Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2018, 21:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cops in Bangalore warn Enfield owners of theft risk & try to sell them an anti-theft device

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/65662813.cms

They are going door to door warning RE owners about an interstate gang that is stealing only REs.

They are making the RE owners sign a letter that they will install bike locks as well as buy some sort of anti theft app, possibly a GPS tracker, available for sale at the police station "at a reasonable rate".
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 22:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Cops in Bangalore warn Enfield owners of theft risk & try to sell them an anti-theft device

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
They are making the RE owners sign a letter that they will install bike locks as well as buy some sort of anti theft app, possibly a GPS tracker, available for sale at the police station "at a reasonable rate".
Am I missing something or is this a new low for our policing system?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 08:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Cops in Bangalore warn Enfield owners of theft risk & try to sell them an anti-theft device

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
They make a quick buck out of chai paani and such .. now they're diversifying into more 'legal' methods of making money. Reminds me of Michael Corleone's methods in Godfather II.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 12:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
They make a quick buck out of chai paani and such .. now they're diversifying into more 'legal' methods of making money. Reminds me of Michael Corleone's methods in Godfather II.
"That's a nice bike you have there. It would be such a pity if something happened to it, like it got stolen or something. Buy this app from us and nothing will happen to your bike."

Cheers
tilt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 16:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is pathetic!

I remember about 15 years ago, the cops came like this from door-to-door in our neighborhood, peddling some door lock detection system-type device. We were stupid enough to install it because at the time were were one of the few houses in that area and it was mostly empty plots. Basically it was just a speaker that was triggered when the door was forced open after the device was armed with a key. Stopped working within 3-4 months! Now we have the most effective theft detection system in place, a crowded street filled with retired neighbors and small children who are around all day!

How can anyone have any respect for the police force when they do things like this?! I have an RE too, I hope they come around asking me for something like this, I'll show them the useless device they sold me long ago and also will tell them that I'll be happy if someone steals the bike, it's better than getting ripped off by RE each time for their so-called pathetic 'service'!

Last edited by am1m : 5th September 2018 at 16:24.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 10:39   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cops in Bangalore warn Enfield owners of theft risk & try to sell them an anti-theft device

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This is wrong at so many levels . Strict action should be taken against this police station in-charge. Cops are NOT into selling accessories and should never be. The only plausible explanation I can think of is this being the work of an ingenious marketeer. The anti-theft device company has paid off the police for this exercise.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 10:47   #7
BHPian

Re: Cops in Bangalore warn Enfield owners of theft risk & try to sell them an anti-theft device

I know I am going against the general consensus here , but my understanding is that there may be some reasons for this action by the police based on some leads they may be having, although they seem to be overdoing it.

Inspite of the not so pleasant image they have, don't take them in entirety for fleecing agents.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 11:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty sure that is unconstitutional. The cops should be taken to task here. Advising to get the lock fitted is good but getting a letter signed is not legal by any means. And on top suggesting a product reseller is even more wrong.

And we all know how our cops "suggests".
Old 6th September 2018, 11:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They are going door to door warning RE owners about an interstate gang that is stealing only REs.

1. Great initiative!! They know an interstate gang is stealing bikes, but not planning to catch them.

2. They instill fear that the bikes may be stolen - aren't they supposed to tell the owners that "we'll take care of your possession".

3. They are forcing owners to sign papers? Gundagiri??

4. They are selling anti-theft devices - so the bikes are not stolen and police has less (painful) work to do in case of theft?

Everything about Bangalore seems to be hitting new lows - be it the RTO or the Police. They seem to believe only in the short cuts and never the right way of working. What a shame to have such administration.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th September 2018 at 11:42.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 09:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I know I am going against the general consensus here , but my understanding is that there may be some reasons for this action by the police based on some leads they may be having, although they seem to be overdoing it.

Inspite of the not so pleasant image they have, don't take them in entirety for fleecing agents.
Just warning the owners is a good initiative but asking to buy a device from Police station?

And from the article:
Quote:
he letter says that the police suspect these expert thieves are from other states but are targetting Bullets in Bengaluru city. If any biker fails to pay heed to the precautions, the cops will take a serious note of it, the letter warns.
This is straight out extortion!
Old 10th October 2018, 18:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

"Bangalore Police recovers 16 Royal Enfield, KTM Duke, etc worth Rs 30 lakhs from thieves"

"The three member gang of thieves targeted well maintained and new looking bikes. They showed special affinity towards Royal Enfield Bullets. Their operations were busted when the Varthur police have arrested all three members of the gang who are all residents of Attibele and Anekal in Bengaluru."

https://www.rushlane.com/bangalore-p...-12283896.html

Looks like the warnings were warranted after all (not the sale of the anti-theft device though!). Good job by Bangalore cops!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks