Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 12:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Gixxer ABS launched at Rs. 87,250

Suzuki is now offering anti-lock brakes (ABS) on the Gixxer. The Gixxer ABS is priced at Rs. 87,250 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Suzuki Gixxer ABS launched at Rs. 87,250-suzuki-gixxer-abs_metallic-triton-blue.png

Apart from the addition of the ABS system, Suzuki hasn't made any other changes to the motorcycle. The Gixxer measures 2,050 mm in length, 785 mm in width and 1,030 mm in height, while the seat height is 780 mm. The bike has a wheelbase of 1,330 mm and comes equipped with a 12-litre fuel tank.

Suzuki Gixxer ABS launched at Rs. 87,250-suzuki-gixxer-abs_glass-sparkle-black.png

The Suzuki Gixxer ABS is a naked street bike featuring a short front cowl with a V-shaped headlamp and telescopic forks in the front and a monoshock rear suspension. The bike rides on 17-inch alloy wheels finished in black, while the V-shaped exhaust has a chrome heat shield. It has a stepped seat and a triangular LED tail lamp.

Suzuki Gixxer ABS launched at Rs. 87,250-suzuki-gixxer-abs_candy-sonoma-red.png

The Gixxer ABS is powered by a 154.9 cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine that delivers 14.6 BHP @ 8,000 rpm and 14 Nm @ 6,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed gearbox. It comes with disc brakes at both ends and is equipped with single channel ABS system.

The Gixxer ABS is available in 3 colour options - Metallic Triton Blue, Glass Sparkle Black, and Candy Sonoma Red / Metallic Sonic Silver.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 12:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Gixxer ABS launched at Rs. 87,250

The Gixxer seems to be the cheapest ABS equipped motorcycle at INR 87250. However the ABS is a single channel one.

The 2018 red colour scheme looks hideous now with all that silver and graphics. It looks maroon rather than red. My 2015 all red Gixxer looks much better in comparison.

Suzuki Gixxer ABS launched at Rs. 87,250-psx_20180410_161749.jpg

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 29th May 2018 at 13:01. Reason: Attaching Image
Shumi_21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 11:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
The Gixxer seems to be the cheapest ABS equipped motorcycle at INR 87250. However the ABS is a single channel one
FRONT BRAKES is all that is needed to stop a bike.

In case one is applying rear brakes, then he needs to relearn how to brake on a motorcycle...

.. unless one is intentionally jamming the rear to perform a slide (which a single channel ABS would actually allow).
Old 30th May 2018, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
FRONT BRAKES is all that is needed to stop a bike.

In case one is applying rear brakes, then he needs to relearn how to brake on a motorcycle...

.. unless one is intentionally jamming the rear to perform a slide (which a single channel ABS would actually allow).
There are quite a number of people (myself included), who use both front and rear brakes (Brake bias:Front).
It is simply, much more effective.

However, personally, I would be perfectly okay with Single Channel ones (of course, at the front).
Old 30th May 2018, 12:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
There are quite a number of people (myself included), who use both front and rear brakes (Brake bias:Front).
It is simply, much more effective.

However, personally, I would be perfectly okay with Single Channel ones (of course, at the front).

Front is all you need.

The rear wheel is prone to wheel locks. Its very easy to lock the rear (drag the bike) especially when front brakes aren't applied. Although in most situations is easy to recover from a rear wheel lock/slide but almost impossible to recover from a front wheel lock.

Using both brakes is a safe braking practice when there is no ABS at all. But front is all you will need, when you have ABS on the front.

Last edited by payeng : 30th May 2018 at 12:51.
Old 30th May 2018, 14:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
In case one is applying rear brakes, then he needs to relearn how to brake on a motorcycle
At the risk of going off topic

While I agree with the fact that the front brake lies at the core of any motorcycle's braking performance, I don't agree that the rear brake is useless. Optimal braking performance for me would be the full application of both brakes (without skidding), combined with engine braking.

It's true that as one applies the front brakes (progressively, of course), traction available to the front tyre increases, thereby progressively reducing the traction available to the rear tyre, which may lead to a lockup. To avoid the resultant skid, one must modulate the rear brake. So unless one is pulling stoppies everytime he brakes, one can definitely decrease the stopping distance with proper application of front and rear brakes combined with engine braking versus using only the front brake.

In wet road conditions too, one can use more rear brake and less front brake if only to ensure that the low grip doesn't cause a front-wheel skid, which is a million times harder to save than a rear wheel skid.

In conclusion, while the front brake of a motorcycle does almost all the work, the rear brake is a little useful too. On our unpredictable road conditions, equally unpredictable fellow road users, pedestrians and even animals, I feel it is better to use all the braking force available to us. It could be the difference between a crash and a near miss.

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 30th May 2018 at 14:04.
Old 30th May 2018, 14:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
While I agree with the fact that the front brake lies at the core of any motorcycle's braking performance, I don't agree that the rear brake is useless. Optimal braking performance for me would be the full application of both brakes (without skidding), combined with engine braking.

Agree with you completely. In fact after recent two my painful crashes due to front wheel lock on loose surface(after decades of braking with only the front brakes), I have changed my braking habit with application of both rear and front.

I have started to use the rear just to make sure that I don't have another front wheel lock lock up like the last 2 (painful) times.

But with ABS on the front, I can go back to using the front brakes without bothering to lock them up. The bike would slow even on slippery / loose surface plus the front won't lock up (thanks to front ABS).

Last edited by payeng : 30th May 2018 at 14:11.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks