Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Anand Mahindra: Jawa Motorcycles could be first major threat to Royal Enfield Bullet

A divided house of opinions. Agreed we are in a democracy and hence everyone is entitled to their views. What we , as a members of a community of like minded individuals think , is , of course not relevant to the larger commercial interests of a corporate group like Mahindra. The pressure on Mahindra to deliver a product which is a commercial hit would be enormous.

As the saying goes " one swallow does not make a summer ", patronage by nostalgic enthusiasts would not make this launch a commercial success for Mahindra. Indian motorcycle market is still dominated by those individuals who think in terms of monthly EMI's , mileage and ease of maintenance. If Mahindra scores with a motorcycle that ticks all those boxes with added good styling , then this effort is sure going to be a commercial success.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 13:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Anand Mahindra: Jawa Motorcycles could be first major threat to Royal Enfield Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Indian motorcycle market is still dominated by those individuals who think in terms of monthly EMI's , mileage and ease of maintenance.
Apparently, for many, none of these is a factor while purchasing an RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
As the saying goes " one swallow does not make a summer ", patronage by nostalgic enthusiasts would not make this launch a commercial success for Mahindra.
Agreed, but if Mahindra wants a piece of the action from Indian 2-wheeler segment, they still need a helping hand (even if it were to be an erstwhile brand like Jawa or any other).
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:27   #18
BHPian

Re: Anand Mahindra: Jawa Motorcycles could be first major threat to Royal Enfield

The way I see it, the only way Jawa can do any good is if they put the 300cc mojo mill into a body that harkens to the old 350's design, but has vitals from 2018. A plush 300cc street bike a la Bonneville. I dont know how reliable the Mojo's are, mostly because the abysmal numbers the bike managed to pull.

Maybe their buddies up at Pinninfarina can contribute to the design.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Anand Mahindra: Jawa Motorcycles could be first major threat to Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
The way I see it, the only way Jawa can do any good is if they put the 300cc mojo mill into a body that harkens to the old 350's design, but has vitals from 2018.
First things first, though - Mahindra's priority will be to change the name JAWA to JAWO, since every name has to end in an O after the Scorpio success more than a decade and a half ago.
Steeroid is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 16:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
The way I see it, the only way Jawa can do any good is if they put the 300cc mojo mill into a body that harkens to the old 350's design, but has vitals from 2018. A plush 300cc street bike a la Bonneville. I dont know how reliable the Mojo's are, mostly because the abysmal numbers the bike managed to pull.

Maybe their buddies up at Pinninfarina can contribute to the design.
Well if the Czech product presently being sold is anything to go by, my suspicion is that it's likely to be an assembled Chinese motorcycle. The 4 - stroke Jawa presently sold in Europe is based on a Chongqing Shineray 400 (I think I spelt that right)!

Here is the complete details of the same (a la service manual).

Chongqing Shineray 400

What M&M really needs to realise is in the Indian 2 wheeler sector product is king and jugaad does'nt work. The two wheeler industry is pretty advanced in catering to every specific segment with thoroughly designed products. The competition is more cut throat than selling UVs and the customers have top notch choice.

They have targeted the right segment, RE with a very un-contemporary product facing little competition and benefiting from massive margins. So the intent is correct, but the application has to be spot on! I do not know what the right recipe for a RE rival is but a cut price operation relying on assembling chinese products is unlikely to cut it. Even a very thorough product like the Dominar is struggling, so it will not be easy.

Mahindra should take it's time and get it right first time. They just have one shot at this. If the brand and product fails in the first attempt it will be hard to get back into the market, let alone compete with RE.

Whatever it is that will wear the Jawa badge should be a genuine ground up approach and should stand out rather than mimic the rival.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 16:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you ever watch a WWF match there is a lot of sabre rattling before the match.

Both sides tell you how they are better, what they're going to do and why they will win.

The difference here is that there's one guy sabre rattling.

And the other guy's gonna win.
AMG Power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 18:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Jawa 350 and 400 are indeed Shinray from China.

They will be bringing the 2-wheeled equivalent of the Mahindra E2O electric car(t).
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:07   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Jawa day announced:

Anand Mahindra: Jawa Motorcycles could be first major threat to Royal Enfield-jawa.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd July 2018 at 11:09.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
My 2 cents,

1. The engine, which is supposed to power the Jawa is not the same as the Mojo's.
It's a 400cc lump, which has it's origins in China (Shinray).

2. Going by Mojo's pricing, an RE Electra/CL350 rivaling pricing is difficult (Given that the Jawa will have a larger engine and Nostalgia tag).
It may not be of any serious threat to RE, due to the price factor alone.
It is, at this point in time, speculation at best on what engine is going to be offered on the Indian product. Even though Europe is being offered the Chinese engine, it is definitely not necessary that the same should come into India too. Reports have suggested there will be local production involved, so why would they import engines from China or setup a new assembly line for these engines when they already have the mojo mills being built in India?
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:35   #25
BHPian

CNN IBN has posted an image of the Jawa with a hideous faring in the front that looks completely out of place in a legendary motorcyle like Jawa. I hope this doesn't make it to production.

Image Source: https://www.news18.com/news/auto/ind...ef=hp_ht_pos_7
Attached Thumbnails
Anand Mahindra: Jawa Motorcycles could be first major threat to Royal Enfield-jawa.jpg  

veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Is it going to be labelled Jawa or Yezdi? While many know brand Jawa, Yezdi is something which everyone love calling it.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 10:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

I only hope Mr. Mahindra has the insight to realize that its NOT just the Nostalgia as the main USP of Royal Enfield ..

.. but it's more to do with the MACHO / LIFESTYLE image and yet practical and affordable enough for daily COMMUTE, that is making it (RE) scale new sales heights.

Last edited by payeng : 6th July 2018 at 10:55.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Jawa a threat to Royal Enfield? No way. They'll need to pull off some kind of a miracle to achieve this.

They were never a threat back in the day too. Royal Enfield was the preferred choice by most. The taller stance, the smooth 4 stroke thump, more sturdier nature was the reason Enfield had an edge.

To Yezdi/Jawa's credit and as a owner of both motorcycles today (In the caring hands of FM tharian), I will say that the Czech had very simple mechanical design, right down to the engine. I have seized my Roadking (No longer own one) multiple times and for some reason, the piston never welded itself to the bore. Snapped your clutch cable? No worries. The play on the gear lever acts as the clutch itself. None of this applies today and not to any modern motorcycle. However; it was the simplicity of working on these motorcycles that mechanics always spoke about. There is also a different kind of joy to riding a two stroke motorcycle.

Looking at Jawa's modern iteration of the 350 (2 stroke), I am glad that it sounds identical to the 350 from 3 decades ago and also starts in one go. Will it be enough to draw customers? I doubt.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th July 2018 at 11:25.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:23   #29
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant for a legendary marque like Jawa to return back to India. However, if it is going to end up only as a logo on some Chinese unpronounceable heap of junk then Mahindra is going to destroy what is left of their diminishing goodwill.

Look at Royal Enfield for that matter. They didn't make a great motorcycle with their new UCE engines. Although it may be modern, in terms of reliability it is still questionable when compared to its cast iron ones. But there were takers for it and it is a huge success as we know and get to see it.

Jawa should take the same approach. Develop an engine from in house, tease it to the public, tease the motorcycle, display a prototype, create the hype and then go for the big day.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jawa day announced:

Attachment 1777592

This reminds me of how Royal Enfield hijacked the Rider Mania, which was once hosted by a bunch of bullet enthusiasts.
jeeva is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed