Team-BHP - Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS priced at Rs. 1.79 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS priced at Rs. 1.79 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/201677-rumour-royal-enfield-himalayan-abs-priced-rs-1-79-lakh.html)

Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS priced at Rs. 1.79 lakh

The Royal Enfield Himalayan is now available with dual-channel ABS. According to a media report, the standard Himalayan ABS is priced at Rs. 1,78,833, while the Himalayan Sleet ABS costs Rs. 1,80,669 (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS priced at Rs. 1.79 lakh-himalayan.jpg

Mechanically, the ABS equipped Himalayan is identical to the standard bike. It is based on a half-duplex split cradle frame featuring 41 mm telescopic fork suspension at the front and a monoshock at the rear. The bike is powered by a 411cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine that produces 24.5 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and 32 Nm of torque @ 4,250 rpm and comes mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

The bike's braking setup consists of a 300 mm disc with a 2-piston caliper at the front and a 240 mm disc with a single-piston caliper at the rear, while dual-channel ABS will now be added as a safety feature.

The Himalayan ABS has been listed on Royal Enfield's website. However, the bike maker is yet to formally announce the pricing.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

It's about damn time. During the time I spent with the Himalayan, I sorely missed the ABS. I'm a novice rider and the front end dive wasn't inspiring confidence while the rear would lock up with the lightest of taps.
With ABS, I could've gone hard on both ends, knowing that the electronics would do their part.

Update from the person on X-BHP who bought the REH ABS:

1. The addition of ABS has made the brake feel very positive. Especially, combined braking (as one is supposed to do) makes the bike very stable under braking and obviously the rear sliding is a thing of the past.

2. As I mentioned earlier, the ABS cannot be switched off.

3. On road Thane, Mumbai price is INR 2.19 lacs.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaheshY1 (Post 4456852)
It's about damn time. During the time I spent with the Himalayan, I sorely missed the ABS. I'm a novice rider and the front end dive wasn't inspiring confidence while the rear would lock up with the lightest of taps.
With ABS, I could've gone hard on both ends, knowing that the electronics would do their part.

You are correct in saying the ABS will put an end to the rear wheel locking up but you should know, the ABS will not do a thing about the front end diving during hard braking.

When a vehicle is being stopped, the kinetic energy of the moving machine and rider attempts to keep the vehicle moving but the brakes and tyre resist this.
This creates a force which compresses the front suspension springs resulting in the motorcycle diving.

Under very hard braking, although the front tyre has this large load making it grab the tarmac with a firm grip, a point can be reached where the tyre will begin to skid.
The likelihood of this happening if the tarmac is wet or covered with loose sand, gravel or mud is much higher which is the reason gentle braking under those conditions is important.

The addition of the ABS will allow the motorcycle to sense this skid and if it happens, the ABS will greatly reduce the braking pressure to allow the wheel to rotate.
The rotating wheel will stabilize the motorcycle, preventing it and the rider from crashing.

Although the ABS's reduction in the braking force will prevent the crash, it also will increase the distance the motorcycle will travel before it comes to a stop.

For this reason, it is a good idea to learn proper braking techniques and accept the fact that under heavy braking with or without ABS front end dive will happen.
In other words, do not count on the ABS to make up for a lack of proper riding knowledge or to save you if your speed exceeds safe limits under the conditions you are riding in.

Ride safe :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 4456936)
Although the ABS's reduction in the braking force will prevent the crash, it also will increase the distance the motorcycle will travel before it comes to a stop.

This holds true only on loose surfaces like gravel, mud, sand...

On tarmac, ABS will reduce braking distance when compared to non-ABS counterparts.

Would just like to mention, I've also booked the new Himalayan as soon I heard the ABS version is coming out(should get the delivery by the 20th on September).
The funny thing is though ABS on motorcycles is a good thing, non-switchable ABS on an adventure motorcycle is a dumb move.

I'd love to have ABS on the highways and city roads but I'd love to be able to switch off the ABS when I'm going off road! How are we supposed to make quick turns while braking the rear wheel off road(sorry I don't know the technical term for that move). Also, you are supposed to slip and slide a little when you're going off road on a motorcycle, I really hope this doesn't make the Himalayan useless off-road.
:deadhorse

Quote:

You are correct in saying the ABS will put an end to the rear wheel locking up but you should know, the ABS will not do a thing about the front end diving during hard braking.

This is not true. The situation you mentioned is a "stoppie" or rear wheel lift up, front wheel diving, this is also controlled by ABS. Rear wheel lift up is one of the biggest advantages of the dual channel ABS.

Quote:

The likelihood of this happening if the tarmac is wet or covered with loose sand, gravel or mud is much higher which is the reason gentle braking under those conditions is important.

These various scenarios are already covered during the calibration and application of vehicles before series release. Asphalt, Wet Asphalt, gravel, ceramic etc.

Quote:

Not entirely true, ABS reduces braking distance as well as stopping distance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg (Post 4456301)
The ABS cannot be switched off though.

Now that's a bummer. Unless one gets down from the bike every time they hit an off road trail and removes the ABS fuse, which itself is frustrating. IMO RE should've given a toggle switch to turn off the ABS for off road trail riding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by groom (Post 4457213)
This is not true. The situation you mentioned is a "stoppie" or rear wheel lift up, front wheel diving...

Not entirely true, ABS reduces braking distance as well as stopping distance.

I was not talking about "stoppies".

I described what happens when any vehicle is being stopped by giving the physics of what occurs.

The kinetic energy of the vehicle and rider compresses the springs in the front fork. This increased load results in the front of the motorcycle lowering or "diving".

As for the statement that ABS "reduces braking distance...", I must disagree with you.

When the ABS system senses a lockup of the wheel it greatly reduces the pressure being applied to the brake disk. It is the same thing that happens if you reduce the pressure on the brake lever.

Yes, the ABS pressure reduction is only momentary but the result just the same. It will always increase the distance required to stop.

The only way ABS could be said to reduce the stopping distance is if one compares what happens if the ABS wasn't there to what happens with it being there.

If ABS is present and it senses a skid, it prevents the skid from turning into a crash so eventually you will come to a safe stop.

If the ABS is not there, or it is turned off, the skidding tyre will continue to skid and on a motorcycle we all know what a skidding front tyre does. It almost instantly moves to the side and causes the motorcycle to crash.

Having been there and done that, I agree,under these conditions ABS will reduce the distance it takes to stop. My motorcycle skidded a long, long distance on its side before it finally came to a stop.

My reason for mentioning all of this is, I am afraid that some people believe that ABS will somehow cause their motorcycle to stop faster and make up for their lack of knowledge about riding techniques.

ABS can help to prevent some crashes but it can't make up for poor judgment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 4457514)

My reason for mentioning all of this is, I am afraid that some people believe that ABS will somehow cause their motorcycle to stop faster and make up for their lack of knowledge about riding techniques.

ABS can help to prevent some crashes but it can't make up for poor judgment.

This is indeed how ABS is beneficial. It does compensate for deficient technique. I have heard and read that many people who ride ABS equipped bikes just press the brake as hard as they can, secure in the knowledge that ABS will take care of locked wheels. These riders would normally not brake hard enough out of fear of locked wheels. Yes, ABS is a crutch but not everybody is highly skilled at riding.

So braking distance is reduced with ABS, not because of it but as a result of its presence. I just hope that my braking technique, which is nothing great now, doesn't deteriorate on my next bike which will definitely have ABS.

Anyone on the forum who's gotten their hands on the ABS REH yet? Please share your TD experience.

Pardon my ignorance, but can we expect an official review of the ABS REH by TBhp?

Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS priced at Rs. 1.79 lakh - Posts moved to a new thread.