Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2017, 08:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Spied: 2018 KTM 390 Adventure

Finally, it seems Bajaj has conceded to the fact that 390 Adventure is under development. This will be made in India and exported as it's with the current Duke and RC series. It's heart-warming to eventually see an affordable ADV bike arriving with all the essential mix, though no time-lines have been confirmed yet.

Source : http://auto.ndtv.com/news/ktm-confir...-india-1650598
tabrez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Some more scoop on the same news -

http://www.motoroids.com/news/ktm-39...nch-confirmed/

Just as I had thought, the launch of the Versys X300 and BMW GS310 will force KTM/Bajaj to accelerate product development. They cannot just sit on this segment all the way till 2019. If the bike is indeed displayed at EICMA 2017, I guess we should be seeing the India launch by early Q2 2018.

*rubbing hands in glee*
praful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 12:42   #33

Further, I read somewhere that the chassis is being developed from scratch and it is not the modified D390. It's not that KTM didn't try to to that, but the results were not satisfactory. This means it is a good news for us. Also, the engine will be the same 390 block but tuned with better power delivery in the lower rev range.

Seems like 2017-18 is gonna be an awesome year since, 310GS, Versys300 and VStorm 300 will most likely make their way to India. And then 390 ADV will join the party and take the center stage (Price-wise) most probably in 2018.

Until then I guess I can make do with my Himalayan.
2W-4W is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 20:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 KTM Duke unveiled at EICMA 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You will do WELL to wait. After having purchased the versys and run about 16k kms in the past 6 months, what we need today is a lightweight adv weapon - which the versys is not. This KTM is like a sniper - designed to do one thing and one thing only - OVERLAND! ...I think KTM has realized they were caught napping BIG time and are accelerating development on this machine. They KNOW there are a LOT of people waiting for KTM to launch this samurai sword.
Seems nearly everyone I've met trying to tour out in the beyond on the typical heavyweight adv-touring bikes was complaining about them. The Himalayan looked great till it turned out as heavy / unwieldy as a Bullet and with an (inexplicably) even harder rear suspension - but at least it retained the typically unrefined RE mechanical clatter to some degree...

I cannot believe it has taken this long to get a powerful, lightweight design underway, but am glad it looks to be finally happening. A real missed opportunity for Hero five years ago, whose corporate hyper-conservatism, I suppose, precluded their introducing the Impulse with something of at least 225cc, and whose carelessness precluded their even making sure the humble 150 would run at the altitudes the typical adv-touring routes demanded! Others will now reap the benefits of KTM's knowing the target market / doing things right the first time, I expect.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 21:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Seems nearly everyone I've met trying to tour out in the beyond on the typical heavyweight adv-touring bikes was complaining about them. The Himalayan looked great till it turned out as heavy / unwieldy as a Bullet and with an (inexplicably) even harder rear suspension - but at least it retained the typically unrefined RE mechanical clatter to some degree...

-Eric
agree with you. Very quickly though - if you had to pick a motor right now - between the himalayan and the duke 390 - which one would you choose and why?
Old 2nd February 2017, 23:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
agree with you. Very quickly though - if you had to pick a motor right now - between the himalayan and the duke 390 - which one would you choose and why?
Mmmm... that's a tough one. Never ridden the 390, but hear it's a great engine. Being a rev-happy oversquare design, not really the thing for adv-touring; on a light enough bike might be okay anyway, but I'd be a little surprised if KTM finally gives us that same engine (never mind tuning changes), without revising the bore/stroke.

But along other lines in truth I could really prefer the simplicity of an air-cooled mill when you're hundreds of km's from a workshop / parts supplier. Just a few less things to go wrong, or to ever have to service. The Himalayan's 410 has a nice strong midrange unlike any earlier RE - but like the rest of the bike, it somehow still just seems so bulky, heavy and unnecessarily noisy - in a word, so "Enfieldish".

Oh, please - Can't I just choose another engine???

Okay, I pick something like the Suzuki DR's air-cooled 350/400's (got a '92 model sitting in the U.S.): Punchy (30bhp) and reasonably refined, lightweight (whole bike's 120kg's), and very, very simple.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 2nd February 2017 at 23:53.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2W-4W View Post
Further, I read somewhere that the chassis is being developed from scratch and it is not the modified D390. It's not that KTM didn't try to to that, but the results were not satisfactory. This means it is a good news for us. Also, the engine will be the same 390 block but tuned with better power delivery in the lower rev range.
With the current D390 bore/stroke ratio, I doubt KTM will be able to extract more power lower down whatsoever tuning they might do. They will either have to make the engine more squarish or increase size by 100 or so. An ADV490 will be absolute killer!

On the other hand, most adv bikes are not really used offroad - so they might go for the same engine but with improved suspension, seating and ergonomics for long distance touring.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:53   #38
BHPian

I'm assuming it's not going to be a re-tuned 390 engine, for the engine in the spy pictures is visibly not the same. I really hope it's going to be an increase in capacity, something derived from their 450 platform, that can develop some good torque at a lower RPM range. Well KTM does have the right experience in this Adventure Travel domain and I will believe they're going to nail it right. Curiosity is getting the best of me and I can't wait to get a glimpse of the final design and hear about the tech specs

While at it, here's some news that is surely going to add to the ship of too many choices - HMS Confusious:

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/25971/hon...-the-new-bike/

But I'm anchored at the KTM port

Last edited by sawan_dubey : 3rd February 2017 at 11:56.
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Is the "torque" down low really the final word on a good ADV bike from an engine perspective? For me, I would prefer a bike with a solid mid range; which the 390 does have bag loads of. 4k and above, there are no issues. Keep the bike in that powerband and of course, learn to slip the clutch and you should be fine

My bigger concern is fueling. The jerky throttle response is what concerns me the most and requires more slipping the clutch than is ideally required. This is of course coming from someone who's a noob at riding dirt; but honestly I find the 390 awesome on the trails, albeit with some mods such as:

- 1 inch handlebar riser
- 1 inch lowered footpegs
- 100 section tubeless front Michelin Sirac
- 130 section tubeless rear Vee rubber VRM 163
- 1 inch padded seat

Its going to be hard to believe but the bike is SO much more comfortable now, and mild trails are not an issue. In fact, with the above mods, the ergos are almost identical to a Versys 650 (check cycleergo.com)
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 07:43   #40
BHPian

With an adv travel motorcycle, I'd like some healthy grunt below the 4K RPM range. Slipping the clutch all day long in 2 feet slush doesn't sound so comfortable to me. Let's say we have to get through a week full of slushed out roads, I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a burnt clutch. Well, I'm not saying we always ride only in bad slushy roads, I'd definitely have a blast with that mid range on trails. A couple of pictures here to illustrate the need.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-_20170204_071523.jpg  

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-_20170204_071542.jpg  

sawan_dubey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 11:26   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Is the "torque" down low really the final word on a good ADV bike from an engine perspective? For me, I would prefer a bike with a solid mid range; which the 390 does have bag loads of. 4k and above, there are no issues.
I guess, the low end torque is what gets you out of a tricky situation like Slush, streams or some random trails with crater like potholes, climbing mild rocks and what not. I maybe a noob at saying this, but mid range is a requirement when you are cruising highways and measuring length and breadth of a country. In a typical Off-Road scenario, Low end torque is a must because you are seldom riding in second gear.

IMHO low end power band to an ADV is what "4x4" is to a SUV.
2W-4W is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 17:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
With an adv travel motorcycle, I'd like some healthy grunt below the 4K RPM range. Slipping the clutch all day long in 2 feet slush doesn't sound so comfortable to me. Let's say we have to get through a week full of slushed out roads, I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a burnt clutch. Well, I'm not saying we always ride only in bad slushy roads, I'd definitely have a blast with that mid range on trails. A couple of pictures here to illustrate the need.
True that! Completely missed the slush part

I don't (as of today) enjoy / seek out slush riding as the last couple of times that I heroically tried going through it; I landed on my ample bottom

I feel that upon encountering terrain featured in the snaps above; I would just park my bike, hail an uber and get back home pronto

But on gravely, hard pack type trails with loads of ruts (like the ones I usually ride over the weekend); the mid range on the 390 is a ton of fun. Too bad my buddies on Hero impulses just smoke me on the trails. A lot of it has to do with me, but some mods will definitely be needed to the bike to make it more trail worthy. Up next:

- 19 inch front wheel (still on the fence with this)
- Repositioned footpegs and levers (definitely getting it done)

Something like this - https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...MTUyOA%3D%3D.2
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 22:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

So finally right before EICMA we see some fresh spy shots of the 390ADV.

It still looks like it's too early in the product development life cycle to be showcased at EICMA, but you never know!!!

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorra...ig.980010.html
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-1508865897512.jpg  

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-1508865905330.jpg  

praful is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 23:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

It still looks like it's too early in the product development life cycle to be showcased at EICMA, but you never know!!!

Wow.. Interesting. I like the Dual Sport / Supermoto version (right photo)

However both the test mules has alloy rear + spoke front.

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 00:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

About time! The older spy shots were getting too old and there was a general lack of new drool content from KTM for months

Both the bikes look amazing. And KTM have taken their sweet time in completing this project. I just hope this EICMA holds something really special from KTM.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks