Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2018, 13:36   #16
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS

I hope the ABS available on the Himalayan can be switched off because given Indian conditions pulling the fuse every now and then seems inconvenient. If not for that they could've at least limited the ABS to single channel if not provide an off-road mode like KTM.

Since a good number of people are uninitiated as far as ABS goes I fear they might take this as a sign to use substandard rubbers.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 02:52   #17
BHPian

As you can see in the images there are no slotted rings or pulsar rings as they are called inner to the disc rotor. Hence these definitely do not have ABS. However i think it will soon be time for almost every bike to have some version of an ABS on their bikes. Single/Dual Channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The Classic comes with only a rear drum. To add Dual Channel ABS to it, would mean adding a rear disc, and then another sensor etc for the ABS.
Gunmetal Grey is the only 350 Classic which comes with a Rear Disc. All Classic 500 bikes come with Rear Discs. I think it's just a matter of time when all Classics would come with Rear Disc Brakes irrespective of being 350 or 500.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2018 at 09:52. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 27th August 2018, 20:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Gunmetal Grey is the only 350 Classic which comes with a Rear Disc. All Classic 500 bikes come with Rear Discs. I think it's just a matter of time when all Classics would come with Rear Disc Brakes irrespective of being 350 or 500.
Well, I took delivery of my Classic 350 Chestnut Red on 3rd of August. It comes equipped with a rear disc brake. Not only that, All colors in Classic 350 come equipped with rear disc except for black, which still comes with drum brake setup at rear.
TangoSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 09:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_sathaye View Post
You are right, a friend who is working in Royal Enfield confirmed that the company is in the process of moving all their motorcycles over to a rear disc set up. The next wave after that is the staggered shift to ABS.
Old 29th August 2018, 08:12   #20
BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS to be launched in India next month!
Source: Overdrive

They also speculate that price rise will be minimal.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 17:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS bookings open

According to a media report, a few Royal Enfield dealers have started taking bookings for the upcoming Himalayan ABS. While Royal Enfield is yet to formally announce the pricing, reports suggest that the prices could start at Rs. 1.78 lakh. The Himalayan Sleet ABS will reportedly cost Rs. 1.80 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS-himalayan.jpg

Apart from the addition of ABS, the new Himalayan is expected to be mechanically identical to the current model, which is powered by a 411cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine that produces 24.5 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and 32 Nm of torque @ 4,250 rpm and comes mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

Brakes come in the form of a single 300 mm disc with a 2-piston caliper at the front and a 240 mm disc at the rear with a single-piston caliper setup. Royal Enfield recently launched the Classic Signals 350 with dual-channel ABS.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 20:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS bookings open

According to a media report, a few Royal Enfield dealers have started taking bookings for the upcoming Himalayan ABS. While Royal Enfield is yet to formally announce the pricing, reports suggest that the prices could start at Rs. 1.78 lakh. The Himalayan Sleet ABS will reportedly cost Rs. 1.80 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

I can confirm this is true. Went to RE dealer in Bangalore to check when they are expecting REH ABS and he said I could make a booking right then! While he was unsure of the actual price increase, he thought it'd be in 10-15k or thereabouts. The dealership is expecting the new lot of ABS-enabled REH to reach on Sep 1, so expect deliveries to start soon after. The SA also told me RE has stopped production of non-ABS REH, so there's going to be no choice of ABS vs non-ABS models (after they sell off existing inventory).
AbhiIyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 20:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.themobileindian.com/news...in-india-23547

Seems it is launched now, priced around 10-12K more.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 21:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Update from X BHP:

An X-BHP member has taken delivery of his Granite REH with ABS from a Royal Enfield dealer in Thane, Mumbai. He has posted photographs of the bike as well with ABS stickers on the front forks.

He booked the bike in early August and claims the dealer delivered a bike from the first lot to him.

He claims the bike feels "superior" than the previous version and the braking with dual channel ABS is much improved too. The ABS cannot be switched off though.

I have asked for the on road Mumbai price and clarifications on the above as well.

Will update as I receive more clarity on the machine.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 21:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Update from X BHP:

An X-BHP member has taken delivery of his Granite REH with ABS from a Royal Enfield dealer in Thane, Mumbai. He has posted photographs of the bike as well with ABS stickers on the front forks.

I have asked for the on road Mumbai price and clarifications on the above as well.

Will update as I receive more clarity on the machine.

Cheers

Thank you! Please keep this thread posted. I am planning to book the REH too and would like to wait till I get my hands on a Test Drive bike with ABS. I visited HSR motors in Bangalore today and the sales guy was least interested in having a conversation. Nevertheless I found out that they are expecting the new lot in 15-20 days and TD bike a week or two after that.
Old 11th September 2018, 08:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Entire line-up of RE motorcycles will have dual-channel ABS by end of this year. Source IAB.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 14:30   #27
BHPian

RE have launched the Classic 500 with ABS now.

Only the Stealth Black and Desert Storm get it though, but as expected all bikes will have the ABS which is really good news.
IMO this should have been introduced atleast about half a decade ago. The price however is Rs. 15000/- more with ABS version.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS-royalenfieldclassicstealthblack740px.jpg

Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS-royalenfielddesertstorm500.jpg

Last edited by The Great : 11th September 2018 at 14:35.
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 20:00   #28
BHPian

Is ABS as a technology and are the mechanical parts involved really worth the 10-15k premium that manufacturers charge customers? I'm amazed at how it is a value-add here but quite normal in other countries. Of course glad that from Apr 1, 2019 that's changing.
Old 11th September 2018, 20:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiIyengar View Post
Is ABS as a technology and are the mechanical parts involved really worth the 10-15k premium that manufacturers charge customers? I'm amazed at how it is a value-add here but quite normal in other countries. Of course glad that from Apr 1, 2019 that's changing.
I feel the 10-15K premium is definitely worth it. The cost of the mechanical parts may not add up but the cost of technology, design etc is something to be considered. I personally will not think twice before plonking the premium for the safety offered. Regret that ABS was not an option when I bought my Bonneville in 2015 though I have been lucky so far not to have felt the need for it.
Old 11th September 2018, 20:12   #30
BHPian

Oh I'm sure ABS is worth every penny. Sorry if my question was unclear - I was wondering if manufacturers should really hike the prices to provide the ABS add on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks