Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 17:34   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Spied: 2018 KTM 390 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Simple question - You happy with what you are seeing?
Let the bike launch baba, why beat the baby before its born.

And honestly after test riding the baby GS, I will take the KTM in whatever avatar it launches eyes closed

You have to understand that this bike is made for the mass market, not for you or me and built to a cost with margins included.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 18:49   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My only expectation is that they improve quality.
===
Mad fun when everything works, but doesn't give me confidence to purchase or recommend a KTM for rough use!
KTM's always had initial niggles in India, which the company fixes over a period of time. And quality is also average at best (definitely not premium), but then price also has been quite competitive. So can't really complain.

Mind you I use a first gen 390 as my current city "beater bike" and it is reliable for such use, nothing is falling off... but then things do rattle here and there. The brake light switch has it's on mind etc. But yes it starts every time and runs without a fuzz.

My bigger bother is the service support in Bangalore, than the quality of the bike and hope KTM puts more effort in fixing that with the slew of new launches.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 17:37   #123
BHPian

Pictures of KTM 390 adventure with sidebags and top box spied by zigwheels - https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...clusive/32879/

Last edited by Madhu_Bengaluru : 28th January 2019 at 17:39.
Madhu_Bengaluru is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 17:20   #124
BHPian

Any word on it's expected pricing?
It was expected to be slightly higher than the Duke 390 which goes for around 3 lakhs on road but, with the 650 twins disrupting sales in the ~3 lakh bracket and the heavy discounts on the BMW G 310 GS, I wonder what's the price gonna be?
Old 2nd February 2019, 00:47   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Any word on it's expected pricing?
I think it would be around 40 - 50k more than Duke 390. But I am now starting to dream about the 650 Himalayan.
Old 5th April 2019, 10:58   #126
BHPian

More sightings of the much awaited & elusive beast being reported
http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/t...-more-details/
tabrez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:13   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
More sightings of the much awaited & elusive beast being reported
http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/t...-more-details/

I wish to God they would launch it already! This saga has been running since 2013!!
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 14:13   #128
BHPian

This time there is a clear picture of the rear tire treads, and as claimed by some other source, the bike does look like its on Continental TKC70 tires. The bike looks production ready, I wonder what KTM is cooking up. Also, what kind of registration number does the CT100 besides the adv sport?
Old 5th April 2019, 14:27   #129
BHPian

Looking at the pics I somehow feel the front suspension travel and ground clearance to be quite low. Lower even than the impulse!! I hope I am wrong and I am hoping KTM doesn't water it down to fit the needs of "mango man".
Old 5th April 2019, 15:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Looking at the pics I somehow feel the front suspension travel and ground clearance to be quite low. Lower even than the impulse!! I hope I am wrong and I am hoping KTM doesn't water it down to fit the needs of "mango man".
How much more watering down can be done I wonder. Gone is the long travel suspension, a longer beefier swingarm, Spoked wheels have given way to alloys. Not sure if there's any reinforcement to the frame (99.99% sure there isn't). Rear subframe may be different to cater to the additional load (luggage) its meant to carry

And Impulse has a pretty good GC. 245 mm I think. Numbers aside, the boulder sections on the trail I ride every weekend attest to that. Have seen more than one RE Himalayan get beached and / or make heart wrenching "THUDS"

Old 5th April 2019, 15:51   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much more watering down can be done I wonder. Gone is the long travel suspension, a longer beefier swingarm, Spoked wheels have given way to alloys.
This bike is a sports adventure tourer which is 390 cc. Don't have any illusions that it will meet the needs of an enduro. For someone who has a budget and wants to travel the length and breadth of a country or an RTW, this bike might fit the bill and checks all the boxes reasonably.

For boulder hopping, and dune bashing - enduro or dirt bikes are a better weapon.

There's no one bike fits all or even 2 categories.
Old 5th April 2019, 16:05   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This bike is a sports adventure tourer which is 390 cc. Don't have any illusions that it will meet the needs of an enduro. For someone who has a budget and wants to travel the length and breadth of a country or an RTW, this bike might fit the bill and checks all the boxes reasonably.

For boulder hopping, and dune bashing - enduro or dirt bikes are a better weapon.

There's no one bike fits all or even 2 categories.
Going over a rocky section is not enduro territory. You are thinking of maybe something like a KTM 500 EXC or a CRF 450 when you recommend these bikes

I am thinking a scaled down 790 adventure R. I sincerely hope there's an 390 R variant planned for the future. As you start picking up speed off road, you meet the limitation of a street biased suspension, wheels and other bits

This will probably work for most as a huge chunk of the population (thankfully) doesn't care about going off road (else all our trails and tracks would be filled with traffic + Selfie clicking yuppies) and at worse will encounter a few patches of broken roads

For those who however do venture off the beaten path regularly, we absolutely need an R version. The perfect ADV bike IMO!

Maybe in the next 5 years KTM? Or is that too soon?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 5th April 2019 at 16:06.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 16:14   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For those who however do venture off the beaten path regularly, we absolutely need an R version. The perfect ADV bike IMO!

Maybe in the next 5 years KTM? Or is that too soon?
Yes 390R will be awesome to have. Whether it comes here and at what price, we don't know. That will be a good travel enduro with an insane seat height.

This bike as we see is a good travel adventure bike with mild offroad/gravel riding thrown in for every day bikers. There are people who bash their regular KTM's in godforsaken trails (granted not riding it like a professional dirt tracker, feet down and paddling and all), so I think this bike will work better than whatever else we have in the market at the moment.

Having seen spy snaps of this bike with wire wheels, I strongly think there will be an R version that will launch alongside at EICMA this year. At what seat height is anyone's guess. The 790 R is an insane 870 MM.
Old 5th April 2019, 16:54   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yes 390R will be awesome to have. Whether it comes here and at what price, we don't know. That will be a good travel enduro with an insane seat height.

This bike as we see is a good travel adventure bike with mild offroad/gravel riding thrown in for every day bikers. There are people who bash their regular KTM's in godforsaken trails (granted not riding it like a professional dirt tracker, feet down and paddling and all), so I think this bike will work better than whatever else we have in the market at the moment.

Having seen spy snaps of this bike with wire wheels, I strongly think there will be an R version that will launch alongside at EICMA this year. At what seat height is anyone's guess. The 790 R is an insane 870 MM.
Seat height needn't be too high if they still use a 19"-17" combo with spoke wheels like the impulse . 19-17 is also the perfect compromise between road and off-road. It's the 21"-19" combo thats usually the culprit which elevates seat height and also road handling goes for a toss .

Give us decent fork/shock travel with 19-17 spoke wheels and adequate GC. That's all I ask for. Oh and some low-down torque without compromising on descent cruising speeds. Please KTM make it happen. I hope I am not asking for too much :(

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 5th April 2019 at 16:58.
Old 5th April 2019, 16:58   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Seat height needn't be too high if they still use a 19"-17" combo with spoke wheels. It's the 21"-19" combo thats usually the culprit which elevates seat height . Give us decent fork/shock travel with 19-17 spoke wheels and adequate GC. That's all I ask for. Oh and some low-down torque without compromising on descent cruising speeds.
R series will most necessarily come with a 21 inch front IMO. 19 inch front is considered too pedestrian by the mainstream offroad community (like Urbanji paaji ). I expect the 390 R to follow its middle brother in specs like these.

But who knows what the boffins at team orange are smoking

Urban, just kidding man.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks