Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2018, 21:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: BMW to launch G 310 R, G 310 GS bikes in July 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Still hoping for under 4L OTR, fingers crossed for official figures.
Looks like our fears have come true.
This article from Overdrive seems to confirm the same.

Quote:
And now we at OVERDRIVE have learnt from a select BMW Motorrad India dealerships that the G 310 R and the G 310 GS are likely to be priced at Rs 3.5 lakh and Rs 4 lakh, ex-showroom respectively.
Gah! Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I just cannot think how BMW can price it beyond Duke in any form.
You and me both, brother. But not only have BMW priced the G310R higher than a lakh over the Duke 390, but also on par with the Yamaha R3!

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 7th June 2018 at 22:11. Reason: Grammar
Shumi_21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 09:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the baby GS finally being launched. Till now we are just brooding over the price, what about the maintenance cost. These bikes wont be serviced by TVS for sure. Considering the brand value, spares and service will definitely be expensive. I need to buy a motorcycle specifically for touring. Looks like I mite have settle down with the Himalayan after all, the new BS4 seems to be getting some good reviews.
Old 8th June 2018, 10:00   #33
BHPian

At such a premium to KTM, I wonder who would be their target customer. Apart from those who are die-hard fans of BMW brand and want BMW ownership experience. Talking about ownership, I am guessing servicing and spares cost will also be through the roof.

BMW might as well price this at 6 lakh. Will help them milk the handful of customers even more.
Old 8th June 2018, 11:21   #34
BHPian

I am not able to find the article from Autocar India where they said that BMW G310R will be in the same ballpark as KTM Duke 390. I think that BMW would not price it much higher than Duke 390 as it will really kill the kind of sale BMW is expecting.

I for one have been waiting for this bike since last two years. If they price it around 3.5L on the road in Bangalore, I will have to go ahead with Bajaj Dominar. Although, I wish they price it somewhat below Duke 390 or at least at par.
Old 8th June 2018, 11:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

If BMW was so keen to get numbers with this bike, they would have launched in India a year back, they are hardly interested to make numbers here it seems. The only reason i think they are launching it here is because of the sheer pressure on them, as these are being manufactured in India. They will definitely price it at a premium, and won't care too much if they don't sell too much.

Comparisons with Kawasaki and KTM is for us to make, for them i don't think it matters. They anyway don't have to worry about shipping and logistics. Surplus lot can always be sent abroad.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 12:03   #36
BHPian

India and China are the most lucrative market in terms of 2 wheelers. 2 wheeler companies abroad are struggling to make profits and for that reason want to have a pie in India's success story. For the same reason KTM, Harley etc are here and also manufacturing/assembling here.

Same goes with BMW and if they were not to care about India sales they would not have set up manufacturing in India but rather go to other cheaper countries. Also sharing technology with Indian manufacturer will be no brainer.

So if we believe in all these prices should be similar to KTM390. A little premium might be there just to balance their production-sales-services.
Anything too high will give them very few numbers which might not help them even manage the cost of their showrooms and staff. They won''t be doing so much investment for just 40-50 numbers a month.
dextor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 16:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

G310R is dead on arrival. May sell some if placed against Duke 250. In comparison the G310R design looks very dated. We saw initial pics of the bike when we were young.

G310 GS has scope mainly cos of its GS lineage (looks) and lack of options in light weight adv category. Himalayan does not even have ABS, forget unrefined engine and low on power. Versys 300X comes close but is priced close to er6n 650 twin. ALso, associated cost of service & spares & accessories are very high. Bike would be grounded for weeks if a fairing is broken, and with adv category, that is bound to happen. 310 GS would do well provided its priced sensibly.

Wonder why they have made this 310 platform launch in India such a hoolabaloo. launched the bike in milan 3 yrs back and are still feeling shy to reveal the price here. If you notice, both the bike in the booking poster is blackened, revealing little detail of the bike as if its a "nai naveli dulhan". Who officially starts booking without revealing the price? Anyone wanting to book would naturally want to know the end cost. Or are the so broke that they want to earn some interest off peoples 50k advance, for a couple of weeks.

I am in market for a light weight adv bike and have been eagerly waiting for this one. Most likely, after a positive test ride, i will book it as well even if its priced a bit high, not happily but cos of lack of options. But will surely have a closer look at the 300X if this bike is priced above 4. Am also wishing Hero should have launched the Xpulse now just to complicate things a bit.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 17:18   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Who officially starts booking without revealing the price?
Everyone.

Pre-booking is not even a trend anymore, it's the norm - probably adapted from the mobile phone industry. And at the launch - the companies brag about the confidence shown by the customers without even knowing the prices.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 06:48   #39
BHPian

Zack Courts from Motorcyclist Magazine did one of his office commutes in the G310 GS. This video gives his take on the bike in comparison to two major Japanese competitors.

rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 08:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
I for one have been waiting for this bike since last two years. If they price it around 3.5L on the road in Bangalore,
The GS being rumored to have a price range of Rs 4.5 Lakhs - 4.9 Lakhs OTR Pune. So you can expect the R version to carry that premium too over the competitiors.

I don't see that as a surprise as even Versys X-300 is priced similarly; infact above Rs 5 Lakhs OTR Pune.

Cheers,
Amey
Old 11th June 2018, 09:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
I don't see that as a surprise as even Versys X-300 is priced similarly; infact above Rs 5 Lakhs OTR Pune.

Cheers,
Amey
Yes, but dont you think the bike should be cheaper since the bike is being made and assembled in India?
Old 11th June 2018, 10:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Yes, but dont you think the bike should be cheaper since the bike is being made and assembled in India?
Yes the BMW 310's should be (much) more affordable. In fact, why only the BMW twins, ALL motorcycles should be cheaper than what they are selling for, especially the Street Triple

I had the same question a couple of months ago and it was answered by more knowledgeable Bhp-ians here. Post #67 onwards.

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 11th June 2018 at 10:40.
Old 11th June 2018, 11:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
It should! But being cheap is subjective! A 310 CC single cylinder presuming costs Rs 4 odd Lakhs isn't cheap when you compare it to the competitors.

Eg - N300 (with discount offered), R3 have a lot to offer than the 310 at a lower price.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 11:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The GS being rumored to have a price range of Rs 4.5 Lakhs - 4.9 Lakhs OTR Pune. So you can expect the R version to carry that premium too over the competitiors.
At 4.9, they definitely lost one customer for sure. :( Xpulse, where art thou?

Price comparison with 300V Internationally is OK but in India is not really justified. Versys is imported here, so much more tax to begin with, twin engine, comes with set of accessories like Aux lights, side pannier, knuckle guard, socket, etc. I think it even had a main stand, a very important feature for adventure crop of bikes. Wish BMW reveal the price and put an end to all the misery.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 12:28   #45
BHPian

I do not think these motorcycles would provide that value at that price tag. Also, I do not understand the need to price them at a premium when they are manufactured in this country. I would really love a quality motorcycle but then again be paying a premium for a brand logo and brand service is not really sane.

These are a low to mid segment commuter and not mind-blowing performers. That said, I would rather wait for their next iteration as it already seems old, don't know why! Treating India as a second child despite the motorcycle being produced here is a sad joke. I expect the service charges to also be at a premium along with the part pricing. As much as I would love to opt for these beauties, especially the GS, the so-called 'Premium' tag makes not sense in a value concerned market like India.

At the anticipated price tag, they are sure to lose their sales to much capable machines. Twin cylinder Japnese marvels and powerful motorcycles start at the asking price for these BMW machines. For someone like me, this is the first time in a long time when my wallet is confused if I should get a good motorcycle or a small car. What a time!
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks