Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 12:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Rumour: BMW to launch G 310 R, G 310 GS bikes in July 2018

For pricing a vehicle companies will not just work on the cost figures arbitrarily. The best I can guess is (experts can comment if I am wrong) -
Total cost = Inputs cost(Manufacture + R&D) + Brand cost + Company standard profit margin + Taxes.

Companies can only play with the profit margins but based on their standard rules. All of a sudden for one product this factor will not change by leaps & bounds.

And to decide on the profit margin, BMW will have thought of sales numbers they want to achieve. Below are the current sales figures(approx.) and Bangalore on-road prices of similar range bikes

TVS RR310 - 900 - 2.75L
KTM 390 - 800 - 3L
Yamaha R3 - 90 - 4.25L
Ninja 300 - 115 - 4.5L

BMW cannot match the numbers of RR310 & KTM 390 but I believe they would want to be more than R3 & N300. Also R3 & N300 are not manufactured in India there by increasing the overall cost.

From that aspects I think prices on-road should be between 3 & 3.5L.
dextor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 13:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
From that aspects I think prices on-road should be between 3 & 3.5L.
And that is what most have anticipated and are aligned with. about 50 to 75K more than RR310 would keep the customers happy (essentially similar engine). I also have a feeling that they may start with an introductory price and may jack it up a bit later. Thats how the trend has been.

By commuter standards, these are still premium and aspirational motorcycles, so looking for a great value deal may not apply. Also folks intending to spend 3-4L on a bike, would be financially well-off and would most likely have a car (atleast mid sized), so the thought of whether to spend on bike or get a small car for the same price may also not apply - in general.

But mention of 4.9L OTR is really jaw-dropping. Its alomst like kawasaki Z900RS pricing, a great motorcycle, but is sold only one piece in India so far.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 19:40   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
G310R is dead on arrival.

G310 GS has scope mainly cos of its GS lineage (looks) and lack of options in light weight adv category.
Looks like KTM wanted to spoil the 310GS launch party with this announcement, and IMO - they might even succeed.

The 390 Adventure now confirmed for 2019.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/c...india-in-2019/

Overprice the GS at your own risk now, BMW!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 12:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like KTM wanted to spoil the 310GS launch party with this announcement, and IMO - they might even succeed.
I hate these Guys so so much. Had been waiting for eternity for the 390 adv and had given-up. Mind was set on baby GS and now the news of 390 adv comes to spoil the party not just for BMW but for folks planning to get the GS too.

To wait for 390 adv, or get the 310gs?? Price and test ride feel-factor would be the decider. 390 adv, even if its launched next year, would be likely towards the end. Thats 1.5+ years away which is too long for me, as i need a light weight bike soon. Riding my Versys 50 kms daily in Bangalore traffic and esp in monsoon is no easy feat. If GS is priced sensibly, get it, ride it for couple of years and if 390adv comes out really better, trade the gs for the 390. Yes, i think that works.
PS: The good part is that 390 ADV announcement may reality check the BMW to reconsider the price if they had anything super premium in mind.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 15th June 2018 at 12:15.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 23:03   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I hate these Guys so so much. Had been waiting for eternity for the 390 adv and had given-up. Mind was set on baby GS and now the news of 390 adv comes to spoil the party not just for BMW but for folks planning to get the GS too.

To wait for 390 adv, or get the 310gs?? Price and test ride feel-factor would be the decider. 390 adv, even if its launched next year, would be likely towards the end. Thats 1.5+ years away which is too long for me, as i need a light weight bike soon. Riding my Versys 50 kms daily in Bangalore traffic and esp in monsoon is no easy feat. If GS is priced sensibly, get it, ride it for couple of years and if 390adv comes out really better, trade the gs for the 390. Yes, i think that works.
PS: The good part is that 390 ADV announcement may reality check the BMW to reconsider the price if they had anything super premium in mind.
Alternatively they can still launch it at a price they wish to, as there is no direct competition and revise prices few months before ADV launch, if I was bmw I would not be too worried.
Old 16th June 2018, 23:50   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
revise prices few months before ADV launch
That's not something brands would like to do. Terribly destroys the brand image as it clearly shows they are worried about the competition.

Unless ofcourse they can find some cliched excuses like increased localization (not applicable here) etc.
Old 16th June 2018, 23:58   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's not something brands would like to do. Terribly destroys the brand image as it clearly shows they are worried about the competition.

Unless ofcourse they can find some cliched excuses like increased localization (not applicable here) etc.
This is India, don't think anyone cares. Would be great if they can price it sensibly, but then we all know how it is with them. That said everyone in India, including our forums think that bmw has a better brand value.

Also personally if ADV looks like what they have showed in the presser, BMW looks much better too, IMO.

I am anyway not in market for any of them, but I just don't think BMW is bothered, happy to be proven wrong.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 00:54   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Also personally if ADV looks like what they have showed in the presser, BMW looks much better too, IMO.
It's the 1290 Adventure in the presser, but you're right. None of the KTM adventure bikes look any better than purposeful - even appearing ugly to most. I don't expect the 390 to break that trend either.
Old 17th June 2018, 09:23   #54
BHPian

Looks like the market is going to get tougher for these bikes. Here are some news related to Kawasaki Ninja 300:
https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...-lakh/1208485/

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...isation-408706
driverabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 10:55   #55
Team-BHP Support

An interesting international comparo because it compares the GS310 with the Versys X300, along with our own RE Himalayan -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 13:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
An interesting international comparo because it compares the GS310 with the Versys X300, along with our own RE Himalayan -
4:22 was a heart in mouth moment BMW it was if I am not mistaken, rider did well to control it.

Nice comparison, surprised to see Himalayan getting good accolades, missing part is the ABS. Clearly Versys X300 stands ahead of the rest.

Regards,
-Badri
Old 19th June 2018, 17:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice comparison, surprised to see Himalayan getting good accolades, missing part is the ABS. Clearly Versys X300 stands ahead of the rest.
Yup! Almost all the international comparisons puts the 300X ahead of the baby GS. Wonder why would one choose the baby GS over the 300X esp as they are priced similarly abroad. In India, if there is not big price advantage, dont see much going in favour of baby GS. Dont even have many sales outlet with limited BMW coverage, service & spares wont be that cheap either compared to kawi. As of today, kawasaki has more outlets across India then BMW motarrd. Calls for a thorough test ride of both before picking one.
Old 19th June 2018, 19:11   #58
BHPian

Out of curiosity , is there one single technical/practical reason to choose this motorcycle over a duke 390 asides from the imposter BMW badge on the tank ? The rumored on road price , if true , is ridiculously high for a 300 cc motorcycle . It doesn't even looks that good , reminds me of a suzuki gixxer which I find more aesthetically pleasing .

Last edited by basuroy : 19th June 2018 at 19:15.
Old 20th June 2018, 12:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity , is there one single technical/practical reason to choose this motorcycle over a duke 390 asides from the imposter BMW badge on the tank ? The rumored on road price , if true , is ridiculously high for a 300 cc motorcycle . It doesn't even looks that good , reminds me of a suzuki gixxer which I find more aesthetically pleasing
Plenty of perceived reasons in my personal opinion. I am adding 'perceived', as all the views are based on external reviews and no personal experience with the baby gs. I had first gen duke 390 and sold it after 36,000 kms. I did try and customize it to suit my requirement of a comfortable city bike which could double-up for weekend get-aways. Stuff like gel seat, Handle bar risers, mirror extenders, aux lights, luggage rack, custom windscreen, etc, and they did help but only a bit. Main issues i had with 390 was super stiff suspension setup (can feel all undulations which our roads are full of), hard seat, rear set footpegs, and an engine which needs to be revved to be enjoyed, so frequent gear shifts. Ofcourse, road biased tyres as 390 is designed for street. Going by the reviews, baby gs seems more suited as an everyday bike which can be used for comfortable touring, especially in our Indian conditions. It has better ergonomics, wider handlebar, upright posture, no-so-rear set pegs (for standing) and a comfortable seat. The engine is tuned for low and mid range performance, so less gear shifts and one need not keep the engine boiling, however can be done as the engine is equally rev-happy. The SUSPENSION and GC will be one big advantage over the 390. with 180mm travel on front and rear, and generous GC, our regular potholes will not jarr the bones anymore. small tit-bits like serrated pegs, presence of a large and sturdy luggage plate, dual sport tyres, etc all add to the purpose. Looks are subjective, some may like 390, some may find that too flashy and prefer the no-so-flashy looks of GS. I like the GS more, except for the engine area, as it resembles the legendary 1200gs. The duke 390 is a great bike and super value for money for the performance and equipment it brings but when it comes to a more comfortable and touring friendly everyday bike, the baby gs may have an edge. waiting waiting and waiting for the final price and test rides to begin.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 20th June 2018 at 12:28.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks