Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 10:20   #91
BHPian

Re: A Close Look: The 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hope this helps, speeds are calculated using gearing commander.

After all that, do know that the heart wants what the heart wants, alternatives simply wont suffice in the long run.

Cheers,
Tour Safely,
A.P.
Your last line said it all. Thanks for the wonderful details. Honestly, it has been a constant struggle between R3 and N300. I agree those are not really long distance tourers, but the smile they give you when driving is worth the pain. But surely need to be practical also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A few points from my side - Couldn't tag each person here so sorry about that due to lack of much time at hands.
Regarding the N300 as a commuter - I would suggest against. Its a sports bike and is perfect for that adrenaline rush on a weekend and a couple of bursts around the neighborhood and for a great highway drive. Especially for an RE owner who is used to the low end torque, this bike will take getting used to.
So if not in a hurry, then I would wait for the KTM folks to show us what they have got cooking in their R&D wing.
Recently my colleague was joking about why I need a Ninja when we hardly get to do 60-70 in the city at the most. He has an enfield. I replied telling that more than the speed you achieve, how you get to that speed is the differentiating factor. He had no answer for that. Thats what I enjoy the most in the bike. Even a trip to the grocery store is fun in the Ninja though I hardly touch even 40kmph on the way
Your example of the conversation with a fellow RE owner and that statement, "more than the speed you achieve, how you get to that speed is the differentiating factor" is the exact reason why I want to move out of the RE zone. People have been recommending the RE 650's to me and although good bikes, they are just not to my liking.
But I am second doubting now for N300 as you clearly mentioned it's setup does not suit the long rides on Indian roads. But the question is, what is the alternative? RE's are out, Himalayan just hangs at the bottom of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
How old are you? Ninja 300 is NOT a comfortable sports tourer, irrespective of number of blogs you may read online. Uncomfortable seat, low riding position, lack of mounting points for luggage, hard shock absorbers (basically you are absorbing shocks for the bike).... list goes on against it. After 6 years from launch, it still looks absolutely amazing. You will catch a LOT of eyeballs on road, sometimes irritatingly so in remote places. But as a rider, you will hardly ever be comfortable.

If you want to continue touring, as owner of Ninja 300, I suggest you consider comfortable option. It's engine is amazing, but Indian road condition is not really suited for riding comfortably on it.

4 Lakhs (or even more) for your dream is absolutely a steal deal. Don't overthink it. Worse you can face is some depreciation loss while selling it.
I am 36 and have had my share of biking on various bikes. After having driven a few, I know I love refined smooth power and a good top end.
The jerky power delivery of KTM's and the zero top end of RE's is not helping the choices. N300 or R3, they seem to be the only 2 choices unless I am having a blind eye to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hold off buying the Ninja 300 until it is in fact BS6 ready. KTM is also bringing a new model line up for the bs6 generation.

People here have been saying the 300 will not be BS6 ready, which makes sense considering it is only sold here.
Completely agree, I can wait till that happens as I would want to buy a bike that I can keep for a long time. This investment is going to be with me for some time.

So to sum up, I can decide to go for N300 immediately and live with the fun of having dreamt of owning one since the 250's were launched. Or get the R3 as it is more likely to be supported with BS6 and continue in the market.
If I read deeper on comfort riding, I am going nowhere with these 2 and I might have to satisfy myself with a Himalayan or a Dominar.
In both cases, I will have a good bike but I am sure I will change the bike in 3-4 years. Himalayan though gives me an offroad capability (seldom used) and Dominar gives me what I lacked in the RE Thunderbird that I own.
I want a bike that I can enjoy every small to long ride with a smile and not want to sell in next 5 to 6 years atleast.
What say Tbhpians?
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 10:55   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
But I am second doubting now for N300 as you clearly mentioned it's setup does not suit the long rides on Indian roads. But the question is, what is the alternative?
I think I was not making this point correctly. For long rides, the bike is excellent. You have sufficient power to maintain good speeds on the highway. For solo riding, its very good and I have thoroughly enjoyed it on the highway. What I meant was it was not so good to be ridden in dense traffic since you have to leash the bike tight and lug it around with frequent braking and gear changes. I think the only alternative IMO is a KTM, but that depends upon whether you like the characteristics of the 390. Else buy the N300 eyes closed. It will serve you well in the longrun. No doubt about that.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 12:25   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4. Intentions of use: Everyday office commuter (12 kms total) plus once a quarter long drive (800-1000 kms a day ones) - does it fit the bill anymore
Quote:
I want a bike that I can enjoy every small to long ride with a smile and not want to sell in next 5 to 6 years atleast.
What say Tbhpians?
justwheels, you seem to be in a classic head vs heart dilemma for buying your next two wheeler. Your usage actually works out to around 45% city usage and 55% highway usage assuming you are doing a 900 kms highway trip once a quarter. Test ride the Ninja 300 through peak traffic and see if you are willing to live with it on a day to day basis. It will serve your highway usage very well without a doubt but for the other 89 days of the quarter, you have to see if it is best suited for you.

I'll throw out another couple of options as well. The Duke 250 brings in more manageable power as compared to the D390. The Suzuki 250 oozes quality and is something that could be a very sensible choice for you.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 13:14   #94
BHPian

Quote:
I think I was not making this point correctly. For long rides, the bike is excellent. You have sufficient power to maintain good speeds on the highway. For solo riding, its very good and I have thoroughly enjoyed it on the highway. What I meant was it was not so good to be ridden in dense traffic since you have to leash the bike tight and lug it around with frequent braking and gear changes. I think the only alternative IMO is a KTM, but that depends upon whether you like the characteristics of the 390. Else buy the N300 eyes closed. It will serve you well in the longrun. No doubt about that.
Thanks @audioholic for the clarification and my bad I deciphered it incorrectly. I guess this emboldens by choice to get a N300, but I will wait for Kawasaki to declare the plan on BS6 though. That will give some time to test ride some rentals if possible. But then, I very well know what my heart will say. Thanks again.

As for the options, undoubtedly the KTM performance is a stealer for the price point, the charm of a twin is something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
justwheels, you seem to be in a classic head vs heart dilemma for buying your next two wheeler. Your usage actually works out to around 45% city usage and 55% highway usage assuming you are doing a 900 kms highway trip once a quarter. Test ride the Ninja 300 through peak traffic and see if you are willing to live with it on a day to day basis. It will serve your highway usage very well without a doubt but for the other 89 days of the quarter, you have to see if it is best suited for you.

I'll throw out another couple of options as well. The Duke 250 brings in more manageable power as compared to the D390. The Suzuki 250 oozes quality and is something that could be a very sensible choice for you.
Thanks for the inputs mate. I am a guy who can stand the pain if the ride puts a smile on my face. And since my office commute is quite ok and in non peak hours, I should be able to manage. The feeling of the long stable rides every quarter atleast on a smooth machine is something I can live with.
Having driven 350cc, though on a RE, I want to get atleast a 300 if not more, so will skip the daily commuters. Though, I agree they will be better city rides for sure.
Old 25th November 2019, 14:40   #95
BHPian

Hi Tbhp'ians,

Could anyone help a brother out with a any information if Ninja 300 is available for rent in Bangalore city? This is desperate situation where i am completely smitten by the bike during an unintended test ride and i was so impressed by this machine that i have started day-dreaming to an extent of getting fired from my job. Please help me. I need to ride it for a long distance before i take a jump to the other side.

Also, Rideventure just informed that Ninja 300 is only available in Black [2019 color] and no other options are currently supplied. I am not convinced that that is true. Need inputs on that as well as i badly want a lime green color if i actually make the decision of buying. Its currently retailing at 3,91,000Rs OTR as of Nov 2019 from Bangalore.

Thanks,
Raghavendra
raghu.bramha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
Hi Tbhp'ians,

Could anyone help a brother out with a any information if Ninja 300 is available for rent in Bangalore city? This is desperate situation where i am completely smitten by the bike during an unintended test ride and i was so impressed by this machine that i have started day-dreaming to an extent of getting fired from my job. Please help me. I need to ride it for a long distance before i take a jump to the other side.

Also, Rideventure just informed that Ninja 300 is only available in Black [2019 color] and no other options are currently supplied. I am not convinced that that is true. Need inputs on that as well as i badly want a lime green color if i actually make the decision of buying. Its currently retailing at 3,91,000Rs OTR as of Nov 2019 from Bangalore.

Thanks,
Raghavendra
I went to RideVenture on Saturday, he told me the same as well. Only Black colour available, guess Kawasaki will resume production once BS6 version is ready (as per him). BTW, did you notice they are charging 17k as handling charges which is hidden in registration charges. After seeing the on road price, and hearing about the service cost (7-8k every 6k kms) I dropped my plans, will probably go for something else.

Did not find any rental for Ninja300 though in Bangalore, everyone is offering the Ninja and Versys 650s
Old 26th November 2019, 11:02   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
BTW, did you notice they are charging 17k as handling charges which is hidden in registration charges. After seeing the on road price, and hearing about the service cost (7-8k every 6k kms) I dropped my plans, will probably go for something else.
Yes, as per the price quotation there is some handling charges, thanks for appraising me. I however, did not ask them about in detail. May be i'll ask my friend to inquire in Pune if possible to see if they are also charging something like this.

The Black color nonsense is for sure a hoax, as i can see #Deliverydoneright posts on Instagram from Thane and other outlets for lime green bikes. Rideventure either don't have the inventory or they just want to sell the black stock off.

Service costs are also subject for proper investigation, as some youtube videos suggest that after localization service costs have gone down a fair bit. May be some of the rider groups can give clearer picture.
Old 26th November 2019, 11:28   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
May be i'll ask my friend to inquire in Pune if possible to see if they are also charging something like this.
The Black color nonsense is for sure a hoax, as i can see #Deliverydoneright posts on Instagram from Thane and other outlets for lime green bikes. Rideventure either don't have the inventory or they just want to sell the black stock off.
Right, also you could inquire in Pune if Green is available there, buy the bike from there and get it registered in Bangalore.
Guess RideVenture doesn't have stock of any other colour except black. I saw them prepping up 2 black 300 for delivery but no other colour. The salesman told me green is available in other bikes though. Thinking of saving up and buying Z650 or Ninja 650 few years down the line
Old 26th November 2019, 13:46   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

By black, are you guys referring to the green black combo? This was the yuckiest looking IMO(No offense if any own it) since it came with a dull black paintwork and green stickers. The dull black fairing made it look like an old bike already at the time of delivery. Perhaps thats the reason there could be stock of this color still left with dealers which they are pushing to customers.
Old 26th November 2019, 14:01   #100
BHPian

Quote:
By black, are you guys referring to the green black combo? This was the yuckiest looking IMO(No offense if any own it) since it came with a dull black paintwork and green stickers. The dull black fairing made it look like an old bike already at the time of delivery. Perhaps thats the reason there could be stock of this color still left with dealers which they are pushing to customers.
Nope, not the green and black but the black /grey one. For me Ninja has to be Green, although Plasma Blue is also good.
Posted a photo below for reference
Attached Images

Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:25   #101
Senior - BHPian

Ninja 300 BS6 purportedly spotted. If this is true, then it’s a delight to know the bike lives to see the daylight during the stringent norms

https://www.rushlane.com/kawasaki-ni...-12349724.html

Mods

You can move this post to an appropriate thread if this doesn’t belong here.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:39   #102
BHPian

I did a casual check in a few showrooms and found that no BS4 or very limited stocks are available on 250-300cc bikes.

1. CBR250R - found a non-ABS, yellow 10K discount 1.9L onroad
2. Ninja 300 - Thane west, Demo bike(green) with 60K worth accessories free 3.74L on road
3. Ninja 300 - Jogeshwari (Mumbai), no discount only grey/black combo available 3.74L On road

I think BS4 stocks are as good as finished in the 2-4L segment.

I was a bit swayed by the news that Ninja 300 has a 20-30K discount and was considering it but either the news was wrong or I was late .

-Slick
Old 29th June 2021, 13:09   #103
BHPian

Breakdown

Hi guys, bumping up an old thread but my ninja 300 is having some trouble. So a week ago I took her out after a break of two (lockdown) months. The ride was within Delhi on a Sunday for about 70 kms. Went fine without any issues.
Three days ago, on Saturday, I took her out again and after about 20 minutes of riding, going about 70 on the DND flyway, the throttle cut off and the bike jerked to a stop. The cut was intermittent for two-three chops and then cut off completely.
To make matters worse, this was at 2pm right in the middle of DND with no shade around and it was HOT! I almost had a heat stroke.
Kept on trying till the tow truck arrived. Notes:
  • The bike starts fine on neutral.
  • Soon as I shift in gear and release the clutch, the bike dies
  • If I revv it up high and then release the clutch, the bike would sputter a bit, move jerkily, and then die.
  • No problems with throttle or bike dying while in neutral. Revving normally

Anyway, got the bike towed to the service centre, and lo and behold, the bike works absolutely fine when dismounted and the tech tried it out. Nevertheless, I asked them to keep it in for the day and check thoroughly.
The next day they called and said that they can’t find any issue, and they’ve taken a couple of small rides and can’t replicate the problem as well.

Chalking the “breakdown” up to an unlucky day, they asked me to collect the bike. I did, and again, after riding for about 30 mins, same symptoms. Called them, and they sent the technicians over. Once again, when they reached, the bike responded properly. I then asked them to follow me for a bit, and this time, within a few minutes, the bike started acting up again. They caught it live, and took the bike back to the service centre.

So far, the following have been eliminated as possible causes:
Fuel, fuel pump, or anything to do with the fuel assembly
Kick stand sensor
Clutch cable, clutch plate
Throttle cable, throttle body
Air in system

The latest I have from them is that the spark plugs aren’t igniting when the bike heats up. Which seems like a symptom rather than the cause.
I have looked online and a couple of people who’ve had similar symptoms have attributed it up to a faulty firmware with ECU. The ECU for my bike hasn’t been fiddled with at all.

TL;DR
Throttle cuts off chopping and the bike dies after riding fine for about 30 mins. Not sure what’s up.
Old 30th June 2021, 01:03   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Hi guys,
TL;DR
Throttle cuts off chopping and the bike dies after riding fine for about 30 mins. Not sure what’s up.
You mentioned taking the bike out after a long hibernation. Please do as below

1) Drain the whole fuel tank and refuel.
2) Clean air filter thoroughly. It’s when you are opening the throttle, it’s most likely gasping for breath. I could be wrong but a basic troubleshooting such as this should help.
3) How’s the oil quality looking in the engine? Coolant is topped sufficiently?

I cannot tag audioholic here to shed some more technical gyan on this

Thanks,

RV

Last edited by gururajrv : 30th June 2021 at 01:04.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:12   #105
BHPian

Re: Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
You mentioned taking the bike out after a long hibernation. Please do as below

1) Drain the whole fuel tank and refuel.
2) Clean air filter thoroughly. It’s when you are opening the throttle, it’s most likely gasping for breath. I could be wrong but a basic troubleshooting such as this should help.
3) How’s the oil quality looking in the engine? Coolant is topped sufficiently?

I cannot tag audioholic here to shed some more technical gyan on this

Thanks,

RV
Sorry, missed this post, and thanks for the inputs. Turns out it was the spark plugs, which were replaced, and the problem went away.
Strange as the bike has only done about 3.5k kms. Should they be going bad so quickly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks