Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2020, 00:02   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!

Update : 44,3xx kms.

Got a service done at 42.xxx kms. Replaced front brake pads and rotors. Went to this multi brand shop called 'Motodynamics'. Run by a enthusiast Jaideep who was into professional racing circuit. Small shop but they give enough attention.

Also changed the oil, filter etc. There was a slight pulling to the right and it was suspected to be the coneset. Seems it'll run another 5000 kms and hence not replaced. Overall bill was a hefty 9K (rotors + pads were almost 3.5K).

Wanted to go for a long ride as the year end was approaching and decided to hit Goa. Did a non-stop run to both sides in a span of 2 weeks. Was quite tiring but the machine didnt flinch a bit. Most stretches got me between 30-35 kmpl except the Baga to Polem stretch which I speculate to be at 40 kmpl due to speeds under 80 kmph.

Overall, CBR continues to amaze me. This is a very capable bike and if roads are smooth, is wonderful to ride on. Bad roads give it's share of discomfort owing to stiff suspension and can wear you down. Also used the long ride to experiment with different fuel. Started off with BP from a Platinum outlet and switched to Essar (after hearing loads of positive reviews from bhpian hserus) and then to Reliance. Essar was the smoothest and Reliance the most gruff. Have been trying to source Essar as much and I believe I'll stick to it. Have tried Shell too - while its good, couldnt find the same smoothness as Essar. IOC / HP also returned below average respose as well.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th January 2020 at 00:09.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 20:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Update : 44,3xx kms.

Got a service done at 42.xxx kms. Replaced front brake pads and rotors. Went to this multi brand shop called 'Motodynamics'. Run by a enthusiast Jaideep who was into professional racing circuit. Small shop but they give enough attention.

Thanks for the detailed updates on your thread. You've encouraged me to take the leap into putting down some money for a used CBR 250, the ABS version. Taking the bike for a test ride tomorrow and then to the showroom for a thorough check. Would be great to hear from you on any things I should check for - do let me know. The owner is expecting ~60k for a 2011 model with 54k on the odo - is this a reasonable price? Chennai registered bike, in black.
spiritofmars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 02:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

Just seeing your post...
Quote:
Bad roads give it's share of discomfort owing to stiff suspension and can wear you down
Well, my experience is quite the opposite; C250R is Volvo of two-wheeler. Nothing, absolutely no motorcycle comes close to the Pro-Link suspension. Fellow CBR rider & I were sitting & riding the borders of KA-KL via Sulliya (used to be damn bad during 2012), stretches in RJ after Pali where trucks used to crawl at 30 & I was happily cruising in 60+ that too comfortably seated. If you say the suspension is stiffer, then there had to be a mod from the stock setting in form of springs or oil
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 14:11   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just seeing your post...

Well, my experience is quite the opposite; C250R is Volvo of two-wheeler. Nothing, absolutely no motorcycle comes close to the Pro-Link suspension...
Been hearing on these lines from multiple sources now and I am wondering if there's anything wrong with the suspension or the settings. How many settings are there and what's the most balanced setting?

Also, any tips on the oil - wouldnt mind giving it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars View Post
Thanks for the detailed updates on your thread. You've encouraged me to take the leap into putting down some money for a used CBR 250, the ABS version. Taking the bike for a test ride tomorrow and then to the showroom for a thorough check. Would be great to hear from you on any things I should check for - do let me know. The owner is expecting ~60k for a 2011 model with 54k on the odo - is this a reasonable price? Chennai registered bike, in black.
I got a very well maintained bike, so there was nothing loose or making sound. One of the bikes I tested had the ABS light blinking all the way and it's a problem. The ABS light is supposed to go off when you hit 10 kmph or so.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th February 2020 at 14:16. Reason: Merged as requested. Thank you!
Old 15th February 2020, 18:19   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering if there's anything wrong with the suspension or the settings. How many settings are there and what's the most balanced setting?
Nothing called balanced, basically depends on the load of the vehicle; from my experience tailbag with one week road trip stuff, 4/5 should be OK to handle bad roads. 3 is ideal for rider on any roads.

Quote:
any tips on the oil - wouldnt mind giving it a shot
Boss, let me tell you what many keyboard warriors do; simply read multiple posts, lot of theory & come to a conclusion & make a lighting post. You really don't want to hear them speak in real life, that's when you know for sure light travels faster than sound!!

Basically you can opt even for Honda's 10W30 which is inferior to Motul 7100 10W40 which in turn is slightly inferior to Shell 10W40. So Motul & Shell are THE SUPERIOR ones, no doubt. But Shell being superior in technology is cheaper than Motul. So which one to choose? Obviously I'm a fan of engineering than the brand, so that makes me choose Shell.

So now to the fact, be it oil from HMSI, Shell or Motul, all one got to do is TOP-UP, TOP-UP & TOP-UP, which everyone forgets. Even oil is susceptible for evaporation, just that its not immediate. From my couple of 10000 Km of observation with HMSI oil, the top up is required around 2500-3000 odd Km & if you keep topping it by checking the levels, then even that oil is good enough for slightly over 6000 Km; YES, slightly over 6000 Km

Now to Shell, same principle, but around 3500-4000 Km, top-up & then keep topping up every 1000-1500 Km & damn sure the gear shifts are smooth even up to 8000 Km. But then, the running has to continuous; means, not like I take an year to do 8000 Km & still expect engine oil to last. Say, you do a trip of 8000 odd Km & the engine oil WILL LAST if you follow this topping up method.

On that aspect, I would say any good synthetic engine oil can be used; method & grade are more important than the brand.

Last edited by aargee : 15th February 2020 at 18:22.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 20:23   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing called balanced, basically depends on the load of the vehicle; from my experience tailbag with one week road trip stuff, 4/5 should be OK to handle bad roads. 3 is ideal for rider on any roads.

Boss, let me tell you what many keyboard warriors do; simply read multiple posts, lot of theory & come to a conclusion & make a lighting post. You really don't want to hear them speak in real life, that's when you know for sure light travels faster than sound!!

Basically you can opt even for Honda's 10W30 which is inferior to Motul 7100 10W40 which in turn is slightly inferior to Shell 10W40. So Motul & Shell are THE SUPERIOR ones, no doubt. But Shell being superior in technology is cheaper than Motul. So which one to choose? Obviously I'm a fan of engineering than the brand, so that makes me choose Shell..
Alright - will check the suspension setting next time. Another interesting thing I recollected recently is that my seat is also very hard. Guess its because of the seat cover. The stock seats from Honda is plush.

I have been on Motul for the last 1.5 years, was thinking you talked about suspension / fork oil. And I change the oil in a 4.5/5K interval.
Old 16th February 2020, 20:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The stock seats from Honda is plush
I'm on stock still; I'm changing the handle bar grips now.

Quote:
And I change the oil in a 4.5/5K interval.
5K is too much; if you use Shell, that oil easily lasts over 6K, PROVIDED the top-up model is being followed religiously.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 08:10   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Basically you can opt even for Honda's 10W30 which is inferior to Motul 7100 10W40 which in turn is slightly inferior to Shell 10W40. So Motul & Shell are THE SUPERIOR ones, no doubt. But Shell being superior in technology is cheaper than Motul. So which one to choose? Obviously I'm a fan of engineering than the brand, so that makes me choose Shell.

So now to the fact, be it oil from HMSI, Shell or Motul, all one got to do is TOP-UP, TOP-UP & TOP-UP, which everyone forgets. Even oil is susceptible for evaporation, just that its not immediate. From my couple of 10000 Km of observation with HMSI oil, the top up is required around 2500-3000 odd Km & if you keep topping it by checking the levels, then even that oil is good enough for slightly over 6000 Km; YES, slightly over 6000 Km

Now to Shell, same principle, but around 3500-4000 Km, top-up & then keep topping up every 1000-1500 Km & damn sure the gear shifts are smooth even up to 8000 Km. But then, the running has to continuous; means, not like I take an year to do 8000 Km & still expect engine oil to last. Say, you do a trip of 8000 odd Km & the engine oil WILL LAST if you follow this topping up method.

On that aspect, I would say any good synthetic engine oil can be used; method & grade are more important than the brand.
I have seen many comparing a 10w40 shell ultra and Motul 7100 with 10w30 Honda Throttle. The Kinematic viscosity at 100 degree c for both the grades are different which is the oil Thickness usually around what our CBR’s run after warm up.

Comparing the data sheet of 10w30 oils, kinematic viscosity at 100 deg varies from 10.5 to 11.5. For 10w40 oils it varies from 13.5 to 14.5 roughly. This is also one of the major reasons why we see a difference between Motul 7100 which is 13.5 and Shell ultra with 14.2 after couple of Kms run.

Have anyone used a 10w30 other than Honda throttle to really compare the oil provided by Honda? I did not find the data sheet online.

Some data sheet links are below for your views.

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1503539285

http://rkpl.com.bd/wp-content/upload...10W-40-TDS.pdf

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1579620195
sreerama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:16   #69
BHPian

Lovely thread Sir, very detailed! I own the CBR too, through the same pre-owned route, that is. I'd love to start my own thread after reading yours and a couple more ownership reviews!

Any updates in the last 2-3 months? I hope you're safe
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 01:55   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Lovely thread Sir, very detailed! I own the CBR too, through the same pre-owned route, that is. I'd love to start my own thread after reading yours and a couple more ownership reviews!

Any updates in the last 2-3 months? I hope you're safe
Thank you - please do start a thread, am sure it will be useful to someone.

No news as the bike hardly has run during the last 5 months. I believe its at 45,3xx kms now and going strong. Since I have an open parking, the bike was exposed to recent rain.

I took it for a ride one of the days after rains, just to realize it doesn't shift to 3rd or above. Had to go somewhere important and decided to ride it in 2nd all the way if required. The gear shifted to 3rd after 5 kms of riding and then after another km, to 4, 5 & 6 finally!!!

The same issue repeated after a gap of 3-4 days again. Called up Motodynamics and requested them to pick up the bike from my place to check the issue / general check up + I had noticed rust spots in many places.

The bike was returned in 2 days and no replacements had to be done. They also reported no issue in gear shifts. I was told it needs an oil change by Jan 2021 if at all as the engine was smooth.

The bill was 17xx including all checks + clean up + water wash + chain cleaning cum lube. The kind of refinement of the bike is something I fall in love with - discourages me from an upgrade any time soon. Even the clutch is super soft compared to FZ25.

Am told the suspension has become hard and I can change if I wish but the current one will work fine. Overall, the experience with the bike & Motodynamics continue to be sweet. I think timely / pro-active replacements does keep the bike happy.

--------------

I'd love to know if anyone has changed their CBR's suspension - would love to know the cost involved.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th July 2020 at 02:02.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 16:20   #71
BANNED

Quote:
I took it for a ride one of the days after rains, just to realize it doesn't shift to 3rd or above. Had to go somewhere important and decided to ride it in 2nd all the way if required. The gear shifted to 3rd after 5 kms of riding and then after another km, to 4, 5 & 6 finally!!!
Next time you change oil or clutch just change the shifter lever and shift drum stopper and all springs involved. Don't even think about it, blindly change.

Both these parts are responsible for how your motorcycle shifts, there are other parts but they're harder to break and if by chance you've ruined them that'd require the case to be split so don't bother.

Concern with these parts are that they cost peanuts to buy but are cumbersome to replace considering that the clutch cover has to be take off. But the reason its best not to ignore it is cause if they do give up when on an extended ride you're royally screwed.

Ask this guy;

Thumb rule that I follow is to replace any consumable that comes in the way of replacing parts, that means shifter seals, gaskets, clutch friction plates, clean oil strainer etc.

Ride Safe,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 25th July 2020 at 16:25.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 20:53   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Next time you change oil or clutch just change the shifter lever and shift drum stopper and all springs involved. Don't even think about it, blindly change...

Ride Safe,
A.P.
Yep - I never spare replacements. Spoke to Jai from Motodynamics and he said he'll try to procure the gasket and then do a complete check again. The corona situation is slowing down the part procurement.
Old 4th August 2020, 14:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:

I got the bike on 7th May 2018 and paid the full amount.

Attachment 1806133
Thanks for sharing your experience swiftnfurious. I am also contemplating the same now and pretty much sure that I would go ahead with CBR 250R ABS version (though need a perfect seller )

Just wanted to ask if I need to avoid any particular year model due to some inherent issue ?
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 00:27   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Moving it here as the other thread is an ownership thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Did you go through olx and likes? How much time it took for you to find the "One".
I took a whole YEAR from deciding to finally purchasing the bike. A fair level of details are on the first page of this thread including my shortlists etc. But then, am someone who usually will not budge from what I want (even minor specifications) how much ever time I take to get, new or pre-owned - even for items less than Rs.1000/-

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th August 2020 at 00:29.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 01:53   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys - does anyone know how much does a suspension overhaul costs for the CBR250? As I mentioned, the ride is stiff and the are wobbles on the rear tyre too - makes me think it could be the suspension worn out. The tyres are due for a replacement and I'd get a suspension overhaul done before changing the tyres. The bike's done about 45,000 kms so far.

Most Viewed