Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2018, 16:56   #91
BHPian

Re: Lack of parking space inspired a midlife crisis. What motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukarsan View Post
Any recommendations??
I am in the same boat. There is a separate thread for helmets where you can get more recommendations -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post4479498 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet)

I am considering buying a helmet from https://ls2helmetsindia.com/ - provided I decide about the bike .
Old 2nd December 2018, 18:59   #92
BHPian

Re: Lack of parking space inspired a midlife crisis. What motorcycle should I buy?

A tiny-winy-small update:

My friend has a 10 year old Avenger 200. He loves it, and is well maintained. Well, as well maintained as possible . The only thing that doesn't work is the speedometer, but the plan is to match the speed with a fellow biker and peek at his speedometer. LOL.

Lack of parking space inspired a midlife crisis. What motorcycle should I buy?-img2128.jpg

To test waters, I borrowed it for the month of Dec. Brought it home last evening. Sitting on the bike to ride back home was a circus of sorts.

I had my back pack, lunch bag, gloves, pollution mask, helmet and phones (two of them) and my bluetooth headset in my hand. Kept the helmet on the bike. Put my mask and gloves in the helmet. Put the lunch bag in my back pack. Wore the backpack on the back. Put the phones in the pockets of my jacket. Sat on the bike. Put the bluetooth headset in the ear. Wore the helmet. Realized I missed the mask. Removed the helmet, wore the mask and wore the helmet. The bluetooth headset fell down. Removed the helmet, got down, picked it up and put it in the backpack. Now wore the helmet again. Finally wore my gloves and was all set. Phew!

It was fun riding back home. The bike is not great, but does the job perfectly well. A twin-cylinder would have been ideal. Also, I need to get the hang of finding the N.

I had started at 5pm, to avoid the peak traffic. Then took the Mrs and son on a fun ride. Mrs is happy. Still skeptical about the safety, but she won't be a showstopper.

The bike didn't start at one of the red lights. It was so easy for me to pull it to the side. It reminded me why a cruiser is best suited for me. I wish there is a 200cc-400cc crusier in the market which costs between 1L to 2L, with ABS (twin-cylinder is optional). Any such launch expected by Jan 19?

If I do ride the bike for Dec, will book a RTR200 in Jan 19. Else, will borrow from my friend whenever the urge comes up.

In the meantime, I have collected some riding gear. I have a proper leather jacket from the winters I spent in the US, will search for it if I am serious about continuing with the bike.

Lack of parking space inspired a midlife crisis. What motorcycle should I buy?-img2124.jpg
shifu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 20:21   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The only thing that doesn't work is the speedometer
My best guess is you need a Speedometer Cable for the speedometer to work.

Speedometer Cable| Avenger 220
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 21:49   #94
BHPian

Quote:
The bike didn't start at one of the red lights. It was so easy for me to pull it to the side. It reminded me why a cruiser is best suited for me. I wish there is a 200cc-400cc crusier in the market which costs between 1L to 2L, with ABS (twin-cylinder is optional). Any such launch expected by Jan 19?
Why not consider one of the newly launched Jawas? Sure, they're not exactly cruisers, but they are built for comfort, not speed.

The Jawa has a 300cc engine, ABS, and costs between 1-2 lakhs. It just seems to fit your requirements perfectly

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 21:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

I am 44 and I just bought a Bajaj Avenger 220 Cruise. Just had a midnight urge to buy a motorbike and did the research for a week. Ultimately for my age and once in a while riding pleasures the Avenger turned out to be perfect. It's easy on the pocket too.

At 1.2L on road in Bangalore with a 5 Yr 75k kilometres warranty and a 5 year third party insurance it was a good deal.

Did a 75 kilometers intercity trip today and it bought back memories of my college days.

It's supremely comfortable and gobbles up all the craters of Bangalore roads. It doesn't have the ABS yet but honestly I don't feel the need for it after having driven bikes without ABS in my college days. I think you connect more with the bike if it is pure and unadulterated.

Last edited by Traveler : 2nd December 2018 at 22:04.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:38   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
My best guess is you need a Speedometer Cable for the speedometer to work.

Speedometer Cable| Avenger 220
Yes, my friend was unable to source the cable locally in Hyd. Will ask him to check this out. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Why not consider one of the newly launched Jawas? Sure, they're not exactly cruisers, but they are built for comfort, not speed.

The Jawa has a 300cc engine, ABS, and costs between 1-2 lakhs. It just seems to fit your requirements perfectly

Cheers

Ah, I thought Jawa is synonymous with the RE types. The vibrations are something that you need to get used to. No? I honestly didn't think of it seriously. Will take a look now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
It doesn't have the ABS yet but honestly I don't feel the need for it after having driven bikes without ABS in my college days. I think you connect more with the bike if it is pure and unadulterated.
Congratulations on your new bike!! You bought it in a week? Wow, I wish I could take decisions so quickly.

I have mentioned this previously on this thread, I am not going to get a bike without ABS. Even if I never use ABS ever in the bike's lifetime (hopefully!), I am not budging from this requirement. I have seen/heard many instances where having a ABS would have avoided an accident. I have no interest in being part of such an instance.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 21:24   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I wish there is a 200cc-400cc crusier in the market which costs between 1L to 2L, with ABS (twin-cylinder is optional). Any such launch expected by Jan 19?
Hi Shifu, great thread since I too have somewhat similar specs tho I am looking for an iota more power. I will be opening a new thread soon on my own khoj.

From your last statement re bike between 1-2 L, I think you should look at the Jawa since it is low slung (765 mm seat height which is perfect for us shorties), has single channel ABS, decent power and torque and IMO would be good both for commutes and weekend drives (and perhaps even longer rides, why not). It is also pillion friendly and a mod or accessory of a back rest will make it real comfy for your wife. The first bike reviews should be out this month and if they are good then this should become a serious option.

Your borrowed ride, Avenger is in fact, also a good option from the POV of budget, seat height and looks. I believe it will also soon get single channel ABS so that requirement too will be sorted.

I have not ridden the Suzuki Intruder 150 but have heard good reports of it. It also has mirrored the looks of its much more powerful siblings. I believe it also has single channel ABS.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2018 at 21:40. Reason: compacted quoted post
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 17:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post

I have not ridden the Suzuki Intruder 150 but have heard good reports of it. It also has mirrored the looks of its much more powerful siblings. I believe it also has single channel ABS.

Yup, will keep an eye on Jawa.

Suzuki Intruder 150 is such an eyesore! I personally give more importance to function over form. But I still can't get myself to buy that bike.
shifu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 14:19   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Suzuki Intruder 150 is such an eyesore!
Yes, the Intruder seems to excite either love or hate I neither love or hate the vehicle but perhaps the design is a little overwrought for a 150cc.
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 16:04   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish there is a 200cc-400cc crusier in the market which costs between 1L to 2L, with ABS (twin-cylinder is optional). Any such launch expected by Jan 19?
The Hero Xpulse 200T is expected early next year. It looks really promising.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 12:33   #101
BHPian

Another interim update -

I am out of office for the rest of the month, so returned the Avenger to my friend today. I loved it! I am now more than ever inclined to get a cruiser .

Few things that I didn't like in the Avenger (please note this is a 10 year old bike) -

- No mid-range acceleration. The speedo wasn't working. So I don't know at what speed I was. But I was frequently hitting the deadend.

- Vibrations. Nothing very intrusive, but I would like something more smooth. On hitting the deadend, the rear view mirrors would dance like carzy.

- Brakes. The back brake is almost non-existent. Obviously, this is super dangerous. I fell thrice during my 15-17 days of riding just because of this reason. Twice I fell at stand still speeds because I lost my balance on applying front brakes on the slippery flooring in my office. The third fall was at 30-40kmph. I went into a turn too fast. No back brakes + gravel at the edge of the road = bike on the road. I luckily landed on my feet and didn't fall with the bike. Anyway, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger .

Thanks to my friend for sharing his bike with me for a month. I know he loves it to bits, and if I were him I would have probably not lent it to anyone.

I'll happily buy an Avenger once they launch one with the ABS in few months. In the meantime I noticed a Intruder at a parking lot today. It was black/maroon and didn't look too gawdy - something I can live with. What say?
Attached Thumbnails
Lack of parking space inspired a midlife crisis. What motorcycle should I buy?-img2158.jpg  

Lack of parking space inspired a midlife crisis. What motorcycle should I buy?-img2157.jpg  

shifu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 21:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Please take a test ride if the 2018 Avenger Cruise. I recently bought one and have been quite satisfied. The rear brakes are definitely weak but not too bad. The suspension is fantastic and the riding position is too good. The new headlamp can show a candle or two to even some car haeadlights. The mid range acceleration is really good. It pulls away quite neatly from 3rd gear and keeps pulling. I have the Cruise 220 model and I would really suggest that you try a new bike rather than a 10 year old one. Lot of things would have changed in this time.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 08:50   #103
BHPian

As a new Intruder owner, I'd definitely recommend the model. The looks aside, I feel this is loads better than the Avenger - comfort, handling and acceleration. I've been intending to put up a review on the forum, just haven't gotten around to it
ChevyTeddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another interim update -

I am out of office for the rest of the month, so returned the Avenger to my friend today. I loved it! I am now more than ever inclined to get a cruiser .

Few things that I didn't like in the Avenger (please note this is a 10 year old bike) -

- No mid-range acceleration. The speedo wasn't working. So I don't know at what speed I was. But I was frequently hitting the deadend.

- Vibrations. Nothing very intrusive, but I would like something more smooth. On hitting the deadend, the rear view mirrors would dance like carzy.

- Brakes. The back brake is almost non-existent. Obviously, this is super dangerous. I fell thrice during my 15-17 days of riding just because of this reason. Twice I fell at stand still speeds because I lost my balance on applying front brakes on the slippery flooring in my office. The third fall was at 30-40kmph. I went into a turn too fast. No back brakes + gravel at the edge of the road = bike on the road. I luckily landed on my feet and didn't fall with the bike. Anyway, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Hi Shifu - just bumped into your thread and didn’t get a chance to read all the posts. So apologies if I’ve missed a similar suggestion given by any other bhpian. With all the points seen in your post above, why don’t you try the new Dominar coming out in Q1 2019? It’s got all the things that you’ve quoted above. Please take a test ride once it launches and close the deal All the best and ride safe!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 16:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

Shifu - I was just surfing through the net and found out Bajaj is planning on adding ABS to avenger series. If you’ve liked the bike for its comfort, then wait and buy it when ABS is launched

Link: Motoroids
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks