Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2018, 16:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 125cc Automatic Scooter for my dad?

Why are you so keen on a metal body? If the scooter is to be subjected to a force that will break the fibre/plastic park, be sure that it will repeatedly dent the metal which will then suffer due to repeated banging and repainting. It is better to change the plastics once every few years and get an effectively new scooter (on the exterior)! A metal guard surrounding the scooter can save it from most of the 'banging' it will receive from neighbouring vehicles.

If you are so keen on metal, then I think only the Vespa 125/150 is now full metal body.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 17:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrazy View Post
Thanks for feedback on Access 125 - is it a full metal body?

The metal body is not accident protection - it is just that the scooter gets parked in a parking space between other two-wheelers and not everyone cares, so if its a metal body, the most it can have is a dent or scratch. A plastic part may face cracks, breakage or even dislocation - so that would need replacement
It doesn't have a metal body. But fixing a dent on a metal panel and re-painting it to match the rest of the body is almost as expensive as changing the part if it were plastic!
So, it really doesn't matter is what I am saying! My 1st gen older Activa's rear panel took almost 2-3k to re-paint after there were some scratches and minor dings. Comparatively, the Access rear panel ( all plastic) comes new for almost the same cost.
But Honestly, apart from metal or plastic, it's the ease and joy of riding the Access that sets it apart from others. It's very easy for ladies to ride as well as it seats lower and is significantly lighter than the Activas even if it looks bigger! Ask your Papa to test ride it and I'm sure he will love it :-)
Crankpin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 17:08   #33
BHPian

I think all scooters in the market right now are very similar, though there a few minor differences the top ones are at par with each other and provide a similar experience (not so with cars).

I asked a similar question a few months ago, you may want to read that thread, might be helpful for you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-commutes.html
Old 16th April 2018, 17:53   #34
BHPian

Check out the Honda Grazia. It will suit most of the requirements.
It is slightly firm on the ride part.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 18:30   #35
BHPian

I'm using a pre-owned Access 125 (2015 model) bought in 2016 when the odo was 6000 Km. Let me tell you, currently odo stands at 15000 km and it still rides the way it does when I bought it. Awesome pick up, decent mileage and bit stiff suspension if riding solo otherwise fine.
I have used Activa prior to that for a very long time and I found Access way better :
In pick up
Buttery Smooth Engine
Wider Seats
No Cold Start Issues. Just one click is Enough.
Almost similar Mileage.
Best part is I like the way it sounds.
Highh5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 18:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - Does Activa 125 have a full metal body similar to 4G/5G?
Honestly, I don't know. If you are asking about the body panels, the panels over the engine and below the seats are definitely not metallic, it's clearly a fiber body. The front part at the top is mostly fiber as well but the bottom part feels sturdy and wonder if it could be metallic or a metallic frame. I'm a bit on the heavier side and even when I ride solo, the scooter easily wobbles when nearing bigger vehicles at higher speeds.

My dad's Activa from 2008 is like a tank both in weight and how planted it is compared to my Activa 125.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 20:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@autocrazy - I suggest that your dad does a TD of the scooters to figure out the ergonomics first. We may pick up a scooter for it's specs & features, but if the seating is not as per his liking, then the specs / features wont really matter.
I echo his thoughts.

Also, why a 125 CC for your dad? Shouldn't weight and comfort take higher precedence? I often see women (office parking lot) struggling with their Activa and I wonder why not get a Scooty?
Full disclosure: I am not familiar with the current Scooter scene in India. As a matter of fact I have been thinking about getting a Navi (for errands, TB500 can be cumbersome at times).
Old 16th April 2018, 21:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
I think all scooters in the market right now are very similar, though there a few minor differences the top ones are at par with each other and provide a similar experience (not so with cars).

I asked a similar question a few months ago, you may want to read that thread, might be helpful for you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-commutes.html
Thanks for the link, what did you buy in the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
It doesn't have a metal body. But fixing a dent on a metal panel and re-painting it to match the rest of the body is almost as expensive as changing the part if it were plastic!
So, it really doesn't matter is what I am saying! My 1st gen older Activa's rear panel took almost 2-3k to re-paint after there were some scratches and minor dings. Comparatively, the Access rear panel ( all plastic) comes new for almost the same cost.
But Honestly, apart from metal or plastic, it's the ease and joy of riding the Access that sets it apart from others. It's very easy for ladies to ride as well as it seats lower and is significantly lighter than the Activas even if it looks bigger! Ask your Papa to test ride it and I'm sure he will love it :-)
You are assuming my dad is to keen to repair any dents or scratches - however if it broke, he would have no option, but to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
My dad's Activa from 2008 is like a tank both in weight and how planted it is compared to my Activa 125.
Now, that's what my dad likes too (thinking about it, me too!), I cannot explain this to those asking why metal body!

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid posting consecutively / submitting one post after another. Back to back posts are discouraged on the Forum. Use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post. Thank you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th April 2018 at 15:35.
Old 16th April 2018, 22:13   #39

I too own an Activa 125. The vehicle will complete 1 year two days later i.e 18th April 2018, my vehicle had some kind of problem with engine noise in the 2nd week of ownership itself, which made me visit the service center multiple times to get the issue resolved. I have followed the service manual and done all services of the scooter at Honda Authorized Service Center, and have had no complaints thereafter. One thing i would like to highlight is that the scooter requires atleast 8-9 kicks at the first start of the day. I have asked some local mechanics and honda service center guys too, but all said this was normal. The Build quality of the Activa 125 is good, and body is full metal barring the front Headlamp Cowl and Panel Below the Headlight Cowl on which number place is fitted. Ride quality is slightly stiffer than competition. Comfort for rider is slightly lower than the Pillion(that may be true for all scooters). However reading through multiple reviews and youtube videos, i got to know that TVS Jupiter comes with Gas Charged Rear Mono Shock and wheels on the TVS Jupiter are 12inch for both front as well as rear due to which it may have better comfort too. TVS Ntorq is another newer scooter on the list but it weighs 116kgs which may be a problem. Take a test ride of some of the shortlisted scooters and decide accordingly.
rayvonnee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 09:36   #40
BHPian

Nowadays its quite difficult to choose a specific one given the number of products and models available!

In addition to your Dad's requirement, request you to consider following to short list a model.

1. Telescopic suspension in front to have better ride quality and good brakes.
2. Better Torque at lower rpm rather than high bhp, since the scooter will be used most in city.
3. Less sticker job - to suit the personality of user.
4. Ergonomics to suit the driving style - your Dad needs to test drive.
5. Comfort and cushion of seat.

In my opinion Suzuki Access 125 will fit most of your bills. However engine specs in paper are marginally better with Honda Activa 125.
Subby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 14:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queryanalyzer View Post
I echo his thoughts.

Also, why a 125 CC for your dad? Shouldn't weight and comfort take higher precedence? I often see women (office parking lot) struggling with their Activa and I wonder why not get a Scooty?
Full disclosure: I am not familiar with the current Scooter scene in India. As a matter of fact I have been thinking about getting a Navi (for errands, TB500 can be cumbersome at times).
With weight also comes a larger footprint, which means wider seats, better more powerful engine as well as better foot-well space. My dad does occasionally use the scooter 2 up so pick-up, comfort are important factors.

As for the perception of Scooty being light weight - its not! Scooty pep weighs 95 kg with a 90cc engine, half the torque of Suzuki Access 125. The Access 125 weighs only 102 kg - so for a 7kg difference it has a superior everything!

Last edited by autocrazy : 17th April 2018 at 14:26.
autocrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 15:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

I feel the most important criterion for your Dad should be comfort. Since he is used to the old Activa a couple of kilos more or less should not make any difference nor should the negligible power difference between 110 or 125 in this segment.

You should arrange for your Dad to take a test ride of the TVS Jupiter which is the most comfortable of the lot due to the gas charged rear shocks and 12 inch wheels/tyres.

Cheers
Old 17th April 2018, 15:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I feel the most important criterion for your Dad should be comfort. Since he is used to the old Activa a couple of kilos more or less should not make any difference nor should the negligible power difference between 110 or 125 in this segment.

You should arrange for your Dad to take a test ride of the TVS Jupiter which is the most comfortable of the lot due to the gas charged rear shocks and 12 inch wheels/tyres.

Cheers
The TVS Wego is good but doesn't offer any out-of-this-world benefits over the Suzuki Access 125. I have extensively ridden both and concluded that the Access was a better buy.
The Access did return better gas mileage (city cycle) too in spite of being slightly bigger in displacement. It also offers better storage under seat and on the footboard.

The real advantage of the Wego was that it has a fuel filler at the rear and one doesn't have to open up the seat to re-fuel!

Last edited by Crankpin : 17th April 2018 at 15:44.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 20:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi - Does Activa 125 have a full metal body similar to 4G/5G?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Honestly, I don't know. If you are asking about the body panels, the panels over the engine and below the seats are definitely not metallic, it's clearly a fiber body.
I checked this today in my Activa 125 after my reply yesterday and was surprised to find that the panels are actually metallic. But the sheet metal used is very thin compared to a previous gen Activa which was standing just beside. Also the front is metallic too except for the panel/area below the headlight. Nevertheless, I stand corrected.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 23:09   #45
bkc
BHPian

I have a 2018 Access 125 SE, its 5 months old and the ride is very very harsh and back breaking. I would recommend the scooter - minus the Hard rear Suspension.
The average was 40-42kmpl before service and now seems like the scooter's average dropped to 33-35kmpl.
The mileage issue can be rectified easily but, the suspension is very bad and behaves as if there is only spring without any damper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks