Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 11th October 2018, 12:11   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default 2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled

Yamaha has officially unveiled the 2019 R3 - currently confirmed for the US and European markets.

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-1.jpg

Styling has been updated according the current Yamaha superbike family look, but the front end has been made much sleeker with the help of LED headlamps. The bike retains most mechanicals from the original, but the revised suspension setup now gets 41mm KYB USD forks at the front. Whats completely new is the console, which is now fully digital as against the half analog console of the outgoing version.

Quote:
New for 2019 -

The all-new YZF-R3 features a range of features to boost performance, quality and style. Sleek new bodywork echoes Yamaha’s YZR-M1 MotoGP® machine, with high-tech LED lighting and new instruments. A new inverted fork offers enhanced suspension feel and feedback. The lower fuel tank and revised handlebar position improve rider ergonomics. And new Dunlop® radial tires boost grip and road feel.

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-2.jpg

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-3.jpg

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-4.jpg

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-5.jpg

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-6.jpg

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-7.jpg

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img-8.jpg

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-img.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th October 2018 at 12:14.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 12:50   #2
BHPian

Default re: 2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled

Definitely looks sportier than the current version. One of the reasons I had booked Ninja 300 was the design which I found more proportionate and sharper than R3 (the graphics on Ninja though were a little over the top for my liking). 2019 R3 looks edgier, and if they offer a slipper clutch then the call of blue will be too hard to resist.
greenoval is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 13:39   #3
BHPian

Default Re: 2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled

Any one has any idea about its launch plans in India & costing?

I feel it should be launched soon because people tend to stop buying current model if new model is expected.
Old 12th October 2018, 16:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure I like the styling at least from the pictures and video. The front fairing looks a tad too big, for me . I like the styling of the current R3. Hopefully they price it fairly whenever they launch it here and not go bonkers like the Ninja 400.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 17:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am not sure I like the styling at least from the pictures and video. The front fairing looks a tad too big, for me . I like the styling of the current R3. Hopefully they price it fairly whenever they launch it here and not go bonkers like the Ninja 400.
Yes, I too feel there is something that is spoiling the harmony of the fairing here. It just doesn't feel as cohesive as the current fairing. And they cannot afford to botch up on pricing as the only real upgrades are in the form of the inverted shocks and the LED head lamps. This is almost a face-lift - and hence there is no mechanical change in the new R3, unlike the Ninja 400 which was almost a completely new bike when compared with Ninja 300.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 20:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

I am sad, the current one appears more road biased and might be a better bet than this 2019 edition. Illumination wise as well the LED's do not light up enough (my personal opinion) to tour.

There should be two versions, like the R15 V3 and R15 *S*.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 12:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am sad, the current one appears more road biased and might be a better bet than this 2019 edition. Illumination wise as well the LED's do not light up enough (my personal opinion) to tour.
Yamaha hasn't had a good history with LEDs in India - R15 and FZ25 ones are weak at best. R3 might be different, being a CKD product.

But LEDs surely are much better than Halogens. Stock illumination on both Dominar and Ninja 1000 have been brilliant IMO - not needing any aux lights extra.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 12:19   #8
BHPian

As an existing R3 owner, this facelift doesn't give me any reasons to upgrade.

I am more than happy with my current ride, upgraded tires to metz, got a full system exhaust, installed the tail tidy, and it is now a race ready machine.

I would like to see something in the range of 600s now, which I am sure is pretty close for launch in 2019.

Yamaha will majorly be focusing on 300+ cc only (inside scoop)
Nitish.arnold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 19:00   #9
BHPian

I have been riding an Avenger 220 cruise for all touring needs for last 4-5 years. Have been to the ladakh circuit and this year to the spiti circuit with luggage and with my wife as pillion. During the recent spiti ride, I started feeling that I need a more powerful tourer, though my wife is determined to not let go of the avenger due to the comfort she feels on it. I have still been scouting for a more powerful and sportier tourer since returning from spiti last month, and R3 has been a prominent choice amongst the dominar (with face-lift rumors) and the upcoming KTM 390 adventure. I was even more excited when the 2019 R3 rumors started doing rounds, but feel disappointed after this recent official update.

There had been rumors about VVA being introduced in the new R3. Not a word about it so far.

I am not sure about the new fairing, except for the black one. I too think, like many others, that the current fairing looks much better.

No word about slipper clutch either. The N300 has it at a very tempting price point. If only it had a better low end torque.

If the riding position turns out to be more aggressive, than the current one, I think I will rather wait till the new dominar with rumored DOHC engine shows up, which will hopefully be vibe free. KTM 390 Adventure with lower compression ratio, without any heating issue and a passable pillion seat would just spice it up.

If wishes were horses...
ghatotkatch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 11:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

Here's a closer look from AIMExpo -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 09:11   #11
BHPian

I think this iteration of the R3 is quite alluring! Although I would have preferred the more menacing face of the R6 than what Yamaha have gone with

Name:  images 1.jpeg
Views: 4898
Size:  17.3 KB

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-2019yamahayzfr3.jpg

No mechanical changes announced yet, but the new R3 is getting 37mm Kayaba forks compared to a (generic?) 41mm that does duty on the current bike. The handlebars have been lowered by 20mm leading to a more committed riding position. Liveable, I guess.

IIRC, a lot of people flogged Yamaha for not making the R3 worthy of the 'R' tag. Seems like Yamaha has heard them, and have unambiguously moved towards making this new R3 "worthy".

As far as the India launch is concerned, we have a precedent in the form of the R15 V3. It came to us almost a year after its international debut. What's interesting is that it comes with better suspension components and tyres abroad, while we get the same forks and MRF tyres.

Yamaha may very well do the same with the R3, i.e, keep everything (including the handlebars) same and only update the looks and headlights. They could even pull a surprise and manufacture the R3 locally and knock Kawasaki off their high horse for good. I for one have high hopes! I like the white and red combo the most, but an inverted paint scheme, i.e, red as the main colour, with white accents would really "Revv my heart".

2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-2019yamahar3whitenew1024x759.jpg

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 19th October 2018 at 09:16. Reason: Spelling
Shumi_21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 14:20   #12
Team-BHP Support

First look video explaining the new bike -

Old 24th January 2019, 18:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

First Ride Impressions -

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-yama...-review#page-7

Quote:
A day spent with the 2019 YZF-R3 showed me that Yamaha isn’t going to just ride on the bike’s sales success, and that’s obviously a good thing. The styling updates have made it even more appealing to the average consumer, while the chassis and ergonomic upgrades make it more satisfying for the experienced rider without compromising that novice-friendly character. It’s pretty easy to see why the R3 has sold so well, and with the changes for 2019, the new model looks certain to continue that trend.
2019 Yamaha R3 unveiled-r3.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 19:25   #14
BHPian

Can Yamaha go the N300 way with R3?

I believe Yamaha R3 & Ninja 300 were always in close competition when all of a sudden Kawasaki decided to localize N300 thereby reducing the overall cost. The result was immediately noticed through increase in sales numbers.

If I see the past figures, R3 was actually having better numbers but with Kawasaki localization plan Yamaha saw major movement of prospective customers from R3 to N300.

In 2019 model there is no major changes expected in R3 which can attract customers, so only possibility can be match N300 prices.

Will Yamaha do that extra labour is a thing which cannot be guessed easily until we get insider information. But as Yamaha wants to concentrate on premium segment in India, I hope they do.

As of today price difference in Bangalore comes to around 70-80k (on road) between the 2 bikes which is too big to ignore by any chance.
dextor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 19:46   #15
BHPian

Name:  bjn2281301.jpeg
Views: 2410
Size:  46.5 KB

Ok, the new R3 in white looks pretty darn gorgeous!!

I also came across this excellent first ride review of the new R3 by RevZilla

A few points that stood out for me:

Quote:
.The big C-shaped “swoop” of the old model’s side fairings has been refined into a more mature surface. There’s a new fin element in the plastics just outboard of the cylinders, too. Remove it, and a no-cut, bolt-in frame slider drops right in .

Quote:
The big news on the new R3, along with the restyling, is the suspension. Yamaha bolted up a 37 mm inverted fork from KYB, sprung on the stiffer side for a bike in this class. To match, there’s also an upgraded KYB rear shock with seven steps of preload adjustment

Quote:
The R3 has two overdrive gears! The bike’s top speed is attainable in fourth gear, while fifth and sixth are useful for holding high speeds at reduced rpms. That’s why they’re called “overdrives.” Overdrives are practical and make longer trips less of a wound-out, buzzy experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Can Yamaha go the N300 way with R3?
Yes, Yamaha can easily localise production of the new R3, and might I say more efficiently and competently than Kawasaki because they already manufacture a huge number of motorcycles/scooters locally. Whether they will go through the trouble of localising the new R3 remains to be seen. I believe that Kawasaki have kind of forced their hand by announcing the reduction in spare prices. Let’s hope for the best!
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed