Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2018, 19:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Mankame wants to build an Electric Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Batteries as high as the top of a 2 wheeler would be bad design. Batteries are heavy, usually they are tucked away as low as possible (to add to low center of gravity) - like in the E-Scooter that Ather is making.

In this case, its obvious that the "tank" is just cosmetic or going with the conventional (Internal Combustion) motorcycle design of today.
Possibly but in any case I doubt it is just cosmetic. Given that this is a motorcycle and not a scooter, its very likely that the entire unit would be placed in that area. Why I still say this is because you have the frame somewhat supporting it as well. Take a look at this picture. Probably might give an idea of what I am trying to say.

Mankame wants to build an Electric Bike-e1_s_hk_moottoripy_r__7621.jpg

Image Source

I could be wrong in my understanding though
Old 2nd June 2018, 05:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Cannot understand the logic of building so many features in to vehicles. What will succeed in INdia would be basic and durable mobility solution. Don't see any startup attempting that.

Add http://www.22motors.in to the list offering EV's
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Possibly but in any case I doubt it is just cosmetic. Given that this is a motorcycle and not a scooter, its very likely that the entire unit would be placed in that area.

Why I still say this is because you have the frame somewhat supporting it as well. Take a look at this picture. Probably might give an idea of what I am trying to say.

The battery and the heavy stuff have been clearly pushed towards the "belly" of the photo you have posted
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
With critical parts (motor, battery, brakes) being available off the shelf, should be easy to create a new e-bike ?
Plus that desire to work for themselves and not bother looking for job should be cool

A real one should be a commuter bike with more custom development to keep the costs down. Thats what would bring needed change to market.
Manufacturing an Electric Motorcycle is a little tougher than that. Working for one isnt too bad (Been at two, current one is fantastic). But its just like working for an EV company.

OTS Parts sometimes have issues too. Brakes are some what easy, but with EU requirements for ABS for road vehicles, it makes that component hard to design (profiling, testing...and more testing) since ABS changes requirements.

Suspension, tough to bolt on OTS components especially when there designed for gas bikes. Takes a few yrs of development to dial in a proper suspension.

Motor/Battery/Pwr electronics - if you want something that will run...design and develop.Going to China for those parts usually leave to parts dying in a few years.
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
With critical parts (motor, battery, brakes) being available off the shelf, should be easy to create a new e-bike ?
We're not just talking an e-bike here. This is an e-superbike.

Take Ather energy for example. After showing their concept at the 2016 Expo and getting huge funding from Hero Motors - they are just about to launch a 60km range, 75km/h scooter. Now consider the technological leap and engineering required for achieving a 500km range, 251 kmph super e-bike. If it was that easy as assembling on parts - manufacturers would have already done it long back.

Not that no one has done it till date. The battery pack on the $19k Zero SR (With optional powerpack) for example is 18KWh, whereas Mankame aims for a 18.4 KWh battery pack based system. However - Zero SR claims a max range of 359kms and top speed of 164 kmph only, whereas Mankame aims for a huge improvement of 500 kms range with a top speed of 251 kmph.

Not to mention - a motorcycle is not always the sum of its parts. Getting a four wheeler right is much easier than getting a motorcycle to stay on its two wheels at 250kmph. It takes a combination of all mechanicals working in perfect harmony to do so - something even many known and established manufacturers still don't get right at times.

Will be interesting if they can succeed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks