Team-BHP - TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   TVS' best-seller : The XL 100! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/199712-tvs-best-seller-xl-100-a.html)

Like the popular Maruti ad, where the kid, a bit mischievously explains to this father that he cannot stop playing because his Maruti’s petrol ‘Khatam hi nahi hota’, the indefatigable TVS XL’s sales figures also ‘Khatam hi nahi hota’.

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-sales.jpg

Astonishingly, not only does TVS still sell a moped, but that moped - the XL 100 family - in the month of May, outsold every other TVS on sale today. Looking back at the sales figures for the last few months, the story is the same. And probably has been the same for years.

It is as if somewhere in India, Maruti is still churning out thousands of SS80s everyday. Not that I have would have minded that!

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-mopedsales.jpg

TVS sells and has been selling around 75,000 mopeds a month, close to 850,000 a year, and sales have shown no signs of decreasing.

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-newtvsxlcolourspecificationsfeaturesimages1091510220457.jpg

These XL’s are powered by a 99.7 cc four-stroke engine, which produces 4.3 bhp and a useful 6.5 Nm of torque. Even though they weigh around 80 kg, they have a payload rating of 130 kg, useful for the farmer to carry his produce. Features include a detachable rear seat (for more loading area), easy kick-start, BS-IV compliant engine and a stainless steel brake cable.

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-newtvsxlcolourspecificationsfeaturesimages2091510220448.jpg

Price?

TVS XLs are priced at around Rs 32000 ex-showroom, much cheaper than say a Honda Activa, by about Rs 13,000.

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-page3-082.jpg

TVS had launched the TVS 50, way back in 1980-81, TVS first foray into two-wheelers. Almost 40 years later, the 2018 XL looks pretty much the same. To know more about the 50, Teambhpian anjan_c2007 had written a beautiful thread about this 1983 TVS 50, here's a link to that thread.

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-mail_32.jpg

The TVS XL seems like a hark back to an India which we have already progressed from. The 80s India, the India of few choices, meagre disposable income, license raj and a somnolent economy. But its success forty years later also serves as a powerful reminder of the massive economic disparity of India. It reminds us that even though a part of India has moved onto a better standard of living (and more expensive bikes and cars), the vast majority of India - the India where 50 percent of households which still depend on agriculture and 90 percent of the labour force work in the unorganized sector - still consider the humble TVS XL a pride of their garage.

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-tvsmoped607x435.jpg

This is really a Legend. I remember my school days and one of my friend's had a TVS 50. It used to really pull and with the low slung body it was a joy to dive into turns with it. I never had one but still have a lot of respect for the ride.

Around the time I was deciding on getting a scooter for work I had my heart set on the TVS XL50, the 100 hadn't come out yet in 2015. I had my heart set out for it until I test rode the TVS Wego, man! the updated TPS really got me.

Back then I was one of the very limited few who would tour on a 100cc motorcycle or scooter, now times have changed, even today I saw a motorcyclist club riding around and among the big motorcycles there was a Bajaj M80, I believe that the time is near that we'd see enthusiasts touring the country on the barebone TVS XL 100.

Kudos for TVS for bringing this to the Indian consumer!

P.S. If TVS Officials are watching, do know that there are a few(me! me! me!) of who'd be willing to do a K2K on the TVS XL 100 (evil smirk) :D

Well, we have an ownership review of TVS XL 100 right here on Team-BHP:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-review.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by avishar (Post 4422452)
Like the popular Maruti ad, where the kid, a bit mischievously explains to this father that he cannot stop playing because his Maruti’s petrol ‘Khatam hi nahi hota’, the indefatigable TVS XL’s sales figures also ‘Khatam hi nahi hota’.

Astonishingly, not only does TVS still sell a moped, but that moped - the XL 100 family - in the month of May, outsold every other TVS on sale today. Looking back at the sales figures for the last few months, the story is the same. And probably has been the same for years.

Even in urban areas, small business owners like newspaper vendors, local hotels with delivery service and even my milk delivery guy trusts the TVS XL. Those wanting to carry heavy loads can get it in dual rear shocks configuration as well.

The TVS XL on its own is very nondescript and can be parked anywhere. It's a no nonsense utility bike that will never fail you. Just the numbers in 2018 tell us that no other vehicle comes close in terms of utility in this segment. Further, its cheaper than even the Activa, which in itself is considered as a work horse.

Satha Sivam wants to add that the TVS XL 100 now comes with an electric starter & USB charging (source = official website). Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4423418)
Satha Sivam wants to add that the TVS XL 100 now comes with an electric starter & USB charging (source = official website). Thank you!

The new electric starter also is very unique. It is the only such system in any Indian 2 wheeler. The XL 100 iTouch does not have any starter motor!

It has something called an ISG (Integrated Starter Generator), similar to a simplified version of the same used in Maruti's SHVS system (Ciaz SHVS, etc.).
The magneto acts as a motor and rotates the crank to start the engine when the ES is pressed, rest of the time it acts as a generator to charge the battery.

Excellent thread. TVS XL is a winner no doubt. I happen to go to a lot of tier 2 towns & rural markets. The TVS XL is a superhit there because of the following reasons:

-It is very reliable.
-It is very frugal as far as the FE goes.
-The rear seat comes off & doubles up as a load carrier.
-The front platform is wide enough as well to load even more stuff.
-It is much cheaper than any automatic scooter.

The delivery people prefer this vehicle over any other since it can be taken into any small gully which are in abundance in India and that with load on it.

Cheers,

Pawan

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4423418)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpanguha (Post 4423773)
The new electric starter also is very unique. It is the only such system in any Indian 2 wheeler. The XL 100 iTouch does not have any starter motor!

It has something called an ISG (Integrated Starter Generator), similar to a simplified version of the same used in Maruti's SHVS system (Ciaz SHVS, etc.).
The magneto acts as a motor and rotates the crank to start the engine when the ES is pressed, rest of the time it acts as a generator to charge the battery.

They seem to have removed the model from their website;

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-untitled.jpg

I was able to find it yesterday at the bottom of the list and today when I thought I'd send my friend a link for the same it seems to have dissappeared. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinprakas (Post 4423936)
They seem to have removed the model from their website;

Attachment 1778035

I was able to find it yesterday at the bottom of the list and today when I thought I'd send my friend a link for the same it seems to have dissappeared. :Frustrati

True that! However the direct link still works....
Here you go: https://www.tvsxl.com/itouch.aspx

TVS XL was my first ride (borrowed) during college days, I had never ridden a motorcycle before and the ease with which it lets rider control was remarkable.
I had to tune my brain to ride Activa but not XL. Over the period TVS has kept this vehicle relevant - just noticed they have added USB charging options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBravo (Post 4423831)
The TVS XL is a superhit there because of the following reasons....

Plus, it still retains an (almost) all metal body, which is rapidly becoming a rarity in the scooter market. Even today, that does count for a lot as far as the 2 wheeler buying population in tier 2 towns and rural markets is concerned. :)

Cheers,
Vikram

Honestly, I was fantasizing about buying one of these a few years back for reasons I'm not entirely sure of...

Remove and re-do some of the stickering on a Black XL and it will look really sweet!

A lot of the Indian youth are into bikes -- but surprisingly 'Moped culture' isn't really a thing here - like it is in some places:

TVS' best-seller : The XL 100!-moped_1a.jpg

Pic source : Rebels Without A Hog: Inside Brooklyn's Moped Gang

I just saw the local LPG cylinder delivery guy carrying 5 cylinders on his XL (with a specially modified carrier)!

This is simply an awesome machine! Thinking of getting one for the city commute once my 13-year old Pulsar gives up (though that is going strong too!)

Was initially sad that the Navi had stopped sales, but who the heck needs the Navi when we have the XL!

A very reliable, efficient workhorse. I feel it lost out on more adoption by the city crowd due to a perception problem.