Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 17:14   #136
BHPian

Re: Spied: 2018 KTM 390 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
R series will most necessarily come with a 21 inch front IMO. 19 inch front is considered too pedestrian by the mainstream offroad community (like Urbanji paaji ). I expect the 390 R to follow its middle brother in specs like these.

But who knows what the boffins at team orange are smoking

Urban, just kidding man.
Haha I know exactly the type you're referring to. It's either 21 or they'll wheelie all day without the front wheel.

I recently rode around in Thailand around Chiang mai in a crf250l with 21 inchers. Blasting down some twisties I came up to a chicane kind of section , flicked it left to right and away the front went..Went sliding down the road for about 80 meters . Luckily no vehicle was coming ahead and my gear protected me well. I had learned a valuable lesson though. Take it easy and ride at 70-80% with a 21inch wheel while riding on road.
Old 5th April 2019, 17:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Give us decent fork/shock travel with 19-17 spoke wheels and adequate GC. That's all I ask for
See if its the R, personally I want the whole thing. 21/18 combo is what I want (19 rear is a Motocross thing so that they can run a lower profile rear. Enduro would be 18 where larger sidewall has its benefits)

Quote:
19 inch front is considered too pedestrian
Pedestrian ... no. Not for me, not today at least. But the point is its the "ultimate" (21/18) off road combo. You have that and there’s nothing to upgrade wheel wise

Quote:
by the mainstream offroad community (like Urbanji paaji )

I have in fact just completed the 19 inch front conversion on my 390
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-1.jpg  

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-2.jpg  

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-3.jpg  

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 5th April 2019 at 17:38.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 21:28   #138
BHPian

I don't think we will ever see a R version.
Firstly the market for it in India is probably 10 people
Secondly the engine character is just not good enough for any serious off road use. There is no low down torque. And this is not something they can fix with a simple ECU tune or cam profile.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 03:04   #139
BHPian

https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheel...ts-028025.html

New spy pics reveal the 390 Adventure being tested, and it appears to have two screens. Not sure what the second one is for (possibly just for testing purposes and not meant to go on the final product, who knows).
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 13:32   #140
BHPian

I would be happy to have a 19" front and about 150mm fork travel. The one shown in the spy shots would be ample for tourers who encounter bad roads in the course of a journey to still complete it without bike or the biker taking a hammering.

For those who intentionally wanting to find no roads kinda stuff, this may not fit the bill. But then, as a company you won't pay special attention to this audience (esp, in India) because you got a number game to crunch!

Having done the likes of Pangi valley, Sikkim(Mangan-Thangu) and Arunachal on an almost stock 390, am sure that this bike will make a remarkable difference in the ride quality, average speed and comfort level.
Slightly bigger fuel tank, more roomy seat, better gear ratios, light weight - good enough for me!

I am still apprehensive about that dicey TFT screen though - not sure if the issues have been sorted out.
katoom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 13:31   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I don't think we will ever see a R version.
Firstly the market for it in India is probably 10 people
Secondly the engine character is just not good enough for any serious off road use. There is no low down torque. And this is not something they can fix with a simple ECU tune or cam profile.
For a company like KTM I think it'd be reasonably easy to retune the engine for low down torque. May be not just with a ecu tune but may be with a heavier flywheel and lower gearing. They can also change the character by using a different air box and exhaust design.
Old 8th April 2019, 14:00   #142
BHPian

The 390 engine is short stroke, highly oversquare, high compression engine. It has been designed to build up RMP (and speed). KTM can definitely do something but it wont be an easy fix.
Old 8th April 2019, 14:36   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

How many have you have ridden the stock GS310? How do you find the low down torque on that bike?
Old 8th April 2019, 15:46   #144
Senior - BHPian

Lets not get into analysis paralysis guys. The motors's fine. The low end is fine and the 2nd gear is a great tool barring the most steepest of inclines. If you are getting bogged down, slip the clutch. Standard technique, right?

I mention saying something similar long back and was (kinda) told off coz "how do you ride in mud"? Having no actual experience riding thick gooey mud back then, I conceded. Now; having experienced that a fair bit; I can tell you those comments mean absolutely nothing. In fact, a big dollop of torque the moment you crack open the throttle can be rather dangerous. Think about it

Here's some more food for thought. A KTM 500 EXC is a pretty off road focused motorcycle and is generally revered for its enduro chops, correct? Google tells me its an oversquare motor too. Howcome?

As far as I am concerned; there's nothing to fix ... engine wise
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:30   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Lets not get into analysis paralysis guys. The motors's fine. The low end is fine and the 2nd gear is a great tool barring the most steepest of inclines. If you are getting bogged down, slip the clutch. Standard technique, right?

I mention saying something similar long back and was (kinda) told off coz "how do you ride in mud"? Having no actual experience riding thick gooey mud back then, I conceded. Now; having experienced that a fair bit; I can tell you those comments mean absolutely nothing. In fact, a big dollop of torque the moment you crack open the throttle can be rather dangerous. Think about it

Here's some more food for thought. A KTM 500 EXC is a pretty off road focused motorcycle and is generally revered for its enduro chops, correct? Google tells me its an oversquare motor too. Howcome?

As far as I am concerned; there's nothing to fix ... engine wise
I concur. Gone are those days when long stroke meant tractor like torque and short meant high rpm power.

With today's engine tech it is possible to tune an engine any which way using advanced fluid and thermal dynamics softwares , exhaust and air box resonance tuning and some hardware like heavier or lighter crank, gearbox and sprockets.

Problem with long stroke motors is they run out of breath at higher rpm and therefore becomes quite a pain at cruising speeds due to high vibrations. To counter those vibes a heavy balancer shaft is required and then the weight goes up again.

I personally feel my 2013 390 has ample torque at low rpms. Only the fuelling is sort of glitchy but I guess they have cured it in the recent versions.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 13:15   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How many have you have ridden the stock GS310? How do you find the low down torque on that bike?
Me! Meee!!!

At the cost of drawing some wrath from some members here, i would again say the 310GS is a good bike with more or less right mix of ingredients. Just that damn thing is expensive, else it would have made a good multi-purpose bike for city, highway, trails, and its fun even in twisties. By low end torque, if you mean the capability to ride smoothly in lower gears, then it does it very well. I have owned first gen 390 duke and that engine demands to be revved. Its sensitive, and will show it unhappiness if you r not in right rpm at right gear. 310gs is not a pocket rocket, but slot it in 2nd gear, u can easily do most of your city riding without much complains from the engine. 15kmph in 2nd gear is no issues on the bike. There was issue of bike stalling if one was not careful with clutch release, But they have comeup with a revised map which takes care of that. The bike is pretty well built too, i feel. After the 1k service, i rode for 9k kms without visiting the service center for any work. Just regular chain maintenance and thats it. And i have been sort of abusing the bike on trails, gravel, offroad etc whenever given a chance. no rattles, losoe panels, nuts etc. so far, touch wood. Things which could improve are the excessive vibrations between 6 to 8k rpm, and a bit more of power. And of-course better pricing and spares cost. 10k service costed 6.2K including all, which is decent for 9k kms. I was waiting for 390 adventure for long long time.. Still there is no proper news on its release. I feel happy with my decision to go with 310Gs. I have thoroughly enjoyed that bike in last 7 months and 11k kms of riding. Its super comfortable, good ergonomics, good seat, light enough, decently powered for our indian conditions, returns 26-27kmpl and looks good too. I have put a akrapovich carbon full sysem exhaust which helps as well with improved low end ridablity, engine feels free, and ofcourse the exhaust note. I am still looking forward to the 390 adv, but it would take something special on the bike for me to trade the 310GS for the 390 adv. Lets see!

Last edited by nasirkaka : 11th April 2019 at 13:29.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:33   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
By low end torque, if you mean the capability to ride smoothly in lower gears, then it does it very well.
Not exactly, generally it is the availability of torque at sub 4k RPM's.

The CBR250R has 250cc but sucks when hauling load from standstill which is due to its lack of low end torque, in comparison the ZMA has 223cc but chugs like a locomotive irrespective of gradient.

Easiest way to compute this is by dividing the stroke/bore as made simply by Dilip Bam.

Other than that this is more or less relative as gearing also has an impact on feel, for me the P220 was pathetic when it came to Low End Torque as I was coming from a ZMA, but then recently I saw a video travelogue on YouTube where a couple(Vroom Couple, I guess) were praising the P220 for its low end torque compared to the CBR250R's they were riding before.

Quote:
I have put a akrapovich carbon full sysem exhaust which helps as well with improved low end ridablity
Reduced back-pressure, reduced low-end torque.

The feeling of torque improvement is psychological.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 12:47   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly, generally it is the availability of torque at sub 4k RPM's.
Not getting into technicalities, all i can say is the feeling within. For eg, on the versys 650, at 20kmpl in 2nd gear, i never got the "at ease" feeling. always felt that i had to shift up to 1st else i would be straining the engine. Discussed this at large with our whatsapp group as well initially and many there identified with the feel, but conclusion was thats how that bike is built/geared, and its more of a mental block. But i never has the same feeling on 310. Riding the versys or even 390 in city was like varying speeds between 0-30 where we had to constantly work through first few gears, which is sort of reduced on the 310 which i enjoy.I have no special (fan boy type) attachment towards 310, just that last few bikes which i have ridden, this seems more suited for my requirements hence liking towards it. Hope the 390 adventure is tuned and geared differently from the naked.

Quote:
Reduced back-pressure, reduced low-end torque.

The feeling of torque improvement is psychological.
possibly, but that feeling is there.

Also, do remember akrapovich site posting some torque improvements as well for the exhaust. not sure if they felt the same or did a dyno. sharing a screen cap.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-akra.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 19:25   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Not getting into technicalities, all i can say is the feeling within. For eg, on the versys 650, at 20kmpl in 2nd gear, i never got the "at ease" feeling. always felt that i had to shift up to 1st else i would be straining the engine. Discussed this at large with our whatsapp group as well initially and many there identified with the feel, but conclusion was thats how that bike is built/geared, and its more of a mental block. But i never has the same feeling on 310. Riding the versys or even 390 in city was like varying speeds between 0-30 where we had to constantly work through first few gears, which is sort of reduced on the 310 which i enjoy.I have no special (fan boy type) attachment towards 310, just that last few bikes which i have ridden, this seems more suited for my requirements hence liking towards it. Hope the 390 adventure is tuned and geared differently from the naked.
This I can understand, I shifted to a smaller motorcycle for the same reason.

'What good is the displacement if you can't put it to good use'

Was what my thought process reflected at the time.

Quote:
possibly, but that feeling is there.

Also, do remember akrapovich site posting some torque improvements as well for the exhaust. not sure if they felt the same or did a dyno. sharing a screen cap.
Akra's claims are true, no reason to doubt that. The detail is in the fine-print.

In fact they "specifically mentioned that the torque improvement is available at 4.9k RPM"

A side by side torque/power chart for comparison would've helped potential owners get a better picture of what they're getting their selves into considering that Akra's don't come cheap.

As for the KTM 390 Adventure, still not able to put a finger on it, because of it being identical to the Duke, my concern is whether they'd be able to pull it off like they did with the RC, guess only time will tell.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 00:12   #150
BHPian

KTM 390 adventure spotted testing in Europe with official accessories.(zigwheels)

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...ssories/33678/
Madhu_Bengaluru is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed