Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 23:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: WB: License requirement for 2-wheelers greatly hampers sales

I guess another issue is being overlooked, is that unlike driving schools, there are very few riding schools (I haven't seen any).

One's who can afford it buy a new bike / scooter and pester friends / seniors to teach them. They start with no DL and after learning, pass the test and get their DL.
The one's not so lucky sneak a training ride or two on generous friends' bikes to master the art. Then they maybe buy / borrow a bike and get their license.

If Bangla govt sticks with this law, pretty soon we should see riding schools coming up and making good money by teaching people how to ride scooty / bikes.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 00:17   #17
BHPian

Not sure why people are hailing this move, owning a vehicle has nothing to do with riding it. You still need valid ID, Address proofs to register vehicle.

If you want to make such random rules, you should at least make RTO friendly to the consumer. Right now I think RTO is one of the most corrupt government office. There is no proper system, still filled with agents to do all the work. Just a couple of weeks back, people had license appointments but RTO servers were down in Gujarat for 4 days and no work got done.
Old 24th August 2018, 18:45   #18
BHPian

If the government does not do anything, it is slammed. If the government does something, the "whatabout-ery" begins, and it is slammed.

Look, if the driving license issue could have been tackled in another way, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN. The obvious options are:

1. Increase checking monitoring. Problem: Size of the force and workload. Our citizens are so jugaadu, and breaking the law has become such a part of our culture, that this will be a humongous task. Not just in India, even in the developed countries, if the citizens just ignore the rule of law and do what they want, the law enforcement forces will be helpless. Case in point- the street violence rule in London. Also, the cost and other challenges of increasing traffic police forces etc. are beyond the comprehension of most (if not all) of us. So, let's not just preach.

2. Actually, I can't think of option 2.

Look, just because this rule can also be circumvented does not mean it is ridiculous. There is saying in Hindi- Taale sirf sharif logo ko bahar rakhte hain, choro ko nahi (translation: Locks only keeps decent people away, not thieves). Thieves will continue to be thieves and be handled like thieves, but you do need locks in life even then, right ?! Can't say, "Locks? Oh great. But what about thieves?"

I don't think any of us wish the situation deteriorate to the extent seen in Bangladesh recently, where mobs of students were enforcing such rules. A stitch in time saves nine. Let this rule continue, and see what kinks need to ironed and probably after some time, remove it. But what requires a surgery should not be treated with a bandaid.

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 24th August 2018 at 18:57.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 18:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
Not sure why people are hailing this move, owning a vehicle has nothing to do with riding it.
For a 4 wheeler (some %), commercial or multi axle people / goods mover, what you said is mostly true.
However, for 2 wheelers, in most of the cases the person who buys also is the rider.

Actually, I am in a dilemma whether to call this a good or bad move.
On one hand, this move might ensure that only people holding valid licenses are able to ride a bike on road.
On the other hand - the first time leaner / buyer may face difficulties in getting initial learning lessons, as there is a dearth of riding schools in India.

Last edited by blackasta : 24th August 2018 at 18:53.
Old 24th August 2018, 19:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
For a 4 wheeler (some %), commercial or multi axle people / goods mover, what you said is mostly true.
However, for 2 wheelers, in most of the cases the person who buys also is the rider.

Actually, I am in a dilemma whether to call this a good or bad move.
On one hand, this move might ensure that only people holding valid licenses are able to ride a bike on road.
On the other hand - the first time leaner / buyer may face difficulties in getting initial learning lessons, as there is a dearth of riding schools in India.
It is the case for 2 wheelers, I sell 2 wheelers for a living.
Old 25th August 2018, 05:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I guess another issue is being overlooked, is that unlike driving schools, there are very few riding schools (I haven't seen any).

One's who can afford it buy a new bike / scooter and pester friends / seniors to teach them. They start with no DL and after learning, pass the test and get their DL.
The one's not so lucky sneak a training ride or two on generous friends' bikes to master the art. Then they maybe buy / borrow a bike and get their license.

If Bangla govt sticks with this law, pretty soon we should see riding schools coming up and making good money by teaching people how to ride scooty / bikes.

Few of my American friends who are MSF coaches/teachers get alot of Indians here in the Bay Area who are stunned that training exists. They now want to reach out and help in India since there is this lack of training which can save a rider and also provide skills you can never learn in everyday riding.
Old 28th August 2018, 13:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for my negative thinking. In my view, in long run, this manifests as one more line item in the Dealership price list while quoting the onroad price of the two/four wheeler.

The line item may read similar to "RTO - Driving License verification waiver fee"

In general, any new rule in India will manifest FINALLY as one line item in SOME PRICE LIST. Or people will directly pay the "Fee" to waive this Rule and get their Job done.

I am highly disgusted with all these new rules drama and "LINE ITEMS"
Old 29th August 2018, 22:07   #23
BHPian

I found it first hand last week when I went to a showroom to check out a bike. I don't have two wheeler license yet and thought I'll buy a ride first and then learn as I don't have any two wheeler in my family. Shocked to find that I can't buy one unless I have a license.

Whether it is a good move or not? Well it depends. It may be said that the move was made with good intentions but the moral is it's yet another case of govt intervention in one's personal life. And frankly speaking it's not going to stop people riding bikes without license by a large margin. Also, in case some of you are wondering if the same would be applied to car buyers, let me assure you that it can't be because in our country I believe more than 50% buyers are chauffeur driven, hence, the govt. can't force a buyer to hold a license to be eligible to book a car. Although these days different govt. are thinking they have the power to do anything they want.
Old 30th August 2018, 17:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I found it first hand last week when I went to a showroom to check out a bike. I don't have two wheeler license yet and thought I'll buy a ride first and then learn as I don't have any two wheeler in my family. Shocked to find that I can't buy one unless I have a license.

Don't driving schools in Kolkata have two wheelers? In Kerala at least, most driving schools train for two wheeler license as well. But then again, the licensing system in kerala is more stringent and one has to ride the pattern of a figure 8 which needs some training.

I am surprised by the drastic sales reduction numbers though as ours is a country where people who do not even know how to ride a bycycle can heavy vehicle license.
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:35   #25
BHPian

Some driving schools have two wheeler training facility but frankly speaking I don't need one because I can ride gearless scooter and to be honest I do ride it occasionally to carry out small errands in places where there is no cop. I just wanted a bike to get used to its gearing system and when you know how to drive it's just a matter of a few kms to master it. Problem is I don't have a bike. So I thought about getting one and then found this.
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:31   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Granny gifting a two wheeler to a non-license holder grand daughter? Better to stop her by hook or crook! Driving/riding a vehicle is not a right, it is a privilege that must come with a responsibility and should require minimum competence .This rule should be replicated in whole country.
I agree with you entirely, that a vehicle which has the potential to injure and kill people, should be limited in sale to those who agree to bear responsibility. If a granny wants to gift a moped, she can gift the money and ask the recipient to ensure adherence to norms and regulations.
However, some who have anti-government agenda and attitude may not be in agreement.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
...Another example - What if a blind entrepreneur want to buy motorcycles and run a rental service?

Or what if someone without a license want to employ driver for their own motorcycle?...

...There is already law for driving without license, why don't they enforce it rather than writing new laws?
1. The man - blind or not - cannot give personal registered motorcycle on rent. It has to be registered for a company with black plate and yellow numbers.

2. Driver for motorcycle??? That would be a first case in the country. Would the owner sit in the side-car? In that case, we should protest why the side cars are now banned (remember Sholay?)

3. Because entry point to motorcycles is far lower than that of car. This rule can have a far more impact on non-license holders than if it would have applied on car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
...A lot of grooms ask for vehicles as dowry, and while the whole practice is banned, it happens anyway, ...
New rules can't be expected to abide with a criminal action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
...I don't need one because I can ride gearless scooter and to be honest I do ride it occasionally to carry out small errands in places where there is no cop....
Riding a gearless scooter is quite different than a geared bike (for example there are many riders who can easily ride a scooter but can't master the gears of a motorcycle). Riding a scooter is natural after learning a motorcycle, but not vice versa. Also, if one causes accident, then not having license can be a serious criminal offense, not just a simple traffic violation offense. I hope you have a license for gearless scooters at least.

I fail to understand why 'learn something before you buy it' is so problematic. Judging by the numbers, evidently the government is on the right track. I know people who ride for 10 years and still don't have license. Not because they can't get it, but they don't care for it. This is sheer arrogance and it must be curbed.

Last edited by ani_meher : 2nd September 2018 at 12:23.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
New rules can't be expected to abide with a criminal action.
Need not be the criminal scenario at work here - Wife inherits her share, or users her salary to buy a bike for her husband to drive her around, and for anything else, but wants to keep it in her name to ensure she has something in her name and leverage.

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd September 2018 at 12:35.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 13:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Need not be the criminal scenario at work here - Wife inherits her share, or users her salary to buy a bike for her husband to drive her around, and for anything else, but wants to keep it in her name to ensure she has something in her name and leverage.
Replace the word 'bike' by gun. Wife wants to buy a gun for her husband, but in her name. Shouldn't she possess license?

We treat vehicles as assets or personal stuff, but they are really capable weapons, and many vehicles have killed people because of a wrong person at the helm. This is an extremely remote scenario, and not something that occurs so frequently to consider while framing the law. If she is so keen on gifting the vehicle and keeping it on her name, she is welcome to get license first before such action.

This is my last post on this whole gifting scenario.
Old 12th September 2018, 00:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Calcutta High court has passed a stay order on this rule till November.

Article in Bangla here: https://ebela.in/state/calcutta-high...-dgtl-1.862392

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks