Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 00:09   #1
BHPian

Bajaj Dominar 400 with USD fork, twin-exhaust spotted

Dominar to get an update. Looks like the package will only get better.

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...-update-409744
thumpmeister is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 11:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bajaj Dominar 400 with USD fork, twin-exhaust spotted

Bajaj Dominar 400 with USD fork, twin-exhaust spotted - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:33   #3
BHPian

Initially I thought hey it might have been a mod job, but looking at those exhausts, they surely look like factory fits. Is Bajaj readying up to face the 650 twins from RE? They are not in the same CC brackets, but the power figures may be pretty close.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2018 at 11:36. Reason: Poorly typed post
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 13:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't get the point of this

IMO what Dominar needs is a bit of a redesign to update the styling which already looks dated

The real opportunity however is to have this capable motorcycle come in ADV guise

Couple of inches extra suspension travel front and rear, redesigned bodywork like slimmer tank to enable easy "stand up and ride" position and maybe strengthen the subframe a bit

Somebody needs to break this mould of launching vanilla motorcycles. Our roads aren't the best, but what we get here are sportbikes with 2 inches of suspension and a hunchback riding position. Himalayan was a breath of fresh air but RE made sure the "character" of its Classic range carrier over as well. While this spiel worked with the hipsters, those concerned with riding were less than enthused and the result is for everyone to see

Make it happen Bajaj!!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 13:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

IMO what Dominar needs is a bit of a redesign to update the styling which already looks dated

Won't say it Dated.

Just that from the rear, specially the tail light looks quite similar to the Pulsars. A change in the tail light design would do wonders.

The redesigned exhaust and USD forks are great. Hope the engine vibes are ironed out in the upgrade. Ride by wire, expected on this model.

Last edited by payeng : 19th September 2018 at 13:51.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 15:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Won't say it Dated.

Just that from the rear, specially the tail light looks quite similar to the Pulsars. A change in the tail light design would do wonders.

The redesigned exhaust and USD forks are great. Hope the engine vibes are ironed out in the upgrade. Ride by wire, expected on this model.
Spot on. From the rear even auto enthusiasts have trouble telling a Dominar and a Pulsar apart, so a fresh new tail with catchy LED design is a definite need. That will really make the Dominar stand out in a crowd. And secondly if it has a distinctive soundtrack like what Mahindra has managed with the Mojo, it would certainly up the character by quite a margin. I really hope that the dual silencer unit on this mule had been added for this purpose.

And yes, an ADV based on the Dominar's platform with long travel suspensions is a really good opportunity for Bajaj to add volumes and brand equity.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 16:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Make it happen Bajaj!!
I too agree on this. More equipment will not make this sell any more. The Dominar is already a well kitted machine. And why spoil the looks with that ghastly dual exhaust.

What the Dominar needs is a better identity. As you move up the pricing , you dont need more cooless, you need more character. Also I'm sure a majority of the motorcycle buyers in the 2 lakh rupee bracket are usually in the 30+ age bracket, and they dont want to go hyper riding at night. Give them a bike which has a good suspension and a easy going non stressed engine that can be used on a daily basis.

If i were to compare, the Dominar is a pair of sneakers while the RE feels like a pair of good old boots ! We know sneakers are cool , but I would prefer to be seen in a pair of good ol brown leather boots anyday !
coldice4u is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 18:42   #8
BHPian

Please get your sales team up to today's standards, Bajaj!!

I walked into the Bajaj showroom wanting a test ride last Friday (5 days ago) at 6 pm - their test ride bike was away in their stockyard! They took my contact details down and no one has bothered to call me back yet.

This was right after a visit to the Enfield showroom where they surprised me their entire range of motorcycles (except the TB-X) available for test ride - and I got the Himalayan in 5 mins flat.

Please wake up, Bajaj.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 19th September 2018 at 18:43.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Bajaj Dominar 400 with USD fork, twin-exhaust spotted - Post moved to a new thread.
Is there any advantage with having twin exhausts or is it just for aesthetic purposes?
Old 20th September 2018, 10:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Please get your sales team up to today's standards, Bajaj!!

I walked into the Bajaj showroom wanting a test ride last Friday (5 days ago) at 6 pm - their test ride bike was away in their stockyard! They took my contact details down and no one has bothered to call me back yet.

This was right after a visit to the Enfield showroom where they surprised me their entire range of motorcycles (except the TB-X) available for test ride - and I got the Himalayan in 5 mins flat.

Please wake up, Bajaj.
Not surprising considering the sales staff would be busy selling the entire lineup from fast selling CT/Platina to the evergreen Pulsars.

A Exclusive Pro-Biking type of sales network is needed. Ironically the Original Probiking set up came much before the revamped Royal Enfield's Network (with the new corporate CI) and the Maruti Nexa.

Just that the Nexa had the Baleno and Royal Enfield had its Classics to keep the exclusive network operation alive.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Spotted 2 camouflaged bikes today morning at an intersection. Exhaust sounded loud, not sure if it was due to twin-exhausts or if riders revved more than usual after crossing intersection.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 16:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Is there any advantage with having twin exhausts or is it just for aesthetic purposes?
The twin partition of the exhaust muffler is for improving the ground clearance of the bike. Current Dominar has a catalytic converter and resonator (ExhausTEC in bajaj marketing spiel) under the chassis. This hampers ground clearance badly.

Bajaj has repackaged the catalytic converter into the second part of the muffler (the bottom one without holes) - Similar to what TVS did with the Apache 4V series.

As for the twin holes on the top part of the muffler, its like a pressure-driven baffle. Until a certain engine RPM / mass flow rate, the exhaust gases are vented through one hole only. After reaching a certain engine RPM / mass flow rate of exhaust gases; the exhaust gases will pass through the 2nd hole as well. This 2nd hole will have a uniquely shaped internal resonator which will provide a higher decibel exhaust note at higher revs.

So, the bike will be silent at slow engine speeds and have a raspy beat at higher engine speeds.

Hope this clarifies.
Surya-TJet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 18:20   #13
BHPian

A new video had surfaced online which shows the all new updated 2019 Bajaj Dominar caught testing in Pune. This time the bike is fully camouflaged and the video author claims that it is faster than Duke 390 (I highly doubt that after viewing the video).The article which features the video claims to have report which suggest the bike may be launched in the first quarter of 2019 probably.

Source:https://gaadiwaadi.com/2019-bajaj-do...in-early-2019/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks