Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 18:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: March 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Bangalore dealership (One of their first three) just completed their first year of operations and celebrated the event with the delivery of their 100th motorcycle.
Just sharing my experience with the Bangalore dealership for whatever it is worth, YMMV. After the showroom had opened up, I had dropped into the showroom on the way back from a ride so I had my full riding gear. The showroom experience wasnt so great, the guy attending to me disappeared somewhere (I dont remember the exact reason now). However, a middle aged man and his family parked their Mercedes car outside the showroom (an A class maybe?) and the attitude shown by the sales guys to him was distinctly different from what I was receiving. To be fair to them, the sales guy did call me several times later on to try and get me to come take a test ride but after the first experience with them, I wasnt really keen on it.

Now compare that to Triumph Bangalore, where everyone walking in is treated with respect and courtesy.

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear about the S1000RR though. Most people seem to be waiting for the real generation change - expected by the end of this year. The current model is almost at the end of its life.
The BMW Cochin showroom guys have smartly followed an exchange policy so they got Triumph and Ducati owners to trade in their bikes and buy BMWs instead. Now I dont know how many exchanged their existing bikes only for the S1000RR but it was a smart strategy to get bikes out the showroom. The first 6 S1000RRs that they sold were all the higher spec ones and I know that they sold another two since then as well. Maybe more that I am unaware of.

Oh and they also have an S1000RR test ride bike which shows their investment in the Cochin market (which also appears to be a big BMW car market). In comparison, Honda doesnt have a Fireblade test ride bike across the country, much less Cochin. I doubt Suzuki and Yamaha have one either, I havent checked myself. Kawasaki Cochin has brought their 10R test ride bike down from Bangalore (its the same dealer in both cities) and are trying to grab back what was once their undisputed market share in Cochin. Interesting times ahead.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 20th April 2018 at 18:18.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 18:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Now compare that to Triumph Bangalore, where everyone walking in is treated with respect and courtesy.
Have heard that from multiple persons. Will be interesting to see how the 310 crowds are handled. Make or break situation.

Forget Triumph Bangalore, even the Harley showroom next door run by the same management is excellent in sales satisfaction. Was even better than Triumph, although Triumph guys itself are so friendly - Ive walked in there multiple times and never regretted the time spent. Can't say the same about their (Harley) service satisfaction though - which seems to be average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Oh and they also have an S1000RR test ride bike which shows their investment in the Cochin market
Excellent. I was told they also have a test ride S1000XR. Bangalore doesn't have one - and someone I know has been waiting a long time for it as an upgrade to his Versys 1000.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th April 2018 at 18:24.
Old 20th April 2018, 20:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some observations -

5. TVS Apache RR310 sales finally pickup steam. It has outsold the KTM 390s and Yamaha's R3 - combined. . Hopefully the momentum is sustained over the long run.
6. Speaking of Yamaha R3 - Good show of 96 units this month considering the price range. Ninja 300 outsold it but that could mostly be temporary. CBR250R comes back on the charts with 80 units, behind these two.
Production is up and from May onwards the dealers are being allocated 30 bikes from the current 16. So expect the numbers to float around 1300-1500 mark.

Quote:
7. TVS NTorq 125 is off to a good start as well. 11500 units makes it the third highest selling scooter in their range, Well below Jupiter but only very slightly behind Pep+.
8. Splendor and Activa seems to be switching places every alternate month as the highest selling two wheeler.
Ntorq supply too is rationed for all reasons known to TVS. 2 new colors added with white deliveries being started. These numbers too will go up in the due course of time. Allocations have increased. But there is a good amount of order backlog for the dealers.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 23:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hero Motocorp performing very strongly even after exiting the JV with Honda.They are the Maruti of the two wheeler world! Everyone expected the customers to drop them and go with Honda, but that has not happened. And I think their Splendor is the top seller for more than two decades now, except a few months when the Honda Actva took the lead.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 00:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They are the Maruti of the two wheeler world!
Maruti before Swift came along perhaps. Certainly not the new age one - with multiple blockbusters across segments.

Hero is still selling products that got well established during its time with Honda. Splendor, Deluxe, Passion and Glamour account for a staggering 76% of their total sales. The remaining 10 model constitute only 24%. That might not necessarily sound bad - but also dont forget that they have withdrawn multiple flop models recently neither have shown any concrete improvement paths till date. Most of their new models and concepts were nothing short of a disaster - with the only exception perhaps being the Expulse 200.

So let's not compare with Maruti Suzuki just because of the fact that their old bread and butter models still continue to sell. The aggression shown by Maruti Suzuki is several times more - and they've conquered multiple new segments recently itself even with tough competition. Unlike Hero which still can't even sell a 150cc, let alone multiple segments.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 08:06   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They are the Maruti of the two wheeler world!
Quote:
So let's not compare with Maruti Suzuki....
@C_D,

I think Gansan meant that Hero MotorCorp is the Maruti of two wheelers in terms of sales numbers and position that it has been maintaining since long.

Yes, products that Hero sells are all old ones that were from the Joint Venture period.

Last edited by a4anurag : 21st April 2018 at 08:18.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 20:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

I meant their sales volumes. They have almost 50% of the market share and sold over 7 lakh bikes during March. Their revenues must be greater than some of the car manufacturers. My point was even after the divorce Honda India could not trump them. Though older, the Hero commuter bikes continue to outsell Honda bikes by a huge margin. Even now their fit and finish, spare parts cost and after market support can't be matched by Honda. I know of mechanics who buy CBZ parts at considerably less price for servicing Unicorns.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 22:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some observations -

9. Slowly but steadily, TVS is increasing the gap with Bajaj and is now very well placed as the 3rd biggest manufacturer in the country.
Have anyone noticed this as well??

TVS FY18 Q4 PROFIT: TVS Motor profit dips by 7% to Rs 127 crore in Q4

BAJAJ AUTO FY18 Q4 PROFIT: Bajaj Auto Q4 PAT seen up 38.7% YoY to Rs. 1,195.6 cr:

Quote:
5. TVS Apache RR310 sales finally pickup steam. It has outsold the KTM 390s and Yamaha's R3 - combined. . Hopefully the momentum is sustained over the long run.
Its just the THIRD Month of WHOLESALE (SIAM Numbers) for the 310 RR.. the initial 6/9 months for any new launch are all WHOLESALE HYPE

the real picture would emerge only after a year.

Last edited by payeng : 22nd April 2018 at 22:25.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 00:18   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Have anyone noticed this as well??

TVS FY18 Q4 PROFIT: TVS Motor profit dips by 7% to Rs 127 crore in Q4
But have you noticed that the link you provided for TVS is from Q4 2017, not '18?

That said - Yes, Bajaj is making more profits for sure - and a look at the annual reports reveal huge profits from exports (specially KTM) and from the two wheeler division as well. Kudos to Bajaj for that.

However, that really doesn't counter nor negate the fact the Bajaj has really gone stagnant in sales for the past couple of years whereas TVS has been slowly and steadily climbing the ladder. We are speaking only two wheelers here, that too specifically sold only in the Indian market.
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But have you noticed that the link you provided for TVS is from Q4 2017, not '18?
Opps ... mistake

Quote:
That said - Yes, Bajaj is making more profits for sure - and a look at the annual reports reveal huge profits from exports (specially KTM) and from the two wheeler division as well. Kudos to Bajaj for that.

However, that really doesn't counter nor negate the fact the Bajaj has really gone stagnant in sales for the past couple of years whereas TVS has been slowly and steadily climbing the ladder. We are speaking only two wheelers here, that too specifically sold only in the Indian market.
Another reason for TVS numbers is the XL100 Moped (Top selling model for TVS) of TVS which generates significant numbers every month. In March 2018 itself the Moped sold around 78K units also the Jupiter (65K in March) has stuck gold for TVS.

Apart from TVS:

Royal Enfield Classic 350: 50K Vs Bajaj Pulsar 150: 32K

i.e a Rs. 140K model outselling a Rs. 75K one.. doesn't really add up. Needs some soul searching from Bajaj.

Last edited by payeng : 23rd April 2018 at 10:20.
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Bajaj should get an award for most confused two-wheeler manufacturer. Products are launched and discontinued on the fly. Pulsars have lost their sheen, Dominars only seem to be making their own mockery through stupid ads and other models are just lost among themselves.

I wouldn't bet much on this. I am guessing Triumph partnership will result in product slotting above KTMs price-wise, where it is unrealistic to expect more than 1000 sales per month.
In comparison to Bajaj, TVS has gone two steps above with RR310. Bajaj meanwhile is trying increase their profit by adding partnerships. KTM worked well for them, thanks to the Duke/RC but I want to see how it goes with Triumph. My guess is similar to the yours in case of Triumph.

I am surprised that pulsar is still selling 32k.
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

https://www.motoroids.com/news/deale...-by-inr-60000/

Explains the surge in the N300 sales? Guess March is anyways a month when discounts are pretty high so it will be interesting to see the numbers for April.
Old 24th April 2018, 14:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Royal Enfield Classic 350: 50K Vs Bajaj Pulsar 150: 32K

i.e a Rs. 140K model outselling a Rs. 75K one.. doesn't really add up. Needs some soul searching from Bajaj.
More than RE 350, I think the Apache series is hurting Pulsar series if you compare the bikes and their respective price points. The Apaches, 160/180/200, have been selling close to 35K-40K units from the levels of 20K-25K units about an year or two ago. Compare that with Pulsar, where the 150 has been just about holding up with around 30K-35K units every month. Only saving grace for the Pulsar series is the 220 which is consistently selling approx. 8,000 units which is indeed commendable.
Old 24th April 2018, 19:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
More than RE 350, I think the Apache series is hurting Pulsar series if you compare the bikes and their respective price points. The Apaches, 160/180/200, have been selling close to 35K-40K units from the levels of 20K-25K units about an year or two ago.

Compare that with Pulsar, where the 150 has been just about holding up with around 30K-35K units every month. Only saving grace for the Pulsar series is the 220 which is consistently selling approx. 8,000 units which is indeed commendable.
True the Pulsars have been nearly flat for the last year whereas the Apaches have shown a definite increase.
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Model Level Sales with M-o-M Historical Details

[center]Attachment 1753179
Avenger 180, which has been launched recently to replace Avenger 150, has been missed in the Bajaj sales sheet. It has sold 5,727 units in the month of March 2018.

Most Viewed