Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 22:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!

This is my second pre-owned purchase after my Palio 1.6 GTX. Did I set myself a goal to buy a pre-owned bike - No! We'll come to it in a bit.

Need for a bike:
Have to say that the Palio was indeed the cause of buying the new bike. Palio gives a meagre 6-8 kmpl in B2B traffic conditions and being in Mumbai for sometime meant I felt the pain in finding a parking slot within the city for short drives. I thought a bike will be easier for parking and better short trips at a lesser cost.

I picked up a job in Chennai later and life was going normal. I got an Activa for a weekend and I loved the ease of taking it for short spins, making getaways faster in the dense traffic and I found myself a lot more often wanting to go out and not sit in the room over the weekends.

Now, my biking was restricted to some very short rides in the last 10-12 years and on a Hero Honda Passion and some short spins on a Unicorn. The Unicorn felt so good compared to Passion after 80 kmph but I was never bothered about the tech specs.

Criteria:
  • ABS - MUST, This is something which the bike had to have
  • Faired bike - I have been a fan of faired stylish bikes from my childhood; high on priority, but could compromise
  • Reliable - MUST, The Palio religiously visits the workshop 2-3 times in a year for repairs / replacements based on tantrums. The bike couldn't be one like this
  • Comfortable Cruiser - MUST, capable of cruising at 100-120 kmph with least strain
  • Refinement - MUST, the ride has to be smooth and less vibrations
  • Cost : Upto 2.5L, OTR

Probable List:
  • Pre-Owned (Habanero RED) CBR
  • New Gixxer SF
  • Dominar
  • New CBR 250
  • TVS Akula
  • RC 390
  • Ninja 300 &
  • Yamaha R3 - Both didn't have ABS, so wasn't serious about it.

Vote of Thanks:
Aargee, PrasannaDhana

During the whole journey, I had bugged Prasanna to the core and aargee to a good extent. Both of them were very helpful and always answered my questions and provided some very knowledgeable inputs.

The selection journey (over a year!)

By now, some of you have realized something wrong with the shortlisted vehicles and comment written against it. It's true, because I took a whole 1 year to purchase my bike.

I did put a query in the "What bike" section and keep getting confused on the inputs. I started reading on some of the ownership threads and Prasanna's thread gained a lot of interest since he used to update it on a regular basis. From someone who wanted a black CBR (if it's the one), I made up my mind to buy a RED one, if it's a CBR 250. That shade grew up on me every time I went through his ownership report.

I started asking a lot of questions to Prasanna and we shortly became buddies and a lot of pics / info shared over WhatsApp. When I almost made up my mind on the CBR 250, he dropped a bomb stating the Gixxer is an extremely fun to ride machine. So, from a pre-owned bike, I started to think of buying a brand new Gixxer SF, for almost the same price (of a pre-owned CBR 250). Again, when I started thinking about it, there was no ABS, but they soon (over the course of time) added a single channel ABS.

I went to the showroom (Maya Suzuki) and they didn't have a TD vehicle even after a month of launch, neither they seemed excited about a sale.

In the mean while, I came across a nice 2013 CBR for an asking price of 1.2L or so and told him I am ok with a 85K. Guy says he's ok and rides all the way from Trichy or so to show me the vehicle. The vehicle was a well maintained one and then he rolls his eyes when I mention the price. It also was in fact a 2nd owner with the ownership not transferred. I raised my price to 90K but he said he'll find another buyer. The guy was still running on stock tyres and even advised me to continue so as to save on the expense.

Now, it was almost 2018 and the Auto Expo was on cards - I hoped Honda will re-launch the CBR 250 and Yamaha also might launch the R3 ABS version. I was also very closely following the TVS Akula as well. However, the prices of both CBR & R3 was on the higher side to me and even the RR310 launched with a higher price than expected. Plus, I was advised by many not to buy the TVS from the initial batches. The waiting periods because of controlled delivery quickly shot upto 3-4 months for the RR310.

Now, I started my search back in OLX & Quikr and one thing I noticed was the snobbish attitude of the sellers. It's as if they were doing a favor by parting with their bikes or giving it for free - most of them didn't bother to post full details or even bothered to respond to queries. And I wasn't going to let go of my ego either; after all, I was "paying" for the bike.

Over time, I realized that finding a nice, well maintained, reasonably run CBR 250 with ABS was a task in itself. And when you find one, the price was always on the higher side and the owners willing not to negotiate.

I was so frustrated that I included "Black" color into my list along with Red and shortlisted two bikes on OLX. Went to TD the black bike in the morning, but I quite didn't like it. The owner was also not very keen on reducing the price by much. Told him I have another TD in the afternoon and will get back after riding it.

In the afternoon, the other bike was brought to my place and I started it and moved - boy o boy, was I smitten!!!! I knew this was the bike for me - it imeediately made a connection to my heart and I was all grinning. The owner was a nice guy and told me I don't even have to pay the token and I can pay the full amount when I take the bike. He was also ok to get it checked completely though it was serviced just that month.

I got the bike on 7th May 2018 and paid the full amount. The owner, Mr. Praveen had already got his RR310 as his new vehicle. I took the bike early in the morning as I didn't want to face the traffic and wasn't so accustomed to regular riding. The bike was easy to ride and came back home happily without any incident. Was quite happy with the smoothness and power on tap for an almost newbie rider.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp007.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 20:05.
swiftnfurious is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 1 year & 10,000 km up!

• ABS - it has saved me already couple of times. The confidence it gives me is priceless
  • Looks - I like my faired bikes.
  • Phenomenal Value (on a pre-owned)
  • Quick accelaration
  • Smooth engine
  • Reliability of a Honda - aargee has clocked a lakh km on his CBR; that says it all.
  • Enough power for cruising at 100 kmph & comfortable
  • Decent FE - 30 kmpl on highway rides

Could be better:
  • Very minimalistic console - would have loved a gear indicator or a little more flair. The N300 has a much better console.
  • Fuel tank capacity - Would have been happy with a 17L tank Vs 14L
  • Service capability - haven't really heard much in positive about the A$$ though I have had not much issues
  • Certain parts availability
  • Headlight - it's just about adequate
  • Slipper clutch - there have been times I have shifted down a little aggressive and felt the rear wheel locking (in spite of Michelin at the rear)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 20:07.
swiftnfurious is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp005.jpg

The fairing with countoured petrol tank - helps you grip the bike with your thighs while riding fast.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp004.jpg

The clean, minimalistic console. While you switch on, the needle does a 180 degree swipe. the ABS warning light is also seen. Goes off once you hit 10 kmph

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp022.jpg

Another view of the console. Get a clock, one trip meter, engine temp, odo and fuel level indicator.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp006.jpg

The view once you are set. Got bhp? Yes, indeed!

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp008.jpg

The heart & soul - the name which commands a premium. 250 cc, 26 bhp.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp012.jpg

The radiator - looks new as it IS new as I replaced it recently. Details in the below post.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp023.jpg

The anchor - Nissin brakes along with ABS. The non-ABS version gets BYBRE brakes

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp010.jpg

The brake light - gets a halogen.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp011.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 16:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 23:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove close to 2000 kms in the last 5 months.

Engine:

The bike is very eager to move from stand still (if you revv it decently). I have been loving all those quick sprints at the traffic light and moving ahead of all to have my space rather than having to juggle the bike. The bike is happy if you shift gears @ 3.5K, I sometimes take it to 5.5K before shifting the gear. I have to say this bike is a very forgiving one - even a comparative newbie like me could slot into a wrong gear and the bike will still chug along with a little protest.

I have gone to a max 110 kmph (in a traffic free road) so far and the bike is accommodating though the owner & my friends have told about another 60 kmph speed the bike can attain - I couldn't be bothered.

Gear Shift:

The gear shift pattern is, one down and 5 up. The gear shift is slick and mostly positive. I still encounter the issue of the gear falling into neutral when shifting from 1 to 2 and sometimes not able to find the neutral when coming to stand still at signals etc. Takes some time and effort though it's improving.

The Ride / Suspension:

The suspension is quite comfortable one. Even when I jump into potholes, not much of the impact is transferred to the rider. At the same time, it gives a decent handling ability as well though I haven't tried any crazy stunt yet. I am still in the learning phase.

The riding position is a little leaned over, but not overtly uncomfortable. I had good back pain for the first week and haven't had any problems after that. I have read reports of the guys having shoulder pain as well, but then the advise is to use the wrist to balance. I have pain on the left wrist though after long rides. Plus, a tingling effect in both palms after a good fast ride for 30 odd mins.

The Brakes:

The bite in the front is really good and ABS kicks in well and the right time. I have had no complaints on this department yet. I am more of a defensive driver / rider and this works well for me.

Fuel Efficiency:

I have been seeing almost a 30 kmpl in all my drives - early morning city rides with no traffic, or even the highway rides.

The Pillion Seat:

Gosh!! This can be painful if a heavy person sits behind. There is a lean because of which the pillion tends to put their weight on the rider. I understood the design one day, when you accelerate (which the baby Ceeber happily does), the pillion, if sitting straight, will tend to move backwards. This can cause the rider to lose control as well. It's always advisable for them to have a little lean position towards to rider to have the balance.

The Headlight:

It's just adequate and nothing extraordinary. Am thinking of upgrading to a Extreme vision bulb. Am told the new LED fitment on 2018 CBR is a straight fit on the old CBR as well and costs 8K.

The replacements so far
  • Radiator
    There was some mud on the radiator and when I gave it for water wash, asked the guy to clean it. He did show his commitment, leaving most of the fins bent in the radiator. Though the bike didn't overheat (3 bars out of total 6 bars), I got it replaced to prevent any future issues. Since the bike is meant for highway rides, I didn't want to take a risk and get stuck somewhere. Cost me 6K.
  • Visor
    The stock visor (above headlamp) had turned yellow, so I replaced it. Costs around 500/-
  • Front Brake switch
    The brake light was not functioning when front brake was applied. Since I tend to use it more, I got this checked and replacedd
  • Mechanical oil seal
    This is known to be a common problem with the bike once it clocks 25-30K kms. There is slight oil spill near the engine. The problem is not very intense and one need to keep checking the oil level. This part is out of stock in most centres and Didar Honda, Egmore has a 20 piece backlog. With the help of bhpian rksan, I managed to procure this from Tansi Honda Bangalore through the Karthik - A big shoutout to both!
  • Front tyre tube
    Both the tyres are tubeless. The previous owner changed the rear to a Michelin and the front to stock Contigo 3K kms back. I noticed the front tyre keep losing pressure and while getting it checked, was show the front tyre side damaged due to the use of sharp object (while taking out of the rim). The option was to change the tyre and go for a Michelin or use a tube (actually was a trial to conclude whether it was the tyre or a bend rim). Fortunately, it was the tyre and paid a 400/- for the tube and the tyre is doing well now.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 21:32.
swiftnfurious is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

*****Safety Gear*****

MT Helmet

I bought an MT Mugello helmet from Moto101 at Thousand Lights. It costs me 4600/- and is 1450g. What I like is the fit (it tugs strong on your jaw and everyone may not prefer it) and the sound insulation. Even if someone honks right behind using a Hella red grill, only an acceptable level of noise comes inside, which makes the riding a lot more peaceful in city as well as highway.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp013.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp014.jpg

Scimitar Glove

I bought this glove as more of a first one before upgrading to a full gauntlet. Costs me 1300/- or so. Bought it (along with the below ones) from Spartan Pro Gear, Uthandi.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp015.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp016.jpg

Aspida Icarus Jacket

Went for this since there was some discount, plus this is a mesh jacket which is quite suitable for Chennai climate. It also comes with a removable rain liner

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp001.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp025.jpg

Aspida Eclipse Boot

This item also had a good 35% discount and just one size (mine ). Known to be water resistant as well.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp012.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 15:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

*****The Service Centre Experience*****

Have had experiences with Didar Honda Egmore and Kun Honda Adyar and both, so far have been positive.

***Didar Honda***

This is something recommended by a lot of owners on other forums as well. While I say "recommended", I (or they) mean it's better off than rest. The previous owner was maintaining the bike with them and I was quite happy how it was riding even after 5 years, so thought of sticking with them.

For the mechanical seal piece, the bike stayed with them for 2 weeks as the part wasn't easy to procure and finally, I took it without changing the piece. The other work done was regular service, visor and the radiator replacements. Paid a total of 9K.

Like : The SA Rajasekar is quite polite and even identified the previous owner looking at the number plate. He also said the bike was regularly maintained there. Promised me all the support he can.

Dislike : Though they said a complete electrical check was done, the issue with the front brake light application was missed.

***Kun Honda, Adyar***

The bike fell down during the photoshoot and it left OVRM broke. I went there to get this replaced. Previously, I had been there checking for the mechanical seal and had the CBR mechanic Ramesh's number with me. He confirmed me the part while I reached there and checked in the parts counter, they denied it.

However, Ramesh got the part (it was indeed in stock) and fixed it. he also diagnosed the brake switch issue in a jiffy and replaced it. Paid around 600/-.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 17:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

*****Rides so far*****

I had 3 long rides so far, 2 to Pondichery (140-150 kms one side) and 1 to Kasikona falls (120 odd kms one side) for a photoshoot. All the rides were enjoyable and nice. The first trip to Pondy was with friends, a bullet and a Dzire tagging along.

The second trip to Pondy was a quick planned one, solo ride. Took 3.5 hours to reach White town from Adyar (starting at 5.30 PM) and pushed off on Monday morning and reached Adyar in 2 hours (starting at 5.15 AM).

Some pics from Kasikona falls ride. Photoshoot and one of my favorite shots. Clicked by my bud and colleague - Vijay.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp001.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp007.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp025.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp019.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp024.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-bhp002.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 17:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 21:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick comparo with RR310 (belongs to the previous owner. Looks worthy of every single paisa. It looks (and is) much bigger from all angles, compared to the CBR.
(All these are mobile images - please excuse the image quality.)

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180506_110356012_hdr.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180506_110401996_hdr.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180506_110411057_hdr.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180506_110422695_hdr.jpg

The mileage at which I bought the bike.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180506_105417556.jpg

The first milestone.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180922_182154076.jpg

The oil spill because of mechanical seal issue.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180723_062144726.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180723_062200399.jpg

I was wearing this shoe on that trip (was before I bought the boots. See the way it's drenched in oil.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180723_072918837.jpg

The helmet after a trip to Pondy. After the last return trip, I pulled out dragon flies from the vent near mouth, one from the jacket mesh and another from the boots Velcro. I did feel sad for those which were crashing into me and bike through out.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180924_081705181.jpg

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180924_081711617.jpg

The damaged radiator.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img20180710wa0033.jpg

With the pilot lamps on.

Pre-worshipped 2013 Honda CBR 250R ABS. EDIT : 3 years & 20,000 km up!-img_20180922_182208447.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2018 at 21:26.
swiftnfurious is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 07:28   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 08:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. This 250 cc makes up for a perfect everyday bike. Spacious ergonomics and that smooth Honda engine is a sure short combination. Its all about relaxed pleasure riding here. That single cylinder is generally vibration free and fueling is spot on.
Down the line I would recommend a slip on to primarily save weight and improve sound and an after market seat for those long hauls.
Best of all, its the perfect bike to get your hands dirty on before eventually moving on to the bigger badder things.
Have fun !!
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 08:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Congratulations...

Down the line I would recommend a slip on to primarily save weight and improve sound and an after market seat for those long hauls.

Best of all, its the perfect bike to get your hands dirty on before eventually moving on to the bigger badder things.
Have fun !!
Thank you. I don't prefer a loud exhaust on the bike, so not sure slip on is on the way.

Do you have any recommendations on a seat?

Have to agree this is one of those easy to live / leran entry level tourer. Hopefully a better powered one will come into the garage 3-4 years later, a Versys or something similar; hopefully the pre-owned route.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend saddleman gel seat or zero gravity gel if they have one for this model. If sourcing them is hard then you can re foam the seat with some added gel layers both front and rear and that would work just as well. The seats on this thing are quite hard and do not settle down even after adding miles.
As regards a slip on, you could always employ baffles to ensure that the sound is to you liking.
I forgot to mention, but if you going to tour on this then I highly recommend a touring screen. The wind blast post 120 is hard on the wrist and neck.

Last edited by bigron : 10th October 2018 at 10:32.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

congratulations on the bike, it indeed is one good bike, wishing you many happy kms of happy riding.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 12:43   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! I was looking forward to this thread

First, Congratulations on the buying the best 250cc single on sale today! It was indeed a year long search and I am so happy for you that you were able to find a beautiful bike with low clicks on the odo.

The could be better portion of the review, I guess has all external factors and nothing to do with the bike. The console is colourful and elegant, after being used to rc 390 and old Duke 390 console, I prefer my cbr's console anyday.

And the tank range, 14 liters is still a decent capacity. Think about my RC 390, 9 liters tank with a 19 kmpl fuel efficiency.

Kudos on replacing the radiator, though in my opinion the older one would have been just fine. But peace of mind guaranteed now.

Honestly, I think CBR is the bike that caters to all our needs. It is extremely reliable, looks good, adequately powerful, is comfortable, fuel efficient and surprisingly handles well if you have nice tyres on them. If I had to choose a bike to live forever with, I would surely choose the CBR over the 390 twins (although the twins are mad fun).
The bike looks beautiful! Wish you thousands and thousands of safe, refined and comfortable miles on it.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th October 2018 at 12:48.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 12:52   #15
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.

My story was almost the same of yours, the only thing that I bought the bike to be used as a regular office commute since my classic 500 was not a smooth ship on Bangalore's traffic. I could get a silver color CBR with just about 19k on the ODO, it was so good to drive that I clocked about 4500-5000 Kms in the 4-5 months it was with me.

In Fact the other coincidence is that I use the same helmet too
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed