Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2018, 21:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Which 125cc Automatic Scooter for my dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrazy View Post
So fire away your opinions, suggestions and advise.
Do ask your father to check out the TVS Zest too. I have recommended it before to others, and will do so again here.

It has a metal body, the same 110 cc engine and similar power/torque figures as the Wego and Jupiter, but is smaller and lighter than these 2 scooters. This makes it quite peppy and maneuverable, not to mention cheaper too.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th April 2018 at 21:13.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 20:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I own new Access 125, one year old. My experience is very positive. As described above, the biggest draw to this scooter is engine. Pulls like no other even when 2+1 on board. Seat is long with lot of under storage. Ride is not so accommodating for a solo rider. But improves with the load.
But before anything, my advise, it's a tall scooter. What is your dad's height? See if he can rest his feet comfortably when riding the scooter. Scooter is light which helps.

We also have old Access, which is 6 years old, no complaints so far with trouble free rides. Running is low.

Access was always 125cc scooter. Hope this helps.
Dad is 5ft 5inches, so I assume any scooter would be fine? Thanks for recommending access 125 based on your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I have been test riding recently. Of the lot, I found the TVS Jupiter to be good. The ride is good, decent build quality and ergonomic.
As I said TVS are not very common in Bombay, sourcing spares will be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
True on both counts. But if the person can focus on ride comfort even during those short rides, it can actually help. You would also need to take 2-3 rides as you start eliminating the short-listed models.

For short-listing itself, what you can do is - check with fellow members what their dads ride. The suggestions on this page are mostly from the members who are mostly young - quite younger than your dad.

Again, from my own experience - I may rip to the ton and then even search for the 6th gear on my Storme, but on the Dio - I putter around at 20,25 - may be 30 kph. What your dad would like can be different from all that fellow members may be liking in their scooters.
Agree, but dad uses it for chores to bet fro. A to B. The scooter needs reliability, serviceability and spare availability above all else

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
My dad has a 2008 model Access 125, with 65k on the odo. There hasn't been any major repairs till date apart from the normal wear and tear. It still gives 45-50 kmpl.

Regarding the service and spares, it was never a problem in our city. The scooter is serviced by his trusted mechanic, just opposite to the Suzuki showroom .

I had my share of ride on this scooter and I like the way it pulls. Solo ride is a bit stiif, while with pillion it is average. Hope this helps.
Where are you based? I think Suzuki spares should not be problem in Bombay as I have seen many Access 125s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I think TVS Jupiter and Hero Maestro are the best options. All these mopeds are identically same as far as dimensions and other technical specifications are concerned. Apart from technical specifications and features, your father will get used to this vehicle within one day.

We have a TV Jupiter in the family. I ride it sometimes. I find it an excellent package. It is a well-built moped. The seat is big and comfortable. The engine is smooth and responsive, breaks are good. FE is good. The storage compartment under the seat is quite big, footwell (what do they call it in a moped?) have plenty of space
Thanks. But I am finding it difficult to go for TVS unless someone fro. Bombay can vouch about its spares availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Access 125 is good with little to no engine braking. Good boot/leg space and nice long flat seat.

If your dad is using an Activa for a decade, why not the Activa 125?
Yes Activa 125 and Access 125 are front runners. Is Active 125 metal bodied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think you are over engineering the problem. You have almost all the scooters in the market as your probables

Shortlist a couple and then evaluate objectively. I have an Access and its definitely a fill it, shut it, forget it vehicle. The kind I like as beater. I understand Activa is similar but volumes at service centers create a poor experience.
I think I have been in clear in showing my preferences. Access 125 is frontrunner along with Active. I agree about our view about Honda service e due to volumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Do ask your father to check out the TVS Zest too. I have recommended it before to others, and will do so again here.

It has a metal body, the same 110 cc engine and similar power/torque figures as the Wego and Jupiter, but is smaller and lighter than these 2 scooters. This makes it quite peppy and maneuverable, not to mention cheaper too.

Cheers,
Vikram
Apart from the spare parts issue Zest is only 110 cc, but surely did not know it has a metal body.

Can someone list down all metal bodies scooters along with their cc?

I think dad will prefer metal body over specs!

Also anyone from South Bombay with Access 125 or Active 125? Your views?

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2018 at 10:49. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 15th April 2018, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Where are you based? I think Suzuki spares should not be problem in Bombay as I have seen many Access 125s

Calicut, Kerala.

Since the vehicle is still in production even after 10+ years of its introduction, I think spare part availability will not be a problem at all.
Old 15th April 2018, 21:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the spare parts issue Zest is only 110 cc, but surely did not know it has a metal body.
What spare parts issue are you talking about? Based on facts or just speculation? I've owned a Wego for 3 years and an Apache for 5, and have faced a total of ZERO issues w.r.t spares availability.

110 cc on a scooter of Zest's size and weight = 125 cc on Access/Jupiter/Activa.
Old 15th April 2018, 21:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
What spare parts issue are you talking about? Based on facts or just speculation? I've owned a Wego for 3 years and an Apache for 5, and have faced a total of ZERO issues w.r.t spares availability.

110 cc on a scooter of Zest's size and weight = 125 cc on Access/Jupiter/Activa.
Okay for those who disagree and don't live in South Bombay, I am not here to debate with you'll. I am basing it on facts, that TVS does not have sales or service in South Bombay consequently their sales are miniscule and hence spares are not available freely.

Do you have any power to weight ratios for zest 110 vs another 125cc scooter to substantiate your claim?
Old 15th April 2018, 22:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Dad is 5ft 5inches, so I assume any scooter would be fine? Thanks for recommending access 125 based on your experience.

Yes Activa 125 and Access 125 are front runners. Is Active 125 metal bodied?
Yes, should be fine for his height. FYI, Yamaha Ray has the lowest seat height.
Activa 125 has the metal body. But it's heavy compared to Access. Won't recommend it for your parents. If i am not wrong, Activa 125 is developed from Activa 110 engine block. IMO, it doesn't pull as clean as Access.

I won't recommend Zest as suggested by someone. I found it gruff despite having same engine as that of Jupiter's. Also it's a small scooter, will be cramped for two full grown adults.

You can have a look at Suzuki Lets - very underrated scooter. It comes with Suzuki's very refined 110cc mill. Power and torque figures are very similar to Access and is lighter than Access. But it's a flop scooter. Won't make sense unless you have a reason to reject Access.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 22:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Yes, should be fine for his height. FYI, Yamaha Ray has the lowest seat height.
Activa 125 has the metal body. But it's heavy compared to Access. Won't recommend it for your parents. If i am not wrong, Activa 125 is developed from Activa 110 engine block. IMO, it doesn't pull as clean as Access.

I won't recommend Zest as suggested by someone. I found it gruff despite having same engine as that of Jupiter's. Also it's a small scooter, will be cramped for two full grown adults.

You can have a look at Suzuki Lets - very underrated scooter. It comes with Suzuki's very refined 110cc mill. Power and torque figures are very similar to Access and is lighter than Access. But it's a flop scooter. Won't make sense unless you have a reason to reject Access.
Thanks, good sound advice. Yes I would rather not try the Let's, Access or Active 125 are current forerunners
Old 16th April 2018, 13:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 125cc Automatic Scooter for my dad?

Honda Activa and Suzuki Access - both of them should serve your purpose.

Please ask your dad to have a TD of these two and see his comfort in terms of handling, ride and siting position.

Both scooters are fairly easy to ride and almost fuss free except normal wear and tear. Activa can be serviced @ your FNG as it has become another Maruti 800 / Alto for its love by masses.

The body of Activa is rugged and it weighs more compared to Suzuki. I have heard only positives and positives about these two machines in the market.

None of them should displease you, if you just wish to pick one without much of TDs.

Happy buying !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 13:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Honda Activa and Suzuki Access - both of them should serve your purpose.

Please ask your dad to have a TD of these two and see his comfort in terms of handling, ride and siting position.

Both scooters are fairly easy to ride and almost fuss free except normal wear and tear. Activa can be serviced @ your FNG as it has become another Maruti 800 / Alto for its love by masses.

The body of Activa is rugged and it weighs more compared to Suzuki. I have heard only positives and positives about these two machines in the market.

None of them should displease you, if you just wish to pick one without much of TDs.

Happy buying !
Thanks - yes will request dad to look at both and choose the one he feels comfortable with.
Old 16th April 2018, 14:32   #25
BHPian

Looking at your overall requirement, may I ask if the 125 cc requirement is important at all ? Beyond the 2 weeks in a year that you may ride it

Why not go for a repeat with Activa 4G / 5G instead ? My own experience with Activa so far is that it should be more than enough to comfortably pull with a pillion, and will be super simple to maintain as well.

As you also considered the equivalent from Hero stables, let me share that whenever my Activa needs part replacements, more than half the time my trusted spares shop hands me the one from Hero (not Honda) ! Why ? Price and availability.

On the subject of service, the less said the better about the official service. My scooter sees quite a high daily running, so I intended to stick with official service (only for the warranty aspect). However a few months into ownership when I saw that there was no inherent issue with the machine, I just dumped the official service and went to the local mechanic.
//HB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 14:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HB View Post
Looking at your overall requirement, may I ask if the 125 cc requirement is important at all ? Beyond the 2 weeks in a year that you may ride it

Why not go for a repeat with Activa 4G / 5G instead ? My own experience with Activa so far is that it should be more than enough to comfortably pull with a pillion, and will be super simple to maintain as well.

As you also considered the equivalent from Hero stables, let me share that whenever my Activa needs part replacements, more than half the time my trusted spares shop hands me the one from Hero (not Honda) ! Why ? Price and availability.

On the subject of service, the less said the better about the official service. My scooter sees quite a high daily running, so I intended to stick with official service (only for the warranty aspect). However a few months into ownership when I saw that there was no inherent issue with the machine, I just dumped the official service and went to the local mechanic.
Thanks for your view point. You have made me rethink the 125cc requirement - my dad will go with safe - so Activa 4G/5G is a distinct possibility - also it is a full metal body - so definitely not ruling Activa 4G/5G out.

Your experience of spare parts is interesting - however with Hero or TVS my niggling perception is - longevity of engine and transmission - with Honda (even more than Suzuki) - the engine and transmission have the assurance of the legendary Honda Engineering.

So thanks again for your advise/ opinion.

Keep them coming folks - people have provided very valuable feedback.
autocrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 15:58   #27
BHPian

Another Activa 125 user. Have been using it for last 1.5 years and the experience has been mostly niggle free. Only did 1st month and 1st year services. Has run 8k KM so far and due for another oil change.

For negatives, as long as your dad is riding it < 70kmph it's going to be butter smooth post which vibrations show up. Suspension is not really great and the bad roads can be felt at your back. Mileage is decent but not great (~40-45kmpl for me). Pulling power from stop lights is good enough for me, only light weight solo Dio riders pull off faster than me.
Yieldway17 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 16:01   #28
BHPian

Suzuki Access would be the best choice. I have been using one for a year and am pretty satisfied overall. I have had Activas before and even though they were good their ride quality & suspension wasn't as efficient

I personally don't see the need for a metal body on this scooter as the metal skin isn't a structural part of the scooter so both ( plastic/ metal panels) would break/ deform and provide no additional protection in case of any unfortunate accidents. It's just a mindset that a metal body means better safety ! I would rather have better suspension (Suzuki Access), neutral handling and disc brakes than a metal body on my scooter.

Besides, Suzuki service currently is much better than what Honda offers. The fuel efficiency of the Access 125 should be around 40-45kmpl at normal city speeds with some spirited riding ( not exceeding 70kmph)
It's smoother than the Activa 125/ 4G and definitely gives a better ride quality. My father too has been using the Access at times and his opinion is the same as above!

Last edited by Crankpin : 16th April 2018 at 16:09.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 16:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Another Activa 125 user. Have been using it for last 1.5 years and the experience has been mostly niggle free. Only did 1st month and 1st year services. Has run 8k KM so far and due for another oil change.

For negatives, as long as your dad is riding it < 70kmph it's going to be butter smooth post which vibrations show up. Suspension is not really great and the bad roads can be felt at your back. Mileage is decent but not great (~40-45kmpl for me). Pulling power from stop lights is good enough for me, only light weight solo Dio riders pull off faster than me.
Hi - Does Activa 125 have a full metal body similar to 4G/5G?
Old 16th April 2018, 16:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Suzuki Access would be the best choice. I have been using one for a year and am pretty satisfied overall. I have had Activas before and even though they were good their ride quality & suspension wasn't as efficient

I personally don't see the need for a metal body on this scooter as the metal skin isn't a structural part of the scooter so both ( plastic/ metal panels) would break/ deform and provide no additional protection in case of any unfortunate accidents. It's just a mindset that a metal body means better safety ! I would rather have better suspension (Suzuki Access), neutral handling and disc brakes than a metal body on my scooter.

Besides, Suzuki service currently is much better than what Honda offers. The fuel efficiency of the Access 125 should be around 40-45kmpl at normal city speeds with some spirited riding ( not exceeding 70kmph)
It's smoother than the Activa 125/ 4G and definitely gives a better ride quality. My father too has been using the Access at times and his opinion is the same as above!
Thanks for feedback on Access 125 - is it a full metal body?

The metal body is not accident protection - it is just that the scooter gets parked in a parking space between other two-wheelers and not everyone cares, so if its a metal body, the most it can have is a dent or scratch. A plastic part may face cracks, breakage or even dislocation - so that would need replacement

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks