Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 10:57   #1
BHPian

Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k!

Royal Indian Bolt 100cc

Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k!-a100ccroyalenfieldthecopycatroyalindianbikelookslikeapoormanbullet740x50011525778487.jpg

A Bhubaneshwar based bike builder, Royal Udo is manufacturing this bike. It is a smaller version of the original Bullet. There are many copied elements from the Royal Enfield like the rubber guard on the fuel tank, the wire spoke wheels and the headlamp, the seat, the design of the battery box cover, etc.,

It has a 100cc engine with a deep sounding exhaust note. This bike is aimed at people that cannot afford the actual bike and will retail between ₹60k - ₹70k.

SOURCE

Will this company not get sued by Royal Enfield?

Last edited by Shanksta : 9th May 2018 at 10:59.
Shanksta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 11:07   #2
kkg
BHPian

re: Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k!

And exactly like a bullet, damn hard to start with the kick.

Nevertheless, very good imitation but i don't think it is road legal or can be legally produced and registered.
kkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 12:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Royal Indian Bolt 100cc

Will this company not get sued by Royal Enfield?
Royal Enfield might think about suing this "company", if it ever were to produce it from a line, homologate it and setup dealerships to sell it formally.

But right now this is just a workshop doing some chop-job, and for this the local police would do the needful once it attracts enough attention - which it unfortunately, already is!
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 12:54   #4
BHPian

Royal Indian Bolt 100cc[/u][/b]

On Closer look it says "BLOT 100"
BopsKA12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 13:07   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Royal Enfield can indeed sue them for using the name "Royal" on their motorcycle. I believe they own the copyright or whatever for the same and hence Yamaha was not allowed to use the "Royal Star" name for their 150cc cruiser which was later changed to Enticer.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Royal Enfield can indeed sue them for using the name "Royal" on their motorcycle. I believe they own the copyright or whatever for the same and hence Yamaha was not allowed to use the "Royal Star" name for their 150cc cruiser which was later changed to Enticer.
That sounds a little absurd to me. How can they stop someone with a similar name? I don't think Hyundai would win a case if it tried suing other products that have Grand in their name, just because they have the trademark rights for the Grand i10 name - right?

I can understand if somebody tries to fleece the brand name by naming their company or product as Royal Infield or Royel Infield. But why a product named Royal Star, that too from another reputed automaker?
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:44   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
That sounds a little absurd to me. How can they stop someone with a similar name? I don't think Hyundai would win a case if it tried suing other products that have Grand in their name, just because they have the trademark rights for the Grand i10 name - right?

I can understand if somebody tries to fleece the brand name by naming their company or product as Royal Infield or Royel Infield. But why a product named Royal Star, that too from another reputed automaker?
Definitely sounds absured and no idea what was the logic behind it. A similar issue where Honda objected to Kinetic Engineering using the name "City" for their project - Kinetic CityCar (Cars that havent seen the light of the day.).
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Royal Enfield can indeed sue them for using the name "Royal" on their motorcycle.
Wonder what stops them from suing Rajasthan Royals or Royal Stag for that matter.

On a serious (not)e, I think it would be absolutely hilarious to show up riding on this 'Royal' Indian to one of the Rider Mania events conducted by Royal Enfield. I'm imagining a scenario where Sid Lal is about to unveil the Interceptor 650 and a bunch of guys show up on these specimens, with at least 3 of them pulling wheelies.
Shumi_21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 17:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

Most big groups have a bunch of lawyers constantly keeping an eye on trademark filings. They can very well approach the authority and oppose the grant of a new trademark if it sounds similar, and is for a product/service in the same class as their original trademark. Final decision then rests with the judge. If he sees merit in the objection, he can deny grant of such a trademark.

If someone uses the name/similar sounding name without registering a trademark, the person/company owning the trademark can approach courts to prevent this.

In fact, if you search for trademarks in class 12 containing the word "Royal", the maximum applications have the status "objected", "opposed", "rejected". Only a handful have "registered". Most of them belong to Eicher motors.

Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k!-royal.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Wonder what stops them from suing Rajasthan Royals or Royal Stag for that matter.
The key difference is in the "class" of the trademark. Eicher owns "Royal Enfield" in class 12 (automobiles etc - details in the screenshot above). They are not bothered with anyone using this name on a CD or water bottle I guess. Not until 2025 at least when this trademark expires, and then they may file in additional classes.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 9th May 2018 at 17:15.
Dry Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 22:26   #10
BANNED

That's a CT100.

Wonder why anyone would buy the same with RE parts considering how inferior the quality is compared to Bajaj.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 09:33   #11
BHPian

Is it just me, or do I think that the mod job executed here is actually done really well. Maybe there is a case for such a class of motorcycles. Hero tried it with the cafe racer style, But maybe this retro roadster/Bullet Std. style could very well be a surprise niche market in the sub 125cc segment.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 10:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
That's a CT100.

Wonder why anyone would buy the same with RE parts considering how inferior the quality is compared to Bajaj.
Spot on.
It is indeed a CT100 which costs, about 40K?

Good thinking, actually. Buy a brand new CT100, do an after-market mod job for 10K (max?) to cash in on the popularity of Bullets, sell for a cool 20K profit. Even the Royal Enfield look-alike parts - I am sure are after-market ones with even worse quality.

To my eyes, a stock CT100 looks much more beautiful than this eye-sore. The way that exhaust has been hacked and welded up is just terrible.
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 13:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k!

Why bother with lawsuits really? Its never going to work! You can very well get a really good pre-owned Electra or TB350 for around 60k.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks