Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 17:37   #121
BHPian

Re: TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review

I'm facing the following issues on my BS4 TVS Ntorq (bought in March 2019):
1. Rear tyre keeps loosing pressure after every 2nd day.

2. The front frame vibrates a lot on potholes and doesn't inspire confidence.

3. When I turn on the engine, idle it for a minute or two and then engage the throttle the scooter doesn't accelerates and the engine gets killed. Runs normal after 3-4 attempts.

4. I feel some vibration (friction) under the footboard or maybe from the engine when I rev the engine. (Facing this problem after my first paid service recently, never faced this earlier)
The scooter has clocked 2k kms in 1.5 years since it's primarily used for errands.

I've told these issues to the guys at TVS ASC but they said they don't do tyre works at the ASC so showed it to 2 nearby mechanics and according to them nothing is wrong with the rear tyre.

They said that we've done the best we could about the frame vibrations but I know there's definitely some problem since there were no such problems when the scoot was new.

Problem No. 3 gets resolved after service but pops up again after few months.

Need your valuable advice fellow BHPians.

Does someone has any contact at TVS so I can escalate this matter?

The mechanics at the ASC are all young boys and are carefree and incompetent else these issues would have been resolved at the earliest.
MadAxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:29   #122
BHPian

Can some fellow Ntorq owner help me with the above mentioned issues?
Old 13th January 2021, 14:11   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAxe View Post
3. When I turn on the engine, idle it for a minute or two and then engage the throttle the scooter doesn't accelerates and the engine gets killed. Runs normal after 3-4 attempts.
Hi MadAxe,
I still have the same problem on my NTorq. I raised this issue to the TVS Service Engineer. They are yet to address this.

There should be a board in your Service Centre with the contact details of the TVS Service Engineer. Call / email him. Their response is good. However, resolution is another issue.

Next, the vibrations - If you feel the vibrations (shuddering) under say 20 km speed, this is an issue with the Clutch. Ask your ASC to replace the Clutch with the new version (6 holes). I did not see this part, so cannot comment on this further.

Hope I have been able to answer some of your doubts.
vmathews is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 20:44   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAxe View Post
I'm facing the following issues on my BS4 TVS Ntorq (bought in March 2019):

1. Rear tyre keeps loosing pressure after every 2nd day.
This has been the case from day 1. The TVS tyres somehow lose pressure, but does not go below 20 PSI

Quote:
2. The front frame vibrates a lot on potholes and doesn't inspire confidence.
I have not faced this issue.

Quote:
Blame the auto choke for this. When you start it the first time in the morning, wait for a few seconds till the idling settles down.

Quote:
4. I feel some vibration (friction) under the footboard or maybe from the engine when I rev the engine. (Facing this problem after my first paid service recently, never faced this earlier)

The scooter has clocked 2k kms in 1.5 years since it's primarily used for errands.
I have mentioned this in the initial posts, the build is not so great and a parts vibrate.

No point running behind the service center, they are not capable of fixing this.

I will post a detailed post which will document all the issues faced on my NTorq to date.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 14:01   #125
Team-BHP Support

NKrishnap. Thank you for such a detailed ownership thread. I somehow saw this only post purchase but this is really helpful. We just picked up a brand new red race edition N Torq for my wife. She’s still learning to ride and I hope she gets comfortable very soon. I actually started her with classes so she approaches the basics with a sound technical approach. (She drives cars comfortably for several years now and has occasionally ridden scootys about 12-13 years ago but never ridden since).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Plastics are flimsy no doubt about it. I will be fixing these soon.
Could you please clarify what exactly you did to fix this and whether it worked? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post

New addition to the family!
Attachment 1832859
What a garage. Love the pic of the Audi, Duke 390 and N Torq. Not too dissimilar from my own garage. A German car, a nice bike and now an N Torq. Mine are also parked in two back to back parkings. I still can’t help but turn and take a second look before walking to the lift.

Quote:
Got the Michelins for Jupiter in 90/90 R12 size. Huge difference in grip compared to the TVS tyres it originally had.
I am also planning to change to either the Michelins or the MRFs before the monsoons. Have heard that the OEM tyres aren’t great. Between the two any reasons for picking Michelin over MRF or vice versa? Any thoughts on this please?

Quote:
I had removed the fuel cap, realigned it and fixed it back. As strange as it may sound, the evaporation issue went away. Post that I have not observed any fuel loss as such.
This is really bizarre and a tad worrying / irritating. I never imagined this is a sort of issue one would have to contend with on any modern vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If TVS has an Achilles heel, it is their dealers.

Bharath TVS guys don't even greet the customer and are busy looking at their phones.
Strange. I had a similar experience. The dealer wasn’t discourteous or anything. They did provide whatever help I needed but even when I went for delivery they were quite matter of fact and the main chap was almost looking morose. I am used to sales persons generally drumming up a lot of energy when they are delivering a vehicle and this indifference and disinterest was quite a surreal experience. I even thanked the guys profusely for their timely assistance and delivering within the timelines they had assured but there was barely a reaction (like thank you / you’re welcome). He was just looking literally like he’s attending a funeral - he was the same while taking our booking as well. Not sure if this is typical of all scooter dealers - this is my first scooter buying experience in my life so not sure. But definitely weird feeling.

I am taking the liberty of posting a pic of my garage post the N Torq’s entry. Hope that’s ok. Really don’t compare to the numerous lovely pics you guys have put up on this thread. That’s my 3 GT at the back with the Tiger and N Torq bringing up the front.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review-4c0a08de97124b8cae47af8031d7ee09.jpeg  

Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 04:05   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Love the pic of the Audi, Duke 390 and N Torq. Not too dissimilar from my own garage.
Aw thanks. Yours is a lovely garage indeed and congrats on the new arrival! Though my garage seems to be changing every year The Duke has made way for the Multistrada and the Ntorq didn't work for the Mrs or me so we ended up replacing it with an Spresso. Still on the hunt for a city motorcycle, I've made peace with the fact that scooters aren't for me. I just can't ride with feet forward as it puts additional strain on my lower back and somehow I get wrist pain when braking.

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 1st February 2021 at 04:13.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 06:58   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
The Duke has made way for the Multistrada and the Ntorq didn't work for the Mrs or me so we ended up replacing it with an Spresso. Still on the hunt for a city motorcycle, I've made peace with the fact that scooters aren't for me..

Oh yes of course. I have read your white MTS thread - slipped my mind. Did not realise about the ntorq being sold though. I do hope my wife takes to the scooter and we dont end up in a similar boat. It is a bit of a punt for us too.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 23:18. Reason: As requested
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 12:02   #128
BHPian

Would someone here have an idea on how this can be fixed?

The lever is not resting away from the connector, it's resting towards it. This causes the scooter's brake light to always be on, which is risky.

di1in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 18:30   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

An update after a long long time.

A few issues were faced post the first lockdown and finally the issue got worse with poor mileage and clutch noise. There were two major repairs done

First major Repair

1. Bent forks and oil seals bust
2. Clutch noise
3. Auto Choke issue.
4. Cone set had issues.
5. Front disc has steps

Handed over the vehicle to the mechanic close by (reliable guy). Went ahead and changed a lot of parts relating to clutch and the trouble some auto-choke. Apart from this forks was completely reset with new oil seats and fork bend removed. Cone set was replaced with new one. The disc and brake pads were replaced with new ones.

All of these cost a good 14k odd including the labour for all the work.

Second Repair with in the few days of the first major repair

The oil pump failed and the crank shaft bearings and the con rod bearing starting making noise along with the bore kit seizure. Now again a whole set of parts were replaced.

1. New Bore kit,
2. New Packing kit
3. One way clutch
4. New crankshaft with the bearings (i did not want a removal of the engine again, so replaced it with a new one instead of resetting it
5. New Spark plug
6. Oil seals for valve stem replaced and the valve seating redone.

Cost a good 13K again including parts and labour. I would have saved about 1.5 to 1.8k if I had not replaced the crankshaft and just replaced the bearing. The child parts itself came up to 2k plus the lathe work charges would be extra.

Now the vehicle seems ok for the time being and it has 17300 kms on the odo. The NTorq has had oil pump failures around the 18k kms mark. I know atleast 3 other vehicles having the oil pump failure.

Considering all that that transpired in the last 3 months, would I buy a Ntorq again? A resounding NO. I would pick the Jupiter over the NTorq any day as it is far more reliable. TVS quality with respect to component quality of bore kits, packings etc have certainly gone downhill.

I have the pics of the old parts, will share it when the lockdown eases and I get time to sit and open the box the with the old parts up.
nkrishnap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 19:09   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

There were two major repairs done

First major Repair

All of these cost a good 14k odd including the labour for all the work.

Second Repair with in the few days of the first major repair

Cost a good 13K again including parts and labour.

Now the vehicle seems ok for the time being and it has 17300 kms on the odo. The NTorq has had oil pump failures around the 18k kms mark. I know atleast 3 other vehicles having the oil pump failure.

Considering all that that transpired in the last 3 months, would I buy a Ntorq again? A resounding NO. I would pick the Jupiter over the NTorq any day as it is far more reliable. TVS quality with respect to component quality of bore kits, packings etc have certainly gone downhill.

Wow - this is really ridiculous level of expense and really sorry to hear your experience. As lovely as the N Torq seems, for a bike that is retailing around 1 lakh INR, to cough up 30% of current retail price in such early miles maintenance is unacceptable.

Hope we have a fuss free ownership experience with our machine. Honestly, it is going to be a low mileage machine for us and simply doesn’t justify this kind of upkeep on a mid to long term basis.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 20:01   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Wow - this is really ridiculous level of expense and really sorry to hear your experience. As lovely as the N Torq seems, for a bike that is retailing around 1 lakh INR, to cough up 30% of current retail price in such early miles maintenance is unacceptable.

Hope we have a fuss free ownership experience with our machine. Honestly, it is going to be a low mileage machine for us and simply doesn’t justify this kind of upkeep on a mid to long term basis.
Even though TVS says 6K kms for the oil change, do not take it that long. Change the oil at every 3K kms considering it is around 350 bucks. With the oil pump being the suspect, the old oil can cause more damage.

PS: The oil has been changed at 2500 kms religiously.

Like I mentioned again, with the new age TVS going after design than robust quality offering durability, for certain vehicles, I would avoid them until they go back to their old ways.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 13:40   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmathews View Post

It seems that TVS has a modified 6 Hole Clutch Assy. to resolve this issue. The current Clutch is a 2 Hole Assy. I did not see the part, so I am unable to elaborate on 2 hole or 6 hole.
Hi vmathews! I'm also a owner of a 2019 ntorq , I would like to know more about the 6 holed clutch assembly since I've been having multiple problems with the CVT and would like them to be rectified .

So here are the questions:
1. Since it has been quite sometime that you've had the new clutch , I would like to know if there are some improvement in vibration and refinement , my scooter starts vibrating around 40 kmph and continues to vibrate till 50kmph.
2. Screeching noises , my scooter is plagued with this screeching noise since the day I took delivery of her . Would like to know if it's a bug or a function .
3. Last but not the least , the price.

Looking forwards towards your reply.
Old 31st May 2021, 19:09   #133

Hi,
The Clutch was replaced under Warranty, so no charges were levied.

I suggest that you go to the Service Centre and at the Reception, you should find an escalation matrix which also displays the TVS Service reps details. Give him a call and he should be able to help you out better than the Service Centre.

Also, I have exchanged my killer NTorq (could not take it anymore) for a Yamaha Faccino.
vmathews is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 22:20   #134

Quote:
Hi,
The Clutch was replaced under Warranty, so no charges were levied.

I suggest that you go to the Service Centre and at the Reception, you should find an escalation matrix which also displays the TVS Service reps details. Give him a call and he should be able to help you out better than the Service Centre.

Also, I have exchanged my killer NTorq (could not take it anymore) for a Yamaha Faccino.
I really wish that I had escalated the clutch issues the moment I heard the noise and felt the vibrations . I fell for the service guy's sweet talking , my complaint was put down quoting " saar this is normal CVT noise saar , can't do anything about it ".

It's a really fun scooter but as mentioned by other bhpians , this fun train hits the wall the moment you step into the service center .

Also if you don't mind answering ,What made you switch to fascino ?apart from TVS' otherworldly service experience.
mazealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 00:42   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vmathews could you please explain the “killer Ntorq” reference and what made you pick the Yamaha Facino from so many scooters available in the market.

Thank you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed