Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2018, 12:05   #16
BHPian

Re: AHO-LED high beam menace

I was waiting for a thread like this ever since the AHO feature was announced!

Majority of two-wheeler riders have their headlamps on High Beam by default all the time. Earlier, others had to face the glare only when they switched their headlamps on, but now thanks to the AHO feature, it is going to be High Beam Central all day long! And as more vehicles with this feature pour on to our streets, the situation is only going to get worse.

Edit: Maybe, the increasing High Beam menace will attract enough attention in time to come and might serve as an opportunity to enforce proper headlight etiquette.

Last edited by sidhu_hs : 7th July 2018 at 12:28.
sidhu_hs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 12:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
On the other hand, I hear that in rural areas of North Karnataka, people are actually adding a switch to the headlamp to disable the AHO. Let me see if I can get a pic somewhere
I think the mindset (especially since you mentioned rural areas) for doing this must be because they think the AHO lights might increase fuel consumption since the lights are always on. I doubt if it is because of any love or regard for your fellow road users.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 13:45   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I have noticed that apart from the OEM led lights, bikes; especially bullets are fitted with bright Chinese auxiliary lights either on the crash guards or besides the headlights. Since it's aftermarket, the beams and bulbs are not aligned perfectly and blinds the oncoming traffic.
Low mounting height + badly designed throw make the combination worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I think the mindset (especially since you mentioned rural areas) for doing this must be because they think the AHO lights might increase fuel consumption since the lights are always on. .
Yes, it is becuase of perceived FE. But end result is what I am looking at

IMO, DRL / AHO is not required in our conditions. This feature seems a blind copy from countries where it is required.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 13:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, DRL / AHO is not required in our conditions. This feature seems a blind copy from countries where it is required.

I find I notice two wheelers with AHO quicker in the rear or side view mirror of my car while driving, especially if they are speeding up to overtake. In that respect, the AHO does serve the purpose. Its the bad design of the reflectors when combined with LED bulbs that causes the issues.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th July 2018 at 16:56. Reason: quote fixed
rideon74 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 07:39   #20
BHPian

No doubt these new LEDs are quite the menace. I think the authorities should direct the manufacturers to implement a mechanism such that the headlights always start in low beam mode by default. Knowing that the majority of the riders don't even know howto flip between the high beam and low beam we should see a simple solution to the menace.
coldice4u is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 10:19   #21
BHPian

A cheaper alternative to having automatic light sensing headlamps could be to incorporate some sort of annoying beep (like the ones for side indicators) once you switch to high beams. The beep should go off automatically above a certain speed after a few seconds of time delay (say after about 10 seconds once the speed exceeds 60 or 70 kmph) so that you can use it on high ways.
This way, people cannot ignore the fact that they are on high beams. Of course, at highway speeds, the onus of switching to low beams for on coming traffic will again lie with the driver.
SCORPION is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 10:20   #22
BHPian

+1

I always thought Dominar was the issue - I have been blinded couple of times even in reasonable daylight.

I am yet to come across the Activa 5G - This being a bigger danger because of its sheer numbers
Old 8th July 2018, 16:18   #23
Team-BHP Support

When the thread came out, I thought you guys are over-reacting. Have seen the Activa lights both at daytime and night - and they're barely capable of lighting up the road. Dominar is an altogether different story.

However- faced an Activa guy coming on a two lane road against me yesterday and realized that it is indeed extremely harsh on the eyes when pointed straight ahead. As the bike reached closer, the angle made it look weak again - but for a second, I was very much irritated, if not blinded.

Going by the numbers - this is going be a real menace very soon. Hope manufacturers resort to using seperate DRLs as in cars, rather than using AHO.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 16:39   #24
BHPian

The last couple of times, when I was blinded by Activa 5G, I thought it must be a cheap modification done by a local garage. Those lights are real killer even in day light especially if your windscreen is wet due to rain. I think the spread is too much as compared to Dominar. I am afraid, a lot many manufacturers may come up with these and make road lot more dangerous than making them safer.
Old 8th July 2018, 16:47   #25
BHPian

I predict a crackdown on aftermarket LEDs by cops in the near future (mostly for show, of course) just like they did earlier with very loud Bullet exhausts.

If you ever chat with the people who bolt on these retina-searing LEDs that flood oncoming traffic with light and ask them why, they'll patiently explain without any sense of irony that they do it because oncoming traffic blinds them in the first place.

It's like some kind of arms race.

I was considering adding some LEDs to my Duke, mainly for added visibility in traffic, and to aid in night-time driving - and I'll be sure to have them aimed and focused properly so as not to blind oncoming traffic. But now I think it's just a matter of time before the cops crack down on them and impound / seize any bike that looks like a motorized light show and end up on the news, so for now stock lighting it is.
marcussantiago is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 17:28   #26
BHPian

It's not that we are entirely new to having our eyes blasted with light from oncoming traffic.
How many people actually drive on low beams when high beams are not required or dip their beams for on coming traffic?
But there is something annoying with this white light that makes it extremely annoying. May be over a period of time, we as a species, have grown accustomed to bright yellow lights.
A few years down the line, we shall evolve and we shall no longer find white light annoying. That looks more likely to happen rather than hoping manufacturers will stop coming out with such thoughtless designs, or hoping that we will grow any more kinder to our brethren on the road.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 19:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Grabbing attention and causing discomfort are two different things. These LED headlights on high beam, are pinching to the eye on a bright sunny morning. This has been my experience with the Dominar which I shared on the Dominar thread as well.

While I am sure the riders might not be using the high beam deliberately, however they remain unaware of the glare and discomfort their lights are causing to the public. At night, the rider can see the blue light of the high beam on the console and the beam pattern on the road which will inform him/her to switch to Low. However, during the day, the rider goes as usual. Only if the rider makes it a habit to check the light switch every time they start their bikes, we can only hope.
Bud, spot on.
Simultaneously, we know the psyche of most low-end bikers. Ignorance is surely a component, and the next interesting part is deliberate. Attention grabbing, pseudomasculinity and mental retardation are definitely IN.
Best example, my times in Bhubaneswar!
The other crazy part of this act is on part of people driving some SUVs with those LED bars. Though some have the sense to cover and keep them at a lower angle, using them judiciously as per requirement, the main purpose is just to show off and intimidate traffic in their wake.
Driving manners at its worst, and an unpardonable act.
I will not regret being harsh on this for sure.

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 8th July 2018 at 19:54.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 18:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, I hear that in rural areas of North Karnataka, people are actually adding a switch to the headlamp to disable the AHO. Let me see if I can get a pic somewhere
Done this on my dad's Activa 4G. The AHO has been causing issues to the bike's electrical, twice it busted the speedometer light and even causes the high beam not to work at times. Hence disabled the AHO.

70-80% of the activa 5g's sold, the buyers don't adjust their headlight. Its my guess that the the factory setting of these 5G bikes are often left in the middle for the headlight tuning screw hence the light beam being thrown into our face.
Old 10th July 2018, 19:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

There definitely is a mechanism found in some cars & motorcycles where the high beam automatically dips to low it senses an oncoming vehicle; and back to high once in the clear. Not sure of the cost of implementation but this is an awesome solution IMO
Old 15th July 2018, 23:19   #30
BHPian

I have felt that the DRLs (the ones on the extreme edge) of Honda WRV and the led lights (led dim/bright lights) of Honda City current gen. top end extremely blinding and painful. I have not felt this issue with any of the other car models' led lights.

I have noticed problems with WRV DRLs only during day time. May be I am yet to see WRV in the night.
thamban is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed