Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2018, 09:00   #1
BHPian

The Suzuki GSX-S300?

Quote:
Design patent for the Haouje HJ300 leaked; bike likely to be sold as the Suzuki GSX-S300 in global markets.

Chinese motorcycle manufacturer Haojue has filed a design patent for a 300cc motorcycle called the HJ300. While the Haouje 300cc motorcycle will not have any relevance to us, what does concern us is the fact that Haouje is Suzuki’s partner in China.

Motorcycles like the GW250 (badged Inazuma in India) and the GSX-250R, are built by Haouje in Changzou, China. According to reports, the HJ300 is likely to be rebadged as the Suzuki GSX-S300 for global markets. The HJ300’s engine specifications haven’t been revealed, although it does appear similar in construction to that of the Suzuki GW250’s engine. It is, however, rumoured that this could be a 299cc, liquid-cooled, parallel twin motor with output figures of around 30-34hp and 25Nm of peak torque. The engine will be mated to a 6-speed transmission.

The patent drawings indicate a modern and aggressive design language for the upcoming Suzuki GSX-S300. The contemporary styling will come as a welcome relief to Suzuki fans, since the GW250 suffered from its dated styling (even for its time, if we may add). The new 300 features a petite and chiselled LED headlight which looks cool, while the chunky USD fork adds to its aggressive, street fighter stance.

Its sharp design language continues onto the fuel tank, as well as the tail section, making it look quite impressive (if not KTM-outrageous), on the whole. The instrument console is a fully-digital LCD unit and will feature a speedometer, tachometer, gear position indicator and the usual array of features and telltale lights. The cycle parts are also updated and it now gets an all-new frame (or a heavily revised one, at the very least) as well as an aluminium swingarm which replaces the steel box-section unit. The bike's braking hardware consists of discs at either end, and dual-channel ABS will be standard.

The new Suzuki GSX-S300 is likely to make its global debut at the 2018 INTERMOT show in Germany or the EICMA show in Italy, later this year. It is possible that the Suzuki GSX-S300 will come to India in 2019, as the demand for motorcycles between 200-400cc is growing. If Suzuki does see potential for our market, the GSX-S300 is likely to come in to India as a CKD import from China (where it will be produced) just as was the case with the Inazuma. This should result in a price tag between Rs 3-3.5 lakh and the GSX-S750 will compete against the likes the Benelli TNT 300i, Kawasaki Z250 and the upcoming BMW G 310 R. On performance terms, it will, of course, face fierce competition from the KTM 390 Duke, as well.
Original Link: https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...-emerge-407987

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-gsx..jpeg

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-gsx-s300-1.jpeg

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-gsx-s300-2.jpeg

Suzuki does not have any motorcycle in the 250cc-400cc while Honda and Yamaha have moved the game forward with the CBR250R and FZ/Fazer 25 respectively. The FZ25 is doing good sales numbers and the CBR250R still seems to be a viable option to many inspite of being a 7 year old model. It would be a good idea for Suzuki to disrupt this segment like they did with the Gixxer. Having previously gotten their hands burnt with the Inazuma, Suzuki must ensure that this motorcycle should be:

1. A single cylinder made in India
2. Should outperform both the FZ25 and the CBR250R.

Having finally tasted success with the Gixxer twins, I hope that this bike is not just a rumour like the Gixxer 250 and actually makes it to India.
Shumi_21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 09:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Suzuki GSX-S300?

I am losing count of the number of rumours for a 250-300cc bike from Suzuki. Single cylinder specifically for India, twin cylinder via CKD, India being the production hub for the twin cylinder bike, etc. But no concrete evidence of Suzuki India working on this front.

The bike pictured above looks a lot like a blend between the Honda Hornet and the Yamaha FZ25, and unless it brings in some strong USP it would be really difficult to compete with the terrific-VFM FZ25.
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 02:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be pointless to launch a bike at the high end of what is still the entry level segment in terms of engine displacement and performance, if it is going to be sold in India by assemble or import. Suzuki could however make a lasting impression and take the motorcycle segment in small step further if they focused on manufacturing this bike here. The 1-2 lac segment is the one which is really booming right now, not the 250-400cc class in general. Just like the Gixxer 150 did really well to eat into the 150cc fun commuter bike pie by adding fierce competition to the FZ16, this bike has all the right ingredients to wipe the floor with the FZ250 and all the other naked bikes in the displacement class even if launched at the higher end of the 1-2 lac ex-showroom price spectrum. It is upto Suzuki whether they capitalize on this opportunity or not.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 15:30   #4
BHPian

Suzuki cannot compete with its rivals in the commuter, mass market segment. The 150cc segment, where Suzuki has it's most successful products, has a lot of competition now, especially with the recent Apache 160 and X-Blade. So they can't rely on the Gixxer twins (and the Access scooter) to carry their sales numbers. It's imperative that they look towards the 250cc- 400cc segment to continue the momentum created by the Gixxer twins and give Gixxer owners (including me) something to upgrade to. Honda, Yamaha and now TVS have such options in the form of the CBR250R, the FZ25, the R3 and the Apache 310.

Ideally I would like to see a single cylinder engined 300cc motorcycle from Suzuki that is good for 30-35hp and 27-30nm of torque. The motorcycle should be manufcatured locally to keep the cost competitive. The Apache 310 would have a refined Japanese competitor that we expected from Honda, and it would also force Honda's hand with the CBR300R and the naked CB300R. Much like they were forced to bring in the Hornet and the X Blade to take on the Gixxer. Suzuki could even come up with a V-storm variant that could take on the Versys X300 and the BMW GS310. It's a question of how much initiative Suzuki is willing to take.

I understand what I have just said is based on hypothetical situations, but I want Suzuki to do well, especially because of the great experience with the Gixxer. I sure hope someone from Suzuki is reading this!
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 16:57   #5
BHPian

2019 Suzuki GSX-S300 spotted undisguised.

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180917035447_haojue-dr300.jpg
The headlight, brake and USD fork on the GSX-S300.

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180917035451_haojue-dr300-swingarm.jpg
The swingarm and rear tire on the GSX-S300.

Quote:
Back in April 2018, leaked patent images of Haojue’s HJ300 had surfaced. Now, pictures of the production-ready bike have leaked from what looks to be the assembly plant. The bike, as expected, features DR300 badging which will most likely be replaced by GSX-S300 ones for the international market.

The motorcycle is rumoured to be equipped with a 299cc, liquid-cooled, parallel-twin engine with output figures of around 30hp and 25Nm of peak torque while using a 6-speed transmission. The new images also reveal the same aggressive design language seen in the patent images as well as an upside-down fork, petal disc and aluminium swingarm. ABS equipment is also evident in the leaked images.
Link
Flyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 09:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The bike pictured above looks a lot like a blend between the Honda Hornet and the Yamaha FZ25, and unless it brings in some strong USP it would be really difficult to compete with the terrific-VFM FZ25.
If a Inazuma based 300 cc "Twin" does duty on this model, I see this as a terrfic "naked" proposition (more than the Yamaha's International model the MT-03, which somehow fails to inspire me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Having previously gotten their hands burnt with the Inazuma, Suzuki must ensure that this motorcycle should be:

1. A single cylinder made in India
2. Should outperform both the FZ25 and the CBR250R.

Having finally tasted success with the Gixxer twins, I hope that this bike is not just a rumour like the Gixxer 250 and actually makes it to India.
I beg to differ. A single cylinder would mean development of an all new platform / engine.

The Inazuma engine is an absolute gem according to anyone who has ridden it. The failure of the Inazuma was its "what the hell is it?" styling. Get that gem of an twin engine on this good looking machine. If possible make it in India.

If its a Single cyliner, then I would rather prefer the Dominar.

Last edited by payeng : 18th September 2018 at 09:53.
Old 18th September 2018, 13:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

If localized heavily and ex-showroom price is just at or under 2 lacs, this ought to do very well IMO. That will make it the cheapest parallel twin bike in the country and what a parallel twin engine we are talking about! The buttery smoothness and waves of low-end torque from the Inazuma is not something one can easily forget if they ever get the chance to ride it. It will become the baap of all commuter bikes and probably do well to up Suzuki's perceived brand value in India
Old 18th September 2018, 13:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If localized heavily and ex-showroom price is just at or under 2 lacs, this ought to do very well IMO. That will make it the cheapest parallel twin bike in the country and what a parallel twin engine we are talking about!

The buttery smoothness and waves of low-end torque from the Inazuma is not something one can easily forget if they ever get the chance to ride it. It will become the baap of all commuter bikes and probably do well to up Suzuki's perceived brand value in India

So True.

But I fear that the failure of the Inazuma would most likely result in Suzuki India developing cold "corporate" feet. Not realizing that it was the odd ball styling that was the major reason for the failure of the Inazuma in India.

I would be even ok with a price tag of 2.5-3.0 Lakhs for a twin cylinder naked (for reference the Yamaha R3 costs above 3.5 lakhs in India).

Incidentally 2.5 Lakhs was the final price of the Inazuma when Suzuki India was trying to get rid of its unsold stock in India.

Last edited by payeng : 18th September 2018 at 13:14.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 17:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, the final clearance sale ex-showroom price of the Inazuma was 2.1L ex-showroom, which was 1L off from the initial launch price. Suzuki also reimbursed the difference to the existing Inazuma customers and retained their goodwill.

But since that price was to clear the stocks, it cannot be taken as a cost to work on a business case. However 2.5L ex-showroom is a good enough price to launch the GSX-250. But the biggest problem is that the dynamite Duke 390 sits right there in that price bracket with explosive power which will make the already weak output of the Suzuki 250 seem even more anemic. This is something that the refinement of the Suzuki twin cannot blow away.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 18th September 2018 at 17:31.
Old 18th September 2018, 17:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
However 2.5L ex-showroom is a good enough price to launch the GSX-250. But the biggest problem is that the dynamite Duke 390 sits right there in that price bracket with explosive power which will make the already weak output of the Suzuki 250 seem even more anemic.

This is something that the refinement of the Suzuki twin cannot blow away.
Different folks, different strokes I would say. The KTM 390 is indeed a pocket dynamite and attracts its own target customer. Its incredible VFM at the same time.

I would like to believe that just maniac acceleration and heart pumping performance and (on Paper) VFM alone doesn't sell bikes. Had that been the case, then KTM's would have sold many times over Royal Enfields.
Old 11th October 2018, 09:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Houje DR300 unveiled -

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-suzuki-gsxs300-red.jpg

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-suzuki-gsxs300-led-headlight.jpg

Source - https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...nveiled-410019

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th October 2018 at 09:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 10:05   #12
BHPian

Nothings looks out of place on this design but on the flip side nothing stands out too. Pretty meh overall, according to me.

The Autocar article also includes a link for a Gixxer 250 being planned. If it's true, as a Gixxer owner, I hope Suzuki isn't benchmarking the FZ25, as it would not be a substantial enough upgrade. They should ideally benchmark the TVS/BMW 310 engine. The design could have been better if it was inspired from the new Katana.

The Suzuki GSX-S300?-images.jpeg

The customary faired variant could be called the Gixxer 300 and we could even have a V-Strom 300! Given the fiasco around handling charges and arrogance of the competition in this segment, Suzuki should do well to take some initiative here.

While they are at it, they should use MSIL's huge service network to service Suzuki motorcycles too.

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 11th October 2018 at 10:14. Reason: Grammatical errors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks