Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:05   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I own a 2019 Duke 390, bought it for occasional highway rides and have done only one till now. My observations of Duke 390 are very similar to what you have experienced. The gearbox still has not improved (clunkyness) after 4500 kms so I bet yours will do any better..
I rode a 2014 duke done 55,000 kms so far with no engine work ever, for the past 6 months. The gear box is as soft as my versys, so soft that I have to take a look at the console to see if the gear has shifted.

Do remember that gearbox clunkiness has many factors that contribute, shift lever adjustment, clutch adjustment, engine oil quality etc. my versys would shift clunky if the shift lever adjustment was tampered with by someone. I would have to readjust to make it soft and smooth again.

I am waiting to drop fresh oil into this before I experiment with above in case the gear shift is still notchy. Have already adjusted the lever to fit my boots and will play with it further.

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd March 2020 at 16:07.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:06   #722
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I don't think I will buy anything from him. I hate that handle bar. Looks terrible. Sorry, but it is what it is. I also like the existing grab rail and I would just like to add a rear rack to fit a tail bag or top box to keep the weight down and the style simple.
Since when did looks started mattering on a adventure bike? A single piece taller handle bar is a much better option then introducing more fatigue points by using aftermarket risers, especially on an adventure bike where one would be doing a lot of circus standing and holding that bar.
Quote:
Happy to report nasirkaka's erstwhile versys just gave 30.xx on a comfortable highway cruise recently
What are you feeding her? I never got more than 18-19 as per the console. Do remember doing tank to tank measurements a few times with figures around 20-22, but never beyond that. May be the engine is just settling in.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:10   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Since when did looks started mattering on a adventure bike? A single piece taller handle bar is a much better option then introducing more fatigue points by using aftermarket risers, especially on an adventure bike where one would be doing a lot of circus standing and holding that bar.
I don’t like how it looks, and I will be staring at it all day long. I know you like it, so you have it fitted on your interceptor

I like how the stock bars look, it’s clean and has a good rise. Will just drop risers on once I get around to checking slack this weekend.

Rest of his stuff, I need to have a look at them before I can comment any more.

I like how the bike looks as is, and would prefer to keep my bike clean, with just a top box and aux lights added with the least protrusions.
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:28   #724
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I don’t like how it looks, and I will be staring at it all day long. I know you like it, so you have it fitted on your interceptor
You are wrong as i also donot like that handlebar for the way it looks. I have it on the interceptor out of lack of available options purely from functional point of view. I wanted to get the seating geometry as upright as possible, and that is what was easily available.

Quote:
I like how the stock bars look, it’s clean and has a good rise. Will just drop risers on once I get around to checking slack this weekend.
stock 390 adv bars are hydro-formed with a variable cross section, a much advanced process for superior stability as compared to convectional handlebars made using regular tube with NC or CNC bending. if you want to keep it, Invest in 2" rox if you can, for two pivot point adjustablity. Will come handy incase you want to use aftermarket windscreens later as conventional uni-axis fixed risers have a tendency to interfere with aftermarket windscreens on extreme left and right turn. Much more so if you install barkbusters with rigid aluminium spine. Most of the aftermarket windscreen manufacturers design as per stock handlebar and do not factor in raised handlebar position. Two pivot point risers increases the fitment flexibility.

Quote:
Rest of his stuff, I need to have a look at them before I can comment any more.
Have seen a few of their products for other bikes and the quality seems at par with Zana.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 3rd March 2020 at 16:38.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:58   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah man, i need to unhook the cables and check slack before ordering 2 inch risers. I feel two inch might be too tight a fit. Rox does not do 1 inch.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 19:40   #726
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yeah man, i need to unhook the cables and check slack before ordering 2 inch risers. I feel two inch might be too tight a fit. Rox does not do 1 inch.
The clutch cable is more or less generic, I'm using TVS yoke and lever complete set with Bajaj cable so that is that. You could contemplate alternatives, the Avenger ones being the longest IIRC.

Only concern is the wiring harness and brake line, wiring usually extends to way over 2 inches if you undo the stays, in my P220 it extends well over 5 inches.

Finally comes the brake line, again you're at an advantage as its coming from the ABS unit and not the front rotor hence presents some leverage.

The KTM handlebar and holders are unique in the sense that they're tappered and thicker at the center, so the best bet would be to invest in a brand new handlebar or scrap the stock holder and get the Dominar(Visually identical mounting) holder as it accommodates regular bars, which would open up options for you to try.

Adapters and risers are simply not the right means to get the job done, especially since our market has a reputation of quality concerns when it comes to fasteners and irrespective of quality, leverage isn't your friend on a motorcycle ridden hard.

Here's a picture of the Dominar Holder with Himalayan bars in place, sorry for the picture quality;

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-whatsapp-image-20200228-12.26.56-pm.jpeg

The Dominar bar will give you some raise, the Himalayan bar would give you even more raise.

EAST OR WEST OEM FITMENT IS THE BEST! (Even if its from other manufacturers )

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 3rd March 2020 at 19:50.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 11:50   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was asking around in the local motorcycling community about the Adv 390 test ride and the good news is that the bike is / was available at the nearby KTM showroom for test rides. The bad news is that test rides are not being given for everyone. The sales folks first determine if you are a "genuine buyer" or not and then will proceed to give you a test ride . There have been cases of test rides being denied by the KTM showroom to members of the motorcyclists community here in Cochin. Let me go and see if I pass the "genuine buyer" test and if I can sample the bike on the road.
I got the TD vehicle from KTM Vytilla. Seems going in a Ducati helps.

They were not really happy to give for a longish ride and advised to keep ride short to 2 Kms , till Manorama junction.

But we had a 10 Kms ride. Not that it gives full perspective, I've mentioned my feedback in above post : My Views (KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Ram sir and other senior BHPians who have brought the 390 adventure. What would you say makes a better sense for touring with a pillion, the 390 adventure or a pre worshipped Kawasaki Versys 650? I am talking in terms of overall ride,handling, comfort and also maintenance aspects. Per day travel distance being 600kms plus. Per annum running around 15k kms.
No two doubts, pre-owned V-strom, if you can find one.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th March 2020 at 15:23. Reason: edited
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:12   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Do remember that gearbox clunkiness has many factors that contribute, shift lever adjustment, clutch adjustment, engine oil quality etc. my versys would shift clunky if the shift lever adjustment was tampered with by someone. I would have to readjust to make it soft and smooth again.
Could you elaborate a little on what exactly do you mean by shift lever adjustment. My understanding till now is that the only adjustment possible is the angle which in turn has only ergonomic advantages. How does it help the shifts become smoother?
Old 4th March 2020, 13:42   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
Could you elaborate a little on what exactly do you mean by shift lever adjustment. My understanding till now is that the only adjustment possible is the angle which in turn has only ergonomic advantages. How does it help the shifts become smoother?
The angle is what i am talking about. It does affect how smoothly the gear box shifts as well.

Proof is in the pudding. Try it out in your mojo. Preferably lower than higher.

But remember, tons of other things contribute too out of which this could be just a small factor. Clutch play, chain slack, oil quality, or even a dry chain.

Just adjusting this one thing might not be of any use unless you ensure everything else is perfect as well.

And most importantly a little bit of technique.

Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 15:24   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the better ownership reviews on YouTube.

Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 16:29   #731
BHPian

He lost me when he said he hit his bashplate against the footpath or something and immediately decided this bike is not meant to do that kind of "silly stuff". I mean half the point of buying a bike like this is to be able to do things that would be stupid on other bikes.

I've dented headpipes, bent brake pedals, chipped the engine case, almost broke the drain bolt and things like that doing "silly stuff" on roadbikes. But these kinds of bikes with more ground clearance are supposed to give you a lot more leeway when the going gets silly... as long as you know not to stay on the seat when the suspension compresses.

Also surprises me how common the opinion is that riding offroad is all about jumps and slides and things like that.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 4th March 2020 at 16:31.
drt_rdr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 17:45   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately happens when you watch too many YouTube videos at home. You build these belief systems in your head. And then begin living by them.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:55   #733
BHPian

Though leaving the off road stuff out since I don't know enough on the subject and the rear suspension being stiff which I haven't noticed. I would echo every other point. He paints a pretty good picture of what to expect from the bike in terms of pros and cons.
Old 4th March 2020, 20:00   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
He lost me when he said he hit his bashplate against the footpath or something and immediately decided this bike is not meant to do that kind of "silly stuff". I mean half the point of buying a bike like this is to be able to do things that would be stupid on other bikes
I think it was his mistake. He jumped the footpath and there was a stone underneath which his bash plate came in contact with.

If/when you jump a curb/footpath aren’t you supposed to see if there is adequate clearance below the bike? I feel from what he said (without actually seeing it) if the stone wasn’t there the bike would have cleared it. It’s like going over a speed breaker at speed and complaining your ground clearance is not enough. I hope you get my drift.

Please listen to the same part in the video again and share your thoughts.

Cheers
Old 4th March 2020, 21:02   #735
Senior - BHPian

Most reviewers complan about poor low end torque and bike stalling in initial gears. That would be an issue during commuting in city traffic and off roading, especially off-road inclines. Love Himalayan for the low end torque, seems we cannot get the best of both worlds with a short stroke motor. Hope there will be some modification available.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks