's launch brings with it it's own set of positives & negatives. Here are the prominent ones, in no particular order

Positives
  • Resilient, reliable, decently powerful motor.
  • Vibe free, stress free riding experience.
  • Proven dual channel ABS.
  • Sturdy, simple & well tested mechanicals.
  • Wide after sales and service network.
  • Decently priced spares. Timely availability too, after a fashion.
  • Classic styling inspired from the VFR.(could be a negative in some people's opinion).
  • The all new LED headlamp cluster. The grouse of many an owner that night riding was fraught with risks on account of weaker headlights will now be addressed. It looks like that the headlight assembly can be swapped one to one with older models, and that'd be music to older owners' ears !

Negatives
  • Design - no refresh in so many years (though that could count as a positive too - would translate into ready availability of spares, especially fairing panels, many years down the line !).
  • Power, or the perceived lack of it in light of more powerful offerings of the competition.
  • Perceived higher cost vis a vis the competition. Though some may argue that reliability comes at a price.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 01:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beco View Post
KTM have pampered Indians. If you look at theie power and price points -
200cc - 28 bhp - 2 lacs
390cc- 43 bhp - 2.75 lacs
...and Indians are happy!

So, a CBR with -
250cc - 25bhp - 2 lacs
CBR 250: 250 cc - 26.5 PS - 22.9 Nm - 135 kmph - 1.66 lac (Non ABS)
Duke 250: 250 cc - 29.9 PS - 24 Nm - 131 kmph - 1.78 lac (No ABS!)

When compared engine displacement wise, the D250 edges the CBR250 marginally, but with a marginally lesser top speed.

Also the Honda offers the following over the Dukes, Dominar and the Apache 310:
- Legendary reliability
- Near Zero vibes
- Sales and Service network
- Appeal to the more mature rider

I'm in the market for a motorcycle this year, and the CBR 250R makes a lot of sense to me. I've been closely following the Dominar on a variety of fora and on YouTube. Although the D400 is a good performer cum tourer, there are quite a lot of niggles and vibes mentioned by majority of users, which can get annoying.

Also I own a Pulsar 180 and have used my friend's Unicorn 150 extensively during my college days. There is quite a lot of difference in the way the Bajaj ages and the Honda ages!

For someone who is on the wrong side of 30 and wants a motorcycle for recreational and touring purposes, and doesn't want to frequent the service station too much, the CBR 250R still has a lot to offer.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 09:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The Honda apparently does not vibe AT ALL - notes from owners. I think the D400 is cured a bit. The TVS has horrid bone jarring vibes.
I feel these new kids on the block will be bought by people who have not fine tuned the nuances of their requirements. That will take some time for them to figure out (few years or more).

There's a reason why the Jap's are the kings of perfectly balanced motorcycles (right power-fit/finish-reliability) to this day.
Man, I just can't agree more. Appears, I wrote this post

I rode the CBR-250R for few years, got bored, sold it off and got an air-cooled 250 Yamaha as I just couldn't connect with a non-Jap. The only negative of this Honda was, handling [in comparison to my erstwhile R15 or even the FZ series of Yamahas] and braking [mine was a non-ABS]

Rest, it was perfect. I just might go ahead and get, save for horrible mechanics who don't even know how to adjust the shims or have its equipment.

But yes, bikes = Japanese [Please don't pounce on me, these are my opinion]

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2018 at 07:40. Reason: Typo fixed as requested
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 10:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Man, I just can't agree more. Appears, I wrote this post

I rode the CBR-250R for few years, got bored, sold it off and got an air-cooled 250 Yamaha as I just couldn't connect with a non-Jap. The only negative of this Honda was, handling [in comparison to my erstwhile R15 or even the FZ series of Yamahas] and braking [mine was a non-ABS]

Rest, it was perfect. I just might go ahead and get, save for horrible mechanics who don't even know how to adjust the shims or have its equipment.

But yes, bikes = Japanese [Please don't pounce on me, these are my opinion]
I am enjoying the CBR250R right now as it is showing me what a proper bike actually feels like. My Apache's shortcomings are blatantly apparent now after I started using both these bikes back to back.

One undeniably irritating part of owning the CBR is servicing it. I just returned back from the service centre after patiently waiting in the que behind 4 Activas and 3 Dios To replace the front cone-set bearings, they need 2 days - just because of the sheer volumes of the scooters that keeps pouring in for service. I quietly went to the spares section, bought the required genuine spares and came back home, will now have to go to FNG garage to get the work done

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2018 at 08:57. Reason: Quoted post edited
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 10:50   #13
BHPian

At least Bajaj and KTM have separate service bays for their premium products.
I too considered buying a CBR 250 R about 4 years ago but the service was bad even then. Honda's "take it or leave it" attitude is really off-putting when you have to spend 2 lakhs plus.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 13:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
At least Bajaj and KTM have separate service bays for their premium products.
I too considered buying a CBR 250 R about 4 years ago but the service was bad even then. Honda's "take it or leave it" attitude is really off-putting when you have to spend 2 lakhs plus.
Very true, Honda really needs to work on their premium products division. CBR is tucked in the corner of the showroom, with no interest from the salesmen towards selling them, no test rides bike available too. I wonder how's the spare parts availability with such a stepmotherly treatment shown to their premium offerings
Old 25th March 2018, 23:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
CBR 250: 250 cc - 26.5 PS - 22.9 Nm - 135 kmph - 1.66 lac (Non ABS)
Duke 250: 250 cc - 29.9 PS - 24 Nm - 131 kmph - 1.78 lac (No ABS!)
Are you sure of the top speed numbers?

I owned a cbr250r and the top speed I was able to achieve was substantially higher (though illegal and unsafe). Actually the 250r can cruise at the speed you have mentioned.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 25th March 2018 at 23:05.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed