Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2018, 10:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Just when I thought that my 'born-again biker' dream was nearing fruition, Kawasaki Thane dealership decide to throw a spanner in the works. After being initially promised the deivery of Ninja 300 around Diwali, the dealership this week notified me that they have cancelled my booking and will be refunding the initial booking amount.

The reason? I had the audacity to write to Kawasaki India about the atrocious amounts that the dealership was charging under the garb of RTO charges. I had expected the company officials to get in touch with me to understand the issue.

On the contrary, all I receive is a WhatsApp message from the dealer informing me that since I am not in agreement with the terms, booking is cancelled. They don't even want to discuss or pacify the customer! The attitude is we are doing you a favour, take it or leave it!
Atrocious attitude of the dealer. Take the charges in writing and file a petition. These guys deserve some harsh treatment. Sometimes I wonder post reading the experiences with Kawasaki, does Kawasaki run the business or the dealers dictate Kawasaki to dance to their tunes. Without much options in the price range Kawasaki operates, they are having their time. But the same time never lasts.

Cancel the booking and ensure they dont deduct a penny. Instead, see if you can charge them the interest lost on the amount. Look for another bike and enjoy riding than dealing with rubbish behavior of the dealer.
nkrishnap is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 10:45   #17
BHPian

Re: Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Atrocious attitude of the dealer. Take the charges in writing and file a petition. These guys deserve some harsh treatment. Sometimes I wonder post reading the experiences with Kawasaki, does Kawasaki run the business or the dealers dictate Kawasaki to dance to their tunes. Without much options in the price range Kawasaki operates, they are having their time. But the same time never lasts.

Cancel the booking and ensure they dont deduct a penny. Instead, see if you can charge them the interest lost on the amount. Look for another bike and enjoy riding than dealing with rubbish behavior of the dealer.
The dealer is ready to give an invoice with these cost heads. They mentioned about some credit note. So they are not really concerned about any possible repurcussion of putting these on paper.

Also, I have decided to wait for the new Interceptor or the soon expected Yamaha R3 rather than debating with Kawasaki on ethics and principles.
greenoval is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 11:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

For past few weeks I have been sitting on the fence and trying to decide on a bike to help me past whatever remains of my mid life crisis. My list started right from the Dominar (actually not!) up to the Z650. The Kawa N300, Z650 were amongst the top contenders, with the others being RR310, RC390 and GS310.

I don’t have much of a problem about the fact that they are charging an extra 15k; I see that as an aspect of demand supply. Where I do have a problem is the shoddy treatment towards a customer. If this is the attitude during pre sale, then what can we expect their attitudes to be like in post sale? And to top it off, this attitude seems not just to be of the erring dealership, but the parent company itself! This latter, is a major red flag to me.

We have now seen these stories emerge about both Kawa and BMW, and I am going to strike these off my list.

I’ll look again at Yamaha R3 and continue with my other choices from KTM and TVS. Plus, I’ll likely save a lot of cash to get better riding equipment.
roy_libran is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 13:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Will request the thread starter to share the rejection screenshot from WhatsApp on this thread.
Attaching the terse reply on WhatsApp. Note that I had niether accepted/rejected the add-on charges nor did I threaten the dealer of booking cancellation. All I demanded was an explanation of the charges. I also forwarded a link of the court judgement to explain my apprehensions. Frankly, I would have still gone ahead with the purchase had Kawasaki shown some sensitivity when I wrote to them to understand their stand. However, before anything else came the decision from the dealer to cancel, making me realise that my choice to buy or not doesn't really matter. What matters is whether the dealer wants to sell the bike to you!
Attached Thumbnails
Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!-img20181007wa0003.jpg  

greenoval is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 13:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Some questions linger my mind -
Just wondering why is media so silent on this issue. This would be known to every one.
Also in such cases of cancellation how tough is it to take such dealers to consumer court?
Adding to it, even if someone purchases the vehicle by paying these additional charges, can dealer still be taken to court for these malpractices?
Major media players won't want to get in bad books of manufacturers, they do sponsor some of the trips they make abroad, plus give review vehicles for them.

Not everyone has a dedicated member base as that of team bhp, who now as evident are not dependent on manufacturers for review vehicles, thanks to some amazing members we have here.
AtheK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 14:04   #21
BHPian

Downright unethical. Why aren't automobile publications talking about it?

What I am surprised that is why the major automobile publications are not taking up a case against this. Are they so beholden to automobile manufacturers that they cannot see what is obviously a very wrong and unethical practice? It is common knowledge that in the the RTOs across states, bribe taking at all levels flourishes rampantly without a check.

I expected responsible magazines like Autocar India, Overdrive, Top Gear etc. to come up with at least one detailed article about this corrupt practice - dwelling into the details of organised corruption in RTOs across states, as well as the complicity of automobile dealers in facilitating these corrupt practices, but none of the automobiles magazines, not one, has come up with such an article. Leave alone detailed , investigative journalism, they haven't even acknowledged the fact that such corrupt practices exist. What are they here for? To only churn out flowery worded articles about the launch of cars or peddle industry gossip as scoops ? What are they afraid of? Of losing their all expenses paid (by car manufacturers) trip to exotic travel destinations? Or of losing advertisement revenues? Is it not their
ethical responsibility as automobile publications, to their readers/subscribers/followers and society at large, to also expose corrupt practices in all things connected to automobiles, like this particular one of dealers charging what is obviously an unmandated charge?

Shameful, really.

A hard hitting article, ( I'd prefer one by Shubhabrata Marmar, in his immensely readable, accurate & investigative journalistic style) will cause a lot of people to sit up and take notice and may even lead them to make a conscious effort to not pay bribes while buying automobiles. Maybe it will be a start.

(PS: Have you thought of writing to the MD of India Kawasaki Motors, again? Maybe you should consider writing to their head, both Indian and Global to apprise them of this corrupt practice being indulged in by the dealers as well as the abrupt and unethical way in which they cancelled your booking without even giving any reason for it. Maybe you don't want to go ahead with booking a Kawasaki as of now but still it wouldn't hurt to let the top leadership know of what rot is setting in at the dealership level)

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 7th October 2018 at 14:22.
Ironhide is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Re: Downright unethical. Why aren't automobile publications talking about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Have you thought of writing to the MD of India Kawasaki Motors? I think you should write to their heads, both Indian and global to apprise them of this corrupt practice being indulged in by the dealers as well as the abrupt and unethical way in which they cancelled your booking without even giving any reason for it. Maybe you don't want to go ahead with booking a Kawasaki as of now but still it wouldn't hurt to let the top leadership know of what rot is setting in at the dealership level

Cheers !
I did think about writing to some of the top honchos at Kawasaki but then had some apprehensions primarily because Kawasaki India seems have to hit a pruple patch in terms of demand for their offerings and a single customer raising voice hardly will matter. Take the case of Ninja 300 ABS. The irrationally high percentage that is being charged as handling costs relative to the ex-showroom price has not deterred buyers. For one cancellation there is a generous number of smitten buyers lined up, happy at the prospect of an early delivery thanks to the cancellation. Then there are Vloggers circling these showrooms, hyping up every delivery and the dealership unboxing experience. The RTO setup is corrupt to the core and the dealer has the audacity to not only openly mention but also document the additional costs at RTO.

I might still go ahead and write to the top officials but deep down I know it will be a futile exercise.
greenoval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 15:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I might still go ahead and write to the top officials but deep down I know it will be a futile exercise.
Yea it may go the same way as BMW case went. Both India and international representatives will just feign ignorance saying - its between the customer and the dealership..we have no control whatsoever
quickfox11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 15:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I don’t have much of a problem about the fact that they are charging an extra 15k; I see that as an aspect of demand supply. Where I do have a problem is the shoddy treatment towards a customer.
Exactly.

Everyone is collecting handling charges one way or the other, but what really reeks arrogance is the take it or leave it, attitude.

Quote:
I did think about writing to some of the top honchos at Kawasaki but then had some apprehensions primarily because Kawasaki India seems have to hit a pruple patch in terms of demand for their offerings and a single customer raising voice hardly will matter.

A single letter won't have the visibility of a Team-Bhp thread. Still if you are going ahead with it, please leave a link to this thread as well.

I feel this story will be picked up by some other sites as well on Monday morning. I'm not expecting the likes of Autocar, Overdrive etc to publish it though.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 18:47   #25
BHPian

How about highlighting it on social media ?

Quote:
The RTO setup is corrupt to the core and the dealer has the audacity to not only openly mention but also document the additional costs at RTO.
Maybe you could walk down to the RTO himself and show him the quote which explicitly mentions the handling charges. Or you could do one better by writing to the RTO asking for his take on the subject, with a copy to the transport minister of the state.

Quote:
There is no harm in trying. After all, you are the aggrieved party, and you happen to be on the right side of law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Yea it may go the same way as BMW case went. Both India and international representatives will just feign ignorance saying - its between the customer and the dealership..we have no control whatsoever
What would really get their goat would be if the OP highlights this issue on social media and it snowballs. That will have Kawasaki squirming in their pants, trying in vain to cover up what is universally known, that car/motorcycle manufacturers turn a blind eye to these corrupt practices of their own dealerships. Even the RTO would have to take notice and maybe be forced to initiate necessary steps to curb such practices.

There's a thread on the forum on this.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...companies.html

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 7th October 2018 at 18:50.
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 20:44   #26
Team-BHP Support

Most of the guys at these companies are MBA’s or alike and they are tought

The article/ controversy will die down eventually anyway

Sad but true, this is from my personal interactions with guys at helm.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 22:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

While we fight and discuss this as internet warriors, the ground reality is..
Attached Thumbnails
Ninja 300: When questioned about high handling charges, Kawasaki Thane cancels booking!-baby-ninja.jpg  

AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 23:22   #28
Team-BHP Support

Re: How about highlighting it on social media ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Even the RTO would have to take notice and maybe be forced to initiate necessary steps to curb such practices.
In most places, these 'handling charges' are necessitated because of corrupt RTO practices..

I doubt they will legally pitch in - if that was the case, a court order would not have gone ignored for so long, and so visibly across states, dealerships and brands.
Old 8th October 2018, 00:56   #29
BHPian

Caution: Very long post. I'm a noob at “premium brand experiences” and I'm not really sure if this is what a premium experience should feel like. So I'm going as detailed as possible, so other Bhp-ians can draw their own conclusions.

So this was my experience with Kawasaki Mumbai:

Wednesday afternoon
I call up the dealership.
Me: Hey there, I'm interested in the new N300 and I was hoping to get some information regarding the service and the spare parts costs. Have they become cheaper with localisation now?

Kawa S.E: We can't provide spare parts cost at this time……

Me: Would you be able to at least give me a rough estimate for often used spare parts like accelerator/clutch cables, brake pads, etc? Im looking at the R3 too, and the deciding factor between the N300 and the R3 is going to be the maintenance cost.

Kawa S.E: Yes, we will get it from the system and let you know. You can even consider the N400, it's more powerful than the R3 and…….

Me: I was actually following the N400 since it was announced internationally. But for the life of me I can't justify the price you are asking for it! Just can't!

Kawa S.E: Why don't you test ride the N300 and N400 and then decide?

Me: (Ecstatic) Sure, you're on! How about this Saturday? At 11:30 am?

Kawa S.E:(After taking down my contact details) Done.

I was very excited after this conversation. Not only was I getting a proper test ride of the N300 but also the N400, a bike I was drooling over for months now!

Me : (daydreaming at work) This is great. I'm going to get to ride two phenomenal machines this Saturday. I'm going to take a lot of pics, especially of the 400 and post it on T-BHP with a small first impressions review, like my namesake, Shumi from Overdrive! Hehe, I should quit my job and review motorcycles for a living, Wonder how does one apply for a job like that? Would they consider a noob like me?

Boss: (staring daggers at me) SHUMI?!

Me: (getting back to work thinking) Maaan, the weekend could’nt get here faster.

Thursday Morning.
Going through my emails, I find an email from Kawasaki dated 11th September, informing me that I'm getting a pen drive for answering the survey they requested a few days ago. I posted about the survey HERE (Kawasaki Ninja 300 prices to drop thanks to heavy localisation. EDIT: Launched at 2.98 lakhs)

Me: (daydreaming at work again) Wow! Kawasaki sure does make a good first impression! Is this what all the “premium brand” hullabaloo is all about? Will they let me have one of those cool KRT T-Shirts instead of the pen drive? I sure hope they waive off the handling charges. Why doesn't Yamaha provide test rides of the R3?

Boss: (exasperated) SHUMI?!

Me: (thinking) The weekend could'nt be here faster, SMH.

Friday Afternoon.
I call up the dealership again to confirm everything. I also get an email confirmation from them, just in case.

Saturday Morning.
I reach the Kawasaki dealership exactly at 11:30am. The Triumph dealership is next door. Stop to stare longingly at a Red Street Triple S parked outside for a few minutes, telling my (uninterested in motorcycles) friend riding pillion with me, why the ST is the best motorcycle in the world. Moved on towards Kawasaki, still looking at the Street Triple in my right RVM. Absolutely mesmerized by it!! Parked my Gixxer beside a white Z650. Was greeted by 2 Green Ninja 300’s and one N400 standing right at the door! I (wrongly, as I found out later) assumed that they had already kept the bikes ready for test rides. Really excited, I walked into the dealership with anticipation.

Walked through assorted Kawasaki bikes, a few N300’s, mostly green and a couple of blues’ at the end on my right and a black Vulcan S, Z1000 a few versys 650’s and surprisingly a grey versys 1000 on my right, towards a guy sitting at a table, staring at a computer screen. The table was flanked by 4 Ninja 400’s on the left and a ZX10R on the right.

Guy at the table (henceforth GATT): (Like one of those bouncers at a highly exclusive nightclub, almost scowling): Yes?

Me: Hi! I'm interested in the Ninja…….

GATT:(showing me his palm, curtly) Wait a minute…(goes back to staring at the computer)

My friend and I exchanged a WTH look, slightly irritated, I turned to the blue N300 parked to my right, started checking it out. About 10 minutes later, GATT finally comes over to me standing by the blue N300.

GATT: (Still in the bouncer tone, almost scowling) That's a customer's bike.

Me: (Mildly Annoyed) Yes, I understood that looking at the number plate. FYI, I did not touch the bike, just looking at it as the blue is the one I intend to get.

GATT: So how can I help you?

Me: I'm interested in the Ninja 300 and…….

GATT: The price is 3.79 lakh on-road……

Me: Yes, I know that, I was in touch with one of your colleagues, he was supposed to give me an estimated cost for some regularly used spare parts and also offered test rides for the N300 and N400.

GATT: All test bikes have gone for refueling, will return in half an hour and we don't give out spare parts costs to customers.

Me: But I confirmed over the phone as well as via email yesterday!

GATT: ***Shrugs*** You could wait for the bikes to return?

Me: (Trying my best to be courteous) Hmmm….Could you be kind enough to answer a few questions about the bike in the interim?

GATT: Ya

Me: Would you mind if I were to get insurance on my own? I'm not really happy with only one year of zero dep insurance and 4 years of 3rd party. As it is, your spare parts costs are high.

GATT: You won't get a better deal anywhere. I can offer you RSA for the warranty period too. (30k kms or 2 years which ever is earlier)

Me: Hmmm…..You quoted me 59 odd thousand rupees as RTO charges. A rough calculation however, puts the taxes (12%) at almost 36k. What's the rest of the amount for?

GATT: There's something known as service charges. For the arrangements to bring the vehicle from the factory to the showroom. Arrangements to get the bike registered etc. The company does not pay for it, the dealer has to.

Me: Isn't all that included in the ex-showroom price? Recently we had a consumer court judgment, which struck down these handling charges and…..

GATT: Sorry, these charges are not negotiable.

Me: Final question. If I were to decide to buy the N300, I would like to keep a small part of the prlce of the bike, let's say 25k pending till you deliver the bike. As soon as you handover the keys, I will credit the balance amount to you instantly. This way I have some leverage in case you deliver a bike with dings/scratches or in case something is not working. I also would like to do a PDI before you send the bike for registration.

GATT: PDI’s are done when the truck arrives from the factory, generally 1-2 am in the night. I won't order the bike from the factory unless you make full payment. We are not selling your cheap 150cc bike here.

Me: (sarcastically) Thanks for your time and help.

GATT: The bikes are here, you might as well take a test ride.

Me: Hmmm…...

I stepped out with the keys feeling not so good as I sat on the bike and thumbed the starter, immediately noticing it had an awesome sounding aftermarket exhaust. And like motorcycles often do for us, it made me forget the continuously condescending tone of GATT. Took a short test ride till the next U-turn and returned. GATT took 10 minutes to take back the keys to the test bike and return my license. I had enough and left without even asking about the N400. Although, I did stop to stare at the Street Triple once again.
Shumi_21 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 02:42   #30
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
[b]
Saturday Morning.
I reach the Kawasaki dealership exactly at 11:30am. The Triumph dealership is next door. Stop to stare longingly at a Red Street Triple S parked outside for a few minutes, telling my (uninterested in motorcycles) friend riding pillion with me, why the ST is the best motorcycle in the world.
Although, I did stop to stare at the Street Triple once again.
I am telling you - you should have stepped inside the Triumph showroom. It would have been the experience of a lifetime. Maybe you would not have bought the bike - but the experience would be unforgettable. That's the main difference between the Triumph and Kawasaki showrooms.
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks