Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2018, 10:42   #76
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Pegasus 500 owners feel cheated, express disappointment over cheaper Signals 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The macho, rugged image of the Bullets makes a lot of Bullet riders wear flimsy open face helmets. Is that image really so important that they will risk their head and face?
Exactly !!

This so called rugged image is fed by Movies, television programs and misleading ads. Therefore the young buyers pick up these fast, just like smoking per-se. This is why basic education is required right from schools.

Those who think they don't need ABS, might as well not require any helmets or any insurance for their deeper understanding of braking.

What puzzles me is when the customer is ready to pay those 20K extra just for the look (Pegasus 500) wont they shell out a little extra for ABS.
The Great is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 16:38   #77
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Pegasus 500 owners feel cheated, express disappointment over cheaper Signals 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Well, its threads like these that really brighten up the weekend! So where do I start? ...
I totally agree with all the points mentioned in this post. Just like the Baleno bashing thread, this Royal Enfield bashing thread is equally not needed. As a automobile enthusiast, I love all things on wheels, be it a 4 wheeler or a 2 wheeler. And I believe, the ride isn't so important, it's the rider who is important to make his ride worthy.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like.. this..

Last edited by ampere : 12th September 2018 at 09:36. Reason: Trimming quoted content for readability.
Old 9th September 2018, 22:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
I totally agree with all the points mentioned in this post..just like the Baleno bashing thread, this Royal Enfield bashing thread is equally not needed..as a automobile enthusiast, I love all things on wheels..be it a 4 wheeler or a 2 wheeler..and I believe, the ride isn't so important, it's the rider who is important to make his ride worthy..
If only Royal Enfield loved its customers as much as its customers love their Royal Enfield bikes.
marcussantiago is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:40   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
1. Its not a easy retrofit
2. Why should they ? They delivered what they promised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Really?? But why? These owners picked up the Pegasus knowing that their bike is not going to be equipped with ABS. And from what I have read online, their grouse is not just about their bikes not being equipped with ABS, it has more to do with their ego as Malyaj mentioned.

Ride safe,
R-Six
There is something called customer satisfaction and delight and that is not driven by what was "promised" and what was in the original specs.

If its feasible to retrofit, RE should do it as a goodwill to the Pegasus owners. No one is questioning what they signed up for. What is possibly irritating is when a model very similar to the limited edition is launched at a lower price.

Last edited by narayan : 10th September 2018 at 10:42.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 14:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, the entire affair is a terrible misjudgement by RE which will come back to bite them in the back long term. It will be interesting to see what sort of response future special/limited editions from the RE stable generate after this fiasco.

That said, I have absoloutley no sympathy for people who bought a 2 lac motorcycle from RE and do not think anyone else should feel sorry for them either. I understand if a person who shelled their earnings on a commuter bike only to find issues with it later. But here the buyers fully bought into an 'image' knowing completely well that no Bullet 500 would ever deserve a 2 lac price tag! Two lakhs for what exactly?! Kudos to RE for being able to do this, to sell a 7- DECADE old design with new paintwork at such a massive premium.

Any manufacturer would do the same if they knew there were people with money out there who would take the bait! The only difference would be that they would not sell literally the same thing the next day at half the price.

The only reason I would feel sorry for Pegasus owners is that every time they ride out into the public there would be many out there who would simply giggle at them for their dumbfounded purchase decision. Perhaps that premium must be worth the attention after all!
shortbread is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 18:21   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Firstly, the entire affair is a terrible mis-judgement by RE which will come back to bite them in the back long term. It will be interesting to see what sort of response future special/limited editions from the RE stable generate after this fiasco.

Exactly!!! I echo your thoughts If folks can fall for a mere paint job, why take the effort to improve the actual motorcycle and the reliability of the parts that matter to the motorcyclist. Just continue the con in the name of heritage and what not!

As long as people have a herd mentality and are loyal to a fault to a brand, irrespective of the quality of the motorcycle, we will continue to see a lot more of these scams(or it is ?? since people have willing fallen for it. In-spite of the writing on the wall)

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this....

Last edited by ampere : 12th September 2018 at 09:34. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 10th September 2018, 22:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Having read through some of the posts, in my view the only thing RE can be blamed for is being unethical. But then profits is what businesses are interested in. RE still gives limited edition of 500cc bike and only handful are being sold. They may be having a similar looking 350cc version which technically is a different model.

In my view this will have no negative impact to RE as a brand. The way i see is that RE has huge waiting periods and people are willing to give premium mainly for the look of the bikes.
Old 11th September 2018, 15:46   #83
Team-BHP Support

Classic 500 Desert Storm ABS launched at 1.99L.

So now we know how much exactly the Pegasus owners paid for the paint scheme uniqueness!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 09:13   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
"Enthusiasts are emotional"
"In emotions, sometimes you do stupid things"
"By doing more stupid things to cover up that stupidity, you look more stupid"
I think, this issue could not have been summed up better.

Correct me if this is a wrong analogy, but this is what it looks like: You have gone to a prospective bride's home for arranged marriage. You see the bride, you like her and convey the same. Now both the families are preparing for the wedding. This is when you discover the bride's sister and you find her more attractive. And now you are going around complaining to the father, why wasn't the sister shown to me earlier.

I mean have a look at the Pegasus; RE engineering issues not withstanding, you can't take away the fact that it is a beautiful bike and is certain to make heads turn on the road. I refuse to buy the argument that the owners were indeed worried about the mechanics when they decided to shell out that extra moolah. And more importantly what's wrong with the mechanics? There are lakhs of Classics with the exact same mechanics doing so well.

I own a TB350 for the past 5 years and honestly I knew what I am sinking into when I bought it. To clarify it still gives me 38 kmpl but blows up a bomb in my face only once every three months at the servicing. But i know for a fact that i would buy an additional bike maybe but would never trade off this elephant for anything in the world. RE's reliability's unquestionable. It's an unanimous opinion that it sucks. Yet you buy an RE because you are either too smitten by the looks or you are an enthusiast. The latter ones won't crib, and I would request the former ones to man up and stop acting as if they were oblivious to the consequences of their actions.

But I have a different question altogether. Am I the only one who feels it's unethical for RE to milk the armed forces for their sales? They pulled off the NSG ride thing too and it was out and out about RE and creative photography than the actual valor of those men. If the rational is that it's because RE has been the preferred bike of the forces, I would want to know the data source for this. I have seen Hero Honda CD100 and CD100SS too being used pretty extensively by the Indian Army.

Last edited by ampere : 12th September 2018 at 09:33. Reason: compacted quoted post
amitkumarsi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 10:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens when your heart rules over brain. Barring the simple stencil job and few logos, there was nothing in the Pegasus to set it apart from the normal sandstorm. Unless I was high on something, wouldn't have made a decision to pay 65K premium for a rubbish edition.

Last edited by PrideRed : 14th September 2018 at 10:23.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 10:22   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Next time of I see anyone riding Pegasus, I will ask him if he bought this or did he strike a lottery by picking this one from the garbage dump someplace.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 14:11   #87
BHPian

A Pegasus owner have filed an RTI questioning government about absense of ABS in the motorcycle.
Quote:
In the RTI application, Mr. Singh has questioned the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH). In the application, he asks why the Royal Enfield Pegasus 500 sold in India does not have ABS despite an April 2018 government circular asking all two-wheeler makers to equip new two-wheelers with engine capacities over 125cc with ABS.
https://www.cartoq.com/royal-enfield...bsence-of-abs/

Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 14:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
A Pegasus owner have filed an RTI questioning government about absense of ABS in the motorcycle.

https://www.cartoq.com/royal-enfield...bsence-of-abs/
This is getting absolutely ridiculous!
RE gave them exactly what RE promised.
Next what will we have is Himalayan owners complaining that they feel cheated because the newer ones are coming with ABS. And same for Thunderbird and then Classic.
And I suppose all mobile phone owners should start protesting because all manufacturers release newer better phones which are cheaper all the time.

As a matter of fact all progress in all fields should stop because existing owners feel cheated.

Mods, can we please close this thread? I think everything which needs to be said has already been said.

Last edited by timuseravan : 14th September 2018 at 14:37.
timuseravan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 15:49   #89
BANNED

I don't think the above allegory is apt. The owners are bemoaning them getting ripped off by what was promised to be a special edition which was priced exorbitantly but has been opened up at a much cheaper price giving better features. The more pertinent allegory will be the episode of the Maruti Scross' price getting cut by 2.25 lakhs and the compensation of ~1 lakh that followed.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 14th September 2018 at 16:04.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 00:46   #90
BHPian

Let me add some fuel to the already raging fire!!

Geo_Ipe is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks