Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 14:11   #1

New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!

Hi Folks,

I came across this really unusual problem with my 3 month old Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 2018. I just took delivery of the bike on the 27th of June 2018 and within months, i have had some really bad rust issues on the bike. the chromes and other exposed parts are just rusting in a super serious speed and it has me concerned on the quality and effort put in by Bajaj to even ensure simple issues like this doesn't happen. Affected areas are the Nuts, bolts, backrest, fork and dome area. All these areas have Chrome on them.

Bajaj Sales was done by Supreme Auto in Mangalore Karnataka. I did do my homework on it. And as advised, this will be the best dealership there. But the responsibility of sales and their response was pathetic. They did everything to sell their bike, but their standard answer for anything related to warranty is " Talk to Service Center".

Service Center folks on the other hand only have no idea and say we are the first case they have seen. "They will discuss and see what can be done" is their standard answer. so far, i have also sent the email to Bajaj customer care, but no answer yet.

Somewhere I feel like I have been literally taken for a ride and given a vehicle with some glaring manufacturing defects. I feel intensely sad as the money I spent on the bike did not even let me have a good day. Non availability of process and unbelievable responses from the dealership and their agents is appalling, considering that I just spent around 1.1 Lac of my heard earned money on a bike, which cant resist weathering either.
Attached Thumbnails
New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!-backrest-rust-top-left-corner.jpeg  

New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!-rust-connecting-nuts.jpeg  

New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!-rust-fork.jpeg  

New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!-rust-right-side-fork.jpeg  

New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!-rust-mirror-handles.jpeg  

amritnoronha is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 14:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!

Shocking to see so many rust spots, please continue to follow-up with service center and Bajaj customer care.
BTW, was bike parked in open area during rains?
Old 31st August 2018, 15:21   #3
BANNED

This is common for motorcycles with chrome parts, you can get parts replaced under warranty.

Do you live near the sea? Cause I've only seen things get so bad so soon on motorcycles primarily ridden in coastal areas.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Any special material/chemical you are using to wash/clean your vehicle? Also you might want to check the water used (should not be retreated water).

It cannot be manufacturing defect as issue should have been at one point. But as it is spread across different parts, looks like some other issue.
Old 31st August 2018, 16:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritnoronha View Post
Service Center folks on the other hand only have no idea and say we are the first case they have seen. "They will discuss and see what can be done" is their standard answer. so far, i have also sent the email to Bajaj customer care, but no answer yet.

Somewhere I feel like I have been literally taken for a ride and given a vehicle with some glaring manufacturing defects. I feel intensely sad as the money I spent on the bike did not even let me have a good day. Non availability of process and unbelievable responses from the dealership and their agents is appalling, considering that I just spent around 1.1 Lac of my heard earned money on a bike, which cant resist weathering either.
It's sad to see such a case of poor quality on what is an established motorcycle platform. I hope that this is just a one off. The type of rust is similar to what I have seen on well worn (most definitely not 3 month old!) motorcycles in coastal areas. That said, request for the customer relationship manager (CRM) details the next time that you are in the service centre. Find out the escalation mechanism in Bajaj. Insist on speaking to a higher up in the chain. If the SVC is not cooperative, please go to another centre. While these issues are unfortunate, the parts are easily replaceable as well. Look forward to further updates from you on this so that we can help.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 17:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Any special material/chemical you are using to wash/clean your vehicle? Also you might want to check the water used (should not be retreated water).

It cannot be manufacturing defect as issue should have been at one point. But as it is spread across different parts, looks like some other issue.
Ok to be honest, i have not used any chemical based cleaner yet. the water used is good clean water and not retreated water. i can confirm well that there have been incessant rain in the city of Mangalore where the vehicle is currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
This is common for motorcycles with chrome parts, you can get parts replaced under warranty.

Do you live near the sea? Cause I've only seen things get so bad so soon on motorcycles primarily ridden in coastal areas.

Yes. I can understand that older vehicles have these issues. I have had multiple vehicles in the past including a Bajaj Pulsar. Never seen such issues. and yes; I live near the sea in Mangalore. but no vehicle there in any condition gets rusted within 3 months of a brand new purchase. i understand and acknowledge salt based corrosion, but this much damage is unbelievable. if it was after a a year or two i can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
It's sad to see such a case of poor quality on what is an established motorcycle platform. I hope that this is just a one off. The type of rust is similar to what I have seen on well worn (most definitely not 3 month old!) motorcycles in coastal areas. That said, request for the customer relationship manager (CRM) details the next time that you are in the service centre. Find out the escalation mechanism in Bajaj. Insist on speaking to a higher up in the chain. If the SVC is not cooperative, please go to another centre. While these issues are unfortunate, the parts are easily replaceable as well. Look forward to further updates from you on this so that we can help.
This is exactly why i have such a worry that i saw the need to post this here. I will insist on the CRM as you have suggested when i visit the service center next. Also good tip to find the escalation mechanism. I definitely will start there as well.

Replacing the parts are not a problem. but the changing parts doesn't give the quality of a factory fit, doesn't it?

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st August 2018 at 17:45. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 31st August 2018, 17:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Avengers have become a sort of mass bikes since street and cruise editions have been launched. Mind you..the pricing is sweet for these bikes under 1 lakh and anyone aspiring for an entry level cruiser will end up with one of these. Hence for this price, the quality of parts also will be cheap, which is visible with rusting..My 17 year old Kawasaki Eliminator doesn't reflect any rusting in all these years !!
Such is the top notch quality of yesteryear motorcycles.
New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!-picture-002.jpg
hillram is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 20:11   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. I can understand that older vehicles have these issues. I have had multiple vehicles in the past including a Bajaj Pulsar. Never seen such issues. and yes; I live near the sea in Mangalore. but no vehicle there in any condition gets rusted within 3 months of a brand new purchase. i understand and acknowledge salt based corrosion, but this much damage is unbelievable. if it was after a a year or two i can understand.
Perfectly understandable, and you are well within rights to get the part replaced under warranty, no two ways about it, as a matter of fact if I recall correctly there is even a mention of the same withing warranty guidelines.

Now coming to the matter of rusting, it is something that can happen under a week given the right conditions irrespective of the motorcycles age, I'm from Kollam and we have some areas that are pretty close to the sea where the issue is common irrespective of brands, the most affected motorcycles are Avengers and Royal Enfields due to the the amount of chrome present, not that other motorcycles do not face the issue but it is more evident on motorcycles with a lot of chrome, I've seen a 2010 Thunderbird's exhaust develop holes due to rusting within a short time after purchase but he could not get it claimed due to the rust being attributed to his area of residence.

On my Pulsar I once parked the motorcycle after a wash, had dried it properly under the sun but didn't ride, a week later there were rust spots on exposed chassis areas, had to sand and paint it, this again was an error on my part.

Another occurrence of rust is with my CT100B, a couple of months back I had changed the headlight unit to that of the Hero Ambition(OEM Part) and it has started rusting pretty badly, the stock headlight unit was spotless even after a year of use and I couldn't blame it on quality as both units were manufactured by the same OEM i.e Lumax. So my best guess would be the recent rains were responsible for the same, and to add the motorcycle has never been left out in the rains with the new headlight unit, though with the old one it has pretty much been out for nights at time due to limited parking space as I then had two cars parked at the time.

Incidentally another thing noticed is rusting with recently purchased tools, its a pair of stanchion nut holders for overhauling suspension of CT100B and Pulsar 220, both the tools were kept inside the house but still developed rust, which went away soon after properly greasing them.

So in my mind 1+1=2 I decided to conclude the blame of both incidents to being a result of the recent rains. Nothing else made sense.

Quote:
Replacing the parts are not a problem. but the changing parts doesn't give the quality of a factory fit, doesn't it?
Now this is misinformation, there is no such thing as factory fitment that is an age-old-notion. There is either correct fitment or incorrect fitment, the latter being the cause of all concerns.

Make sure to be present while the parts in question are being replaced and do ensure that the fitment is being done to your satisfaction, some SVC's can be filled with idiots, on my 2011 ZMA one such idiot used a power wrench to tighten my chain guard bolts as a result of which a few km's after leaving the SVC my chain guard fell off mid riding.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 09:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Bajaj Avengers have become a sort of mass bikes since street and cruise editions have been launched. Mind you..the pricing is sweet for these bikes under 1 lakh and anyone aspiring for an entry level cruiser will end up with one of these. Hence for this price, the quality of parts also will be cheap, which is visible with rusting..My 17 year old Kawasaki Eliminator doesn't reflect any rusting in all these years !!
Such is the top notch quality of yesteryear motorcycles.
Attachment 1794906

Now that is a really well maintained bike! i should applaud you for that. somewhere you have taken the pain to ensure that you have a pristine bike. Eliminator was definitely eliminating the competition back in its day. cant believe it has been over 17 years now.

Quote:
Perfectly understandable, and you are well within rights to get the part replaced under warranty, no two ways about it, as a matter of fact if I recall correctly there is even a mention of the same withing warranty guidelines.

Now coming to the matter of rusting, it is something that can happen under a week given the right conditions irrespective of the motorcycles age, I'm from Kollam and we have some areas that are pretty close to the sea where the issue is common irrespective of brands, the most affected motorcycles are Avengers and Royal Enfields due to the the amount of chrome present, not that other motorcycles do not face the issue but it is more evident on motorcycles with a lot of chrome, I've seen a 2010 Thunderbird's exhaust develop holes due to rusting within a short time after purchase but he could not get it claimed due to the rust being attributed to his area of residence.

On my Pulsar I once parked the motorcycle after a wash, had dried it properly under the sun but didn't ride, a week later there were rust spots on exposed chassis areas, had to sand and paint it, this again was an error on my part.

Another occurrence of rust is with my CT100B, a couple of months back I had changed the headlight unit to that of the Hero Ambition(OEM Part) and it has started rusting pretty badly, the stock headlight unit was spotless even after a year of use and I couldn't blame it on quality as both units were manufactured by the same OEM i.e Lumax. So my best guess would be the recent rains were responsible for the same, and to add the motorcycle has never been left out in the rains with the new headlight unit, though with the old one it has pretty much been out for nights at time due to limited parking space as I then had two cars parked at the time.

Incidentally another thing noticed is rusting with recently purchased tools, its a pair of stanchion nut holders for overhauling suspension of CT100B and Pulsar 220, both the tools were kept inside the house but still developed rust, which went away soon after properly greasing them.

So in my mind 1+1=2 I decided to conclude the blame of both incidents to being a result of the recent rains. Nothing else made sense.

Yes i can blame the coastal air too. but new bikes should be resilient to atleast some amount for a few years atleast. Also i just realised that i did not have this problem before the first service. it did happen after that, so its purely possible that the service center used detergent instead of shampoo to clean the bike, stripping off its protective layer leading to the rust. cant see where the fault was...

Quote:
Now this is misinformation, there is no such thing as factory fitment that is an age-old-notion. There is either correct fitment or incorrect fitment, the latter being the cause of all concerns.

Make sure to be present while the parts in question are being replaced and do ensure that the fitment is being done to your satisfaction, some SVC's can be filled with idiots, on my 2011 ZMA one such idiot used a power wrench to tighten my chain guard bolts as a result of which a few km's after leaving the SVC my chain guard fell off mid riding.

i would both agree and disagree with the statement. in the factory, the machines fixing the nuts screws and bolts are set to a preset degree of torque and tension which ensures that they are fixed the right way. the service center on the other hand has no information on the minute mechanicals whatsoever. this can be a process gap or that not everyone is trained properly. but then, yes, based on the mechanic, the fitments and its tensions can change heavily.
Old 2nd September 2018, 16:30   #10
BANNED

Quote:
i would both agree and disagree with the statement. in the factory, the machines fixing the nuts screws and bolts are set to a preset degree of torque and tension which ensures that they are fixed the right way. the service center on the other hand has no information on the minute mechanicals whatsoever. this can be a process gap or that not everyone is trained properly. but then, yes, based on the mechanic, the fitments and its tensions can change heavily.
The Magic Word here is "Torque Wrench" a decent one costs about 5k, a good service center would have it.

You can take a bolt out one hundred times and put it back using a torque wrench all the while ensuring the exact same level of fit.
Old 14th November 2018, 15:27   #11

Re: New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!

Ok, So finally Bajaj Dealer Concedes on the argument with me and agrees to repair all the rusted items on the chrome.
I received the biked all gleaming and shining now. Also, i had a stark realization. When cross questioning, I found out that our dear people at the service centers are using a specific Bajaj cleaner (all well till this point) but only after pre-wipe using kerosene to clean the grime out.

I dont know the logic behind that, but I believe that it takes away the entire protective coating on top of the chrome, allowing moisture to start the oxidation process.

Anyways, even if I'm right or wrong, the lack of apathy from Bajaj's customer service is very disappointing. Atleast, now I know that I will not be returning to Bajaj in the future for any of their new bikes.
amritnoronha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 18:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Bajaj Avenger Cruise rusting heavily!

Quote:

Anyways, even if I'm right or wrong, the lack of apathy from Bajaj's customer service is very disappointing. Atleast, now I know that I will not be returning to Bajaj in the future for any of their new bikes.
Bajaj bikes and rusting seem to go hand in hand. This is from experience of rusting silencer on 1st-gen Caliber, 2 rusted silencers on a Caliber 115, a rusted silencer and fuel tank of a Pulsar 150 DTSi and minor rust creeping up in my last Bajaj, a Pulsar 180 UG4. Recent thread of rusting on a Dominar shows the trend continues.

BTW, the early TVS 4-stroke bikes (Victor, City) used to rust as well. No idea if they have improved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks