Team-BHP - June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/200392-june-2018-two-wheeler-sales-figures-analysis.html)

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-1.-total-sales.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-2.-top-20.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-3.-top-20-table.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-4.-top-20-gainers.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-5.-top-20-loosers.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-6.-market-share-trend.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-7.-top-6-sales.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-8.-bottom-6-sales.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-9.-manufac-monthly-sales-trend.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-10.-manufac-sales-trend.jpg

PS:

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-11.-segment-sales-trend.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-12.-segment-sales-table-1.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-13.-motorcycle-vs-scooter-trend.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-14.-segment-typetable.jpg

--- x x x ----

Hero MotorCorp vs Honda 2 Wheelers
June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-25.-hero-vs-honda.jpg

Harley Davidson vs Triumph vs Kawasaki
June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-26.-harley-vs-triumph-vs-kawasaki.jpg

Model Level Sales with M-o-M Historical Details

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-15.-bajaj.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-16.-harley.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-17.-hero-motorcorp.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-18.-honda.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-19.-kawa-um-lohia.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-20.-mahindra-piaggio-re.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-21.-suzuki.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-22.-triumph.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-23.-tvs.jpg

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-24.-yamaha.jpg

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Activa - 292,294
All other scooters combined - 307,861
All other scooters (except from Honda) combined - 245,691

Activa, the grand daddy of scooters is beating every scooter from other manufacturers combined. Just amazing how successful Activa is. Amazingly it continues to be successful in the market even though it's not the best value scooter nor the one with best features.

Fz25 - 2088 units
Dominar - 1277 units. Every automotive journal judged dominar as the clear winner in the comparison, but sales chart indicate totally different picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_snk (Post 4436357)
Fz25 - 2088 units
Dominar - 1277 units. Every automotive journal judged dominar as the clear winner in the comparison, but sales chart indicate totally different picture.

Just FYI, these figures are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers so the actual sales may be different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_snk (Post 4436357)
Fz25 - 2088 units

Yamaha v/s Bajaj.

An upgrade to the FZ v/s a confused Pulsar trying to be a Bullet.

Cheapest 250 (That too Japanese) v/s cheaper cousin of three brilliant European machines.

There are many angles to look at it - but Bajaj has totally lost the plot with the positioning and marketing of the Dominar, even though they got the pricing and product spot on. It can even stand tall against the premium G310R at half the price, but unfortunately it might get outsold by the premium brand too.

Observing the Versys 650 dropping numbers in big chunks month on month and Vulcan S becoming the mainstay for Kawasaki.

Maybe the mid range adventure/sport touring bike market is limited and almost fully addressed by initial purchases. Something like what Jeep Compass is experiencing in Cars.

Versys 650 probably needs a bit of a price tweak which Kawasaki is good at doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 4436409)
Maybe the mid range adventure/sport touring bike market is limited and almost fully addressed by initial purchases.

If you notice the drop - it really started post the launch of the Ninja 1000. I'm not an offroader and much into adventure either - but a tourer rather - and must say that I would have been tempted to trade in some comfort for that beautiful inline4 motor, if I were in the market for one post the launch of the N1000.

If you don't need the offroad abilities and always had a dream of buying a superbike at some point - Ninja 1000 is the perfect allrounder, even though the Versys 650 is the more practical option of the two. No seat height issues to worry about either - however - in the long run the V650 is such a fantastic comfortable mile muncher that's hard to fault.

Some might argue that these are different machines - but a lot of cross shopping happens in India, especially among first time buyers.

There's only one machine that can rival both these machines - even more comfortable than a V650, while retaining the inline4 of the N1000 - and I just hope it makes a comeback, this time with the right price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4436420)
If you notice the drop - it really started post the launch of the Ninja 1000. I'm not an offroader and much into adventure either - but a tourer rather - and must say that I would have been tempted to trade in some comfort for that beautiful inline4 motor, if I were in the market for one post the launch of the N1000.

If you don't need the offroad abilities and always had a dream of buying a superbike at some point - Ninja 1000 is the perfect allrounder, even though the Versys 650 is the more practical option of the two. No seat height issues to worry about either - however - in the long run the V650 is such a fantastic comfortable mile muncher that's hard to fault.

Some might argue that these are different machines - but a lot of cross shopping happens in India, especially among first time buyers.

This thought too did occur to me as well but actually maybe NOT is what I feel.

The N1000 is more than thrice the distance in pricing 3.48L more(difference) away from the Versys 650 compared to the Vulcan S. (1.06L less) and the Z900 (1.18L more)

Both the Kawasaki showrooms that I visited had sales guys tell me that the Versys 650 sales were being cannibalized by the Vulcan S They actually recommend the Versys 650 though as they do not have enough Vulcan S to sell and there is a longer lead time.

The way I see it there are 3 segments
1) Cruisers - Vulcan - Entry level bike, a boon for shorter riders, the only sensible non Harley Cruiser option below 10L.

2) Pseudo (Due to the tyres mainly) Adventure / Sport Tourer - Versys. Most comfortable bike for India roads, good all rounder but tall.

3) Sport Bikes & Naked sport Bikes - Ninja 1000 / Z900 - For more experienced buyers for sure. Heart can call out for these. Almost super sport bikes. More aspirational.

Am leaving the category of real Super Sports out of this as they sell in low numbers

The Ninja 1000 while definitely a superb deal is still a clear class up in terms of price over the Vulcan and maybe a much more complex bike to handle. While many may be tempted to make the jump and get a "Litre" class bike, the Z900 is almost all the way there (while being naked) for all practical purposes at a much lower price point and feels like an even better deal compared to say the Ninja 1000; especially when we compare the relative 650 and 1000 cc variant prices for both.

Major numbers are coming from the below listed bikes.
Ex Showroom prices:
Vulcan S - 5.44L (1.06L less than Versys 650)
Versys 650 - 6.50L
Z900 - 7.68L (1.18L more than Versys 650)
Ninja 1000 - 9.98L (3.48L more than Versys 650)

I can clearly see the Versys is like the SUV of bikes and should in theory be the most desired vehicle, but I think the height is proving a negative for Indian riders as also the pricing. I am sorting out my vehicles right now and will pick up a bike in the coming months and versys is definitely in my top 4 options right now. It is the most sensible buy, but then I am tall and heavy so this works for me and most people are not so tall and below 5.9' it should be quite daunting and this removes the majority of the Indian audience. They then can look at either the Vulcan or the Z900 or the Ninja 1000, of these the Ninja 1000 is more or less 50% higher in price and this can result in the buyer switching to another brand as well in the process.

In any case Kawasaki is definitely taking the fight to the Harleys and should overtake them in about a year i.e. if they keep up their monthly new variant / model practice for next 9 months.

There are some interesting details hidden away in all these numbers and charts.

- The Bajaj V15 seems to be dying a slow death with the V12 being apparently discontinued. Now this is one motorcycle platform with which Bajaj got its advertising spot on but it hasnt translated to sales numbers. Will they try a V18 to give it a new lease of life? There is no harm in trying, right Bajaj?

- The Duke 250 with its glaring lack of ABS continues to be stuck in no mans land. Bajaj KTM obviously didnt want the D250 to cannibalize sales of the more expensive and dare I say, less practical 390, and hence kept the all important ABS off the options list.

- Hero seems to have dispatched 17 + 12 units of the Karizma in the last 2 months. I assume these must be display bikes and in line with the news that the ZMR has been relaunched.

- Im surprised Honda read the market wrong with the Navi and Cliq launches. On paper they were sensible offerings but I have no clue why they didnt succeed.

- Honda has been advertising the Africa Twin in some automobile magazines and the next round of deliveries have started recently as well. Im sure July's numbers will show a higher count of the very capable and updated Africa Twins.

- Honda pushed an amazing 14 Goldwings in one month! Wow, the Delhi ex showrrom price of the Goldwing is Rs 26,85,775 and for the Tour model it is even higher at Rs 28,49,975. The Kochi dealership sold 4 of them.

- Kawasaki's numbers got a nice little bump with dispatches of the N400 and N1000, I wonder how many of the N400s are actually against back orders. In the coming months the N300 and ZX10R will contribute to healthier sales figures. Now if only they fix their sales channel!

- How were the UM Lohia dealers managing for the last 6 months without dispatches from the company?

- Are the Triumph Triple numbers being reported correctly? They currently sell the S and RS but the sales figures show a base / non version model (that should be RS, right?) and a separate S model. Strange.

- The TVS N Torq seems to be picking up steam but the much lauded RR310 seems to be losing its momentum. I wonder if there are production issues or if demand has dropped. Any idea what the waiting period currently is for the RR310?

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 4436964)
- How were the UM Lohia dealers managing for the last 6 months without dispatches from the company?

Could be that the numbers were reported to AutoPunditz/SIAM only this month?

Quote:

- Are the Triumph Triple numbers being reported correctly?

Apologies for the error on my part. I haven't updated the charts correctly. Here are the correct figures for Triumph.

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-screenshot_20180731235943.jpg

Shall take care and update the same in the coming month sales threads onwards. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4436983)
Could be that the numbers were reported to AutoPunditz/SIAM only this month?

That was my initial reaction as well but I wasnt sure so I thought it was better to ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4436983)
Apologies for the error on my part. I haven't updated the charts correctly. Here are the correct figures for Triumph.

Attachment 1785753

Shall take care and update the same in the coming month sales threads onwards. Sorry.

Thanks for sharing, and I must say, I really appreciate all the effort that goes in behind the scenes for putting this all together for our consumption.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 4436858)
This thought too did occur to me as well but actually maybe NOT is what I feel.

After taking a closer look, I agree with you. :thumbs up

June 2018: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-screen-shot-20180801-1.13.02-pm.png

Quote:

- The Bajaj V15 seems to be dying a slow death with the V12 being apparently discontinued. Now this is one motorcycle platform with which Bajaj got its advertising spot on but it hasnt translated to sales numbers. Will they try a V18 to give it a new lease of life? There is no harm in trying, right Bajaj?

Average product driven by good marketing IMO. Without the whole Vikrant stunt, the product might have flopped right on its head in the market.

Quote:

- The Duke 250 with its glaring lack of ABS continues to be stuck in no mans land. Bajaj KTM obviously didnt want the D250 to cannibalize sales of the more expensive and dare I say, less practical 390, and hence kept the all important ABS off the options list.

Duke 250 is not VFM either! I was shocked when I heard the sales guy mention the price initially. Asked him how the 390 is providing so much extra kit for so less money, and he didnt even try to counter it - explaining that they are finding it hard to sell the 250 for this reason.

Quote:

- Honda pushed an amazing 14 Goldwings in one month! Wow, the Delhi ex showrrom price of the Goldwing is Rs 26,85,775 and for the Tour model it is even higher at Rs 28,49,975. The Kochi dealership sold 4 of them.

Dream bike for many - and unlike the Harley Davidsons and Indians - this one is ultra reliable as well! Bangalore dealer was successful with two deliveries, I believe.

Quote:

- The TVS RR310 seems to be losing its momentum. I wonder if there are production issues or if demand has dropped. Any idea what the waiting period currently is for the RR310?

Customers waiting for the G310R pricing? Many were expecting BMW to price it at a slight premium to the RR310.