Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2020, 14:05   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

[center]As an aftermarket addition, have only put up an anti-glare screen protector on the speedometer console.
Which one did you get and from where? How much? Does the one for the Duke fit this as well?
Old 23rd February 2020, 14:10   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Which one did you get and from where? How much? Does the one for the Duke fit this as well?
-Got it from LazyAssBikers (Mumbai), can also be ordered online.
-INR 1100 for 2 (Clear and Anti Glare).
-Yes, the Duke has the same screen cut out.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:30   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These are the supposed fluids in the 390 duke. I would expect the same inside the adventure.

Attachment 1972650

Will need to be changed out asap.
Is there any specific reason for changing all the fluids on your brand new bike? Ive never heard anyone doing this.
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:56   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Is there any specific reason for changing all the fluids on your brand new bike? Ive never heard anyone doing this.
I don't like the specs of the factory filled fluids. I have a list off what goes into my bikes.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:51   #665
BHPian

Guys, congrats on the new acquisitions. Wish you all good times ahead with the bikes.

I'd like to know what percentage of truth, if at all, there is to the reviews that claimed it does poor offroad. I mean its a given that the weight would make it a bit difficult to manage over slow terrain. But anything else apart from that?

Since a couple of people here also own the BMW G310GS, I'd also be interested in knowing how well it compares with that over the same kind of terrain.
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:50   #666
BHPian

Quote:
These are the supposed fluids in the 390 duke. I would expect the same inside the adventure.

Attachment 1972650

Will need to be changed out asap.
Did you get a user manual with the bike? I took delivery today and did not get the user manual. Reason given - its online now.

Is this correct?
Old 24th February 2020, 06:57   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Did you get a user manual with the bike? I took delivery today and did not get the user manual. Reason given - its online now.

Is this correct?
I got the Duke 390 user manual. Did a double take when the wheels mentioned in the manual was 17 inch.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 09:07   #668
BHPian

Did a long ride of sorts yesterday and was amazed by the FE that I got (if the trip computer is to be believed).The speed hovered between 85-100 KMPH and the roads were a mixed bag (Sawantwadi to Pune, so a ghat section, 2 lane road of ~ 100 kms followed by 4 lane from Nippani to Pune).

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-img_20200223_151337.jpg

On a side note, the leaflet that I got from KTM states fuel octane as RON 91. Have they remapped the ECU for our quality of fuel or what ?
rb2399 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 09:24   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Did a long ride of sorts yesterday and was amazed by the FE that I got (if the trip computer is to be believed).The speed hovered between 85-100 KMPH and the roads were a mixed bag (Sawantwadi to Pune, so a ghat section, 2 lane road of ~ 100 kms followed by 4 lane from Nippani to Pune).
That's excellent numbers to begin with in run-in period
Did you also check from full tank to full tank ?

I'm sure you had lot's of fun on the Amboli ghat section, please share your experience on the twisties and broken road sections of the ghat. If you were traveling with a pillion, was the low end torque sufficient on steep inclines?
Old 24th February 2020, 10:18   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had also adjusted the clutch lever play, was ridiculously huge.
Congrats, you have already started making things the way you want .
Hope you will have a trail ride with 'nasirkaka' soon and compare notes on 390ADV and GS310. Please also share how Versys650 would have faired on same trail.

Quote:
Brake pads are bybre and not Brembo like the interceptor.
To best of my memory, Brembro created 'ByBre' brand to cater to Asian motorcycles with engine capacity less than 650cc. ByBre translates to 'By Brembo'.
sukiwa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 10:28   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Hope you will have a trail ride with 'nasirkaka' soon and compare notes on 390ADV and GS310. Please also share how Versys650 would have faired on same trail.

To best of my memory, Brembro created 'ByBre' brand to cater to Asian motorcycles with engine capacity less than 650cc. ByBre translates to 'By Brembo'.
Haha. Versys 650 stands no chance. Every time we head to a trail we wonder how we would have pulled the Versys out. Or just leave it there and claim return to invoice insurance

You are right about ByBre. But those pads are no comparison to the actual Brembos or even the EBC's. EBC's were way better than even the stock Nissin's on the Versys.

If i remember right, the interceptor beat the duke 390 on braking tests. I would attribute to that to the stock brembo pads. I think the rotor is still a bybre unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
But I found the gearbox to be quite smooth in the TD vehicle.

Only complaints where some hesitancy showed up shifting using quickshifter.
I think one needs to load the shift lever an ms before the shift. I think it will be smooth then. Someone here mentioned that the unit is stuck inside the gearbox?

I just use the clutch. Its light and the reflex action over the years is not going to go away so soon.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th February 2020 at 10:52. Reason: Back to back posts.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 11:55   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post

Is this correct?
Yes it is online, download KTM Care app. Upload your VIN, email id / mobile number and register. Then go to manuals and you can download the same. My cousin who has bought along with me managed to do this, i couldn't since they have given incorrect mobile number. Went to showroom and they said have to be done at service center.

Did about 215 kms so far, engine is slowly getting smoother. But that darn gearbox is clanky and as the heat increases it becomes super-annoying. I guess it might be mineral oil from the factory acting up.

So a quick wrap up of my impression.
  • This bike is good fun being light, just like the old duke one can ride it like a hooligan.
  • The power delivery is definitely more mellow compared to my previous remapped first-gen duke, I think even the ride by wire is Lil slow compared to the ones am used to on tiger, those are more crisp. Sproketing also might be the other reason for this behavior.
  • Being used to the heavy tiger, this lil one gives super confidence for me. Lil overconfident, i think i should restrict my enthusiasm a little.
  • Light bike, floats on highways at speed above 100 Kmph with just some mild crosswind. Right now i rate the himalayan better for a highway cruise.
  • Rider seat is really spacious even for my fat bum, offers lot of space to move around to shift the bum pain. They are very firm and comfy for short to medium rides, but definitely recommend getting down for a break after an hour or so,
  • Rear suspension I might wind down to soft by a notch. Will decide after the weekend-long ride to the hills.
  • Quick shifter on my bike is NOT working, threw an error and i have shown the image, and reported to service guys at Indira Nagar. They took details like when did it start coming and all and have in turn reported to KTM. And they were updating their OBD device with new software. I guess i will do a recalibration once this is done, usually that set's it right as per KTM forums for other other KTM bikes.
  • Giving me 31-32 kmpl with the carefree ride so far. Mostly light traffic and highway. This week true color of Bangalore traffic effect should show.
  • Fan is very mild compared to the Tiger and even the first-gen Duke, people complaining really doesn't know what "thighfry" is.
  • Rear brake pedal is adjustable for toe reach, has two holes where the front flat pedal bit can be moved.
  • Gear lever on the other side is far off, so people with shorter feet will have an issue and will have to move the feet fully forward to shift.
  • Handlebar risers are a must for people like me 5'10" ish or it becomes super inconvenient and painful to ride standing up for long. Challenge is... need to figure out the cable and pipe lengths. From the looks of it, max 1" is what is possible, i would prefer at least 2".
  • People worried about offroad ABS switching Off at restart, use the shortcut key to keep it handy. So with just two clicks you get it back on.
  • When the road gets bad, egs: hennur road towards airport, flat out is the best option on this bike.
  • The windshield has started mild rattle (known issue) need to fill it will some small bits of double side tape.
  • Brakes have started squeaking, again known issue and says sandpaper the pads. But am ok with this.
  • Removed the saree guard and its about 1.5 Kgs! Held on with 3 bolts.
  • Moved the windscreen to the higher position, helps reduce wind buffet on the helmet. But otherwise, it is darn noisy wind once you cross 90 Kmph.
  • Friend was riding with his tiger and when we swapped bikes, I (moving from 390 adventure to Tiger) felt like i just moved from the top of a lawnmower / grinder to a smooth and silky electric motor. The engine was heated up and that oil loses all its oomph when hot. I strongly believe it is a mineral brew from the factory.

For me right now this feels like a perfect fit for my office commute and trucking it to further ends of this country. A hooligan version of the X pulse, a DAMN expensive version and WITHOUT A FRIGGING Adjustable suspension! Which i am already missing! Stiff for the road but not loaded enough for offroad, can easily bottem it out. Damn you KTM!

ps: My comparison ane expectations will have lot of influence of the larger Tiger XRX i have been used to so far.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2020 at 07:49. Reason: Check RP
Jaggu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 12:16   #673

Hi. This is my first post here on the forum, and I would like to start with the delivery of my KTM 390 adventure. I got the bike's delivery last Friday. Just completed 150 kms over the weekend, which was mostly in the city.

Here are my initial preliminary observations (these are my personal novice observations):

Pros:-
1. The ride felt relatively very comfortable (relative to my earlier ride which was the KTM RC 390).
2. The handlebars are wide, and the forearms are not at all loaded (felt almost weightless).
3. The throttle response was smooth, compared to the earlier generation's Duke/RC.
4. Really comfortable to stand on the footpegs, and ride over potholes, bad stretches of roads.

Cons:-
1. There is some squeaky noise from the front brakes when braked hard.
2. Slight vibrations on the front windshield.
3. The lower RPM feels very erratic (3-4k). I'm used it though coming from the RC

I'll share more on the bike, once I clock some decent kms on it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-ktm390adv.jpg  

Kakashi91 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:39   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post

On a side note, the leaflet that I got from KTM states fuel octane as RON 91. Have they remapped the ECU for our quality of fuel or what ?
I've been receiving a number ranging between 32 - 35 kmpl. This includes city + highway riding. I am sure 40 kmpl on the trip computer at least should be achievable if ridden on highways for long. Tank range on every full tank on the display is over 400 km. While riding, it hits the reserve mark around 350 km, but that depends on individual riding style.

Have been using Shell V-Power so far.

Last edited by parrys : 24th February 2020 at 13:42.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:23   #675
Senior - BHPian

WOW! So many deliveries!!

Big Congratulations to all the new owners and wishing miles and miles of happy riding. This is been one very long wait and hope its worth every second.
From some of the very initial feedback on last couple of pages, it seems like a mixed feeling so far. A new bike always takes a while to settle down and our muscle memory to unlearn the old and learn newer positions. Also, most here have superior bikes such as v storms, multi-stradaS, versys, Tigers etc as their point of reference, hence hence setting the expectations way higher at sub-conscious level.

Quote:
I have been waiting more eagerly for his bike to arrive so i can steal it for a nice long trail test ride. Am sure he will be hiding from me for next few months, but hoping to catch him soon with a surprise and hijack his 390adv. Comparisons with GS310 will be inevitable as there aren't much options there, but for any one who is not after the BMW brand, the 390adv makes for a better practical choice. Good part is that a lot of BHPians have got the bike so we can except an ownership soon with genuine experience for all to benefit.
nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed