Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2018, 11:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review

A brilliant review of a plucky little scooter.

I have to admit that TBHP Ownership reviews like yours are far better than the reviews we get in Print Media.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 12:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

That's a great review of the wonderful little machine. The detailing sure is getting better and better by the day. Thanks for sharing

This is 1 machine which made me give a serious look at scoots. Having been an out and out motorbike chap all my life, they just never appealed to me except while in Goa. Yes, all my scoot riding experience is only in GOA

Hope the mileage increases with time? As 35-45 kmpl seems pretty low for scoots.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 12:55   #18
BHPian

Wonderful review. One of the best I have ever seen for a scooter on tbhp.

We bought Activa 125 around 1.5 years back. I wasn't really impressed with the scooter for the premium it was asking for (specially for disc break version). Also already pathetic Honda service experience is degrading day by day. We had to go for it simply due to lack of other options :( I am glad that the situation is somewhat rectified now.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 13:35   #19
BHPian

Nice review. Potential scooter buyers shall definitely benefit from this.

This is one really hot scooter. If it also rides as well then finally we have some competition for Activa.

Cheers,
Pinin
pinin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 14:01   #20
BHPian

Good review! Honestly, most scooters in this price bracket don't have very well crafted parts. My Access in spite of being a fantastic scooter has a poor part and finish quality and flimsy panels all to reduce weight and cost especially!
But the TVS has a great engine and an even better sounding exhaust note!
Crankpin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 19:35   #21

Hey, great review

I recently bought Honda Grazia (grey colour) and have done around 300 km and am all smiles.

Any idea as to when the suzuki burgman street 125 is coming and about its pricing?
Old 16th May 2018, 21:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Congrats!
How is readability of console in day & night, is that a backlit display?
Here we go, tried taking pics in direct sunlight, in shade and night. The speedometer is always backlit (white) and takes full effect as it gets dark. Odo and other display items are crisp and easy to read in all conditions.

TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review-sunlight.jpg

TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review-shade.jpg

TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review-night.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Congrats on the new scooter! Nice review, it was helpful. I am predicting that our family will be in a similar situation as you about a year down the line, needing to have 2 scooters. I was seriously considering the NTorq, but not too sure because that will mean having 2 TVS scooters (want to spread the risk) in the household - we already have a 3-year-old Wego!
You will not go wrong with the Wego or the NtorQ the risk is anyways mitigated. Known devil is better than the unknown one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Krishna,

Congrats on the Ntorq.

Can you post some pics on the fuel filling lid opening? Also does the scooter have a utility hook, few pics of the footboard would do?

I find the main headlamp on the scooter body a bit awkard knowing that the throw would not be in the intended direction when turning. Did you have this in mind when buying the scooter?

Happy riding and drive safe.
I will click the pics in daylight and revert. There are two hooks, one below the speedo unit and one below the seat unit. Both carry a weight limit of 3 kgs (if my memory serves me right. Fixed headlamps have not troubled me, I have ridden the Karizma quite a few times and that too had the fixed ones like these at night at triple digit speeds with no issues.

External fuel lid pics

TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review-fuel-lid-1.jpg

TVS Ntorq 125 - Ownership Review-fuel-lid-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Great review here!!
I believe the bluetooth feature is very useful in today's times. Wish it's offered on many more bikes soon.
Btw, did you check on the Aprilia 125/150? How did you find those in comparison?
Aprilia though fast, the ride is pretty harsh. Me getting older did not help the selection cause either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
A nice little Scoot out there. Ntorq has a perfect balance, got great style, good power and balanced ride. Icing on cake is the feature list and price. Grazia in comparison is too bland and feels commuter and the Aprillia is too focused on performance and comes with terrible ride. I remember reading current series of Ntorq comes with LED headlights, is this true?
NtorQ does not even get DC headlights, so forget the LED headlights for now. But there are load of aftermarket stuff that can be done to plonk an LED bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Loved the crisp and concise review!

Is putting the scooter on the main stand as easy as a Wego/Jupiter? That and the external fuel filler will decide how popular this scooter becomes among the ladies

Wish you a million miles of safe and happy riding!

Cheers,
Vikram
It is as easy as the Jupiter and Wego for the center stand usage albeit with a tinge of heavier feel for the additional weight the NtorQ carries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Hope the mileage increases with time? As 35-45 kmpl seems pretty low for scoots.
NtorQ surely rides like a bike and handle bar and seat height helps the cause too. Mileage is better if there are not short runs all the time. Unfortunately most of my rides are within 2-3 kms.
nkrishnap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 06:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ride, handling and specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The fuel efficiency varies a little too much if there are too many cold starts and short distance rides.
This would apply for almost any scooter or vehicle. Frequent, cold, stop starts will impact fuel economy. The engine needs to reach its optimum operating temperature in order to be efficient. If TVS wanted to play smart with this, they should have engineered a way to disengage the cooling fan blade wheel when the engine is cold.

A very attractive scooter and that comprehensive instrument cluster looks the part. The oil temperature gauge is drool. Wish more cars had it.

QC has been a long standing problem for TVS. Flimsy parts on what is supposed to be a premium scooter is unacceptable. This is how you loose the game to segment leader Honda. They are untouchable when it comes to QC. Heck; I think even Bajaj do better QC than TVS today.

Guess it is safe to say that "exhaust note" has been a TVS trademark. Glad that it has found its way on a scooter. Makes it more interesting than the constant whirr noise heard from the engine.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 11:45   #24
BHPian

It's a bit of both actually QC and Perceived quality. When you have so many panels fitting into each other, you have a to have a good QC process along with the part quality of the vehicle.
Good Perceived quality would be if you tackle these issues beforehand (Design & Development phase) and implement solutions in the design phase of the vehicle so that you don't end up with the usual list of problems.
Now since this a sporty scooter, it's imperative to have a form which looks sporty and hence so many plastic panels! But it's possible to reduce the complexity and engineer parts which wouldn't hurt the styling but still be top on quality and fit/ finish.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 12:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
QC has been a long standing problem for TVS. Flimsy parts on what is supposed to be a premium scooter is unacceptable. This is how you loose the game to segment leader Honda. They are untouchable when it comes to QC. Heck; I think even Bajaj do better QC than TVS today..
A little surprised that you found Bajaj QC better. The issue I point out is not about the QC, its about the design and complete implementation of the design elements into the production line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
It's a bit of both actually QC and Perceived quality. When you have so many panels fitting into each other, you have a to have a good QC process along with the part quality of the vehicle.
Good Perceived quality would be if you tackle these issues beforehand (Design & Development phase) and implement solutions in the design phase of the vehicle so that you don't end up with the usual list of problems.
Now since this a sporty scooter, it's imperative to have a form which looks sporty and hence so many plastic panels! But it's possible to reduce the complexity and engineer parts which wouldn't hurt the styling but still be top on quality and fit/ finish.
TVS has designed slots to tightly fit this panels, but at last minute decided not to both these on properly. I had removed a few panels to understand why the panels are flexing, I did not bother to take pics. The next time I open it, I will surely take pics and put it out here. For example the boot area and the side panels have slots to bolt the both these two together. However, TVS has gone against it, not sure why. If they did you would have all the panels fit flush without flexing. May be some genius would have pointed out that skipping this would be value engineering. I wonder how much TVS would have saved money on skipping such stuff.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 15:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
May be some genius would have pointed out that skipping this would be value engineering.
Highly possible.

Quote:
I wonder how much TVS would have saved money on skipping such stuff.
Being in the manufacturing industry, I can tell you that this will give a good saving in the long run subject to volumes. But yes a more elegant solution would have been better.

Crisp review and ownership experience. Looking forward to further updates and as our family is also eagerly looking at a new scooter for running errands and mainly city use.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 17:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations nkrishnap!!
Superb and very detailed review that was much awaited. Thanks for taking the time out with the pics and GIF's to help prospective buyers. Glad that you were able to complete the first service and put up that experience as well. Wishing you many more miles on this scooter.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 18:28   #28
BHPian

I am riding the Aprilia since last 2 years. My in laws recently bought the NTorq and I spent a few days with it. Features wise it's way ahead. But handling wise it is not a patch on the Aprilia.
Old 18th May 2018, 03:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A little surprised that you found Bajaj QC better. The issue I point out is not about the QC, its about the design and complete implementation of the design elements into the production line.
Bajaj QC isn't what it used to be, like a decade ago. They have upped their game by a long shot.

Well; your review highlighted iffy bits such as switch gear, suspect paint quality and the overall build being not so great. This points to bad QC in my books. Not something you want after coughing up 60k!

The design implementation is another conversation. Not sure why they would leave flappy bits that will only end up rattling or worse, falling off after a period of time.
Old 18th May 2018, 18:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This points to bad QC in my books. Not something you want after coughing up 60k!
The flappy plastic panels are seriously bad and yes they could have certainly done something to bolt them on. Bad QC certainly. And on-road Bangalore is almost 76,000/- so it is certainly not a bargain price at any cost.

Most Viewed