Team-BHP - Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/201210-scoop-royal-enfield-650-twins-specs-leaked.html)

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked-img20180824wa0006.jpg

Royal Enfield had unveiled the Interceptor INT 650 and Continental GT 650 at Rider Mania 2017. Now, the service training manual for the 650 Twins has leaked revealing detailed specifications of the bikes.

Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked-img20180824wa0008.jpg

Both bikes measure 2,122 mm in length and have a wheelbase of 1,400 mm, while the seat height is set at 804 mm. The Interceptor 650 measures 1,165 mm in height, 744 mm in width and has a kerb weight of 202 kg. The Continental GT 650 measures 1,024 mm in height, 789 mm in width and weighs 198 kg. The fuel tank capacity of both bikes is 13.7 litres and 12.5 litres respectively.

Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked-img20180824wa0007.jpg

The 650 Twins are based on a double cradle frame with 41 mm forks in the front with 110 mm of travel and twin shock absorbers in the rear offering 87.5 mm of travel. The bikes are powered by a 648 cc, air-cooled parallel-twin cylinder engine that delivers 47 BHP @ 7,100 rpm and a peak torque of 52 Nm @ 5,200 rpm. Power is sent via a 6-speed gearbox with a slipper clutch. Brakes come in the form of a 320 mm disc in the front and a 250 mm disc brake in the rear, equipped with Bosch dual-channel ABS.

Royal Enfield is yet to announce the official launch date of the 650 Twins in India.

Link to Team-BHP News

202 kg Kerb Weight, all of 47 horses.

I suppose this would qualify as a leak, as nobody would want to advertise such figures in this day and age.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 4449856)
202 kg Kerb Weight, all of 47 horses.

I suppose this would qualify as a leak, as nobody would want to advertise such figures in this day and age.

Its quite easy to take a dig at RE - I can probably add another 10 to the above. But again, whats the point! Considering the Indian context specifically - do we have much better options at a similar price range?

Classic 500 made 27.2bhp and weighed all of 190kgs. Priced 1.7L. Street 750 makes all of 53hp and weighs all of 233kg. Priced 5.25L. Specs of the RE twin doesn't sound all that bad, and might slot right in between these two in terms of price too.

Not to mention the Interceptor is a beautiful motorcycle by any brand classic standards. RE might just pull this off, if - 1. They don't get too greedy with the pricing 2. Nothing falls off during test rides and 3. They dont make guinea pigs out of initial customers.

If nothing else - it will help establish a segment to interest Triumph and Harley to enter the space sooner.

I liked the bike overall. In promotional video they've repeatedly mentioned that this is going to be fun to ride motorcycle. The intent is clear, this much engine output is more than enough to have all the fun if everything else is set perfectly. I'm very much interested!!!

I'm sure some of you older people remember the Triumph T-120?

It is a 650cc, vertical twin, made from 1959-1971 and is perhaps, the benchmark of classic British motorcycles.

Some of its specifications may be interesting when compared with the Royal Enfield 650 Twin.

TRIUMPH T-120
Overhead valve twin cylinder, air cooled. Valves operated by pushrods.
Capacity: 649cc
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Power: 46 bhp
Fuel capacity: 4 gallons (British)
Gearbox: 4 speed
Tyres: 3.25 X 18" Front, 3.50 X 18" rear
Brakes: 8" diameter drum, front. 7" diameter drum, rear
Weight: 399 lb (181.03 kg) (with 1 1/2 gal fuel)

Wheelbase: 55" (1397mm)
Ground clearance: 5" (127mm)
Seat height: 31.5" (800mm)
Top speed: 110+ mph
1/4 mile acceleration performance: 14.6 seconds, 94 mph (151 kmph)

These values are not greatly different from the Royal Enfield 650 Twin so I would expect to see similar performance with the Royal Enfield.
Definitely enough to meet the average riding conditions in India and in the USA.

With ABS disk brakes and other modern improvements the RE seems like a winner to me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4449870)
Its quite easy to take a dig at RE - I can probably add another 10 to the above. But again, whats the point! Considering the Indian context specifically - do we have much better options at a similar price range?

My thoughts exactly. Royal Enfields aren't known for their QC and have recurring niggling issues. But are there any alternatives at this (rumoured) price point & with these specs ? Until Bajaj - Triumph partnership or Mahindra (Jawa / BSA) throw up a ~ 500 - 600 cc retro with decent power & torque figures and economical pricing , RE has on its hands here yet another golden goose, and I can see them laugh all the way to the bank.:)

Quote:

RE might just pull this off, if - 1. They don't get too greedy with the pricing 2. Nothing falls off during test rides and 3. They dont make guinea pigs out of initial customers.

If nothing else - it will help establish a segment to interest Triumph and Harley to enter the space sooner.
QC, I feel is still a big grey area with Royal Enfield. Could it be that the first few customers will indeed be Guinea pigs for improvements that Royal Enfield will later introduce in their models that follow? I hope that's not the case and the company sorts out their reliability and quality control issues before the bikes make it to the showroom - one can live with a little less 'Character' & 'Soul' (or for that matter 'Heritage' or 'Brotherhood'), but not reliability.

By the way it confounds me as to why liquid cooling hasn't been introduced for this engine? Being a large capacity parallel twin, this must generate a fair amount of heat ?

Cheers !

Quote:

Its quite easy to take a dig at RE - I can probably add another 10 to the above.

The point being?

Quote:

do we have much better options at a similar price range?

Has the price been announced?

Well, I really don't care about 47bhp "only" from a 650 twin. Been riding 44bhp crotch rockets, I have come to an understanding that 44bhp is more than enough for the road conditions and the enormous amount of road sense our people have.

I particularly like the CGT 650. CGT 535 itself was an impressive motorcycle with inadequate power being its biggest flaw. CGT 650 with almost double the horsepower will be extremely fun to ride.

And it is surprisingly similar to rc390 in seat height, length and even the wheelbase isn't much different.

I may even think of trading in my RC390 for it if it proves that it isn't another Himalayan
But seriously RE, 130 section tyres and halogen bulbs on a fast and flagship motorcycle?!!

I think the specs are just right - love the torque figure mentioned up there. Hope RE works its way in such a way that people no more talk about QC issues. If they price it at INR 3.18 ex-showroom, that's a winner in their hands - I may not wait for the upcoming Kawasaki Z400 :)

Fingers crossed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 4449933)

It is a 650cc, vertical twin, made from 1959-1971 and is perhaps, the benchmark of classic British motorcycles.

Some of its specifications may be interesting when compared with the Royal Enfield 650 Twin.

Well, one other motorcycle that is really close to the Interceptor in terms of specifications is the Kawasaki W650. The W650 was launched in 1999, and subsequently sold in various markets with slightly different specifications. Though the Interceptor and the W650 are separated by two decades, just take a look at how close their specs actually are -

Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked-int-vs-w650.jpg
*Interceptor will weigh 209 kg considering around 10 liters of fuel in it.

To me, the contours of the seat and the design of the tail is also much better executed in comparison to the Interceptor and hence makes the W650 look better.

Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked-103800kawasakiw6502006.jpg

But with ABS, fuel injection, relatively squarer bore X stroke ratio and a higher compression ratio, the Interceptor in all likelihood be more modern to ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 4450689)
Well, one other motorcycle that is really close to the Interceptor in terms of specifications is the Kawasaki W650. The W650 was launched in 1999, and subsequently sold in various markets with slightly different specifications.

Hello aravind.anand and all those keenly watching the Enfield 650 Twins,

I happen to have owned a 2001 W650 for a few years while living in the U.S., before selling it in 2004.

The bike looked exactly as in my profile picture.

As a big fan of the T120 ArizonaJim mentioned a few posts above ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4449933 ), I could never get myself to purchase one of the new Bonnevilles introduced in the late '90s. I absolutely hated the kink in the peashooter pipes.

The W650 arguably was closer in looks to the late '60s T120, and served me well.

It was comfortable on the freeway as well as the quieter county roads around the area I lived at the time - even two up - and had more than enough get up and go to get into trouble.

I'm keenly looking forward to test riding the Enfield Interceptor 650. Not sure how much fun it'll be in Mumbai traffic, though.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 4449933)

TRIUMPH T-120
Overhead valve twin cylinder, air cooled. Valves operated by pushrods.
Capacity: 649cc
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Power: 46 bhp
Fuel capacity: 4 gallons (British)
Gearbox: 4 speed
Tyres: 3.25 X 18" Front, 3.50 X 18" rear
Brakes: 8" diameter drum, front. 7" diameter drum, rear
Weight: 399 lb (181.03 kg) (with 1 1/2 gal fuel)

Wheelbase: 55" (1397mm)
Ground clearance: 5" (127mm)
Seat height: 31.5" (800mm)
Top speed: 110+ mph
1/4 mile acceleration performance: 14.6 seconds, 94 mph (151 kmph)

These values are not greatly different from the Royal Enfield 650 Twin so I would expect to see similar performance with the Royal Enfield.
Definitely enough to meet the average riding conditions in India and in the USA.

With ABS disk brakes and other modern improvements the RE seems like a winner to me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhide (Post 4450223)
My thoughts exactly. Royal Enfields aren't known for their QC and have recurring niggling issues. But are there any alternatives at this (rumoured) price point & with these specs ? Until Bajaj - Triumph partnership or Mahindra (Jawa / BSA) throw up a ~ 500 - 600 cc retro with decent power & torque figures and economical pricing , RE has on its hands here yet another golden goose, and I can see them laugh all the way to the bank.:)

There's a very real possibility that the Bajaj - Triumph partnership will crash RE's party. Apparently they are also aiming at a retro cruiser with the same displacement!

Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked-triumphstreettwinp.jpg

Given Bajaj's expertise in frugal engineering and Triumph's long and varied experience in manufacturing powerful, high capacity bikes, a well made, reliable, decently priced motorcycle shouldn't be such a far fetched dream. This will only make the competition interesting and things can only get better from here on , especially for the customers !

Not to forget, the Mahindra stable also has Jawa and BSA brands under their belt and I'm sure even they are watching this segment with keen interest .
Scoop! Royal Enfield 650 Twins specs leaked-4stroke2017jawa350ohcpics3696x499.jpg

RE though, will have lapped up the first mover advantage by then. Their only undoing possibly may be QC / reliability or rather, the lack of it in what will be their flagship products. I hope these don't go the Himalayan way.

Cheers !

(Articles and Pictures Courtesy : https://bikeadvice.in/ , https://news.maxabout.com/, https://www.motorbeam.com/, https://www.revzilla.com/

Royal Enfield just announced the prices for both the biked in USA. Seems like a very good price point. Interceptor is priced at 5799$ and GT at 5999$

Just for comparison, the price of Classic Chrome is 5799$ too. So if the same pricing comes to India. It would be an instant hit.

Will RE really launch the twins with such crazy pricing here in india ?

Extrapolating the price between RE 500 and this, these twins should start at 2.xx Ex-showroom which could mean 3.xx OTR is possible !!

I guess RE will be bit greedy here and price it on the upper band of this range and keep the prices close to 3L ex ?

Please continue the discussion here.