Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 09:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials

Presently I own all RX series bikes sold in India (My RXZ, is bought and is yet to reach me).

As some of you are aware I do all my restorations myself. I and a friend were toying with the idea of creating a repository of DIY animations on how stuff works and how to repair/Replace items in Yamaha RX series bikes. The cost and labor involved with animation had killed the idea.

So I was playing with my new DSLR camera and the idea struck me, why not videos. During my restorations in the past, Wiring was an item which most requested me to create. So I am starting the series with wiring. More to follow. Feel free to comment below if you need me to create videos on any particular topic.

Wiring inside the headlight dome

Expertize level = Intermediate

Dismantling the carburettor for cleaning

Expertize level = Advanced

Cleaning up wiring

Expertize level = Expert

Changing RX handle

Swapping random parts

Replacing air filter element

Expertize level = Basic

Link to the channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgn...oMQ_HbKzDgJA5g

Please feel free to comment below if you would like to see anything specific

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials

Good initiative Pramod

I request your valuable efforts for further betterment, can we have the list of items with hyperlink on the initial post and followed by individual posts for each tutorial with some Dos & Don'ts, key comments, etc?

Tutorial request from my side
1) Carb tuning, float needle adjustment
2) Oil pump service (I remember posting the snaps on one of my thread, let me check)
3) Reading the spark plug (plenty are available online)
4) On the performance upgrade (Porting, timing, expansion chamber, etc)

Posting one of my DIY, if someone is getting it done it please make a tutorial video and post here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...yamaha-rx.html (DIY : 2T Oil Level Indicator for the Yamaha RX)
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 12:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Good initiative Pramod

I request your valuable efforts for further betterment, can we have the list of items with hyperlink on the initial post and followed by individual posts for each tutorial with some Dos & Don'ts, key comments, etc?

Tutorial request from my side
Quote:
1) Carb tuning, float needle adjustment
Carb Tuning and float needle adjustment video will be updated this weekend, I will try to upload the carb cleaning video using a carb cleaner today.

Quote:
2) Oil pump service (I remember posting the snaps on one of my thread, let me check)
I will shoot this video this Friday and try to update on the same day.

Quote:
3) Reading the spark plug (plenty are available online)
Yesterday I saw a discussion where a guy was advocating the use of more 2t for better performance and engine running cold, this made me think that most don't see the plug readings, I will try to create a comprehensive video.

Quote:
4) On the performance upgrade (Porting, timing, expansion chamber, etc)
This is also planned, once most of the basic topics are covered we will venture into this.

Quote:
Posting one of my DIY, if someone is getting it done it please make a tutorial video and post here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...yamaha-rx.html (DIY : 2T Oil Level Indicator for the Yamaha RX)
I will create a tutorial once I have the RXZ delivered to me, it would make more sense to do it on that, I don't intend to fix a 2T warning lamp on a RX, I run all of my bikes on premix

But this is a brilliant mod, very useful.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 12:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
for further betterment, can we have the list of items with hyperlink on the initial post and followed by individual posts for each tutorial with some Dos & Don'ts, key comments, etc?
Great thread Pramod sir. Your DIY videos will be of great help.

Posting 2 excellent threads from Xbhp regarding the same.
They have a huge sea of info on the Rx series.

Differences and Similarties of Rx Bikes

Faq's on Rx Bikes

Last edited by The Great : 18th September 2018 at 12:42.
The Great is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 14:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Great thread Pramod sir. Your DIY videos will be of great help.

Posting 2 excellent threads from Xbhp regarding the same.
They have a huge sea of info on the Rx series.

Differences and Similarties of Rx Bikes

Faq's on Rx Bikes
I have made a list of videos to be made.

Modifications to the bike is one of them, but its great that suggestions are pouring in. I have also planned to make a detailed video of how to buy different 2 stroke bikes and what to look for in each bike. I have a detailed guide ready for the RD, will shoot the video soon and will also create similar videos about what to look for in each Yamaha 2 strokes and Suzuki 2 strokes(primarily the shogun)

Regards,

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fixing a leaky RX 100 carb, cleaning using carb cleaner spray.

Expertize level = Advanced

Enjoy

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 13:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Presently I own all RX series bikes sold in India (My RXZ, is bought and is yet to reach me).

As some of you are aware I do all my restorations myself. I and a friend were toying with the idea of creating a repository of DIY animations on how stuff works and how to repair/Replace items in Yamaha RX series bikes. The cost and labor involved with animation had killed the idea.

So I was playing with my new DSLR camera and the idea struck me, why not videos. During my restorations in the past, Wiring was an item which most requested me to create. So I am starting the series with wiring. More to follow. Feel free to comment below if you need me to create videos on any particular topic.
Thank you Pramod for this thread. I have a 1989 RX100, but its not being used anymore and lying around for 6 years now. I had planned for a restoration but just couldn't get it kickstarted . Maybe this thread will give me that much needed push.
Old 19th September 2018, 15:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoŠ View Post
Thank you Pramod for this thread. I have a 1989 RX100, but its not being used anymore and lying around for 6 years now. I had planned for a restoration but just couldn't get it kickstarted . Maybe this thread will give me that much needed push.
I will also create a video on how to start an long unused bike

Pramod
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials

Quote:
Good initiative
1) float needle adjustment

Let me know if it needs more clarity.

Btw we have crossed 50 subscribers organically.

Something really helpful coming up.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 17:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Installing a carrier.

Expertize level = Basic

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 14:02   #11
BHPian

Thank You form this very interesting and useful thread. Rating it 5 stars. I have started working on my RX 100 instead of depending upon local mechanics.
Regards,
Ashok

Last edited by ashphil : 28th September 2018 at 14:03. Reason: grammatical error
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 16:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Thank You form this very interesting and useful thread. Rating it 5 stars. I have started working on my RX 100 instead of depending upon local mechanics.
Regards,
Ashok
i am honoured, feel free to ask any questions regarding anything RX/RD, i will try my level best to answer those.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 17:26   #13
BHPian

Appreciate the efforts, Promod! It always takes a great heart to share such knowledge on such an open platform. Especially in an era where knowledge sharing like this is only looked from a commercial angle.

Rated a well deserved 5 stars for your efforts.

(I envy your RX collection as well. It is getting better every day).

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Old 1st October 2018, 09:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Appreciate the efforts, Promod! It always takes a great heart to share such knowledge on such an open platform. Especially in an era where knowledge sharing like this is only looked from a commercial angle.

Rated a well deserved 5 stars for your efforts.

(I envy your RX collection as well. It is getting better every day).

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Thanks R-Six, What i am going to tell you is going to come as a surprise to many. I have not bought even a single bike in my collection. All are gifts from really generous people, Some of whom I knew, Some I didn't even know at the time they decided to bestow upon me their gifts. So i believe in a simple thing, keep doing what you like and don't expect anything in return, sometimes life has huge surprises in the form of a new bike.

I am lucky that I do not make a living(yet ) from my passion, but once you do, things change. None of the people who try to fleece you are bad people, they are just here to make a quick buck.

I am glad that my videos are of help to people. I need to work upon my laziness, I have great content ideas but absolutely no time to shoot or edit it . I have built a bible on how to buy these bikes, I am hoping to release the first instalment of the series by this month at least. First one is going to be how to buy an RD 350.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 12:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thanks R-Six, What i am going to tell you is going to come as a surprise to many. I have not bought even a single bike in my collection. All are gifts from really generous people, Some of whom I knew, Some I didn't even know at the time they decided to bestow upon me their gifts. So i believe in a simple thing, keep doing what you like and don't expect anything in return, sometimes life has huge surprises in the form of a new bike.

Pramod
Wow Pramod, That is quite surprising. I am sure it was your passion that let to you bagging such prized possessions.

Your videos are really very helpful and have inspired me to start performing routine maintenance on my RXG rather than heading to the mechanic every now and then.

One question - I run my bike on premix but the oil pump on my bike is still in working condition. Since there is no oil being pumped by the oil pump:
1. Will it not lead to pump wear and tear since it is running dry?
2. The carb would be sucking in air through the oil inlet port, won't this lean out the mixture?

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks